Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

moddb plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

i like call of misery considerably more than i do dead air just because it has less feature bloat that doesn't add anything to the game for the same experience

Yeah, I agree that CoM feels pretty tight. DA has the best atmosphere though, thanks to all the engine-based additions in it. Hopefully once DA is fully done and Lanforse removes the encryption on the DB files, we'll see rebalances and mods on it that play in different ways from DA itself. What would be great is if the DA improvements migrate back into CoC itself.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I'd really like to have a rough idea of how to vary the item condition a little more, in Anomaly, the actual variation in stuff dropping seems ok, but 100% of the suits/guns being <2% seems off.

oh, and anomaly repack is the mod & game in one. no need to drop it into anything

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I'm having ablast with Dead Air, I think because of how slow thepacing is. It has atmosphere in spades, looks beautiful, and runs incredibly well on my creaky old 550ti

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

communism bitch posted:

I'm having ablast with Dead Air, I think because of how slow thepacing is. It has atmosphere in spades, looks beautiful, and runs incredibly well on my creaky old 550ti

I really want to like Dead Air, but it's just so crash-tastic and Misery-like that I can't get into it.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Hey, hope this isn't a pain in the rear end question: Looking at reinstalling CoP, OP is five years out of date and I flicked through the last few pages and can't find anything: What's the go to mod overhaul? Looking for something that expands the weapon selection and gameplay overall.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
For a more casual stalker, install CoC and then maybe some add ons:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/downloads/call-of-chernobyl-1412-full
https://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/addons/stcop-weapon-pack

There's other stuff you can try too. For example, try Arsenal Overhaul instead of STCOP. Just note which version of CoC is required in the description. https://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/addons

If you're looking for something more hardcore (and you can stomach the inventory screen tedium):

https://www.moddb.com/mods/dead-air
https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-misery

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
So I finally got Lost Alpha (v.1.4005) to work, and uhhh... is the AI supposed to headshot kill you the moment they see you? I thought it was because I was playing on Master, but dropping the difficulty to Novice did nothing for it. Either they snipe me from afar with an AK, or they straight up walk up to me, two short bursts at the max and I'm dead. Unless I get them first, it usually results in a quick load.

Any balance mods out there or something? Despite the bugginess, I really like exploring the new areas and would like to finish this without resorting to g_god 1.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I know what you're talking about, but I can't remember what the heck I did about it. To me it always felt like the game was doing a dice roll in the background to decide whether or not I get hit; and if hit, it picks from visible body parts, which usually includes the head if you're looking at 'em. Sometimes only the head, if you're in good cover.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wugga posted:

So I finally got Lost Alpha (v.1.4005) to work, and uhhh... is the AI supposed to headshot kill you the moment they see you? I thought it was because I was playing on Master, but dropping the difficulty to Novice did nothing for it. Either they snipe me from afar with an AK, or they straight up walk up to me, two short bursts at the max and I'm dead. Unless I get them first, it usually results in a quick load.

Any balance mods out there or something? Despite the bugginess, I really like exploring the new areas and would like to finish this without resorting to g_god 1.

My experience (with 1.4005 and the "Extended Pack" installed) is pretty similar, although I'm still in the Cordon. 1-2 bursts will kill me dead from full health wearing mail armour, and even a single shot will usually make me bleed out if not treated. The best approach I've found is just to be a sneaky rear end in a top hat -- get a silenced weapon, creep around, pick off enemies one by one, and once they know you're there try to lead them into an ambush with an automatic shotgun or rifle.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Appoda posted:

I know what you're talking about, but I can't remember what the heck I did about it. To me it always felt like the game was doing a dice roll in the background to decide whether or not I get hit; and if hit, it picks from visible body parts, which usually includes the head if you're looking at 'em. Sometimes only the head, if you're in good cover.
Christ this is the best explanation for the insanity this game has subjected me to for the past 6 years.

Also, for people getting into Lost Alpha, absolutely play it. It's really enjoyable and feels fresh. Yeah it kind of diverges from Stalker lore, but the universe is still stalkery and creepy. If you do install lost alpha, dont hesitate to use teleport cheats. Some of the maps are ridiculously huge and maze-like. You will burn yourself out, probably before you get your first car. I like to think that the teleport cheats are balanced, because the maps are also littered with artifacts that you'll miss out on. When I get poor, ill start walking across maps since walking basically earns you money.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
I'd suggest anyone wanting to play Lost Alpha to add -moderator to the launch parameters and immediately enter "g_god 1". As I said above, the difficulty setting doesn't appear to have any bearing on enemies' godlike hitscan headshots. It's an absolute blast to explore after that. Granted, godmode does remove some of the tension, but when said tension is all about quickloading a million times to kill 3 enemies, I can't see myself ever beating the game legit.

