Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Randy Quaid was America's most successful film star. Then, he disappeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hi is this the thread for reducation? I want to learn more about this stuff, particularly the history and context these things grew out of, but I’m essentially starting from scratch, unlearning my useless high school knowledge of history. In particular I’ve found the Revolutions podcast to be a great help, but that only makes it half way through the Mexican Revolution. I have essentially no historical knowledge of what went down in Russia and China so I only get the CSPAM swamp Maoist jokes through pattern recognition. I’d appreciate any recommended lay documentaries, podcasts, or things of that nature.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kobayashi posted:

Hi is this the thread for reducation? I want to learn more about this stuff, particularly the history and context these things grew out of, but I’m essentially starting from scratch, unlearning my useless high school knowledge of history. In particular I’ve found the Revolutions podcast to be a great help, but that only makes it half way through the Mexican Revolution. I have essentially no historical knowledge of what went down in Russia and China so I only get the CSPAM swamp Maoist jokes through pattern recognition. I’d appreciate any recommended lay documentaries, podcasts, or things of that nature.
Report to the spooky ghost of LF thread comrade

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
actually turning this into a chinese history thread while continuing to mock the financial times would be good

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Everything is hosed up and cool for thousands of years

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

actually turning this into a chinese history thread while continuing to mock the financial times would be good

150 years ago some christians caused a rebellion in China that caused more death and displacement than the european theater of WWII but it didn't make it into western history books and has been erased from eastern ones

oops

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kobayashi posted:

This is the revisionism thread

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
There should be a Chairman Mao (pbuh) thread where we acknowledge that he would have Xi put to death and have the entire capitalist class in the modern PRC re-exterminated. This is why we need him back more than ever.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:27 on Mar 23, 2021

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we need an American Mao ready to lead a classicide

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sincx posted:

everything's so hosed

wow le epic trade war

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Graphic posted:

There should be a Chairman Mao (pbuh) thread where we acknowledge that he would have Xi put to death and have the entire capitalist class in the modern PRC re-exterminated. This is why we need him back more than ever.

Mao's mistake was chickening out of the Cultural Revolution

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

sincx posted:

everything's so hosed

This is the five hundredth time this photo has been posted in cspam. Every time it becomes even more resonant and powerful

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Graphic posted:

Oh word?

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

gradenko_2000 posted:

Mao's mistake was chickening out of the Cultural Revolution

well he also didn't plan the project very precisely. so lets learn from those mistakes and try again! you can do it CCP! you can exterminate the capitalist classes if you just focus very very hard and read comrade Mao

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taintrunner posted:

we need an American Mao ready to lead a classicide

It's time comrades, to kill the bougioise and their cop pets

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1048969325577682945

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

yeah!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Graphic posted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

weird how people keep panicking over people getting allegedly "disappeared" and then it turns out they're still alive

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

The only good Interpol album was the first one

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Algund Eenboom posted:

The only good Interpol album was the first one

They’re stuff recently has been fine.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
bingbing so simple

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

gradenko_2000 posted:

weird how people keep panicking over people getting allegedly "disappeared" and then it turns out they're still alive

It's just luck that Saudi Arabia has set the bar for being truly awful at "murder and dismember a dude inside the embassy" (assuming that guy doesn't also turn up alive).

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Modest Mao posted:

150 years ago some christians caused a rebellion in China that caused more death and displacement than the european theater of WWII but it didn't make it into western history books and has been erased from eastern ones

oops

Is this true? Last I checked the CCP still clearly supported the Taiping, albeit less vigorously than they used to.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kassad posted:

It's just luck that Saudi Arabia has set the bar for being truly awful at "murder and dismember a dude inside the embassy" (assuming that guy doesn't also turn up alive).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBgbYQ5QAM0

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

P-Mack posted:

Is this true? Last I checked the CCP still clearly supported the Taiping, albeit less vigorously than they used to.

Yeah the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom didn't exactly disappear from history, it's just that nobody cares about it.

It is interesting how the Taiping were so progressive in some ways that only revolutionary Christian psychopaths can be.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The taiping rebellion is probably the most pointless war in history which is amazing

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Larry Parrish posted:

The taiping rebellion is probably the most pointless war in history which is amazing

nah, it was making the point that standardized tests being the major basis for career advancement is a lovely dumb system

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Larry Parrish posted:

An American saying this is amazing

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yeah the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom didn't exactly disappear from history, it's just that nobody cares about it.

It is interesting how the Taiping were so progressive in some ways that only revolutionary Christian psychopaths can be.

Well that’s because even heretical Chinese doomsday cults can see that Christ inherently wanted the overthrow of the rich and powerful.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Hong Xiuquan is histories greatest failson and I will not allow you to call the brother of Christ heretical

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

it is pretty funny that Americans can’t stop eating General Tso’s, when he was basically a mass murderer.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

I get where this comes from- The Qing were a corrupt mess circling the drain before the war, and they were a corrupt mess circling the drain after the war, so it's easy to kind of pass over it, especially for a professor trying to teach all of Chinese history in 12 weeks. But there were serious and important reasons it happened (beyond Jesus's brother lol) and serious and important consequences (beyond the horrific death toll).

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Before the Cultural Revolution it was a bigger deal, since the standard history had it as the start of a connected wave of revolutionary people's movements, with the failed Taiping, the incomplete revolution of 1911, and finally the communist triumph of 1949. The focus was on the flaws of feudalism and the dysfunction of the Qing, and foreign intervention was treated as a mere consequence and symptom of internal ills.
After Deng, shift towards a more generic nationalism, and the century of humiliation narrative plays up the role of the west. The Taiping can still be the "good guys" since the foreign meddlers ultimately sided with the Qing, but their proto-communism is no longer as useful to the narrative.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it is pretty funny that Americans can’t stop eating General Tso’s, when he was basically a mass murderer.

I think this may actually be a bit political- the chef who first made it in Taiwan was catering a banquet for Chiang and other KMT bigwigs. Just as the Communists liked to identify as successors to the Taiping, the later KMT saw themselves as defenders of traditional order and Chinese civilization like Zuo Zongtang and Zeng Guofan.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Somewhere in China, a dude is chomping down some Oberstgruppenfuhrer Himmel's Bratwurst from a takeout place and nodding sagely

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

IIRC the important takeaway from the Taiping Rebellion was that the Qing bureaucracy was supplanted by the political power of the landed gentry, since they were the ones who had to martial the militia armies that defeated the Taiping. It's one of the earliest signs that China was fated for warlordism.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

IIRC the important takeaway from the Taiping Rebellion was that the Qing bureaucracy was supplanted by the political power of the landed gentry, since they were the ones who had to martial the militia armies that defeated the Taiping. It's one of the earliest signs that China was fated for warlordism.

That was the standard interpretation but I think it is contested nowadays. It skips over a lot of reforms (successful and otherwise) and internal power shifts in the long decades separating Zeng Guofan and Yuan Shikai. It definitely killed off the pre-war military system though, everyone's in agreement on that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ABSCBNNews/status/1049466978195390464

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Serious question: I know nearly nothing about Chinese history, economics, and politics. Where's a good place to start reading about that stuff from Deng Xiaoping onwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
https://www.amazon.com/Wealth-Power-Chinas-Twenty-first-Century/dp/0679643478

this is really readable