Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I posted this a few years ago, but we have a need again. I made some edits but it's mostly relevant.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Who we are: A vendor that produces a multi-channel content generation tool for publishing companies, like newspapers, research banks, and book publishers. Sort of like a huge platform that combines functions like Office, Wordpress, Sharepoint, etc.

Available Jobs: Linux system admin and developers. I'm a sysadmin, and I pretty much spend all day assisting our customers setup our environments, writing bash scripts to help perform specific tasks for the systems and working with customers staff to setup and design their environments.

Where we are: NYC, Wall Street

Job Locations: NYC office, although we have an office in Milan Italy, and a need for someone who lives/works in NYC but can travel to DC.

What we're looking for: We need linux administrators. Someone I can set in front of a terminal, can manage to tab-complete (seriously, if you don't tab complete don't put "Linux" on a resume), can decipher bash scripting, and in general has a decent knowledge of clustering technologies, SAN storage, and basic networking. While our company develops software, your primary job will be assisting the technology staff of other companies to support our software. It's not like help desk support, you won't deal with end users, but you will be a consultant for their tier 3 in house staff. Our customers have their own huge IT departments, and we are just the experts they bring in to assist when they can't figure it out. It's nice because at the end of the day, they have to do everything and we just get to guide them.

Also, they need java and web developers. I don't work on that side of the office, so I don't know specifically what they need, but I know they are looking.

Why it's a great place to work: The culture is very European, and not NYC IT, so you aren't worked like a dog and then not appreciated. It's a small office in NYC, we have a lot of employees, but mainly we get assigned to a customer and they provide an office space for all of us there. The company has a good pipeline of work for the next few years, and they really encourage having a life in addition to working. They think that if you are killing yourself working it's a mistake. I really like it, it's not like a super hip start up, they've been around since the 90's and are very mature. I really like my manager, he treats us like humans, has our back, and really takes care of us.

email a resume to ericcorp AT gmail DOT com if you are interested.

We have an urgent need. If you get something to me you can probably have an interview this week.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Goddamn that sounds really fun. If hadn’t left my Linux chops behind and jumped on the Azure bandwagon I’d immediately apply.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Job Openings

Moved on from my previous gig and new place is having a big engineering/product recruitment push. Pretty much everything from software engineers to UX designers up to data science and management.

Who: Cargurus
Where: Cambridge, MA
What: Java/Python developers for web application and product owners for different parts of the site
Why: Growing tech company with decent perks, good work/life balance and excellent location. Generous compensation with bonus and stock grants

Take a look at https://careers.cargurus.com if you are looking and are in the area. I cannot comment about relocation but if you want me to go ask drop me a pm or an email at mung.foo@gmail.com

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I got pinged by a recruiter from Indeed for a software developer job. He mentioned that "Best of all, we pay people to interview with us." If this weren't a company I've heard of before, that would sound shady as hell. Is that still a valid feeling for a known company who's not otherwise shady? Does anyone else have experience with Indeed?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

hooah posted:

I got pinged by a recruiter from Indeed for a software developer job. He mentioned that "Best of all, we pay people to interview with us." If this weren't a company I've heard of before, that would sound shady as hell. Is that still a valid feeling for a known company who's not otherwise shady? Does anyone else have experience with Indeed?

A former coworker works there, he paid for my liquor 2? years back at SRECon. A+ would drink on Indeed's dime again.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Indeed is pretty well liked at the moment.

Kid A
Jul 27, 2003

O Captain! My Part Time
Alternate Captain!
Who we are: NC State Employees' Credit Union

Available Jobs: Systems Administrator

Where we are: Raleigh, NC

Job Locations: Raleigh (remote work is not an option)

What we're looking for: Junior level admin for our Server Virtualization team.

The good: This is my team and I work with some really smart people who don't act like they're the smartest person in the room. They're also super fun and laid back. The credit union is a solid place to work. The benefits are good and it's been around forever.

The bad: The dress code. Guys have to wear ties.

Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Floor Pie
Apr 17, 2002

Who we are:: Olo, enabling online ordering for restaurants such as Five Guys, IHOP, and Wingstop

Available Jobs: Senior Software Engineer (C#/.NET), Fraud Prevention Engineer, Director of Engineering

Where we are: HQ in NYC but hiring for remote workers anywhere in the US

Job Locations: Anywhere in US, work from home

The good: Work with a lot of really smart people, a lot of flexibility around working hours, supportive company that wants people to learn and grow.

