Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

your friend a dog posted:

Don't you guys wear armored gauntlets when doing longsword?

I'm actually looking to get some SCA gauntlets since they seem to get the job done and have full mobility. Do you have any recommendations? I tried a pair of these from Darkwood Armory and they're great, but I'm looking for more options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

your friend a dog posted:

Don't you guys wear armored gauntlets when doing longsword?

I still wear a tatty pair of lacrosse gloves, but he does wear armoured gauntlets these days.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Why do y'all think so many of the old artwork and images show knights in full harness but without gauntlets on?

I seem to recall some quote by King Louie to the effect of "there is no gauntlet in the world that can protect the hands from a full force longsword strike"....

<----has had many fingers broken through all the most robust gloves/gauntlets on the market.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

DandyLion posted:

Why do y'all think so many of the old artwork and images show knights in full harness but without gauntlets on?

I seem to recall some quote by King Louie to the effect of "there is no gauntlet in the world that can protect the hands from a full force longsword strike"....

<----has had many fingers broken through all the most robust gloves/gauntlets on the market.

I know someone who has been using (with massive success) a pair of lacrosse gloves with a layer of thick leather over top for the past 5+ years. His hands look like giant hamburgers.

I'm thinking of coming up with a homemade solution since I have some friends who have access to commercial equipment. I just want something that doesn't require force to close my hand. Kote seem to be a solid foundational choice in terms of shape and comfort, but I also really appreciate aesthetics.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 20, 2018

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

I know someone who has been using (with massive success) a pair of lacrosse gloves with a layer of thick leather over top for the past 5+ years. His hands look like giant hamburgers.

I'm thinking of coming up with a homemade solution since I have some friends who have access to commercial equipment. I just want something that doesn't require force to close my hand. Kote seem to be a solid foundational choice in terms of shape and comfort, but I also really appreciate aesthetics.

I never thought of that. My lacrosse gloves have a few big holes in them now. Sometimes my right index finger will pop out the side. I really should replace them.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I use these:

https://www.saintmark.se/product/the-koning-glove/

And before them I used something like this:

http://histfenc.com/productcart/lobster-heavy-gloves

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I have the konings, but they’re too large for my hands. Trying to sell them currently.

As for the spes heavies, I know they’re a good choice but they’re too large and bulky and I don’t like the maneuverability. I’m thinking of making something similar, with a padded comfortable glove and kydex plating, but with better rivets, slimmer profile, and better articulation.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

How big are your hands?

I have pretty large hands and would eventually be upgrading at some point.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Too bad about the Konigs. I have tiny frail bird bone hands and they are almost too big for me, but I make them work.

SPES heavy gloves are indeed garbage for maneuverability, but they'll keep your bones in one piece until you can find an alternative.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Verisimilidude posted:

I have the konings, but they’re too large for my hands. Trying to sell them currently.

As for the spes heavies, I know they’re a good choice but they’re too large and bulky and I don’t like the maneuverability. I’m thinking of making something similar, with a padded comfortable glove and kydex plating, but with better rivets, slimmer profile, and better articulation.
I'm still continuouly salivating about these here: http://progauntlet.nl/

Apparently the first beta version proved itself in a HEMA tourney. Now they "just" have to provide a working production model.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm actually looking to get some SCA gauntlets since they seem to get the job done and have full mobility. Do you have any recommendations? I tried a pair of these from Darkwood Armory and they're great, but I'm looking for more options.

A lot of the SCA stuff is custom made by black smiths for a specific person, so it can be hard to say, but I've seen some really great, full steel articulated gauntlets people have been using for cut and thrust. I'll ask around and see if anyone has anything helpful.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Verisimilidude posted:

A bunch of the C&T folks locally bought these in a group buy for doing longsword because the new rules require hard hands.

DandyLion posted:

I would wager that anything sufficient to break your hand through a good SCA heavy rated mitten was probably someone actually trying to kill you. 16GA stainless properly arched to ground out on the weapon hilt is exceptionally strong, to the point that without padding them hand shots were painless for me. It's a lot more, and a lot better, metal than was used in period gauntlets.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 21, 2018

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Well, my club advices not to buy metal gloves as they are not permitted in all longsword tournaments and so many use Sparring Glove, Spes Heavy ro something similar. I ordered a custom pair of Sparring Glove lobsters with hourglass cuffs and I have liked them. I have taken hits to the hands from feders without problems.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ataxerxes posted:

Well, my club advices not to buy metal gloves as they are not permitted in all longsword tournaments

Why's that?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

To my understanding because metal gloves in close combat (binds etc) could lead into people being punched into the face or other tender parts with a metal glove. A synthetic/leather one doesn't have that much mass and the risk is smaller. I think this rule is issued by at least some Swedish tournaments and as Sweden is both close to us and they run bigger tournaments than us we tend to kit ourselves accordingly.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Verisimilidude posted:

my hands are huge, what's the color/price/size

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

HEY GUNS posted:

my hands are huge, what's the color/price/size

Medium and I think they're the red color. They're brand new, never been used since they don't fit me. Willing to sell for $290 + s/h

https://www.saintmark.se/product/the-koning-glove/

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 24, 2018

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So, after moving house, it turns out my new place is basically right around the corner from an active HEMA club. I've long since wanted to give it a try, and now I basically have no excuse left not to.

