Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

https://imgur.com/a/0AJmHlq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Thoughts:

- "Why are you so popular? All you do is sleep." drat, called out.
- RIP poo poo machine. I guess it's fortunate that they included you in the anime, since you're now a critical plot point.
- Eren is the biggest loving bastard and I love it.
- Shinzou wo Sasageyo as a rallying cry for violent extremists? Why I never! It's not like the S2 OP was super on-the-nose about satirizing the most fascist-sounding anthem ever and showing that the conflict is totally different from the stuff portrayed in the propagandist OPs. And now Eren's got a cult of radicalized nationalists!

Goddamn this series.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
And now we know that Zeke has a way to turn huge numbers of Eldians, like for example the ones in the Marley ghettos, into titans under his or Eren's control almost instantly as long as they can sneak the gas in.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm not sure what fights I want in the next volume more now. Eren vs Levi? Eren vs Mikasa? We're almost certainly getting Eren vs Armin.

God, Isayama is just a master of keeping us wanting more.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I honestly don't know Pieck plans to do - as if she could take on ANY of the current players without getting loving stomped in like 2 seconds.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

OH poo poo

Is it jail-break time for Annie?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sub Harrison posted:

OH poo poo

Is it jail-break time for Annie?

I am so curious what's gonna happen with her

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm not sure if Eren sucks or not

But I'm kinda leaning toward yes and no simultaneously

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Manatee Cannon posted:

I am so curious what's gonna happen with her

Crush the Dew! Crush the Dew!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm sure there's been plenty of fanfics about Eren inheriting the female titan...

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Beefstew posted:

I honestly don't know Pieck plans to do - as if she could take on ANY of the current players without getting loving stomped in like 2 seconds.

I'm guessing she isn't alone.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What a good chapter. Suspenseful as hell, making you doubt if there is really a conspiracy or not, making you doubt if maybe Eren is already being controlled!, and then poo poo hits the fan with the terrorist attack, and Eren's escape. Oh yeah, and Annie finally appears! And loving Marley is already infiltrated!

On top of all that their victory cry being used against them was delicious. Isayama has a good grasp in reality: in how the past saviors are future would-be tyrants and in the same way they were past revolutionary heroes that didn't have a problem bending the rules for their quest, now they are the target of a new wave of revolutionary heroes that don't have a problem with targeting them and bending the rules to save the world.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 5, 2018

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Eren owns

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

That gas is one of the scariest things that's appeared in the manga. Unless the Paradisians got some gas mask tech from Hizuru, how do they defend against that?

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.
Now we know why shitmachine was included in the anime.

"Dedicate your hearts" as Armin and Mikasa look in horror was highlight of the chapter

So we got a lot of moving players now. Eren's revolutionary army, Marley counter infiltration, Gabi's field trip in the demon lands.

And Annie and Zeke waiting which group clashes with them first.

Extremely good chapter, just holy poo poo.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER
Good Chapter.
Who do I even Root for anymore?

Connie, yes. Whatever team has my good boy Connie.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'm rooting for Eren and his "gently caress bureaucracy, kill them all" approach

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

ATP_Power posted:

I'm guessing she isn't alone.

Yeah, I'm sure her chances are dramatically loving improved with the inclusion of designated jobber Galliard and "Get in the loving Meat Robot" Reiner.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Poor Zackley he didn't get to strap Eden into the poop chair like he wanted

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Beefstew posted:

Yeah, I'm sure her chances are dramatically loving improved with the inclusion of designated jobber Galliard and "Get in the loving Meat Robot" Reiner.

If you wanna get titan joose from a crystal though, Galliard's your man.

E: really though I'm curious what Marley's plan is, we're seeing the starting moves, but they've gotta have a better plan than last time.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I’m not sure if anyone is familar with One Piece, but there was a period of time between the arcs called Sabaody and Marineford where the manga was so good that you were always on the edge of your seat waiting for the next chapter. Right now Attack on Titan is doing the same thing for me with this arc.