As for teleport cheats, here's a good rundown: http://lost-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Cheating_Stalker%27s_Guide_For_Jumping_The_Levels

The sheer scale of the game is something to marvel at, but it also makes backtracking really tedious, even with a car.

On a different note, I decided to install Misery mod for Call of Pripyat and while it suffers from some artificial difficulty as well, it's far more balanced and I've actually had fun with it. My only issue is playing as the Recon class, since his carry limit is so bad. Other than that, it's a pretty fresh take on the game.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I did something with Lost alpha to lessen the laser-head frequency, but I don't really recall what it was. More annoying is that every map has at least one anomaly that's difficult to see or detect while driving around, and you're bound to hit them the first time you come through and blow up your car, along with all of the stuff in the trunk.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Appoda posted:

I did something with Lost alpha to lessen the laser-head frequency, but I don't really recall what it was. More annoying is that every map has at least one anomaly that's difficult to see or detect while driving around, and you're bound to hit them the first time you come through and blow up your car, along with all of the stuff in the trunk.

The whirlwind anomalies are hilarious with a car though.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

They were hilarious the first time, and maybe the second time when you stick the landing, but being pulled in from like 30ft and blowing up all of your stuff just became another tedious exercise in save/reload.

Driving around in those crappy cars with a trunk full of customized guns and suits was a lot of fun, though. It's like going golfing in the Zone. "Hmm yes, should I take the number 6 iron for this one, or a the number 7..."

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I've been taffing around in Lost Alpha for a bit and while I'm not finding it the brutal headshotathon that some people ITT are, it's not really grabbing me either. I'm wondering if I should check out Call of Chernobyl instead.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

ToxicFrog posted:

I've been taffing around in Lost Alpha for a bit and while I'm not finding it the brutal headshotathon that some people ITT are, it's not really grabbing me either. I'm wondering if I should check out Call of Chernobyl instead.

I've come across a number of comments saying the hitscan headshots are not an issue and I feel like I'm playing a completely different game.

During my playthrough I tried being aggressive and sneaky, tried sniping enemies from afar, change my position to fool the AI, use darkness and night vision to my advantage, leaning etc... and still 9 times out of 10 I got killed within seconds no matter what I did. If I hear a burst from a weapon, I'm dead at the end of it. And I mean instantly, not from bleeding out or from gradual damage. And like I said above, difficulty made absolutely no difference. I think I spent a good 10 hours playing without cheats, but at the end it was so unfun I had to resort to it.

Oh, and it isn't an armor issue either. It was the same during the endgame when I had high tier armor.

Then again, I mostly installed the thing to do virtual urbex and finished it so I think it served its purpose. I just wish I could go back to it one day and actually have fun playing it without resorting to cheats.

CoP Misery mod on the other hand has been an absolute blast ever since I found good weapons and armor. It was pretty awful at the start, what with not having enough money to do even the basic repairs and having terrible equipment, but since I reached Yanov, it's been fun as hell.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So say I want to play Call of Chernobyl. Am I better off playing 1.4.22 -- possibly with Dynamic Anomalies/Quests/Factions installed -- or 1.5b6 (which only Dynamic Anomalies supports)? CoC development seems to have pretty much stopped, so I'm not going to hold out for 1.5.0.

Wugga posted:

I've come across a number of comments saying the hitscan headshots are not an issue and I feel like I'm playing a completely different game.

During my playthrough I tried being aggressive and sneaky, tried sniping enemies from afar, change my position to fool the AI, use darkness and night vision to my advantage, leaning etc... and still 9 times out of 10 I got killed within seconds no matter what I did. If I hear a burst from a weapon, I'm dead at the end of it. And I mean instantly, not from bleeding out or from gradual damage. And like I said above, difficulty made absolutely no difference. I think I spent a good 10 hours playing without cheats, but at the end it was so unfun I had to resort to it.

So, bearing in mind that I haven't gotten very far in LA, so maybe it gets worse later, but my experience in the early game has been that getting shot hurts a lot but is not instantly lethal. Generally 2-3 bursts will kill me from full health, one will leave me badly injured and bleeding but not dead. I'm definitely getting handled a lot more roughly than I was in vanilla but it's not one shot == death.

