Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Just binged through this series, reading through the thread as I went along. I'm not sure I feel about Black Mirror. Some episodes are absolutely brilliant, but they were relatively sparse among the ones that were mediocre-to-bad. The most recent season fell pretty flat, other than USS Callister which wasn't so good as a Black Mirror episode but was great as a Galaxy Quest remake. 15MM was easily my favorite overall. And this right here from early 2015 was my favorite post:

Look Sir Droids posted:

Waldo Moment: I didn't care for it. I don't really buy the conclusions. I'm cynical about political systems, but this ep crossed over to ridiculous territory for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Politics is just getting weird. Donald Trump recently lost in a Texas poll between him and fire ants.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just watched Otherlife the otherday on Netflix. Not bad, felt like a Black Mirror episode turned into a feature film.

I think I heard about it from this thread, so thanks! I love anything to do with time dilation (like in White Christmas).

I mentioned it before but I'd love for Stephen King's 'The Jaunt' to be adapted into an extended episode of this show but it's missing that societal commentary from its story.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

'The Jaunt' messed me up after reading it, for a good five minutes at least.

Also, thanks for mentioning 'Otherlife'. I had never heard of it before now so I put it in my list.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

John F Bennett posted:

'The Jaunt' messed me up after reading it, for a good five minutes at least.

It's the only King story to have actually terrified me. I mean, just the thought of that woman who was pushed through when the gate's destination was set to 'nil'. Holy gently caress.

:psyduck:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's the only King story to have actually terrified me. I mean, just the thought of that woman who was pushed through when the gate's destination was set to 'nil'. Holy gently caress.

:psyduck:
On the flip side of that, would it be possible to key in multiple exit gates and have your atoms/body parts randomly jumbled through the hundreds of gates available?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I'm sorry to necro this thread but apparently the robodogs that were used as the basis for Metalhead are gonna be for sale next year, so that's cool.

What if dogs but too much? :ohdear:

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Countdown 'till the army starts mounting machine guns on these and releasing them into warzones?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Astrofig posted:

Countdown 'till the army starts mounting machine guns on these and releasing them into warzones?

So half life 2 is happening but real?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Finally got around to finishing season 4. I intentionally delayed finishing it because I wanted to make the six episodes last, and they are good to watch between binge watching other things. I saw a lot of complaints about how this season was below the rest, and honestly I didn't feel that way at all. I enjoyed every episode, though I felt Arkangel and Crocodile were the weakest of the bunch. I think Black Mirror works better if you watch sparingly and start each episode with a "cleansed palate."

That said, I hope they hold themselves back from doing another "AI copy of human consciousness" story.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I dunno if bad is the right word, but it certainly felt a lot less original than the previous series. Metalhead and USS Callister were the only episodes that felt experimental, and Black Museum and Hang the DJ were basically rehashes of previous episodes.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I don't mind every (6-episode) season have at least one cookie-inspired episode.

As long as their application is different, I really dig em.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Vanderdeath posted:

What if dogs but too much? :ohdear:

Season 4:
What if VR but too much
What if parental supervision but too much
What if memories but too much
What if dating apps but too much
What if robotic security but too much
What if Black Mirror but too much

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

If you enjoyed Black Mirror, you should watch the movie "Upgrade", recently released on DVD/BR.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Does one ever truly "enjoy" Black Mirror?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Has a new season been announced? I'm ready for a new round of folks to get bitchmad about humans antagonizing a few lines of code.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Sort of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFbVl0Dawn4

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Grem posted:

Has a new season been announced? I'm ready for a new round of folks to get bitchmad about humans antagonizing a few lines of code.

A potent self own from the defective code

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-45717606

quote:

Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror is going interactive as Netflix hopes to find new ways to grow audiences.

According to reports, Brooker is working on a choose-your-own adventure episode for its fifth series.

The sci-fi show is the obvious choice for such a move, given its previous focus on the impact of technology on society.

:roboluv:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wait is the entire season just one choose your own adventure?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

how .. how is that even going to work? Is it a modern rendition of an FMV game written by Booker?

I did not know that I wanted this but I do.

double nine fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 8, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Netflix has a few kid programs that use the tech.

Basically it's like those old interactive fmv games where the story pauses to give you decisions every so often.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mcbexx posted:

If you enjoyed Black Mirror, you should watch the movie "Upgrade", recently released on DVD/BR.

good watch but they really should've used the cool locked camera a lot more.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I wonder if they would use it so that we the viewer became the subject of the episode.

A character on the show sobbing asking why you made the choice leading up to this moment. How could you be so heartless. You wanting me to suffer for your own entertainment. Etc.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I mean that's basically The Sims but with better graphics so I don't see why not

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

double nine posted:

how .. how is that even going to work?

Press enter to make everyone die horribly.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Press enter to make everyone die horribly.

that's every Black Mirror episode.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Netflix has a few kid programs that use the tech.

Do you know the name of one? I wanna see how it works and if it works on chromecast.

edit: Nevermind, I found them.

edit edit: They do not appear to work on chromecast.

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 8, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

double nine posted:

that's every Black Mirror episode.

I mean, that's kinda....the joke.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I've been running around tired all day, ignore my total lack of conversational awareness

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
New Black Mirror appears to be dropping this Friday, and appears to be the choose your adventure episode:

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/black-mirror-movie-netflix-652853

(I don't think there's any actual spoilers, just a one-sentence description teaser that leaked)

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

If you want the main character to engage in sex with the pig, select A. If you'd rather he commit suicide, select B. To see his consciousness transferred into a computer to be tortured for all eternity for no apparent reason, select C.

(Selection A offers three ways of having sex with the pig, selection B offers three different suicide choices, selection C offers three different computer consciousness tortures.)

:cenobite:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm going to need to see a diagram of this.

No seriously, not being able to navigate every path properly is going to give me anxiety.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I suspect one will exist after a couple of days.

But if choose your own adventure films are your thing, I would highly recommend "Late Night"

No massive twists like black mirror, but an entertaining thriller nonetheless.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

https://twitter.com/blackmirror/status/1078228999183237120

Trailer just appeared on twitter. It is indeed releasing the 28th.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Daedalus1134 posted:

https://twitter.com/blackmirror/status/1078228999183237120

Trailer just appeared on twitter. It is indeed releasing the 28th.

What if indie games, but too much?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Cojawfee posted:

Politics is just getting weird. Donald Trump recently lost in a Texas poll between him and fire ants.

Unlike the real election that one probably wasn't subject to gerrymandering.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I was pretty disappointed with last season but I liked this trailer. I hope it's good. I'm nervous about the "choose your own adventure" angle though, not sure I really want that.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

nomapple posted:

I was pretty disappointed with last season but I liked this trailer. I hope it's good. I'm nervous about the "choose your own adventure" angle though, not sure I really want that.

It's only one episode that works like that, so it's a cool experiment even if it doesn't fully come off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Calling it now that the ending is something fourth wall breaking about how it's a CYOA and then the main character looks out the screen at you or something.