Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hakimashou posted:

they dont have kalbi on them either but hey it's america

Yeah but its still not a street taco. Its some weird thing that while it tastes good isn't a street taco.

I mean unless you can find me the Korean dude with a push cart making some tacos then I will give it to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
its a precooked prepackage product formerly sold at Costcos across suburban America

no cheese on the skreet yhurd?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

skooma512 posted:

Cheese and bulgogi :catstare:

1) It's absolutely delicious and it works

2) Koreans put cheese on god damned everything and it's awesome.

Cheese and ribs

Cheese and corn

Cheese and fire chicken

Cheese and spicy rice cake stew

Koreans love their cheese and I love their cheesy dishes.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
God drat, I need to be in South Korea apparently cause that poo poo looks good.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Bulgogi is basically sugared steak, done with typical east asian flavors like garlic/sesami oil/ginger/etc.

There is a shitload of sugar in it. Like, a ton. Tablespoons of sugar.

I'm honestly amazed that it hasn't caught on in America given how it's basically the answer to "how can we so add as much sugar as possible to... protein...?"

Like sure, you could just be eating steak with salt and pepper or a marinade or really the same exact recipe without sugar, but have you tried it with [a shitload of sugar] yet?

arisu posted:

Koreans love their cheese and I love their cheesy dishes.

Korea has secretly been out-America'ing America for a while now. To their credit, it hasn't resulted much in the way of obesity on their soil. I'm just wary of bringing that kind of food to mainstream America. Meat is one of the last remaining things that we don't stuff with sugar.

That being said, while Asians are typically more resilient to obesity on the whole, they actually develop obesity-related complications at a lower BMI than obesity-vulnerable populations.

That is why South Korea pegs obese BMI at just 25, well below western standards. And following those stricter metrics, over a quarter of Seoul residents are obese.

quote:

Asians had the lowest BMI among all groups. However, the impact of increasing BMI on risk of hypertension and diabetes was significantly greater in Asians.

For each one unit increase in BMI, Asians were significantly more likely to have hypertension (OR 1.15; 95 % CI 1.13–1.18) compared to non-Hispanic whites, blacks, and Hispanics. Similar trends were seen for diabetes (Asians: OR 1.15; 95 % CI 1.13–1.18). The risk of hypertension in Asians with BMI ≥ 22 was similar to non-Hispanic whites with BMI ≥ 27 and blacks with BMI ≥ 28. The risk of diabetes in Asians with BMI ≥ 28 was similar to non-Hispanic whites with BMI ≥ 30.

Despite lower overall BMI compared to other groups, weight gain in Asians is associated with significantly higher risks of hypertension and diabetes. Compared to other ethnic groups, similar risks of hypertension and diabetes are seen in Asians at much lower BMI.

In case you're too lazy to read that, Asians develop similar signs of hypertension at a 22 BMI as black people develop at 28 BMI.

So the takeaway here is don't trust Korean steak loaded with sugar and have some self respect.

Taima fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 8, 2018

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
An iconic korean american comfort junk food dish is like, a bowl of spicy ramen noodle soup with a slice of american cheese on top.

quote:

But as with so much of Mr. Choi’s flavor-dense cooking, the dish contains more complexity and cultural history than may be apparent. For many Korean-American children, instant ramen qualifies as after-school-or-after-the-party, straight-from-the-bag soul food. “It’s our snack, it’s our peanut butter and jelly sandwich, it’s our bowl of cereal,” Mr. Choi said. “It’s something that has been a part of my life forever.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/18/dining/ramen-a-quick-fix-for-the-soul.html

Mr Choi is Roy Choi the guy who more or less started the whole korean taco / trendy high quality food truck scene in LA.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 8, 2018

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
You forgot the sliced up

QUARTER

POUND

PLUS

ALL

BEEF

HOT

DOGS

MOTHERFUCKER

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
bottom line korean food is really good and costco needs to sell more of it

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Taima posted:

So the takeaway here is don't trust Korean steak loaded with sugar and have some self respect.

Sir, the boring person thread is over there

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Taima posted:

Bulgogi is basically sugared steak, done with typical east asian flavors like garlic/sesami oil/ginger/etc.
The 'co bulgogi bake supposedly has less than 11g of sugar, thats basically nothing for even non-western diets

most recipes call for marinades with 1 tablespoon sugar +/- for a lb of steak, that's also pretty much nothing especially because what actually get absorbed into the meat is a fraction of that. i've never once had bulgogi where i went "man this taste like candy steak!", like yeah there's a slight hint of sweetness but it's mostly savory with aformentioned flavors. i really dont know where you're eating it that loads it up with sugar.

given a single root beer soda or something has 40g of sugar, of which americans chug by the case of, i dont think you need to be worried about americans eating less than a teaspoon of sugar thats been absorbed into a lb of meat

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Er no, classic bulgogi typically has 2-3 tablespoons of sugar (sometimes white, sometimes brown) per pound of beef.

