Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tippecanoe posted:

A burr grinder is a great investment vs. a blade grinder and will probably make the biggest difference to your coffee. For not too much money you could get a cheap hand grinder like the Hario Skerton (be warned it is a workout)

So I'm looking at getting a Better(tm) grinder, and I'm debating between a Skerton from the OP and a Handground, but I'm seeing a lot of "coarse grinds are really inconsistent" on both of them so I'm kind of torn, unless it just ends up in "you're buying a coffee sifter regardless" territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
At that price range you are going to get inconsistency everywhere to be honest.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Qubee posted:

For any UK people looking for an amazing coffee roaster to order beans from, give https://www.darkartscoffee.co.uk/ a go. Ordered on Saturday, received the coffee today. My favourite coffee hands down is Lost Highway, tastes like snickers / mars bars in coffee form. The smell of the beans is a night and day difference compared to lovely store bought.

Thanks, will check this out, I'm nearly run out of Hasbean beans.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
I love coffee, but it's a real pain in the rear end to make a good cup of it.

Or maybe it's just me being a perfectionist, I dunno. I've made like 6 cups of varying levels of unpalatability in the last day or so, three in the V60 yesterday which went from bitter/acidic to tart/acidic as I went more coarse and three today in the CCD which were all bitter/burnt to some extent. I did 1:16 ratio for both as suggested by various people and it seemed like continuing to lower the grind fineness helped somewhat, but even with the CCD I'm now making my way into the Coarse range from Medium on my Capresso Infinity and it's still taking an entire minute to drain rather than the 30 seconds it's supposed to take (3:30 total time). At this rate I'll bottom out on the coarse range of my grinder before it's reasonable which seems excessive; that's French Press levels of coarseness. I'm not sure what else to do though. In any case, I'll have to take a break for a little while because I'm overcaffeinated. :coffeepal:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Keret posted:

I love coffee, but it's a real pain in the rear end to make a good cup of it.

Or maybe it's just me being a perfectionist, I dunno. I've made like 6 cups of varying levels of unpalatability in the last day or so, three in the V60 yesterday which went from bitter/acidic to tart/acidic as I went more coarse and three today in the CCD which were all bitter/burnt to some extent. I did 1:16 ratio for both as suggested by various people and it seemed like continuing to lower the grind fineness helped somewhat, but even with the CCD I'm now making my way into the Coarse range from Medium on my Capresso Infinity and it's still taking an entire minute to drain rather than the 30 seconds it's supposed to take (3:30 total time). At this rate I'll bottom out on the coarse range of my grinder before it's reasonable which seems excessive; that's French Press levels of coarseness. I'm not sure what else to do though. In any case, I'll have to take a break for a little while because I'm overcaffeinated. :coffeepal:

So why not start draining sooner?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

So I'm looking at getting a Better(tm) grinder, and I'm debating between a Skerton from the OP and a Handground, but I'm seeing a lot of "coarse grinds are really inconsistent" on both of them so I'm kind of torn, unless it just ends up in "you're buying a coffee sifter regardless" territory.

Skerton or Javapresse should do you fine.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

HappyHippo posted:

It's pour-over, it's always draining. :ssh:

e: I missed the clever coffee dripper half. Yeah.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

You can get (more) consistently grinding hand grinders but they quickly start costing $$$. the Skerton is kinda bad because the inner bur is just dangling like a pendulum and bounces all over the place, especially on coarser grinds. I haven't used the Handground but just looking at the design with a bearing near the grindy bits it should be better, assuming it's made halfway competently.

Both are going to be better than an whirly blade grinder.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
You can spend :10bux: on an adapter thing for the skerton which stabilizes the burr. Still not perfect but definitely a big improvement.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I ended up ordering a skerton plus, since that (ostensibly) has some upgrades over the other models for stability/consistency/etc, and I'm down for hand modding it if necessary (also I need something portable-ish anyways). More of the handground reviews were talking about it being a flimsy thing prone to breaking a couple months down the line even with the "better consistency" fixes they put in later so :rip: that, I guess.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spuckuk posted:

Thanks, will check this out, I'm nearly run out of Hasbean beans.

I guess they has bean used? :dadjoke:

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

Keret posted:

I did 1:16 ratio for both

1:16 is an awful lot of water. I get an acceptable cup from 1:12 at best (after fiddling around with grind size, temperature and timing) but most beans need around 1:8 for me. I usually never like the V60 I get from cafés so I'm probably in the minority though...