The bad: Most engineers are remote and you have to be okay with being self-directed much of the time.

Send me a PM if you're interested!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just a quick thread update, I've had a few people send me their resumes, and I believe one of them is coming in tomorrow for a screening test. See, dreams do come true!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

MF_James posted:

Looking for a new job, need to get out of MSP hell.

Job Seeker

My experience: Been at an MSP for 7-8 years now
2 years in hell desk
1 year doing QA/project stuff for a WFM rollout (30000+ users all over the lower 48)
4-5 years of network/sys admin (Fortigate Firewalls, Cisco routers/switches, hyper-v and ESXi, server 2008-2012r2, some light SQL, powershell, dell SANs, and a little Azure for DR/BC) basically I've touched a bit of everything, I've been more network focused recently, but servers are my bread and butter still.

What I'm looking for: Network/Systems Admin work
I wouldn't mind making a jump into cloud services, I learn quickly but just haven't had the time (thanks wedding planning and insane work hours) to jump into AWS free tier and learn yet, but we also do some stuff in Azure currently.

What I'm NOT looking for: Helpdesk, pure support work, or QA; also I'm not keen on contract work that's less than a year.

Where I live: Chicago, IL

Where I'm looking: Chicago or remote, suburbs MIGHT be possible if the job is right, part of my goal is to cut my commute down or make it public transit only.

When can I start: 3 weeks from acceptance/contract

Requirements: Health Insurance, good PTO and FTE* (if contract >= 12 months, boat money so I can afford insurance)

Bumping since I'm back to looking, now that I'm not planning a destination wedding and am in fact married.

silban
Apr 11, 2005

SOMETIMES UNEXPECTED THINGS HAPPEN, OK?!?!
Who we are: A company that designs and implements a ton of call center software suites both for our private cloud, on premise, and a mix of both for tons of large companies.

Available Jobs: Systems Security Analyst

Where we are: Atlanta, Georgia near Perimeter Mall (we have a handful of offices globally but this is the one we're hiring for)

Job Locations: Atlanta office, with work from home for two days a week once you're settled in.

What we're looking for: Someone that's got their feet wet with IT security. You don't have to be a rock star. We're just looking for someone with a couple years of experience, has a good attitude, and is willing and eager to learn more.

Why it's a great place to work: You get to touch a ton of different types of security technology. The IS team is a nice group of guys who are invested in ITSEC and you aren't just a cog in a machine. The changes you make happen are visible and appreciated by management. Free catered lunch one day a week on a rotating basis of the day. The ability to work from home. You won't be micromanaged and you'll be treated like an adult.

Contact: Forums PM is fine to kick things off and we can move from there.

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....
Who we are: Prime Now and Amazon Fresh

Available Jobs: Software Engineers (Intermediate + Senior)

Job location: Seattle

What we're looking for: My team is in the fulfillment space. We own multiple services built in Java and Ruby, with most of our newer front-end built in React (but there is some legacy front-end code around still). Looking for people who can build systems that scale, have a keen eye for building reliable systems that are easy to use for our warehouse associates. These are full-stack positions. We have a desire to move more things serverless and are doing some really cool innovative things.

Feel free to reach out to me on IRC or via email (my username)ey@gmail.com and I will get you sent to our recruiter for review ASAP.

You can also look at the job postings here - but there are multiple available:

https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/695951
https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/725290

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Who we are: Universal Audio

Available Jobs: Embedded Linux Developer

Job location: Boulder, CO

What we're looking for: UA is growing its engineering team, and we're looking for a new hire or two for our embedded Linux group. A good candidate doesn't need to have shipped embedded Linux before (although it's a big plus), but you do need solid Linux command-line chops. Other skills that are a plus: FPGA programming, microcontrollers, Linux kernel work, board bring-ups.

