Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

hambeet posted:

Good morning, hi, yo, hello!

But you effectively protected her from two investigations :v:

I know! :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Xad posted:

Oh yeah, again I'm not against voting for ss3p at all, we really need to test some cop results, I'm just feeling antsy :v:

I’m on the “had no SS3P suspicion” team but the only other person I’d even consider today is IS, but I think we need to stick with this

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

WHY DIDN'T YOU SWITCH HANDS WITH KRIS KRUEL, XAD :v:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Yeah fwiw, by all means lunching me is probably the right move. All I'm asking for is a reprieve of a day at most to see about testing me somehow if possible, or at least gently caress any scum plots around this today, I'd they're able to do anything. But won't blame folks a bit for going after me. I know I'm under the gun right now, and I've had fun either way.

There are a couple problems with delaying. If you ARE scum, it is possible that your power in some way revolves around your masoning. Like maybe you are secretly turning them into lovers or something and they'll go when you go, if so, giving you another day to acquire a third partner just lets you endgame us essentially.

However, even if we ignore weird tinfoil stuff, if we left you alive today, and tried someone else and didn't get scum, it puts us in a potentially really bad position tomorrow. Theoretically tomorrow we'd be at 10 players alive if scum get a kill tonight. It could actually be 9 players alive if Bif is really a vig like she says. Then if there were actually 4 scum left, tomorrow is lylo. And since we've left you till tomorrow, we now have to either cuddle you because you are the result on the table, or forgo your cuddle again because we are worried about it. If you are town and we wait till tomorrow to cuddle you, we potentially lose.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Honestly - I can see a case to be made for IS over SS3P. My fears are:

(a) there's no way that there are this many cops in a game without some way to balance them
(b) my flavor was different from IP's - his was about experiencing other's thoughts (or something similar, I'm working from memory) whereas mine was more like "even kind people are terrible deep down, and it's your job to get to the bottom of it". I remember noticing this on d2 when I saw IP's flip.

At first I thought I was going to always get scum results (paranoid cop? I forget what it's called) but I got a town result on Gaspy (and then he seemed to be fairly town-y from there) which quelled my fears in that regard. I have faith that SS3P is scum per Occam's Razor.

That said, I've always preferred analyzing people's posts over night action Mafia. If not for my results (and severe lack of time today; that short day came at a brutal time for me) I'd be pushing hard for IS.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I've skimmed through this morning already but I would like to go back and have a look at some of the longer posts again when I get into work. We don't need to hammer today because it's plurality, so I guess there's not really any need for someone to rush to beat the deadline.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Xad posted:

Oh yeah, again I'm not against voting for ss3p at all, we really need to test some cop results, I'm just feeling antsy :v:

King Burgundy posted:

Also, there is nothing stopping you from playing mafia. Please do.

:)

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

King Burgundy posted:

There are a couple problems with delaying. If you ARE scum, it is possible that your power in some way revolves around your masoning. Like maybe you are secretly turning them into lovers or something and they'll go when you go, if so, giving you another day to acquire a third partner just lets you endgame us essentially.

However, even if we ignore weird tinfoil stuff, if we left you alive today, and tried someone else and didn't get scum, it puts us in a potentially really bad position tomorrow. Theoretically tomorrow we'd be at 10 players alive if scum get a kill tonight. It could actually be 9 players alive if Bif is really a vig like she says. Then if there were actually 4 scum left, tomorrow is lylo. And since we've left you till tomorrow, we now have to either cuddle you because you are the result on the table, or forgo your cuddle again because we are worried about it. If you are town and we wait till tomorrow to cuddle you, we potentially lose.

I may be completely off here, I've glanced through the thread so much by this point, but didn't you also share a conviction on sniper as scum? Because I can also turn the argument back on you: are you not put in the exact same position if I'm town? And do you really, truely believe there are five cop roles, all of them town, all of them telling the truth, and all of them above board/not insane in some way?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:beerpal: Votecount for Day 3 :beerpal:

Social Studies 3rd Period (4): hambeet, Hal Incandenza, Asphyxious, sniper4625
sniper4625 (1): Social Studies 3rd Period
IllegallySober (0): Asphyxious, Asphyxious
Murmur Twin (0): Social Studies 3rd Period, Social Studies 3rd Period

Not Voting (7): Bifauxnen, IllegallySober, King Burgundy, Max, Murmur Twin, TMMadman, Xad :rubshands:

There are 12 people still alive. The person with the most votes at the end of the day will be executed.
The current deadline is October 08th, 2018 at 9 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 3 hours, 45 minutes.