Oromo fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 9, 2018

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Jesus Christ making coffee at 1:8 has got to be expensive as hell.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
I'm looking into acquiring a small batch coffee roaster, aside from the Huky 500 which others are recommended?

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

HappyHippo posted:

I could do that with the CCD, but I feel like I'd be better served learning what I'm doing wrong so I can bring it in line with what other people are doing than doubling down on these settings and potentially screwing myself over later. That said, I tried it again this morning with a coarse grind and it still takes over a minute to drain, so I wonder if my grinder is just hosed up...

The V60 still takes around 3:30 as well despite going pretty coarse with the grind (still 1:16ish), so I dunno what's going on.

Oromo posted:

1:16 is an awful lot of water. I get an acceptable cup from 1:12 at best (after fiddling around with grind size, temperature and timing) but most beans need around 1:8 for me. I usually never like the V60 I get from cafés so I'm probably in the minority though...

I couldn't imagine being able to make anything lower than 1:16 ratio right now; I'm nearly bottoming out on coarseness settings as is and still it takes too long to drain and makes slightly bitter cups.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I think my Skerton is slowly dying, I noticed what looked like a crack in the ceramic so I need another quiet-ish alternative that won't disturb downstairs neighbours at 4am like my Encore probably would. It's definitely better, more consistent, quicker and less strenuous but not ideal for really early mornings.

And I thought 1:16 was a fairly high amount of coffee and normal people used 1:18 or so. 1:8 is like extreme cold brew ratios, if that's your normal brew then maybe just forego the water and spoon the coffee beans directly into your mouth?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Keret posted:

I could do that with the CCD, but I feel like I'd be better served learning what I'm doing wrong so I can bring it in line with what other people are doing than doubling down on these settings and potentially screwing myself over later. That said, I tried it again this morning with a coarse grind and it still takes over a minute to drain, so I wonder if my grinder is just hosed up...

Well, mine usually takes around a minute to drain as well, and this website says "1.5 minutes or less" so maybe you aren't doing anything wrong?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

So if I pull shots at 20.5g in and 41g out am I some kind of monster?

I go through a pound every 10-14 days or so, depending on travel maybe even less. Even at $13-17 a pound it’s not crazy expensive. Even with equipment cost (lol) it’s a fraction of Starbucks pricing for a way better cup.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Keret posted:

The V60 still takes around 3:30 as well despite going pretty coarse with the grind (still 1:16ish), so I dunno what's going on.

I couldn't imagine being able to make anything lower than 1:16 ratio right now; I'm nearly bottoming out on coarseness settings as is and still it takes too long to drain and makes slightly bitter cups.

It's your grinder.

With my LIDO I can grind it fairly fine and it will drain a full cup in like 90 seconds if I just dump it in. It should never clog. The weird thing is that with cheaper grinders I think you'll actually produce MORE dust/fines when you go to the coarsest settings and it just makes the clogging worse. Is there a way to recalibrate the capresso?

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 10, 2018

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I'd rather drink half the amount of 1:8 than going 1:16. Also most of the good expensive beans can go up to at least 1:10

Keret posted:

I'm nearly bottoming out on coarseness settings as is and still it takes too long to drain and makes slightly bitter cups.

I suggest you get a one size bigger V60, regardless of whether you change the ratio or not. Sucks to buy more equipment but it's cheaper than getting a new grinder...

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

About $2.43 per 300ml cup in beans alone based on avg. reputable roaster here. Utility cost is probably relatively negligible, and amortizing equipment cost could be hugely variable.

I do about 1:15 though.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Geez, I thought I liked strong coffee at 1:16 in my V60. I'll have to try some other ratios.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Isn't there a point where there isn't enough water to effectively extract from the amount of coffee that you have in there?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

RichterIX posted:

Isn't there a point where there isn't enough water to effectively extract from the amount of coffee that you have in there?

yes

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

RichterIX posted:

I'm curious about this, I can't imagine that you'd get good extraction with that little (relatively) water. Not without pressure, like you get with espresso.

I've got a TDS meter so maybe I'll buy a bag of cheap coffee and run some experiments :science: :coffeepal:

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

Goons that are baffled by ratios thicker than 1:16, try this quick experiment:

Just make a 1:16 brew like normal but use four cups. Make the first quarter of the water drip into one cup, the 2nd quarter into another one etc.
Then make four even ratio mixtures from the cups to figure out which ratio you like best:
1:4 mixture: made just from 1st cup
1:8 mixture : made from 1st and 2nd cups
1:12 mixture : made from 1st 2nd and 3rd cups
1:16 mixture: made from all the cups

This will give you just an approximation because beans in true 1:4, 1:8 and 1:12 brews will have had longer contact with the water and that affects the taste. But nevertheless. For me this was eye-opening.

