Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Doc was super cagey about the details. (Meaning he gave none.) He even joked about allowing us to make up our own reason for the injury and listed out some specific examples he would accept. Dude was super lighthearted about the whole thing.
The Fudgie the Whale bit was amazing, especially since they couldn't let it go. Every time they saw the guy in the Fudgie suit through the back doors after he left, they'd point him out.

I was lucky enough to get to be one of the questions at the NYCC panel, and they were handing out character model and 'tween drawings from the Korean studio they contract out to. Here's the one I got:

The girl behind me got one that was one of the shots of Gary talking with Shiela, and there were a bunch of notes scribbled on it. I wanted that one. :v:

Also, the Dark Horse booth was clearance selling everything the last couple hours of the con, and I was able to pick up the Go Team Venture book for $20. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
That rules. I hope Doc is ok

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

X_Toad posted:

I'm telling you, he will go live either with the Triad or at Colonel Gentleman's house.

Next season will start with Hank having his own "Everybody's Free" montage.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Dracula Factory posted:

More than the show I worry that this will stop Doc from playing live music, that would be terrible.

I knew he was a musician, but I'm not in the NYC area, and if he's gone on tour, I haven't heard. I take it you've seen him perform? What kind of music?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

tarlibone posted:

I knew he was a musician, but I'm not in the NYC area, and if he's gone on tour, I haven't heard. I take it you've seen him perform? What kind of music?
He has a long-standing feud with Voltaire, so I imagine something moderately gothy.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

wizzardstaff posted:

Not pictured: a person inside a giant hookah, surrounded by partygoers partaking in “essence of man”.

Also not pictured: the mad scientist Duran Duran’s orgasmic torture chamber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX2hTObHfxM

Peeny Cheez posted:

He has a long-standing feud with Voltaire, so I imagine something moderately gothy.

the band is called Weep, some songs are on youtube. his record label is Projekt which is like the gothy label.

I still want to know how they got Jarboe to do a voice way back when.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I immediately thought of this in terms of arching.

checks out

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 8, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Peeny Cheez posted:

I immediately thought of this in terms of arching.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Weep is a great post punk/goth band. In the commentary for season 2 I think, when Doc still wasn't sure if the show was real, he mentioned not being certain if he was going to keep doing Venture Bros because of his music. He was previously in the even gother band Mors Siphylitica with his then wife/the voice of Triana so I don't know which band he was talking about but needless to say I feel bad for how his condition will no doubt effect his first two loves (music and painting) while we all breathe a sigh of relief because it certainly won't stop him from writing/designing our favorite show.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

You definitely glean it from the book that it really is happenstance that Doc ended being a co-creator/co-main-writer for this goofy show. Bless him for doin' it tho.

Also, woulda been happy for a t-shirt with that 'HAMMER'S HEALTH TONIC' on it.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX2hTObHfxM

the band is called Weep, some songs are on youtube. his record label is Projekt which is like the gothy label.

I still want to know how they got Jarboe to do a voice way back when.
I never bothered looking it up before, but his previous bands seem pretty far up the pooping bats spectrum.

And I suppose he got Jarboe the same way he got J.G. Thirlwell to do the music. He did some choice name-dropping with the Monarch unauthorized biography.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I'm betting Hank is going to go find their mother.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The World Inferno posted:

You definitely glean it from the book that it really is happenstance that Doc ended being a co-creator/co-main-writer for this goofy show. Bless him for doin' it tho.

Also, woulda been happy for a t-shirt with that 'HAMMER'S HEALTH TONIC' on it.

I'm disappointed - the Illumina-tee was definitely the best shirt this time around. I guess I chose...wisely.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

TerminalRaptor posted:

I think so too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TerminalRaptor posted:

With the hints from Action Man, at least implying he knows what happened to their mother (whether or not the woman who moved away to get away from Doc was referring to her), and a theme of finally answering a lot of the series' questions, that seems likely. Although Hank could go a few ways, it looks like he's due for a journey of self-discovery.

I bet with both the boys out of the house Doc might finally get to try some normal life, reminded of when he went out partying while the boys' clones cooked.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

On a whim I decided to rewatch season 6 and watching Maybe No Go made me realize holy crap they knew what they were doing with Wide Whale from the start. Goddamn.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I learned how to count when I was three!

Now I get to count the years until season 8. :smith: I hope Doc Hammer is able to get himself a robot spine in the meantime.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Doc seems like the type to really get into canes. Raven head handel or something. Hope he gets better. Doc and Jackson both seem like they would fit in on SA.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Very slowly reading the art book. Can't remember if someone else who read the art book had brought up this fun factoid: They talk about the clone deaths, and even discussed what would happen when only one of the boys died. If the other kid didn't see it happen, they'd probably just him 'Oh, Dean has to go away for a couple days' or something. But if they saw the death happen... there was the idea that Brock would kill him to keep the secret from getting out. Even implied the 'Snap neck' 'You've thought about this.' conversation in Ice Station Impossible may be for that very reason. But they cut it because it was maybe a little too dark.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

deong posted:

Doc seems like the type to really get into canes. Raven head handel or something. Hope he gets better. Doc and Jackson both seem like they would fit in on SA.