For reference, this is Lost Alpha: Developer's Cut 1.4005 with the Extended Pack 1.3 installed.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I hope STALKER 2 comes up with a better way to handle health/damage/death on the player's end. Maybe make shootouts uncommon, or introduce some mechanics where a lucky shot doesn't send you back to reload a save. Far Cry 2 had an interesting "buddy" system where you could get rescued by a friend NPC upon death if you were tight with them, but I dunno if that jives with STALKER's style.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
instead of a buddy it's a snork dragging you into a den.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

pet snorks

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Appoda posted:

I hope STALKER 2 comes up with a better way to handle health/damage/death on the player's end. Maybe make shootouts uncommon, or introduce some mechanics where a lucky shot doesn't send you back to reload a save. Far Cry 2 had an interesting "buddy" system where you could get rescued by a friend NPC upon death if you were tight with them, but I dunno if that jives with STALKER's style.

I just found out that Call of Chernobyl has "Azazel Mode", where when you die your consciousness jumps into another stalker in the Zone -- if you have companions it picks one of them, otherwise it just picks someone at random. Not quite the same thing, but could be neat.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

So say I want to play Call of Chernobyl. Am I better off playing 1.4.22 -- possibly with Dynamic Anomalies/Quests/Factions installed -- or 1.5b6 (which only Dynamic Anomalies supports)? CoC development seems to have pretty much stopped, so I'm not going to hold out for 1.5.0.

You may be best of playing Anomaly as it's the most actively updated. You will get the Misery/CoM/Last Day mechanics and gameplay with that. But Anomaly is by all accounts the least hardcore of the lot, with an easier progression than them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

v1ld posted:

You may be best of playing Anomaly as it's the most actively updated. You will get the Misery/CoM/Last Day mechanics and gameplay with that. But Anomaly is by all accounts the least hardcore of the lot, with an easier progression than them.

I have no idea what Misery, CoM (Call of Misery?), or Last Day mechanics are. I'm assuming that by Anomaly you mean this? But that looks like it's just a sweeping rebalance mod for Call of Pripyat, which would be great if I wanted to replay CoP, but I want to explore something new, which is why I've been poking at CoC and Lost Alpha.

E: Oh, I think I see -- it's based on Last Day, which is based on Call of Misery, which is a combination of Misery(?) and Call of Chernobyl? Ok, thank you, that may in fact be what I'm looking for.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 7, 2018

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ToxicFrog posted:

I just found out that Call of Chernobyl has "Azazel Mode", where when you die your consciousness jumps into another stalker in the Zone -- if you have companions it picks one of them, otherwise it just picks someone at random. Not quite the same thing, but could be neat.

The thing that sucks though is if you get jumped into Monolith because the zombified stalkers still see you as a hostile. The game jumped me from being a loner in the Garbage to a Monolith in the building above lab X-8 in Pripyat. All the zombies shambled after me in herds and after dying four more times to be jumped into Monolith around me I accidentally shot another Monolith and had the whole faction out for blood

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I've just set up Shadow of Chernobyl for my first time playing a STALKER game, just sticking to a basic setup with PRZ and a texture and weather mod.

Are there any more recent developments with shaders for the base game, or does that only apt to the newer ones/mod spinoffs? I've seen Meltac's dynamic shaders mentioned and there was also some that came with the PRZ texture pack, but not really sure what's worth using (if any).

On top of that, is there any reasonable way to do AA while the game is set to full dynamic lighting? I saw I could force MSAA through NVIDIA inspector but it seems to cut into the framerate fairly hard. I also tried downsampling from 4k but get stuck with tiny font/HUD do that's not great either.

Other than that, enjoying the experience so far! My only experience was watching a friend play the intro way back in 2007, but the general feel and atmosphere seems like it still holds up even now.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 394 days!
does Dead Air have magical 'your gun doesn't work here' zones or is there another reason a TOZ-34 with 82% durability and no problems beside a loose grip and some dirt is misfiring more than my busted-rear end tokarev

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

E: Oh, I think I see -- it's based on Last Day, which is based on Call of Misery, which is a combination of Misery(?) and Call of Chernobyl? Ok, thank you, that may in fact be what I'm looking for.

Yes, exactly. CoM was great. Last Day was a mess with overly hardcore mechanics and difficulty choices. Anomaly seems to have improved almost everything, including using a 64-bit engine.

Toast King posted:

I've just set up Shadow of Chernobyl for my first time playing a STALKER game, just sticking to a basic setup with PRZ and a texture and weather mod.

Are there any more recent developments with shaders for the base game, or does that only apt to the newer ones/mod spinoffs? I've seen Meltac's dynamic shaders mentioned and there was also some that came with the PRZ texture pack, but not really sure what's worth using (if any).