:siren: Today's execution method is Plurality (the person with the most votes at the end of the day will be executed thrown to the coyotes). The game day will be much shorter than typical. :siren:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I may be completely off here, I've glanced through the thread so much by this point, but didn't you also share a conviction on sniper as scum? Because I can also turn the argument back on you: are you not put in the exact same position if I'm town? And do you really, truely believe there are five cop roles, all of them town, all of them telling the truth, and all of them above board/not insane in some way?

Not at all. Your cuddle is based on a result. We have no result on Sniper. So the situation is totally different.

If we cuddle you today, tomorrow we are just left with Mafia. I'll probably try to convince people it's Sniper, its true. Or Bif. Or Xad. But it will be a discussion that is based mostly on play for most people(I weigh night stuff a lot more than most, so I'll still be using that to inform my reads). And there will even be a bit more info to inform it. Who did scum kill and why? Did TMM come in with results, what are they? Etc.

If we saved you for tomorrow, there are going to be plenty of people who want to cuddle you regardless of play. And that is a bad position to be in at lylo.

---

I've already given several theories for how I think the cops could actually be sound and the game could still be balanced. I think Sanity is a really boring way for Pod to handle it, so I'm hoping he didn't go that route. I like my ideas very much even if no one else has given them the time of day. :)

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

King Burgundy posted:

Not at all. Your cuddle is based on a result. We have no result on Sniper. So the situation is totally different.

If we cuddle you today, tomorrow we are just left with Mafia. I'll probably try to convince people it's Sniper, its true. Or Bif. Or Xad. But it will be a discussion that is based mostly on play for most people(I weigh night stuff a lot more than most, so I'll still be using that to inform my reads). And there will even be a bit more info to inform it. Who did scum kill and why? Did TMM come in with results, what are they? Etc.

If we saved you for tomorrow, there are going to be plenty of people who want to cuddle you regardless of play. And that is a bad position to be in at lylo.

---

I've already given several theories for how I think the cops could actually be sound and the game could still be balanced. I think Sanity is a really boring way for Pod to handle it, so I'm hoping he didn't go that route. I like my ideas very much even if no one else has given them the time of day. :)

My only concern is that my results on the flip wind up modified or changed or some way. As someone who knows I'm innocent, the idea of my flip being weaponized is terrifying as I'm unsure how that could easily be repaired. Still think there's some sort of error with MMT's results in some way or form or there's a plot at foot. But I know I can't offer any proof of that and that's definitely a jump a bit.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I just have kinda run out of things at this point. Still not a fan of how that reveal of the results was done - hm, yes, let's wait until everything is in pretty much and then reveal, later on in a short day... But I do also see the logic at the same time I guess, hah.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Three and a half hours left. Yeah, more or less ran out of things on my side. Happy to offer up any thoughts if folks wanna ask questions, particularly if I'm supposed to be scum. Maybe I'll slip and reveal something? I mean I'm not so I won't, but by all means, go for it. Anything I can do to help in the time I've got left, I guess!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Three and a half hours left. Yeah, more or less ran out of things on my side. Happy to offer up any thoughts if folks wanna ask questions, particularly if I'm supposed to be scum. Maybe I'll slip and reveal something? I mean I'm not so I won't, but by all means, go for it. Anything I can do to help in the time I've got left, I guess!

got a Lumpenlist?

(try and rank everybody from Scummiest to Towniest)

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bifauxnen posted:

got a Lumpenlist?

(try and rank everybody from Scummiest to Towniest)

Working on it. Not sure how helpful it'll be, but sure! Though gosh I've typed a lot on mobile today, haha.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I actually kind of agree with SS3P that this feels weird and I'm totally expecting some kind of curveball, but I also don't see any way around lynching SS3P either.

I'm just having trouble seeing this as a play from scum based on the current numbers.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

King Burgundy posted:

Just so you don't forget, I'm also still looking for this:

You may still be at work, but noticed your ramp up of posting, so just making sure.

Right then.

So the immediate debate on the floor, such as it is, appears to be me versus SS3P so I’ll start there.

First, myself. The case largely seems to be advanced by KingBurg and SS3P, though I’ve noticed my name coming up here and there elsewhere. (hi Gasp.)

KBs thesis this turn seems largely predicated on my tardiness in acknowledging the roleblock, as apparently it’s good town practice to acknowledge such things promptly. This could very well be - all I can say to that is it’s a protocol I’m unfamiliar with, and once I saw you claimed the roleblock I didn’t see the need for an immediate confirmation post.

