Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

FunkyAl posted:

I wrote a little thing in my sketchbook....and here it is! There is at least one very conspicuous typo

This is fun. 10/10 would read more bug adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

I took a bit of a break from writing after being a disappointment to myself in Thunderdome and started blacksmithing at the local Makerspace out of the desire to find something other than the misery of everyday work to inspire me.

I've got some more architectural stuff in the works but it's been pretty exciting and I'm going to be running blacksmithing demos at Makerfaire here in Milwaukee, which is the largest free Makerfaire in the free world.

These kick rear end :ese:

steeltoedsneakers
Jul 26, 2016

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I just met with another local VJ and I am very squee.

what are you using to mix video sources when you VJ?

I've been using TouchViz on iOS, a Critter & Guitari Videoscope and bits and pieces from Touchdesigner - but I'm not great at pulling it all together into something that isn't fiddly.. The elegant solutions (Resolume etc.) also seem to be the expensive ones..

(I'm on a low-spec laptop PC, comfortable switching it over to Linux if needed)

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

steeltoedsneakers posted:

what are you using to mix video sources when you VJ?

I've been using TouchViz on iOS, a Critter & Guitari Videoscope and bits and pieces from Touchdesigner - but I'm not great at pulling it all together into something that isn't fiddly.. The elegant solutions (Resolume etc.) also seem to be the expensive ones..

(I'm on a low-spec laptop PC, comfortable switching it over to Linux if needed)

I wish I could help. I just started and I went with Resolume.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hi thread,

Does anybody have any recommendations about how to make my own kintsugi? The examples I have seen from DIY kits all look very amateurish and I cannot tell if that is due to user error or due to the kit being poo poo.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I'd assume anyone using a DIY kit is an amateur?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

lofi posted:

I'd assume anyone using a DIY kit is an amateur?

You're right. :negative:

Zajajaja
Jan 10, 2008
Hi all, sorry if this isn't the right thread for this but I've been trying to find a short story for a long time and I swear it came from these forums. I figured the chat thread would probably be a good place to start!
The plot was about a chinese 'farmer' in the far future who lived in an 'attention economy' it involved a drone that pepper sprayed people to get their attention and eventually two giant robots fighting each other piloted by major influencers with the protagonist finding himself ontop of one of the robots, thus gaining a lifetime supply of attention credits? If this isn't the place to look lemme know ya'll.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I know the one you're talking about. I'd ask one of the buttcoin threads.

Zajajaja
Jan 10, 2008
Come to think of it that was where I saw it! Thanks!

Wobbly Python
Jan 2, 2014
I've been out of the creative space until a couple of months ago when I table-sat for some friends at a local convention. After getting back in touch with them, I'm finally getting the chance to put on a drawing games show. Gonna' broadcast the first ever instance to Twitch this Saturday thanks to their participation.

You've really got to appreciate the friends that'll show up to help you out, although I don't think that's exclusive to art.

Anyone else got things going right for them at the minute?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Wobbly Python posted:

I've been out of the creative space until a couple of months ago when I table-sat for some friends at a local convention. After getting back in touch with them, I'm finally getting the chance to put on a drawing games show. Gonna' broadcast the first ever instance to Twitch this Saturday thanks to their participation.

You've really got to appreciate the friends that'll show up to help you out, although I don't think that's exclusive to art.

Anyone else got things going right for them at the minute?

I finally got my drum controller hooked up to my visuals program in the way that I want. I still have no musical talent, but that's where quantization comes in.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Wobbly Python posted:

Gonna' broadcast the first ever instance to Twitch this Saturday thanks to their participation.

Don't forget to link it here! I'm well on for watching that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

We made some songs! This is me on cello, and an old school friend on the rest - fellow goon steeltoedsneakers does live glitch visuals when we play.

steeltoedsneakers
Jul 26, 2016

sebmojo posted:

We made some songs! This is me on cello, and an old school friend on the rest - fellow goon steeltoedsneakers does live glitch visuals when we play.

I also made y'all an album cover and made rumbly glitches for one of those tracks, young man.

But yes, this is a thing that I too have going right for me at the minute.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Anyone know if 1340art is legit? I've got some feelers from them about showing on their Instagram

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

They're a vanity model. I get messages from their "curators" on IG too. If you google 1340art their model is to reel you into paying to enter their magazine contests.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I couldn't find a thread specifically for sharing or showing off projects, so I made one.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
Trying to be more broadly creative so I just wanted to speak up and say how much I appreciate this subforum for helping encourage me to do that.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I made a thread about artist trading cards! You should all sign up and swap real-life tiny art with fellow goons!

e: It, um, decided to change it's tag to 'poo poo post' in a fit of irony sometime during my 50,000 previews. :blush: Are there any mods reading this chat who could change it?

lofi fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 16, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

lofi posted:

I made a thread about artist trading cards! You should all sign up and swap real-life tiny art with fellow goons!

e: It, um, decided to change it's tag to 'poo poo post' in a fit of irony sometime during my 50,000 previews. :blush: Are there any mods reading this chat who could change it?

I believe so, yes.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I guess anything not-shitpost would work - just a nice simple 'art' would be ideal :)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Done, neat idea for a thread!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
When is something art? What point does the art begin, is it a point in your soul? What's to a song that makes you feel it? Everyone can sing, so how come some people clearly can't? Is it real? Did it change you? Can it change you? What's changed you lately?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My personal definition of art is something that someone, anyone has deemed art. It can be anything, good or bad. The only requirement is that someone has to feel it’s art, and it can be for any reason they see fit. I don’t see art as a compliment to the subject matter as many people do. I see it as a way to describe a feeling.

