Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Seems like something you'd have to be really carefull about, my kneejerk reaction to that is that Rands hot wives/girlfriends also banging each other could make it seem even more like some horny teenager's fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Avalerion posted:

Seems like something you'd have to be really carefull about, my kneejerk reaction to that is that Rands hot wives/girlfriends also banging each other would make it seem even more like some horny teenager's fantasy.

Oh it totally would. It basically is already.

It'd be a little more accurate to the few real-life poly amorous groups I've known if it was like a 2/2 or 3/2 gender mix instead of 3/1

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Unfortunately, other relationships are just as problematic. Let me introduce you to the healthiest relationship in the whole books: Perrin and Faile!

gently caress

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Not a character, an empire. And apparently it's pronounced "Shawn-chan" which makes it even dumber.

lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
they cant produce a tv show w/ an empire named shawn-chan

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Wait, wait, wait. It gets better:

They talk with Texas accents.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

And wear samurai armor.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
angus-kun

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
they speak in a new orleans patois and wear aztec ceremonial robes

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

NinjaDebugger posted:

And wear samurai armor.

Look if ya'll don't like the idea of armies of dark-skinned redneck samurai, some of whom ride pterodactyls or giant lizard-tigers, kicking rear end while their living artillery slave-witches call lightning down on their foes, I don't know what to say.

I want to see that. I want to see that very much.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Just got to Aram's introduction in the Eye of the World. Its such a change BOOK 11 SPOILERS AHEADto hear him talking about the way of the leaf compared to his horrible death when he tries to kill Perrin

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 9, 2018

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

He was a dick from the start.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

As someone with no knowledge of WoT, reading this whole series of posts is just :catstare:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Taffer posted:

As someone with no knowledge of WoT, reading this whole series of posts is just :catstare:

Take a weekend and read WoT and it will make more sense

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

mewse posted:

a weekend
I don't know about where you come from, but where I come from, weekends are only two days long :v:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The Seanchan are a really horrible people, and I will die on the hill that Robert Jordan did an amazing job with writing them without making them boring standard fantasy villains. :colbert:

And it's sorely needed, since trollocs are already the always chaotic evil orcs anyway.

mewse
May 2, 2006

bitprophet posted:

I don't know about where you come from, but where I come from, weekends are only two days long :v:

Look out thread, we’re not allowed to trick people into reading WoT anymore!!

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Trollocs are mentioned as having bread rations sometimes, and I've just got to know what a Trolloc baker is like.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

mossyfisk posted:

Trollocs are mentioned as having bread rations sometimes, and I've just got to know what a Trolloc baker is like.

The sandwich filling

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You mentioned Eye of the World so I clicked your spoiler. gently caress!

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 9, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:(

How far in are you right now? Getting through The Path of Daggers?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I'm so sorry :( edit your post and I'll edit mine to mention lather spoilers

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Torrannor posted:

:(

How far in are you right now? Getting through The Path of Daggers?

It's not a big deal really, he's a super minor character as far as I can tell.

I think I'm on chapter 13 in Path. It's really bad so far. Looking forward to these finally picking up in a book or two.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

It's not a big deal really, he's a super minor character as far as I can tell.

I think I'm on chapter 13 in Path. It's really bad so far. Looking forward to these finally picking up in a book or two.

8 has some decent moments iirc. I like all the 'intrigue' though.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
On the plus side you've got Towers of Midnight to watch forward to. Maradon is one of the best WoT scenes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Apparently since the last AMA got totally derailed by that Witcher thing, he's doing another thread.

Chapters 1-9 of skyward are up too

https://www.getunderlined.com/read/excerpt-reveal-start-reading-skyward-by-brandon-sanderson/

https://www.reddit.com/r/brandonsanderson/comments/9nauas/you_can_now_read_the_prologue_through_chapter/

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

What the gently caress Brandon. Write less books that aren't storm light please.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

RC Cola posted:

What the gently caress Brandon. Write less books that aren't storm light Stormlight or Mistborn please.

ftfy

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

RC Cola posted:

What the gently caress Brandon. Write less books that aren't storm light please.

That's just how he takes a break. We got Wax and Wayne because he needed a vacation from writing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Call me crazy, but I'd love more books from The Sixth of Dusk. Blanking on the planet name, but yea. That short story was super cool.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sab669 posted:

Call me crazy, but I'd love more books from The Sixth of Dusk. Blanking on the planet name, but yea. That short story was super cool.

Well, speculation is that it's set far in the future, and that the Ones Above are in fact the space faring Scadrians we were promised for Mistborn Era 4. So I guess we'll have to wait a while before we get another story set on

The planet is called First of the Sun.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I think I am liking Nynaeve more on this reread

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:stonklol:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Everybody likes Egwene more on reread.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Min is the only tolerable female. And maybe the bondage queen who rapes Mat at knifepoint.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Spoilers!

There are some decent women. Faile and a certain Green Ajah person are pretty bad. Plus Elaida obviously. Any Tylin, wtf is wrong with you? Raping Mat IS NOT OKAY!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Thom is the hero of the story. I think we can all agree on that

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

RC Cola posted:

Thom is the hero of the story. I think we can all agree on that

Well duh. Him and The Creator Bela

Been reading and rereading a lot of Sanderson's stuff, and it's so satisfying picking up details and hints I missed

Arcanum Unbounded was great, so many short stories that were incredibly satisfying; it's clear it's his forte.

The Legion trilogy is as well, in my opinion - a three short story anthology. The ending also makes me think

Legion and Perfect State are the same universe, because the prison VR sounds like a prototype of the brain-in-a-jar tech... which then makes me think they're both in the same universe as Skyward

Hero of Ages I was looking for hints about Dalinar, and just about every time he's mentioned doing something heroic in his armor it's mentioned about it glowing faintly, even before it's been significantly damaged.

Starting on rereading Words of Radiance now

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Legion...trilogy? What/when was the third story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Aggro posted:

Legion...trilogy? What/when was the third story?

the third novella came out last month and you can now conveniently buy all three as one collected book