SS3P is a bit more in-depth, as befitting a man facing the noose. Fair points about activity levels (mr. pot,) but I’ve already posted on how the main points of his - the Bk vote and the misleading post he believed to be a powerclaim - weren’t solid. Given that we have an investigation result fingering him, I’d have been voting for him regardless, which leads into the next issue as I see it.

The five cops. I think it’s clear to everyone that all five claimed cannot be on the up and up, wittingly or no. That’s why the SS vote is necessary, as others have stated - we need to start figuring out who’s results can be trusted and whose cannot. The main problem as I see it is that most of these roles were shine ones, and supply is running low. Perhaps someone with more experience would be able to figure out a way to confirm results without a deathflip?

As for other feelings: Max and MMT seem townie to me, I disagree with SSs suspicions on the latter. Think they’ve done a good job of driving discussion. Don’t know if I’ll ever get a handle on hambeets posting aesthetic but same. IS being the only one to be able to make the kill relies on everyone trueclaiming which seems...unlikely, so I’m not sold on that theory. Xad - am I correct in assuming you targeted Bif due to your suspicions to see if it would block a NK?

More if I can after Dinner, want to be sure to get TMMs post posted.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

to the latter part: who knows? but we can't ignore the data of a non-town result, we need to test it. only once the flip has happened can we take stock and see where to next. we can't realistically do that before hand. was mmt right and you're scum? well that'll be interesting, outside of a scum bus it'll make her look pretty good. we can then go from there and wonder about the other snoops (me included). if you flip town well we can then argue the wifom regarding sanity / gambits,etc, but we can only do that post your flip.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I am Vanilla {Trailer} and I performed these actions:

N1: Tracked BK, He visited Asiina
N2: Tracked Bif, Jailed, action Failed

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

King Burgundy posted:

are you saving them for tomorrow? because there's a bit of a risk with that.

i'm thinking along the lines of the cops being legit and are balanced by a combination of or all of: limited two shot, all wanting to use their powers early (risk being night killed), more than likely going to pick similar targets (that's happened twice already) and then possibly higher scum numbers and scum powers.

having multiple insane cops sounds like a nightmare from a game balance issue, you're swinging it the other way in favour of scum strongly.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

TMMadman posted:

I actually kind of agree with SS3P that this feels weird and I'm totally expecting some kind of curveball, but I also don't see any way around lynching SS3P either.

I'm just having trouble seeing this as a play from scum based on the current numbers.

what's the weird part of a cop result? is it the fact of their being multiple cops?

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

hambeet posted:

to the latter part: who knows? but we can't ignore the data of a non-town result, we need to test it. only once the flip has happened can we take stock and see where to next. we can't realistically do that before hand. was mmt right and you're scum? well that'll be interesting, outside of a scum bus it'll make her look pretty good. we can then go from there and wonder about the other snoops (me included). if you flip town well we can then argue the wifom regarding sanity / gambits,etc, but we can only do that post your flip.

Oh, I know! I just think there may be a better way to test than killing me, somehow, and as someone who knows my innocence and with us still with no scum got, I don't want us to waste the time. And, y'know, I wanna live. But as ever I don't blame this move at all today, just kinda hard to argue out from under the gun like this, hah.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, I'd like IS to post 'I did not kill Solus on N2'

I'm not sure what or who I'm going to check yet.

I think there are still a few people out who haven't made a claim post like I wanted which I believe includes bif and sniper.

I think Max and IS have posted it, but I may not have updated my notes.

Also, I'm still irked that MMT has not reposted her claim without her alignment in the post.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

TMMadman posted:

I think there are still a few people out who haven't made a claim post like I wanted which I believe includes bif and sniper.

Also, I'm still irked that MMT has not reposted her claim without her alignment in the post.

I just did, Bif did a bit ago.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

hambeet posted:

what's the weird part of a cop result? is it the fact of their being multiple cops?

It's the fact that there are multiple cops.

Plus, I know Pod does not like cops, so it feels really weird to have all these cops around without some kind of counter to it. I know that's kind of gaming the mod, but it's really hard to believe otherwise.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Oh, I know! I just think there may be a better way to test than killing me, somehow, and as someone who knows my innocence and with us still with no scum got, I don't want us to waste the time. And, y'know, I wanna live. But as ever I don't blame this move at all today, just kinda hard to argue out from under the gun like this, hah.

unfortunately there isn't. using the lie detector on your post (if the lie detector isn't itself a lie heh) is a waste of resources sorry, it's far more economical to lynch and flip you, get info on mmt from the flip and then go and lie detect someone else!

no, i'm not a sociopath, why do you say that? :v:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

sniper4625 posted:

I just did, Bif did a bit ago.