Every chapter is full of exciting or fun moments and i legitimately don’t know how this is gonna end. There are so many moving parts and the author has such a perfect grasp on all of it. I’ve said it before, but can any of you even imagine looking back at the beginning of this manga and think this is where we would end up?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Asuron posted:

I’m not sure if anyone is familar with One Piece, but there was a period of time between the arcs called Sabaody and Marineford where the manga was so good that you were always on the edge of your seat waiting for the next chapter. Right now Attack on Titan is doing the same thing for me with this arc.

Every chapter is full of exciting or fun moments and i legitimately don’t know how this is gonna end. There are so many moving parts and the author has such a perfect grasp on all of it. I’ve said it before, but can any of you even imagine looking back at the beginning of this manga and think this is where we would end up?

I mean, I dared to dream when I first saw that one episode back in season 1 that foreshadowed the Scout's Uprising, but I suspect that's not the way you meant that question.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Sindai posted:

And now we know that Zeke has a way to turn huge numbers of Eldians, like for example the ones in the Marley ghettos, into titans under his or Eren's control almost instantly as long as they can sneak the gas in.

Yeah, two things I noted about this chapter:

First, the Eldians exposed to the gas don’t turn unless and until a coordinate power activates them.

Second, we only have what’s her name’s word for if that Zeke’s volunteers/defectors are Marleyan and the chapter makes an effort to point out they are still being kept around by the Paradisans inside the walls.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
For a chapter that had a poo poo machine cameo and turned it into a weapon that started a coup my heart really hurts :smith:

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

The foreshadowing that Zeke can possibly "bind his will" on other shifters is interesting. Reiss' speech that Frieda could definitely defeat Grisha if she had more experience with her power implies it's possible to control shifters, backed up further by Eren's scream resonating in Ymir/Bert/Reiner that time. Makes me wonder if the first king commanded the other shifters to fight among each other which eventually lead to their downfall by Marley.

Far-fetched theory: The attack titan's true ability is immunity to the Founder's (or any royal's) commands, thus the FREEDOM titan. The Ackerman family were magically infused with spinal fluid of the Attack titan, making them immune to orders (such as titanizing on command) as well as letting them tap into those titan paths for strength. The first king, fearing the rise of an uncontrollable Attackerman militia, put forth a plan to doom the Eldian race by commanding the other titan families into war. The Attack family however was immune and were able to hide their power away from Karl and Marley until Grisha's fateful counterattack.

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 8, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Sub Harrison posted:

Far-fetched theory: The attack titan's true ability is immunity to the Founder's (or any royal's) commands, thus the FREEDOM titan. The Ackerman family were magically infused with spinal fluid of the Attack titan, making them immune to orders (such as titanizing on command) as well as letting them tap into those titan paths for strength. The first king, fearing the rise of an uncontrollable Attackerman militia, put forth a plan to doom the Eldian race by commanding the other titan families into war. The Attack family however was immune and were able to hide their power away from Karl and Marley until Grisha's fateful counterattack.

I like this theory mostly because "Attack Titan" is a dumb, redundant name as all of the shifters have been shown to be pretty drat good at fighting.

Female Titan is dumb too.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I like that theory purely because of the pun.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Viridiant posted:

I like this theory mostly because "Attack Titan" is a dumb, redundant name as all of the shifters have been shown to be pretty drat good at fighting.

Female Titan is dumb too.

I think the dumbest thing is fans insistence all Titans have to have a unique 'special ability', for parity and consistency I guess. Attack titan doesn't have one. Female titan as you say, it's dumb, being female isn't a freaking ability. I don't think her scream was special, any giant being could attract other titans by screaming at top of their lungs. Hardening isn't an unique ability, Reiner, Warhammer titan, and even Eren after finding the correct bottle are capable of that. I even read that some people say Berthold ability was the extreme heat which is stupid, all titans are supposed to emit some heat, and it's just more heat the bigger they are.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

E: I should really check what thread I'm posting in before I post.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 8, 2018

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Quote is also not edit.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Turin Turambar posted:

I think the dumbest thing is fans insistence all Titans have to have a unique 'special ability', for parity and consistency I guess. Attack titan doesn't have one. Female titan as you say, it's dumb, being female isn't a freaking ability. I don't think her scream was special, any giant being could attract other titans by screaming at top of their lungs. Hardening isn't an unique ability, Reiner, Warhammer titan, and even Eren after finding the correct bottle are capable of that. I even read that some people say Berthold ability was the extreme heat which is stupid, all titans are supposed to emit some heat, and it's just more heat the bigger they are.