RichterIX posted:

Yes it's true - but it depends also on pressure, time and temperature. With thick ratios like these I get better results with water straight off the boil (hadn't connected those dots before..)
Some parts of the coffee though, especially the last bit that gets drained out, taste just awful and are best left behind in the bean IMO.

Oromo fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 11, 2018

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

Oneiros posted:

I've got a TDS meter so maybe I'll buy a bag of cheap coffee and run some experiments :science: :coffeepal:
Hope we get to see the results :synthy:

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Mu Zeta posted:

It's your grinder.

With my LIDO I can grind it fairly fine and it will drain a full cup in like 90 seconds if I just dump it in. It should never clog. The weird thing is that with cheaper grinders I think you'll actually produce MORE dust/fines when you go to the coarsest settings and it just makes the clogging worse. Is there a way to recalibrate the capresso?

It might be honestly; it's about 4 or 5 years old now. I managed to make a pretty good cup today with the V60, using 1:16 ratio and the first notch of Coarse on the Infinity, but that seems awfully coarse. Still haven't gotten a good cup from the CCD yet but I haven't tried it again. I did run the grinder at the various divisions of fineness (Extra Fine/Fine/Medium/Coarse) and it was hard to tell a major difference in the first 3, with the Coarse being noticeably larger but, as you mentioned, with finer particles mixed in. Not sure if that was just leftover grounds from the finer ones I did just before though. I could also just be going insane from obsessing about this poo poo. :v: I might test it with my Skerton that I still have lying around and see what it does. About what size are the grinds that you use out of your LIDO?

Not sure where to send this thing for a tune-up though.

I will say, when everything lines up right with the V60, it really delivers in the fruity bright department. :o::coffee:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can get flannel/nel drip coffee at some fancy Japanese coffee shops where they do like a 4:1 ratio while also using really old beans and really low temperature, like 170 F.

Blue Bottle also does 10:1 ratio for pour overs. I'm glad because if I'm paying like $5 for pour over I want that 30g of coffee beans.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
How much coffee do you guys have stay in the grinder? I have an Infinity and only do about 15 beans at a time and it usually seems like I have to work at shaking the last gram or so out. If I was doing a whole pot at a time I wouldn't care but when it's for one cup it's annoying.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Does this thread consider half n half or other such creamers to be verboten? Depends how good the coffee is?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

IMO they are fine but it's good to taste the coffee by itself first, at least a sip.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Damnit enthusiasts are supposed to have binary answers. Anyway yeah I'm trying to decide if I like my home cup better with or not. Work needs it to be drinkable but at home I can fresh grind and pourover so it feels like I'm polluting it.

I dunno, I'm also rambling.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

silvergoose posted:

Does this thread consider half n half or other such creamers to be verboten? Depends how good the coffee is?

It's your mouth, drink what you want. I don't mind cream when I'm drinking some pre-ground drip coffee, but I don't use it when I've taken the time to pick the beans and treat them nicely. They cover up all sorts of bad in coffee, but that means they cover up all sorts of good too. I always feel like non-dairy creamers leave a weird residue in my mouth though, so I just skip them entirely.

There's something to be said for frothed half and half though, so I will sometimes use it with espresso at about 1:2::coffee :half and half.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

so my virtruso or w/e is not grinding super well, it seems clean. What's the tell to replace the burrs?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I like heating up some lactose free milk on weekends in my breville frother for my moka pot drink. It's more of a calorie thing though than purity of coffee decision.

Of course I'm terrible and drink nepresso during the week since I have the machine in my classroom and I can brew a quick shot in 30 seconds. My students know when they are about to get a warning about behavior when I turn around and start the machine

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

so my virtruso or w/e is not grinding super well, it seems clean. What's the tell to replace the burrs?

What I understand is you only replace the ring burr, and if it takes 2 minutes to grind what should take 30 seconds or less, it's time to replace it.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
I’ve been trying to find the part of this thread but I’m having trouble, so i guess I’ll ask:

I’m looking to finally break into espresso: Gaggia Classic or Rancilio Silvia? I would love to do the Rocket Appartamento but it’s probably just too out of my price range.

How is the Gaggia? Reviews for it are a little iffy imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I had a Gaggia Classic and it's a nightmare to use if you don't install the PID thing. Only buy it if you plan on adding one. The temperature can vary wildly without one.