Yeah, thanks. I was posting while you were :)

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

hambeet posted:

unfortunately there isn't. using the lie detector on your post (if the lie detector isn't itself a lie heh) is a waste of resources sorry, it's far more economical to lynch and flip you, get info on mmt from the flip and then go and lie detect someone else!

no, i'm not a sociopath, why do you say that? :v:

Sociopath. :v: Nah it's cool, I know. I just really, really hope my flip comes up right...

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

TMMadman posted:

can a lie detector detect a post about someone else.

eg if i was to pick the two scummiest people, and i quote their claim posts and you lie detect that...? you see where i'm going with this?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

good news everyone i reverse engineered pod's OP and it doesn't secretly say cult in there anywhere.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

hambeet posted:

can a lie detector detect a post about someone else.

eg if i was to pick the two scummiest people, and i quote their claim posts and you lie detect that...? you see where i'm going with this?

I'm not going to bother trying as that seems like against the spirit.

It's clearly meant to test what one person says about themselves and their actions.

As I said, my restrictions are: full post and can't test an alignment claim and my results are truth, partial truth, lie.

And again, I'm assuming that the alignment claim is for self claims. I believe that me testing Max who said that he has a Town result on someone else would be get a result, but that's just my interpretation of it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

TMMadman posted:

I did not kill SolusLunes on Night 2. I have not killed anyone this game.

I know there’s a couple of other things I wanted to respond to, going back to look now.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Max posted:

That's why I don't think I'm looking at two scum faking it, it's about the amount of discussion I would expect from an unconfirmed masonry.

going back to this, generating content is not hard. bif is exceedingly capable of doing it as scum.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Max posted:

I mean, why do you think I tried to investigate her.

Also, IS, I see you in the game room as currently online, get in here.

I’m not sure how you saw me in the Game Room unless it was during the thirty seconds I tried to open a browser on my work computer today, in which case yeah, sorry, didn’t actually have time to read anything and/or post.

(Also, I think casing someone on whether they’re in the viewer list is complete BS and I wouldn’t build anything on that no matter what alignment I was.)

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i really don't think that was a ~case~ more just a 'hurry up and post' prompt.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

IllegallySober posted:

I’m not sure how you saw me in the Game Room unless it was during the thirty seconds I tried to open a browser on my work computer today, in which case yeah, sorry, didn’t actually have time to read anything and/or post.

(Also, I think casing someone on whether they’re in the viewer list is complete BS and I wouldn’t build anything on that no matter what alignment I was.)

I agree but you can turn that feature off in your user settings and the forbidden technique has nailed scum so many times that it cannot be ignored.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

hambeet posted:

are you saving them for tomorrow? because there's a bit of a risk with that.

i'm thinking along the lines of the cops being legit and are balanced by a combination of or all of: limited two shot, all wanting to use their powers early (risk being night killed), more than likely going to pick similar targets (that's happened twice already) and then possibly higher scum numbers and scum powers.

having multiple insane cops sounds like a nightmare from a game balance issue, you're swinging it the other way in favour of scum strongly.

I already posted them? I thought you even responded to at least one of them, but could be wrong.

To be clear, Theories included: Sniper as Nexus, Xad Confound power is not actually a jail, but something that causes result failures so it looks like one(this would be something he'd use on scum to protect them), Godfather, and even something like all the scum have godfather except when performing the kill.

Obviously not all in play. Right now I lean towards a combo of what you posted here combined with something like Xad's Confound power not being a jail.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Max posted:

I agree but you can turn that feature off in your user settings and the forbidden technique has nailed scum so many times that it cannot be ignored.

I just feel like you are better than that Max

I wish there was some metric to know that that’s any more effective for finding scum though

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Hal Incandenza posted:

I just feel like you are better than that Max

I wish there was some metric to know that that’s any more effective for finding scum though

Dem crocs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

King Burgundy posted:

I already posted them? I thought you even responded to at least one of them, but could be wrong.

To be clear, Theories included: Sniper as Nexus, Xad Confound power is not actually a jail, but something that causes result failures so it looks like one(this would be something he'd use on scum to protect them), Godfather, and even something like all the scum have godfather except when performing the kill.

Obviously not all in play. Right now I lean towards a combo of what you posted here combined with something like Xad's Confound power not being a jail.

oh i thought you meant you had others. my bad

• Locked thread