On top of that, is there any reasonable way to do AA while the game is set to full dynamic lighting? I saw I could force MSAA through NVIDIA inspector but it seems to cut into the framerate fairly hard. I also tried downsampling from 4k but get stuck with tiny font/HUD do that's not great either.

Other than that, enjoying the experience so far! My only experience was watching a friend play the intro way back in 2007, but the general feel and atmosphere seems like it still holds up even now.

You should use ZRP (Zone Reclamation Project) as your base mod. It fixes a huge number of bugs and has some optional, QoL features you may want later.

The Absolute texture packs by Cromm Cruac are better than PRZ.

Shaders MAX is recommended.

Use an SMAA or FXAA injector, works well with the above.

Default weather is pretty good, you don't need a mod. The most commonly used one, SWO, is dramatically gloomy and detracts from the atmosphere I think.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SocketWrench posted:

The thing that sucks though is if you get jumped into Monolith because the zombified stalkers still see you as a hostile. The game jumped me from being a loner in the Garbage to a Monolith in the building above lab X-8 in Pripyat. All the zombies shambled after me in herds and after dying four more times to be jumped into Monolith around me I accidentally shot another Monolith and had the whole faction out for blood

That sounds really annoying to happen to you, but as something that happened to someone else, it's hilarious.

v1ld posted:

Yes, exactly. CoM was great. Last Day was a mess with overly hardcore mechanics and difficulty choices. Anomaly seems to have improved almost everything, including using a 64-bit engine.

Alright, I'll give it a look! I got it all downloaded and installed last night but didn't have time to actually play it, maybe I can give it a shot this evening. Hopefully it doesn't have the massive stuttering issues CoC had.

Any particularly recommended settings or submods? I've already installed Minimap, No Head Bob, and Exo Helmet Protection Fix.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Thanks for the recommendations. I made an unlucky typo at the top - I'm actually using ZRP as the base, it seemed like the one necessary thing.

Just set up those shaders and textures and it's looking good. I originally had the weather mod included as it was recommended and came in the STARTER mod pack. I went back to default and like it just fine, there's probably a lesson there about giving the base game a go before looking at all the mods (minus bugfixing ones anyway).

Toast King fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 7, 2018

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
After a few years, I decided to finally finish Call of Pripyat. I've had a few false starts during the years, but I was through a lot of the Yanov area already this time when I figured out I'm stuck because an NPC is bugged so I can't actually continue the story. After reinstalling, I found out my install that's been there for a few years at this point apparently had some mods so there's no way I can use these save files. I still want to finish this game but I'm going to throw up if I have to do Zaton one more time. Are there any cool mods that add to the gameplay but still let you finish the story?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I like SGM 1.7 and I think there is a repack that adds stuff without being overbearing. If you want a real wild ride you could try the Geonozsis version.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Appoda posted:

Far Cry 2 had an interesting "buddy" system where you could get rescued by a friend NPC upon death if you were tight with them, but I dunno if that jives with STALKER's style.
Huh. I mean, NPCs already do that for other NPCs (in CoP / with the right mods). And it would reward engaging with the faction system / being friendly with NPC squads.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Toast King posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. I made an unlucky typo at the top - I'm actually using ZRP as the base, it seemed like the one necessary thing.

Just set up those shaders and textures and it's looking good. I originally had the weather mod included as it was recommended and came in the STARTER mod pack. I went back to default and like it just fine, there's probably a lesson there about giving the base game a go before looking at all the mods (minus bugfixing ones anyway).

Going with the starter pack is good. SWO isn't terrible, it just tends to be overly gloomy and there is such a thing as too many purple sunsets. SWTC Silver is a good weather mod that has a more balanced feel, but vanilla is good. You can play mods like Autumn Aurora 2 which have great weather later.

Enjoy your first run! Some of the most atmospheric gaming I've ever had is ahead of you.

One, not spoilery suggestion: at some point you'll get multiple quests on the main line with one asking you to go back and talk to Guide. Do that chain of quests before proceeding with the main quest as it's easy to overlook.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

v1ld posted:

SWTC Silver is a good weather mod that has a more balanced feel, but vanilla is good.

Have you got a link to that weather mod? I'd be interested to give it a try later on to compare. I haven't really looked into the Russian side of STALKER modding, so I've got no idea where or how to get any mods that aren't the big obvious ones on ModDB or english sites.

I found a couple of pages through googling but no luck getting to a download link. Is there any difference between silver and gold versions of that mod?

Toast King fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 7, 2018

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I'm playing Anomaly, and as far as the "exploring the zone and getting eaten by wild dogs" part of the experience goes, it's exactly what I was looking for; thank you.

