Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pick posted:

jasper was mean to two really loving annoying characters that the writers obviously like too much and project themselves onto. jasper is dead.

Ronaldo and...Lars? But Lars is cool now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

People seem to be pretty bad at predicting how this show is gonna swerve.

Which is great because the show they predict usually sounds horrible.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Rocks fall, everyone's rocks.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Augus posted:

Ronaldo and...Lars? But Lars is cool now

Peridot and Lapis.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
people can't predict this show not because it's particularly well written and planned from the start or whatever but because it wastes so time on stuff that people assume to be important because of that time spent, only for it all to turn out rather bizarre in retrospect as the story trundles along. it puts weird emphasis on things then the answer is just 'actually, who cares.' remember the obvious emphasis on yellow diamond covering something up during the trial? or steven coming to terms (over a billion episodes) with the fact his mom was a liar and a murderer? or his conflict with bismuth? or the diamonds being portrayed as callous, genocidal giants who basically committed obscene crimes against humanity gemanity before the show, weirdly, started siding with them because they're family (?) over the people they hurt?

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 5, 2018

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pick posted:

Peridot.

Say what you want about Lapis but I will not hear a single bad word spoken about the Green Dorito Queen.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Garnet got tired of waiting for new episodes so she's going to OK KO on Monday.

https://twitter.com/cartoonnetwork/status/1048271739707424769

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

people can't predict this show not because it's particularly well written and planned from the start or whatever but because it wastes so time on stuff that people assume to be important because of that time spent, only for it all to turn out rather bizarre in retrospect as the story trundles along. it puts weird emphasis on things then the answer is just 'actually, who cares.' remember the obvious emphasis on yellow diamond covering something up during the trial? or steven coming to terms (over a billion episodes) with the fact his mom was a liar and a murderer? or his conflict with bismuth? or the diamonds being portrayed as callous, genocidal giants who basically committed obscene crimes against humanity gemanity before the show, weirdly, started siding with them because they're family (?) over the people they hurt?

actually it's because long rear end hiatuses cause people to lose their patience for the show and latch onto stuff from whichever episodes happen to be the newest for months on end

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

actually it's because long rear end hiatuses cause people to lose their patience for the show and latch onto stuff from whichever episodes happen to be the newest for months on end

Yea, like with the Jasper stuff to me it just went by in a blur of episodes because I was binging the show but the White Diamond stuff feels like it's lasted for ages because it's been on hold for a while.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Say what you want about Lapis but I will not hear a single bad word spoken about the Green Dorito Queen.

There was only one writer really projecting herself into that dynamic.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

DeafNote posted:

There was only one writer really projecting herself into that dynamic.

There was really only zero writers projecting themselves into that dynamic.

Anyway, what's wrong with Yellow's reaction? It seems like a perfectly legitimate red herring to me, as well as a good example of a place where Yellow might have figured out the truth if she was as rational as she claims to be.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I never got the impression Yellow was hiding anything during the trial. I kind of assumed we were just seeing Yellow being Yellow. She's always been knee-jerky, despite being the 'rational' one (she probably reads rationalwiki ffs) and impatient.

She also always has a put down ready for Blue. Not that Blue doesn't deserve it. Shatterer. *spit*

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I always assumed the right interpretation was the one that indicated a steadfast belief in a writing team that has constantly flopped on major plot points.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

I always assumed the right interpretation was the one that indicated a steadfast belief in a writing team that has constantly flopped on major plot points.

Why are you talking about Lost in the Steven Universe thread?

Alternative joke:

Why are you talking about The Walking Dead in the Steven Universe thread?

Alternative alternative joke:

Why are you talking about Game of Thrones in the Steven Universe thread?

I could go on, but I'll stop now.

I've never actually watched these three shows, the only things I know about them I learned through cultural osmosis via people in my life complaining about them both online and in real life

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Not that Blue doesn't deserve it. Shatterer. *spit*

i dunno, has Blue actually shattered anyone? threatened to shatter Garnet/Ruby/Sapphire I guess, but that might have been spur of the moment rhetoric. A habitual shatterer wouldn't have kept all those rose quartzes around for millennia, or the off colours and weirdos at the zoo.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think the implication is that she has shattered/ordered others to shatter as execution in the past but has mellowed out since Pink's death.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Has Blue ever said gently caress? :thunk:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Infinitum posted:

Has Blue ever said gently caress? :thunk:

In a Space Irish accent, yes

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There was at least a few hour's gap between Reunited and LFHTH so I imagine some serious F bombs were dropped during that time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Hot take: Steven Universe is a good show.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I never got the impression Yellow was hiding anything during the trial. I kind of assumed we were just seeing Yellow being Yellow. She's always been knee-jerky, despite being the 'rational' one (she probably reads rationalwiki ffs) and impatient.