Western recipes sometimes cut that to less, which is probably what you're seeing, but the fact does remain that many westerners give a hall pass to Asian food because of the obesity rates there, which is a mistake.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

That 2-3 tablespoons of sugar is in the marinade, a huge amount of which is chucked away.

I'm not gonna say bugolgi is the healthiest food but you're going way too nuts on this.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I'll accept that

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

BaconCopter posted:

You forgot the sliced up

QUARTER

POUND

PLUS

ALL

BEEF

HOT

DOGS

MOTHERFUCKER

but does it come with a fountain soda?

How about a refill?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm still struggling with the hundred percent pork hot dog... I've never heard of anything like that, what do they taste like?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm still struggling with the hundred percent pork hot dog... I've never heard of anything like that, what do they taste like?
Like an evil Hebrew National dog.

Alternately... Like a sausage.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Squashy Nipples posted:

That's a normal hot dog

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

No, normal hot dogs are 100% beef!

Only lovely hotdogs for children have pork and chicken in them.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Squashy Nipples posted:

No, normal hot dogs are 100% beef!

Only lovely hotdogs for children have pork and chicken in them.

You're a victim

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ok, I take that back, the Hot Wieners from Olnyville have veal and pork in them, so I guess I don't only eat 100% beef.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

hakimashou posted:

bottom line korean food is really good and costco needs to sell more of it

I think most of the West Coast ones do. I've certainly been picking up the pre-marinated bulgogi in the deli case for years in Seattle.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Squashy Nipples posted:

That's just a sausage, yo

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

binge crotching posted:

I think most of the West Coast ones do. I've certainly been picking up the pre-marinated bulgogi in the deli case for years in Seattle.

We just started getting the bulgogi in the meat dept. Hopefully they add some more items. Gonna leave comment cards from here on out complaining about the removal of the Polish and the never having the 'gogi bake.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The 9.99 flannel arrived and can confirm they are legit good.

I only bought two but I think I’m gonna order the two other colors.

They are perfect for those chilly southern California days.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I was going to go get a chicken bake and a dog and make a bakedog just for shock and awe, but the food court is under construction.

Got Kirkland sheets and some pants instead.

Pimpy Longcockings
Oct 6, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Tube meat made out of pork ??

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Hypnolobster posted:

I was going to go get a chicken bake and a dog and make a bakedog just for shock and awe, but the food court is under construction.

When the DOTA tournament was going on across the street, I glimpsed a gamer chowing down on a sandwich composed of two slices of pizza wrapped around two hot-dogs.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

When the DOTA tournament was going on across the street, I glimpsed a gamer chowing down on a sandwich composed of two slices of pizza wrapped around two hot-dogs.

I am not sure how I feel about this but now I’m tempted to try it...

Also headed to Costco at 3pm on a Monday. Google claims it’s not busy but we will see how true that is.

Edit wasn’t empty but the lines were super short and I got some cheap flannels.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 8, 2018

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Butt naked between Kirkland sateen sheets and a sherpa.

PBUC

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

I went to my first Costco Business Center today. It is totally different but totally the same!

I did pick up 15 lb of beef short ribs and a 12 lb pork butt, gonna smoke some good bbq on Friday for some visiting guests! All that meat for just a bit over $100, PBUC

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

MarcusSA posted:

The 9.99 flannel arrived and can confirm they are legit good.

I only bought two but I think I’m gonna order the two other colors.

They are perfect for those chilly southern California days.

I've got a very high number of the costco flannels. I think I buy a few of theme very year, they're great.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

I've got a very high number of the costco flannels. I think I buy a few of theme very year, they're great.

I actually ended up buying two other brands and they seem great as well.

A++ would use Costco to outfit my wardrobe in flannel again.

Also my Costco still had a boat load of the nicer board shorts left lol.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

All 16 Costco Food Court Items, Ranked
https://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/10/all_16_costco_food_court_items_ranked_worst_to_bes.html

Number one is the Churro? gently caress off New Jersey.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

https://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/10/all_16_costco_food_court_items_ranked_worst_to_bes.html

lol I mean its good but it aint that good.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MarcusSA posted:

lol I mean its good but it aint that good.

The twisting actually makes it worse, imo. A regular straight churro would be better

Also good lord that writing is bad

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 9, 2018

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tim Whatley posted:

The people who wrote that article are loving idiots.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The writer is extremely snotty for someone from New Jersey

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Brothers and sisters in the faith, just ordered the hard to find Apple Watch 4 at $15 off retail with $8.30 added to executive cash bonus, with free shipping to the local temple for pickup.

$23.30 off spankin’ new Apple stuff. PBUC.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
My wife just texted me that we are going to Costco tonight. Going to buy more sherpa throws, I am going to cover my house with them. PBUC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Flaggy posted:

My wife just texted me that we are going to Costco tonight. Going to buy more sherpa throws, I am going to cover my house with them. PBUC

pick me up a hot dog on the way home

thanks dad