Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Perfect thank you!

nah fam u just purge

On another note, I really really like the way in which ship design works in the New Horizons mod. There's new categories of modifiers, and it's impossible for one ship to be maximally good at everything, forcing you to have multiple types of ships in your navy - and importantly, you will have far fewer ships than in the base game, making each one significant, preventing you from just drowning opponents in numbers.

The new mechanic where you have to constantly scrap old classes without any return is a bit tiresome, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Something I realy need to mod is to allow egalitarians to move pops without their stupid faction flipping the gently caress out, just make it really expensive. Everyone has their price.

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014
Or set random prices.

I was shipping off pops that were being exterminated to spread unhappiness when hit a rare "this pop is resisting relocation". Oh no! I sighed and shipped his friends to be joiced into batteries on extermination hub #27.

But AFAIK they're doing away with individual pop control altogether in Le Guin. All you can do is make immigration + or -

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

KomeradeCanadian posted:

Or set random prices.

I was shipping off pops that were being exterminated to spread unhappiness when hit a rare "this pop is resisting relocation". Oh no! I sighed and shipped his friends to be joiced into batteries on extermination hub #27.

But AFAIK they're doing away with individual pop control altogether in Le Guin. All you can do is make immigration + or -

I think they said you can still manually resettle pops.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really wish I could go back to new horizons but I can't stand how loving cluttered the galaxy is and also I really can't stand the pre 2.0-ness of the whole thing. Urgh.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

OwlFancier posted:

I really wish I could go back to new horizons but I can't stand how loving cluttered the galaxy is and also I really can't stand the pre 2.0-ness of the whole thing. Urgh.

I had a bash at playing it and having never actually used Warp even when the game was new it felt so loving STRANGE to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I avoided using it pre 2.0 but with all the new stuff post 2.0 that's just designed around hyperlanes I can't go back, just too tiresome.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
New Horizons 2.0 uses hyper lanes. That's fundamental to Stellaris 2.0 and cant be changed. It just turns the hyperlanes up to the .maximum connections and makes them invisible on the map.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which is to say it functionally does not use hyperlanes, the point of hyperlanes is to create terrain which new horizons does not have, basically.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Does New Horizons have jump drive esque stuff or am I stupid?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Xenaero posted:

Does New Horizons have jump drive esque stuff or am I stupid?

Yes it does.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Is it still possible for no end game crisis to pop up, or will one eventually show? I'm now in my second game in a row playing to 2430+, and neither game had a crisis.

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014
It will keep trying to roll a crisis once in 5yrs. The default odds are 10 to roll each crisis, 120 not to, but a bunch of multipliers if you have a lot of robots, or jump drives.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Crisis also doesn’t trigger until 50 years after the end game date, at the earliest.

That’s 2450 by default.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
It's pretty neat to play with mods for buildable ancient buildings (dark matter power plants and autonomous fabricators) and being able to build multiple megastructures simultaneously -- you can get to a neat positive feedback loop of resource production, with ringworlds everywhere (except for binary/trinary star systems :mad:).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Taking the capital worlds of FEs always feels special because of the ancient buildings, I think it would lose some of it's luster for me if I can just build them everywhere myself.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Palleon posted:

Is it still possible for no end game crisis to pop up, or will one eventually show? I'm now in my second game in a row playing to 2430+, and neither game had a crisis.
It doesn't start rolling until 50 years after your endgame slider date, so a 2400 "End Game" setting (the default) means a 2450 crisis at the earliest (and there's a delay of 200 - 1000 days after a successful roll before you start getting popups)

Are weighting factors additive or multiplicative? If you have a factor 4 and a factor 1.5 is that a total of 6 or 5.5?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Torrannor posted:

Taking the capital worlds of FEs always feels special because of the ancient buildings, I think it would lose some of it's luster for me if I can just build them everywhere myself.
It looks like you'll get the best of both worlds with the new system, being able to ultimately build them yourself, but at the cost of hard to acquire, highly desirable resources.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

Are weighting factors additive or multiplicative? If you have a factor 4 and a factor 1.5 is that a total of 6 or 5.5?

Multiplicative.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Torrannor posted:

I agree, I'd like to think that FE is 1000 years of development and being able to build their stuff without that length of time makes them seem younger and strange.
I wish the game had more FE style stuff, it's my favourite bit - that Babylon 5 "first ones" vibe.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Taear posted:

I agree, I'd like to think that FE is 1000 years of development and being able to build their stuff without that length of time makes them seem younger and strange.
I wish the game had more FE style stuff, it's my favourite bit - that Babylon 5 "first ones" vibe.

Oh yes, the War in Heaven was clearly modeled on Babylon 5 and I loved it. Until I saw the execution, but that's a different matter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could definitely make FE tech buildable, but only they have the resources for it. So their tech is less utterly incomprehensible and more simply the result of 1000 years of accumulation.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I personally like the idea that FEs are using tier 8/9/10 etc crazy advanced technology and the tier 5/6 stuff we get from analyzing them is best we can reverse engineer from technology far beyond our understanding.

I'd like to see a few fallen empire or precursor events similar to the L-gates. Something that you can't even interact with until your science is advanced enough in the late game to begin making sense of it, but has the potential for gaining powerful technologies. Sort of like how the covenant navy become so powerful by reverse engineering Forerunner artifacts. Along those lines it would be nice to have a few more powerful / dangerous locations to fight over in the medium to late game. "Have to steal the precursor shipyard from the fanatic purifiers before the reverse engineer Tier 3 spinal mounted guns for their battleships" or something similar.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Frankly my wish for Fallen Empires is that they were more active and more strange.