Well, except maybe one: I haven't really been doing any sort of regimented sport or workout for about two years now, and combined with a sedentary job I ended up rather out of shape. Not a :btroll: or anything, but without much in the way of stamina or muscle strength. So now I'm wondering whether there's some recommended baseline fitness for HEMA? Could I just roll up there and achieve the necessary degree of fitness in the course of regular training without too much trouble (they're doing Longsword, Messer, and Sword & Buckler, if that's relevant)? Or should I rather spend a couple of months doing some strength training or w/e before starting, so I don't get winded three swings in? If the latter, are there any exercises that are particularly relevant?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Perestroika posted:

So, after moving house, it turns out my new place is basically right around the corner from an active HEMA club. I've long since wanted to give it a try, and now I basically have no excuse left not to.

Well, except maybe one: I haven't really been doing any sort of regimented sport or workout for about two years now, and combined with a sedentary job I ended up rather out of shape. Not a :btroll: or anything, but without much in the way of stamina or muscle strength. So now I'm wondering whether there's some recommended baseline fitness for HEMA? Could I just roll up there and achieve the necessary degree of fitness in the course of regular training without too much trouble (they're doing Longsword, Messer, and Sword & Buckler, if that's relevant)? Or should I rather spend a couple of months doing some strength training or w/e before starting, so I don't get winded three swings in? If the latter, are there any exercises that are particularly relevant?

Just do it. Your forearms will be incredibly sore the first week but you'll adjust fast. Also once you're doing it you'll have a much better idea what exercises would actually help you most.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah, just roll in, you're far from the first office worker drawn into HEMA. Many clubs structure their curriculums with that in mind, even.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’m a shlubby office drone, and while I definitely feel it after a class, it’s a good workout that’s helping me get back in shape. I really, really need to quit smoking though. And workout more. Not to be trusted too much cause I’ve only been doing this a few months, but as an example of someone in a similar situation, plus a little time.

Also they’re not kidding about how sore your forearms/hands are gonna be. I probably should’ve figured that out when I walked into the club and everyone had god drat Popeye-forearms.

Verisimillidude wrote an awesome post about gear a few pages back that I recommend checking out too.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

For exercise the best and easiest thing you can do is start doing basic calisthenics. Focus on good form over harder progressions, ie do easy stuff with perfect form a lot before trying to do harder stuff.

Do dips, push ups, pull ups, and squats until failure, then do an easier version of those, repeat. Do this 4 times a day, 3-4 times a week, and with fencing (and good eating habits) you’ll see results quickly.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alright! I'll start my workout back up right away then and hit up the club at the next opportunity in a week or two. Thanks for the replies!

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 5, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

If there's one thing on that list that bears repeating, it's do squats. Most of the positions you'll fight from are a lot different than anything you do in your day to day life if you're a desk dweller, and strength and flexibility in the hamstring/glue/lower back chain will be rewarded with much better movement in the fight.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...
Wow much love for fencing.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Nektu posted:

I'm still continuouly salivating about these here: http://progauntlet.nl/

Apparently the first beta version proved itself in a HEMA tourney. Now they "just" have to provide a working production model.

I got to play with them last weekend... they are NICE.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Anyone have experience with St James feders?

I tried another club member’s today and it just really felt good in my hands (with the warning that I’m an idiot newb so what do I know).

They seem to be entirely facebook based which seems weird but again what do I know?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

Anyone have experience with St James feders?

I tried another club member’s today and it just really felt good in my hands (with the warning that I’m an idiot newb so what do I know).

They seem to be entirely facebook based which seems weird but again what do I know?

They’re fine despite not having a full site. They’re still in the experimentation stage though, so you may get some flaws. He will however replace anything that breaks as quickly as he can.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Thank you.

Yeah I’m continuing to have decision paralysis just because I’m dumb and new. So I don’t know what is me learning and me making a stupid judgement.

Like just today I learned I liked waisted hilts, but I have no idea if that’s a good thing.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Xiahou Dun posted:

Thank you.

Yeah I’m continuing to have decision paralysis just because I’m dumb and new. So I don’t know what is me learning and me making a stupid judgement.

Like just today I learned I liked waisted hilts, but I have no idea if that’s a good thing.

Of course that's a good thing.

Waisted hilts give good indexing.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So I don't HEMA but I got linked this by a friend and I think I kind of want it http://www.armabohemia.cz/imgnew/epees/epees/ms61v5.jpg
339EUR is enough that should probably call my bank and get them to put a block on my credit card or something...

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 6, 2018

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Hi folks, I am looking for some advice as someone who is looking to get into HEMA. I found a place near me within an hour, a “historical fencing academy”, and after I work out my schedule to allow it I am going to join the group. I got a longsword as that is my primary interest in terms of what to learn - I know that I won’t be using that in the group but I’d still like to practice with it.