The armored titan, collosal titan, beast titan, cart titan, warhammer titan and founding titans, have all shown abilities above and beyond that of typical mindless titans. The fact that these abilities are someone transferable doesn't diminish this.

If the attack titan and female titan don't have some ability, then they're the odd ones out.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The Attack Titan's ability is it can appear three times in quick succession.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Aren't the attack titan and female titan just the same titan? I mean Annie doesn't have armor on all the time like Reiner, she selectively hardens in the same way that Eren later learns to. If they don't outright say what their powers are then they're probably just titans meant specifically for fighting other titans. Just really adaptive forms that can pretty much outbrawl all the other ones minus the huge ones. We've seen Annie gently caress up Eren, we've seen Eren gently caress up Annie, and Reiner, and Galliard, and Warhammer.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

The beast titan's ability to control and activate mindless titans might be just because he has royal blood. If that's the case, the beast titan's only demonstrated intrinsic ability so far would be he throws things hard, but that might also just be because the user is a baseball fan.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

comedyblissoption posted:

The beast titan's ability to control and activate mindless titans might be just because he has royal blood. If that's the case, the beast titan's only demonstrated intrinsic ability so far would be he throws things hard, but that might also just be because the user is a baseball fan.

Pretty sure Marley was going on about how the Beast titan was never able to control other titans before and were trying to figure out why Zeke was able to do that.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Turin Turambar posted:

It's because they do.

All the 9 titans have particular characteristics, and using their spinal fluid transfers them to a degree.

The Female Titan's ability to summon mindless titans to herself is explicitly highlighted by the Marleyan commander during the flashback as something intrinsic to it. On that note, it's also described as a versatile titan with high stamina.

The Colossal Titan is beyond hot - Berthold can consciously consume the titan's matter to emit steam+heat, can selectively choose to do this at the time of manifestation to either create a huge explosion or just appear without much of a fuzz like he did those first times at Shiganshina and Trost, and is also the only titan able to just *poof* instantly into thin air and vanish just as fast without leaving a body. This speaks of a special ability to control titan material (you know, that which travels through the eldian pathways).

The Cart Titan can stay titanized for literal months. Everyone else gets exhausted after hours.

As for the Attack Titan, he regenerates far faster than any other titan thus shown (save for the Warhammer who tbf is a cheating bastard), and being able to transform thrice in succession caught the Marleyans by surprise during the attack on Liberio.

When it comes to transferring, Eren obtained hardening from consuming Armored Titan spinal fluid. Presumably, so did Annie and Zeke as they have access to the Armor Titan, and it's very likely that's the same reason the Galliard's Jaws had/have armored faceplates and claws unlike Ymir's. The Cart and Colossal Titans appear too specialized to copy abilities from others. Reiner may possess Jaws, as he was shown growing sharp claws to climb the wall during the Shiganshina battle (compare to Annie, who merely hardened her fingers).

The mindless titans that formed the walls were a colossal+armor cocktail, and Rod Reiss gave himself Colossal injection and turned into that enormous monstrosity. We don't see any others for obvious reasons.

Jaws and Cart create agile quadruped titans. At the very least, none of Zeke's have been of this type.

Captain Cappy posted:

Pretty sure Marley was going on about how the Beast titan was never able to control other titans before and were trying to figure out why Zeke was able to do that.

Yeah that's something unique to his royal blood. The Beast titan's 'ability' appears to be its distinct shape/strength ("as usual, it's larger than the others").

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 8, 2018

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Only the Kwisatz Haderach can possess both the Attack Titan and Female Titan

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

they do but its based on the persons bloodline they said so ymir's jaw titan was weaker than the one that we just saw. zeke can control titans bc of his royal bloodline

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Cart and beast are the only two titans that can talk too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

ATP_Power posted:

Cart and beast are the only two titans that can talk too.

Ymir was able to talk using Jaw, I think.