Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Also, my work is getting a pair of OLED 4K TVs next week. I have to set them up with the soundbar/UHD Bluray accessories, so what's a good reference disc? I think the HDR standard is Coco(?) but I already have a blu copy of that. Maybe T2 or Predator??

Pacific Rim. Best my OLED 4K TV has ever looked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalsePriest
Oct 20, 2010

"hi im pyle shittenhouse" *plop* *plop* *plop* "oops i have shit in your house lol"

FilthyImp posted:

Also, my work is getting a pair of OLED 4K TVs next week. I have to set them up with the soundbar/UHD Bluray accessories, so what's a good reference disc? I think the HDR standard is Coco(?) but I already have a blu copy of that. Maybe T2 or Predator??

Pacific Rim and Power Rangers are knockout demo discs

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

T2 looks good but not as good as they hyped it up to be.

I mean Danny Boyle is always dependable for visuals but $18m only goes so far. It's not an ugly movie by any means though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

T2 got overcleaned, it’s a bit waxy in places. For a $16 disc I don’t mind too much, and a lot of it looks great. Not reference.

Yeah everyone raves about Pacific Rim, and aren’t the two Blade Runner films pretty solid too? Even on my 65” 4K OLED I’m too afraid to watch 2049 because the IMAX screen I saw it at was just incredible and I know my home setup will just pale in comparison.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Men in Black looks really, really good too. A great showcase for the blacks that HDR can produce because they wear those black suits the whole movie.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pacific Rim is a 2k upscale too.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
wait has it not been Specific Rim this whole time

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Just a head's up, this is not the Arrow Films release.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Ive heard Annihilation’s HDR presentation is reference-worthy. I certainly wanna see it. Such a pretty film.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So I just bought my first 4K UHD Blu-ray, Blade Runner 2049. I don't have a 4K TV yet but now I'm antsy for one. Here's my dilemma. I'd love to go up in size from my 65" tv to a 75". But I also want an OLED because I'm a picture quality whore. The cheapest 75+ OLED is about $7,000, so that's out of the question. I basically have three options. Buy a 75" LCD (sacrifice picture quality), buy a 65" OLED (sacrifice size), or wait 2 or 3 years until OLEDs are more reasonably priced and get a 75" OLED. What would ya'll do?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
How far are you sitting from the tv?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

How far are you sitting from the tv?

About 7 feet. I know that seems close, but keep in mind that the recommend distance for 4K is 1-1.5 times the diagonal of the screen. So with a 75" that puts me right in that zone.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Basebf555 posted:

Men in Black looks really, really good too. A great showcase for the blacks that HDR can produce

He's called Will Smith you racist

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spatulater bro! posted:

About 7 feet. I know that seems close, but keep in mind that the recommend distance for 4K is 1-1.5 times the diagonal of the screen. So with a 75" that puts me right in that zone.

I'm 9" from my TV, I'll never be able to afford a 4k :smith:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Well recommended or not I would go with the 65", you're only a foot and change from optimal.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Spatulater bro! posted:

I basically have three options. Buy a 75" LCD (sacrifice picture quality), buy a 65" OLED (sacrifice size), or wait 2 or 3 years until OLEDs are more reasonably priced and get a 75" OLED. What would ya'll do?
Hey there, comedy option 4 is buy the refreshed-processor version of the 65" NOW because it's on sale for like $2,100 from this ebay listing.

I know the 10 extra inches would be immersive or whatever, but that's about $1000 cheaper than the amazon price for the set.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

From Arrow Video:

This finally convinced me to pull the trigger on the Phantasm set.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Spatulater bro! posted:

From Arrow Video:

Same but for the Scorpion set

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Spatulater bro! posted:

From Arrow Video:

Is anything after II worth watching? I love the original, but I was extremely apathetic about II.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
How is the Suzuki set? I forgot about that one.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is anything after II worth watching? I love the original, but I was extremely apathetic about II.

Every Phantasm movie is good, but II is the least good.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love the first one and II, but I cant stand the rest.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
ravager was hot garbage. I love the rest, tho.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think III is a better version of II. It takes things in a more horror-action-comedy route though. The fourth one was unbelievably boring so I refuse to watch the fifth one.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is there a Little Shop of Horrors Blu that has the original ending in fully-restored color actually edited into the movie? I know it exists as an SD black-and-white bonus feature on one, and I know there's been a theatrical release of it, but do any editions actually have the full thing watchable as originally intended?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Is there a Little Shop of Horrors Blu that has the original ending in fully-restored color actually edited into the movie? I know it exists as an SD black-and-white bonus feature on one, and I know there's been a theatrical release of it, but do any editions actually have the full thing watchable as originally intended?

Yeah it looks like the Blu-ray mentioning "director's cut" includes it. I was shocked the last time I watched it because I thought the ending still only existed in B&W.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I like the "happy" ending :shrug:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That’s not a controversial take- the redo was less a Magnificent Andersons situation and more the filmmakers deciding it wasn’t working. On the stage there’s a certain unreality, everyone comes out for a final bow in the end, and Seymour and the others even appear in the final number as “buds” on the plant (something they apparently tried to do in the movie but ditched.) Plus some other edits to the material (particularly Seymour’s passage in “The Meek Shall Inherit”) make the lead seem more hapless, in the play it’s clearer that he has a choice to let this continue.

I’m glad both versions exist now. (The original drags on a bit but I’m convinced that’s more down to it being a rough edit that would have been trimmed had the ending been kept.)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Plus some other edits to the material (particularly Seymour’s passage in “The Meek Shall Inherit”) make the lead seem more hapless, in the play it’s clearer that he has a choice to let this continue.

Well, that, and who could possibly wish for bad things to happen to Rick Moranis?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

While I was dating my to-be wife long distance, we thought it would be nice to have movie nights where we’d both get the same film and watch it at the same time, while texting each other back and forth. One of her faves was Little Shop, so we decided on that as the first one. Everything went fine for the first hour or so, until it eventually transpired we both had different versions of the movie, leading to more and more confused texts about things the other person wasn’t seeing. We didn’t do it again.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Scream Factory has a sale going on:
https://www.shoutfactory.com/sale/shocktober-2018

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Indicator set to release Altman’s California Split, probably in January.
http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/california-split-1974

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Well I just spent $100. I hope you're proud of yourself.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

oneforthevine posted:

Indicator set to release Altman’s California Split, probably in January.
http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/california-split-1974

gently caress YES, an easy top 10/very arguable top 5 Altman finally comes to blu.

Speaking of Altman, I finally watched the copy of Come Back To The Five And Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean and that is also a top 5 movie of his. I went in completely blind and nearly fell out of my chair when he started introducing the invisible mirror stuff.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm close to ordering the second Vincent Price set (mainly for The Raven, The Comedy of Terrors, and House on Haunted Hill), but I'm still sore about missing out on the first volume.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

How long does this last?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

How long does this last?

I would guess through October, from the name.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

How long does this last?

quote:

But make sure you reap your rewards now – once the clock strikes midnight* on October 15, 2018, these deals will be over.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm close to ordering the second Vincent Price set (mainly for The Raven, The Comedy of Terrors, and House on Haunted Hill), but I'm still sore about missing out on the first volume.

I got that set just before they became unobtainable and it's pure sex.

ALSO!

Deep Discount DVD is having a buy one get one free sale on Lionsgate blu-rays. The Vestron Video blu-ray series is included in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wherd.