He'll be the artist version of House MD. (Which I say only because in one episode, he picked a cane that had little flames painted on it.)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Peeny Cheez posted:

Of course it's Voltaire.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Mr. Fowl posted:

Of course it's Voltaire.
That's pretty much all I know about Voltaire, because I was never as goth as all that.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I always hated his promo material so I never checked him out.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
I assume most of us dorks got it, but in case anybody missed the reference on the ending stinger - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4YcCF8uLiI&t=120s

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Perry Normal posted:

I assume most of us dorks got it, but in case anybody missed the reference on the ending stinger - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4YcCF8uLiI&t=120s

Christ, I paid full price to see that crappy movie.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Pershing posted:

Christ, I paid full price to see that crappy movie.

I would never argue that it's a good movie, but I love it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Perry Normal posted:

Hahaha, I forgot Lian Neeson turned into Bruce Campbell at the end of that movie.

I think its more likely Hank is going to do some solo hero stuff, but his success is more about him being really lucky more than anything.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

twistedmentat posted:

I think its more likely Hank is going to do some solo hero stuff, but his success is more about him being really lucky more than anything.

Naw, Hank is an amazing adventurer when he gets the opportunity. Remember when he got to be The Bat?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I think the one thing that fell flat or didn't bring much to this season was the whole PP/OSI forbidden love thing. Accomplished nothing, then ended with him being brainwashed. Wasn't funny or exciting. Ho hum.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So continuing my rewatch, on Home Insecurity now, a lot of great bits in this episode(especially everything in Brock's parts), although Underbeit is definitely the weakest part outside of the Tiger Bomb/Balm joke, I think part of it is they have everything involving him and Underland be a bit too bleak and dark for the show's overall tone(especially Season 1's) particularly when they try to treat it the same as any other gag in the show*, also both Catclops and Girl Hitler are some of the lamest concepts they've ever come up with

*which is probably why they phased out Underland during Season 2(outside of the odd reference here and there)^, and kept Underbeit away till the Revenge Society stuff started up(and honestly after their first episode he was basically completely unimportant)

^which was probably for the best, as a lot of things surrounding it make little sense with the rest of the show's setting as it evolved, like you'd think having control over an entire country(even if it is a relatively small one) would have meant Underbeit would have been Council material, or at least a Level 10(and yes I know neither of those were established yet during the major Underbeit episodes in seasons 1 and 2, but I'm looking at this retroactively from what we know now in Season 7), even taking into account that he focused most of his efforts on arching Rusty and thus was nowhere near living up to his true villainous potential

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't think Underbheit is a Guild member, though.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

The Kingfish posted:

Naw, Hank is an amazing adventurer when he gets the opportunity. Remember when he got to be The Bat?

He would have singlehandedly won the day if not for getting the itis from that big crab dinner

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?

Perry Normal posted:

And here I thought it was a nod to the dark knight trilogy this makes way more sense tho

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mantis42 posted:

I don't think Underbheit is a Guild member, though.

He mentions it during his debut episode in a manner that heavily implies he's a member

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

drrockso20 posted:

He mentions it during his debut episode in a manner that heavily implies he's a member

And he and the Monarch decide not to file as a team with the Guild in Home Insecurity.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

I think the one thing that fell flat or didn't bring much to this season was the whole PP/OSI forbidden love thing. Accomplished nothing, then ended with him being brainwashed. Wasn't funny or exciting. Ho hum.

It was funny as a bit gag at the end of season 6 but just didn't translate into an ongoing joke.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It existed to set up the Peril Partnership
Subplot.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

420 Gank Mid posted:

He would have singlehandedly won the day if not for getting the itis from that big crab dinner

He did it while hopped up on green coffee beans. Coffee contains caffeine. Caffeine is a stimulant. Stimulants are used to treat ADHD. :dogbutton:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Fighting Trousers posted:

He did it while hopped up on green coffee beans. Coffee contains caffeine. Caffeine is a stimulant. Stimulants are used to treat ADHD. :dogbutton:

can confirm that coffee sort of kind of treats ADHD

I mean to be as effective as meds I'd be drinking enough coffee that I'd have to live in my bathroom- but yeah caffeine/nicotine are better to have while unmedicated than not

so basically how long until Hank starts smoking

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Always found it funny that treating ADHD is basically fighting fire with fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Always found it funny that treating ADHD is basically fighting fire with fire.

And yet it works. Who knew?

It was a brave doctor/parent who decided to treat their uncontrollable hyper kid with amphetamine.