I always find “what is art” conversations to be silly, because I believe there is good art and bad art, but it is all art, and it’s all totally subjective and not even worth discussing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think there is no such thing as art, there is art-feeling. We call things that are made to elicit art-feeling art, but they aren't the only source of it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Agreed. I see the word art as something closer to “happy”, “sad” or “angry” than “painting” or “book”

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 7, 2018

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

dreadmojo posted:

I think there is no such thing as art, there is art-feeling. We call things that are made to elicit art-feeling art, but they aren't the only source of it.

Thanks for putting into words a feeling I didn’t realize I had.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I guess, then, there's different sorts of art-feeling in the same way as there's different sorts of 'happy' - you've got high-intellectual 'hmm, this is an interesting puzzle/commentary', you've got low-brow 'heh, that's funny', and so on... Yeah, I like the art-as-emotion thing. I wonder if it comes from a similar place as religion/spirituality, given how often they overlap?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. Art needs to be it's own type of feeling because it can evoke all other emotions. Art can make you happy, sad, comfortable, angry, annoyed, or challenged. To me the word "art" is just saying that something has more emotional value than the sum of it's parts.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

All I know is that there are people out there who get real antsy about art-as-an-emotion, and the fact that art isn't a universal constant that you can use to brand things as Definitely Art™.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think the problem is that most people seem to use art as a word to validate things. Saying "this is art" is essentially saying "this is good" which can be articulated just fine with the latter statement. Imo that's the wrong way to think about art.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Yeah, I think people tend to focus too much on "Is this art?" when there are better questions out there. "Why do I enjoy this?" "Why do I NOT Enjoy this?" "How does this make me feel?" and "Do I get these feelings from anything else in my life?" are all much more useful questions. All these questions are intensely personal and relevant mainly to yourself, "Is this art?" is no different except it lets the asker pretend to make an objective factual statement that's base on nothing but their own personal opinions an tastes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yep. 'This object does a good job of producing art feeling in me'

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Fair points all! However there's defenitely a difference between things that are art and things that are of observable quality. Art I think is related to truth and creating meaning within a life. There's a reason people have always marked their environment or created myths and music and images and rituals, you can forge meaning within the fact not just that you lived, but were of a certain time or tribe or place or feeling or any aspect of an human animal living and sensing. It reflects your life and environment and is some way real. But would you call propaganda art? There's an art to it, like there's an art to all design, but does intentionally manipulating and obscuring symbols for the purposes of a state or other entity rob it of its true soul? How about people using principles of design to create eye catching packages? Can you actually call the image on a box of oreos art? It's more like copywriting. What do you call a bazooka joe comic? You can make art within a commecial context, but if you let it get too commercial something does bleed from it. The sistine chapel is about as good as the avengers movies. Both are worthless in the eyes of grizzly man. Or pinocchio!

veni veni veni posted:

I always find “what is art” conversations to be silly, because I believe there is good art and bad art, but it is all art, and it’s all totally subjective and not even worth discussing.

Subjectivity is most of what makes something worth discussing

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 8, 2018

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
21st century performance art peaked early with 9/11

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

incredible flesh posted:

21st century performance art peaked early with 9/11

just you wait for "the 9/11 kids"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FunkyAl posted:

That's not what I meant. It's not worth discussing whether or not something does or does not qualify as art. Discuss the subject matter itself, not whether or not it deserves to be in some theoretical category.

FunkyAl posted:

Fair points all! However there's defenitely a difference between things that are art and things that are of observable quality. Art I think is related to truth and creating meaning within a life. There's a reason people have always marked their environment or created myths and music and images and rituals, you can forge meaning within the fact not just that you lived, but were of a certain time or tribe or place or feeling or any aspect of an human animal living and sensing. It reflects your life and environment and is some way real. But would you call propaganda art? There's an art to it, like there's an art to all design, but does intentionally manipulating and obscuring symbols for the purposes of a state or other entity rob it of its true soul? How about people using principles of design to create eye catching packages? Can you actually call the image on a box of oreos art? It's more like copywriting. What do you call a bazooka joe comic? You can make art within a commecial context, but if you let it get too commercial something does bleed from it. The sistine chapel is about as good as the avengers movies. Both are worthless in the eyes of grizzly man. Or pinocchio!

Has someone found that Oreo package fascinating for some reason and deemed it art? If so, yes. If not, no. Keep in mind that someone can find art in something that the creator did not intend.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 8, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FunkyAl posted:

The object is just an object, what matters is the feeling we get from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

veni veni veni posted:

That's not what I meant. It's not worth discussing whether or not something does or does not qualify as art. Discuss the subject matter itself, not whether or not it deserves to be in some theoretical category.

You can do both, but frankly its all theoretical! Art is full of like, made up dragons and poo poo. I hope paintings of dragons never go out of style by the way.......with hooooordes of riches! The category is like, who's delivering it and why? a church does for a different reason a poet does for a different reason zootopia did. if something serves a social function, intent application etc all matter. You can't fake art. Will computer art all be the same? Art made by computers I mean. Like a hive brain they all share a minecraft server. Until of course one decides to be an individual and has an adventure with motorcycles girls etc. fine dining and a sojourn at the lake, like mouse on a motorcycle but with a robot. Rated PG-13 to inspire risky 11 year olds. If I make a movie like this its future categorization will depend on intent, honesty, and meaning. Nobody will keep the art around if it is like the emojie movie and cannot inspire anything and has an ad for playstation games. Art is a broad term because it in a sense is the measure of any and all qualitys that you find meaningful, and I think lack of common definition is in fact crucial because it provides insight into an individual's frame of reference and allows you to understand them in that sense.

dreadmojo posted:

The object is just an object, what matters is the feeling we get from it

Who makes objects? I might like dagwood, but I throw it away at then end of the day. But I keep drawings friends give me!