If you think about what a FE is today, it's really simple:
1) A minor guiding influence on gameplay (some you want to make happy, some you just don't want to piss off)
2) A way to block expansion and wars in certain directions.
3) A long-term goal to acquire their tech.

I want there to be a middle stage between the Fallen and Awakened empires. One where they are clearly active. They're doing things. They're attempting to guide other empires towards a goal of some sort. They can make requests and reward the empires who fulfill those with money or tech or new worlds or stuff. Refuse and they go elsewhere, or perhaps retaliate.

Ultimately I'd like to see them as another form of mid-game destabilization that shakes things up like the Great Khan.

We probably need a diplomacy/espionage rework before this is really feasible, though.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I would like to see if the conditions are right for the Fallen Empires on a map to be a Federation that in mid-game de-facto enforce galactic policy as an obstacle.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Finding a ruined ringworld doesn't trigger any of the "Oh wow aliens!" events. Apparently "Huge metal ring in space" isn't as exciting a discovery as an abandoned playground.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Splicer posted:

Finding a ruined ringworld doesn't trigger any of the "Oh wow aliens!" events. Apparently "Huge metal ring in space" isn't as exciting a discovery as an abandoned playground.

It obviously formed naturally. Now, about my flat Earf thesis....

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Splicer posted:

That seems like a huge oversight.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cynic Jester posted:

It obviously formed naturally. Now, about my flat Earf thesis....
I was playing spiritualists to be fair

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

binge crotching posted:

That seems like a huge oversight.
Yeah it was about about 2AU in diameter

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

ConfusedUs posted:

I want there to be a middle stage between the Fallen and Awakened empires. One where they are clearly active. They're doing things. They're attempting to guide other empires towards a goal of some sort. They can make requests and reward the empires who fulfill those with money or tech or new worlds or stuff. Refuse and they go elsewhere, or perhaps retaliate.

Ultimately I'd like to see them as another form of mid-game destabilization that shakes things up like the Great Khan.

We probably need a diplomacy/espionage rework before this is really feasible, though.

That also more accurately describes how they behaved in the early parts of B5 before it all hit the fan. Would make the war in heaven more interesting if some FEs and empires were already aligned to a degree.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Anyone got a tech gently caress up where you'll never get something like the basic energy nexus or basic mineral processing plant but do finally research the level 2 version but still can't build any because you never got the first?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Splicer posted:

Huh, I swear I've had that before... it's like "Oh poo poo even though it's ruined whoever built this thing is just a touch more advanced than we are :staredog:"

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014

Soylent Pudding posted:

That also more accurately describes how they behaved in the early parts of B5 before it all hit the fan. Would make the war in heaven more interesting if some FEs and empires were already aligned to a degree.

There is some meddling, they can ask for your pops or try to vaccinate you with varied results. But I agree, I'd like some proxy war type poo poo. "hey kid, have this 20k fleet of enigmatic cruisers, go attack FOE STRONGER THAN YOU" with consequences for wasting it on an ether drake.

There's also an event where a space calculator says you're hosed and will try to uplift your species but the best payout is that you get minor buffs and it fucks with gene modding, so it's rear end. And you have to be weakest to get it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Splicer posted:

Possibly it triggers the remnants event, but you probably already had that from precursor stuff. I'll check though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Darkrenown posted:

Possibly it triggers the remnants event, but you probably already had that from precursor stuff. I'll check though.
No, that's what threw me. It was in literally the first star system I explored. Which sucks for my guys, their first step into the unknown reveals the mother of all Ozymandias constructs.

Remnants triggered later on the alien theme park or playground or something.

I dug into the files, I can't see any links between the ruined megastructure events and story event 5, or any way for story event 5 to trigger independently from finding one.

Ms Adequate posted:

Huh, I swear I've had that before... it's like "Oh poo poo even though it's ruined whoever built this thing is just a touch more advanced than we are :staredog:"
Yeah it triggers the "Oh wow a ringworld!" event but none of the "Oh wow aliens!" story events.

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014
Probably because the average galaxy has 1.5 ringworlds but 500 or so planets with some form of bacteria, hostile wildlife or worms, so they didn't code for "oh i think aliens must have built this gigantic space building.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

KomeradeCanadian posted:

Probably because the average galaxy has 1.5 ringworlds but 500 or so planets with some form of bacteria, hostile wildlife or worms, so they didn't code for "oh i think aliens must have built this gigantic space building.
Literally unplayable

Also how awful are my astronomers that they didn't notice this thing occluding the star right next door?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 8, 2018

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Splicer posted:

Literally unplayable

Also how awful are my astronomers that they didn't notice this thing occluding the star right next door?

There's no periodic occlusion. If the ring is partially in front of the star from the homeworld's perspective, the end result would just be a constant slight reduction in the ringworld star's output that would easily be assumed as the star just being less bright than it actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Slashrat posted:

There's no periodic occlusion. If the ring is partially in front of the star from the homeworld's perspective, the end result would just be a constant slight reduction in the ringworld star's output that would easily be assumed as the star just being less bright than it actually is.
True, but from most angles it would look like there was a giant bow of reflected light around the star. It would also probably show up to even the most low-res imaging of the star system itself - indeed, you could probably work that into the starting narrative for a space nation, because if they can detect a loving ringworld then obviously
a. life is out there
b. it's real and strong
c. building a ringworld suggests at least limited benevolence

Then, of course, they find it's wrecked...