She also always has a put down ready for Blue. Not that Blue doesn't deserve it. Shatterer. *spit*
Yeah, Yellow rushes to judgment a lot. In the case of the trial, she had already decided Rose Quartz was guilty and the whole conceit of a "trial" was just a waste of time. She gets pissy with Blue because Blue seemingly places a lot of value on the trial. For Blue, determining the exact circumstances of Pink Diamond's death was not only legally important, but probably also would have brought her more closure than just shattering "Rose Quartz".
Yellow's impulsive, stubborn, domineering, and mean, but I thought it was cute that she insisted Blue, Steven, and the Crystal Gems stayed behind in the ship while she talked to White alone. Yellow is obviously afraid of White and what she could do, but she wanted to protect the others regardless.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

TwoPair posted:

mods?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

TwoPair posted:

What the gently caress are you even doing in this thread?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Jasper defence squad

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TwoPair posted:

This is factually incorrect, as 'show' dictates a series that actually airs episodes.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

TwoPair posted:

Yo but seriously, all the negative/“critical” takes of this show i can find seem to be stuck in the backlash zone where they have to be presented as “this show you like actually loving suuuuuucks eat poo poo nerds lol” and it’s real annoying

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

misadventurous posted:

Yo but seriously, all the negative/“critical” takes of this show i can find seem to be stuck in the backlash zone where they have to be presented as “this show you like actually loving suuuuuucks eat poo poo nerds lol” and it’s real annoying

I think there's been a few from a 'progressive' angle that have been hilariously bonkers.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
One day in her never ending eternity White Diamond entered her personal room and said, "Room, in the Musical style, create a conflict to confound me with an opponent who has the ability to defeat me."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
*Rock & Ruleishly* There can be... no... one....

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Garnet got tired of waiting for new episodes so she's going to OK KO on Monday.

https://twitter.com/cartoonnetwork/status/1048271739707424769

Garnet giving a 10 is so cute!!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I wonder if the Omnitrix has a Gem in it for Ben to turn into.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

I wonder if the Omnitrix has a Gem in it for Ben to turn into.

It's got a diamond!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Jasper is gone because she wasn't big enough.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oops, I did it again:

“Out of the dung and ashes of the world the most beautiful flowers shall bloom”
-A poet probably

Flower Stone is one of the most terrifying and deadly fusions to ever exist. She has the ability to make flowers appear anywhere. If you don’t think this sounds like a very scary power that’s because you’ve never had a daffodil growing out of your eye socket or a sunflower blossoming inside of your lungs. Only one has ever existed, and the damage she caused so severe that Homeworld no longer allows Coprolites and Cinnabars to be within 500 light-years of each other.

Despite Homeworld’s best efforts Flower Stone was never captured. She’s still out there somewhere, watching, waiting, giggling.

Because of her elusive nature information on Flower Stone is hard to come by, but allegedly she speaks with a French accent (yet does not understand French) and enjoys herbal tea and cartoons from the 90’s.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pick posted:

Peridot and Lapis.

No

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rand Brittain posted:

There was really only zero writers projecting themselves into that dynamic.

Anyway, what's wrong with Yellow's reaction? It seems like a perfectly legitimate red herring to me, as well as a good example of a place where Yellow might have figured out the truth if she was as rational as she claims to be.

it’s bad because it made me, a genius, wrong about what was gonna happen in a show for children, and this cannot stand

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Coprolite and Cinnabar

Yes.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oops, I did it again:

“Out of the dung and ashes of the world the most beautiful flowers shall bloom”
-A poet probably

Flower Stone is one of the most terrifying and deadly fusions to ever exist. She has the ability to make flowers appear anywhere. If you don’t think this sounds like a very scary power that’s because you’ve never had a daffodil growing out of your eye socket or a sunflower blossoming inside of your lungs. Only one has ever existed, and the damage she caused so severe that Homeworld no longer allows Coprolites and Cinnabars to be within 500 light-years of each other.

Despite Homeworld’s best efforts Flower Stone was never captured. She’s still out there somewhere, watching, waiting, giggling.

Because of her elusive nature information on Flower Stone is hard to come by, but allegedly she speaks with a French accent (yet does not understand French) and enjoys herbal tea and cartoons from the 90’s.

I love it! I wanted to make a gem with flower or plant powers but never did because of Rose Quartz now Pink Diamond having plantimation powers.

Everyone always says flower powers are weak but clearly we see things the same way :colbert:. If you're familiar with Card Captor Sakura (as an aside, the teacher x young student sideplot is loving gross), when Sakura gets ahold of The Flower card, she finds out it can summon any flower, to which she says "that's it?".

And it's like girl, you know weed is a flower, right?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Garnet giving a 10 is so cute!!

You probably already realized but she gives a 10 because it's a fusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I love it! I wanted to make a gem with flower or plant powers but never did because of Rose Quartz now Pink Diamond having plantimation powers.

Everyone always says flower powers are weak but clearly we see things the same way :colbert:. If you're familiar with Card Captor Sakura (as an aside, the teacher x young student sideplot is loving gross), when Sakura gets ahold of The Flower card, she finds out it can summon any flower, to which she says "that's it?".

And it's like girl, you know weed is a flower, right?

First of all: Yeah, that teacher should have been in jail.

Second: Sakura was always a little uncreative with the way she used the clow cards. She mostly just spammed Windy. There were a LOT of cool cards she never tried to do anything interesting with even though they seemed really cool or like they had a lot of potential, that really bugged me as a kid.