However, I'm having a lot of trouble keeping my guns fed! Ammo is ruinously expensive in this game, it seems. Here's how it's gone down so far:
- Rolled Loner, spawned at Sevchenko, accepted a bunch of quests and went out wandering.
- Found a bunch of zombies, killed them all -- burning nearly all of my 5.56x45 ammo, and about half of my 9x18 before I realized it's completely useless and I might as well trade it for vodka.
- Looted the zombies, expecting a decent payday, only to find out that (a) merchants don't buy damaged weapons or armour and (b) replacing the ammo I spent on the zombies will cost about 6,000ru.
- Spend most of my starting money on a multitool so I can break down the damaged loot from the zombies into something the tinker will buy. It has yet to pay for itself.
- Talk to Beard and find out that some NPC handled the "clear mutants from an area" quest I'd accepted and I can take credit for it. Claim a 12,000ru reward.
- Spend most of that money on 5.56x45 ammo and fresh water.
- Go out and handle a "revenge killing" quest, which gets me a mostly-working shotgun I can use with the dozen or so shells I got from the zombies.

It is worth noting that without that windfall of someone else dealing with the clear-mutants quest, I would have no ammo and no money and be reduced to knife-fighting pseudodogs for internal organs I can barter for vodka (or, more likely, rerolling).

How am I meant to not die in poverty in this mod?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Toast King posted:

Have you got a link to that weather mod? I'd be interested to give it a try later on to compare. I haven't really looked into the Russian side of STALKER modding, so I've got no idea where or how to get any mods that aren't the big obvious ones on ModDB or english sites.

I found a couple of pages through googling but no luck getting to a download link. Is there any difference between silver and gold versions of that mod?

http://ap-pro.ru/load/teni_chernobylja/mody/swtc_2_0_silver_edition/8-1-0-991 should have a download link.

Gold has a lot going on, a lot of script changes and stuff. I looked at it once and decided to stick with Silver which is more contained. I liked Silver in SoC.

Atmosfear is a great weather mod for CoP and CS. SWTC is the other good mod. Use both to mix things up as you play through the series.

CoC has Atmosfear built in, but some parts of SWTC are available as mods for it.

There's no freestanding Atmosfear for SoC, but AA2 has the most recent version in it (Cromm Cruac is one of the authors). AMK Autumn Edition therefore has too.

Edit: Gold is too invasive for a first run. Use vanilla or Silver, IMHO.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

How am I meant to not die in poverty in this mod?

I haven't had a chance to play Anomaly, but I spent many hours in CoM which is the root of all this.

I suggest starting in Cordon and gradually working your way North. Your best source of money initially is going to be doing the random missions handed out by named NPCs. Cordon and the Swamp have plenty of missions that should pay reasonably well.

Use what you find. In CoM I would use the starter weapons for a long time, switching to bad condition weapons if I had to for ammo. You'll eventually get a nice weapon in 30-40% condition, which I saved up to repair. For me it was some AK variant with the scope mod already added and shooting 5.45.

That's not as much of a grind as it may sound. Missions pay pretty well. Anomaly is supposed to ease up on the progression, so you may get good gear earlier.

Don't start in the CoP maps unless you want that challenge. Working your way to the North gives you better progression.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Alternativly, everyone in the zone treating anything less than 90% durability like dogshit seems a bit strange, considering how desperate everyone is, so i edited the traders ltx's to reflect that fact.
trudged around selling rust, rags & whatevers not bolted down.
as I got to know who pays decent rubbies for what. built better relations with mercs and army, & could finally afford to repair or buy stuff, it sidestepped about 70% of the meaningless grind.
I've yet to even bother cooking mutant teats and assholes, but i'm pretty sure relying on that and vodka more would probably make becoming blyaaat exomans possible a lot earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelponny
Oct 30, 2007

Two bloody great handfuls
Pillbug
Last month I gave OGSE a try with no expectations and I had a blast with it. It might turn some people off, as it is not based on the CoC engine thus does not provide its bug-free gameplay, but OGSE focuses on almost everything that CoC and derivatives don't.

It kicks off at Cordon and follows the Vanilla route to the north of the zone, and surprisingly all of its maps are SHoC versions instead of CS. It gives you some custom quests along the way, including repairing a car, finding a time bomb in the Stalker Village, and hunting for hints for a hidden treasure all throughout the game. But when you can get to Yantar, real fun begins. I had unforgettable moments in Yantar and in other areas the quests sent me (especially in Darkscape). On top of that, game comes up with its own implantation of STALKER lore, which I found a little mind-blowing.