I’ve found some resources online and realize that I won’t be able to do much of what I’m seeing without interaction with others, but for those of you that are into this I was wondering if you had any advice with what I should be focusing on as a beginner. I am trying to slowly work through basic moves, keeping my wrists straight and following the form I’m seeing as closely as possible in hopes of accomplishing some very basic things before I can join the group. In addition to any recommendations, are there any specifics that I should avoid that cannot be learned by oneself that I might pick up bad habits/muscle memory that I will have to unlearn in the long run?

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

rio posted:

Hi folks, I am looking for some advice as someone who is looking to get into HEMA. I found a place near me within an hour, a “historical fencing academy”, and after I work out my schedule to allow it I am going to join the group. I got a longsword as that is my primary interest in terms of what to learn - I know that I won’t be using that in the group but I’d still like to practice with it.

I’ve found some resources online and realize that I won’t be able to do much of what I’m seeing without interaction with others, but for those of you that are into this I was wondering if you had any advice with what I should be focusing on as a beginner. I am trying to slowly work through basic moves, keeping my wrists straight and following the form I’m seeing as closely as possible in hopes of accomplishing some very basic things before I can join the group. In addition to any recommendations, are there any specifics that I should avoid that cannot be learned by oneself that I might pick up bad habits/muscle memory that I will have to unlearn in the long run?
I'd highly recommend this book for your solo practice: https://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Medi...and+application

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Uziel posted:

I'd highly recommend this book for your solo practice: https://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Medi...and+application

Wow, I just looked through some samples and it looks amazing. Thanks a lot for the recommendation, buying it now.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

rio posted:

I'm currently in the process of making a beginner's longsword video series on YouTube. I'll be sure to link the videos here as they are released.

Until then, I'd focus on doing basic cuts in isolation. IE no stepping, just cutting from a good solid stance. It's hard to say what to do on your own because it's hard to identify issues you're having without an experienced person to point them out, but if I had to say a few things everyone should follow:

-Make sure your back is straight, your chest is out, and your shoulders are relaxed
-Focus on cutting slowly with perfect form
-Don't grip too tightly. Picture trying to hold a bird in your hands gently enough to keep it safe, but strong enough for it to not get away

You can follow this video for a beginner glossary on some of the basic cuts (oberhau, mittelhau, unterhau), basic guards (vom tag, ochs, langenort, pflug, alber), and some of the master cuts (zwerchau, schielhau, krumphau, schietelhau):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9m_JT4QnjE

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm currently in the process of making a beginner's longsword video series on YouTube. I'll be sure to link the videos here as they are released.

Until then, I'd focus on doing basic cuts in isolation. IE no stepping, just cutting from a good solid stance. It's hard to say what to do on your own because it's hard to identify issues you're having without an experienced person to point them out, but if I had to say a few things everyone should follow:

-Make sure your back is straight, your chest is out, and your shoulders are relaxed
-Don't grip too tightly. Picture trying to hold a bird in your hands gently enough to keep it safe, but strong enough for it to not get away

You can follow this video for a beginner glossary on some of the basic cuts (oberhau, mittelhau, unterhau), basic guards (vom tag, ochs, langenort, pflug, alber), and some of the master cuts (zwerchau, schielhau, krumphau, schietelhau):

Thanks - that is extremely helpful and I can’t wait to see your videos. Also it’s good to know about practicing the cuts in isolation. Often I was seeing people talking about the importance of the step being part of the cut (working mostly on the oberhau) but it has been hard for me to focus on exactly what I should do with the sword, my wrists, arms, shoulders back etc. while trying to step as well so it’s good to know that I can isolate it while starting.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

Uhh yes please. Hell yeah.

You need any help? I have audio-visual experience and am down as hell.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'd be interested as well.

I know very little about longsword.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Feder chat :

Okay I have probably spent way too much time doing online research and asking/annoying people at my club about what feder to buy first and I think I know but wanna run it by you all just to have an outside perspective. Please be harsh.

Conclusion : I’m an idiot noob who hasn’t figured out anything (I’m just getting with comfortable with schielhau for gently caress’s sake) so I should just get a bog standard regyenyei, maybe modify the hilt next time I get access to a lathe and just admit that I’m not going to be 100% happy with my first feder and this is me experimenting so I can buy a perfect second feder.

Also this is going way in advance, but is there a breakdown of the various tournaments? I might be vaguely interested long term and am curious. From a very cursory google, the only tournament here is something called Fecht Yeah! (great name), but it’s only open to women and LGBTQ minorities. Which is awesome and good but kind of useless to me except that I definitely want to go and cheer there, cause I am the straightest whitest most privileged being to ever live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

I can buy a perfect second feder
Scientifically impossible. I'm sorry.

In general you'll want whatever your instructor recommends. If they go "buy whatever I guess" you should get what everyone else has, just so you don't accidentally get something massively harder or softer and feel bad about chewing a sword up. I'd probably recommend the Regenyei Short, but the standard Reg is completely fine too.