Here are some questions to see if you've got the skillset we want!
  • What are some differences between I2C, SPI, and UART?
  • What do the exit codes from a Linux process represent?
  • How do you redirect to stderr on the command line, and why would you do it?
  • How comfortable are you with writing shell scripts?
  • How do you use a configure script?
  • What are some issues you can run into when cross-compiling software?
We don't have job postings written up just yet, but I'm scouting in advance. UA is a great company and our Boulder office is awesome - send me a PM if you think you might be a good fit.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 18, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Poopernickel posted:

Who we are: Universal Audio

Available Jobs: Embedded Linux Developer

Job location: Boulder, CO

What we're looking for: UA is growing its engineering team, and we're looking for a new hire or two for our embedded Linux group. A good candidate doesn't need to have shipped embedded Linux before (although it's a big plus), but they do need solid Linux chops. Other skills that are a plus: FPGA programming, microcontrollers, Linux kernel work, board bring-ups.

We don't have job postings written up just yet, but I'm scouting in advance. UA is a great company and our Boulder office is awesome - send me a PM if you think you might be a good fit.

Check PMs

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
My previous job is looking to hire a sysadmin. This is a great chance for a smart person with a helpdesk/support background to move up and handle more challenges. You're also going to be in a really great workplace with really great people. Pardon the present tense here, I'm keeping it like other posts. I left it because I left my job before that one to do no more helpdesk, and I left this one because after the helpdesk guy was termed and a contractor not bought out for full-time, I was fed up with helpdesk. I also left for a vertical opportunity at another company.

Who we are: A broadcast media company headquartered in another state.

Where we are: This is the NYC office, located about five minutes from Christopher Street PATH and steps away from the Houston Street 1 train stop.

Job Title: Systems Administrator.

What we want: Someone who's strong with a lot of Windows-based technology. Win 7 desktops with Win 10 hopefully finally fixed and going out via SCCM, Exchange 2010 going to 2013, mobile devices via Exchange Activesync, basic desktop/server hardware troubleshooting and part swapping, reporting. You should have an understanding of networking but you don't need to be even near a CCNA. If you have experience with media storage libraries, tape drives, SANs, etc., the more the better. You'll be doing both sysadmin and helpdesk work so you need to work well with non-technical users. Knowing Lync Server 2013 and IP telephony is a big plus.

Why you'd want to work here: The company is is one of the most friendly, laid-back places I've ever worked. There is no dress code. Do the interview without a jacket (maybe wear khakis and a tie to be safe) and you can show up in a T-shirt and jeans.

I can count the number of users that even come close to the demanding angry user stereotype on half a hand. The place treats everyone like family. It is an 8-4 or 9-5 shift (as in you arrive at 8 and leave at 4, take lunch when you want) and salaried, so your work-life balance will be wonderful. You'll also be working in the home of the single greatest genre focused radio stations on the East Coast, so that's really freaking awesome even if you aren't big into the music.

Your co-workers are very good at what they do and very fun to be around. It's never a dull moment. There is no politics, everyone is a straight shooter, and your boss will be the single greatest boss you've ever worked for. I'm dead serious about this. The guy you report to is a saint, willing to teach, laid-back, sharp as a tack, and he leads from the trenches rather than his desk. You will see him with his sleeves rolled up terminating cables, de-soldering bad components, in meeting rooms, and helping you out if you need it.

The benefits are decent but you get a lot of holidays off. Healthcare costs are reasonable for what it is. Standard 10 days PTO with unlimited sick time. You get one religious holiday off per year as a free PTO day, along with any workday during the week of your birthday as another free day off. Transitchek is available. There's a 401k, but no matching (at least as of September 2018 when I left).

You'll get exposed to broadcast IT and radio broadcast engineering. If you are a nerdy person, you'll love it - my now-former boss remarks that he basically decided to hire me when I geeked out over them having a full electronics lab, oscilloscopes and all.

Why you wouldn't want to work here: You will be doing helpdesk. There's no getting around it. I left because I wanted to focus on engineering and sysadmin work exclusively, and I am not the kind of person that enjoys helpdesk. Your users are well-trained to spot phish attempts but they won't send you tickets half the time - they'll just walk up, or call you asking to come over and look at X or Y. They are nice people, and friendly about it, but they aren't going to want to learn how to fix stuff themselves or read your documentation. The helpdesk tasks are not frequent - you'll have time to work on your projects - but they won't go anywhere.

You'll also be working in the radio business. The company isn't going anywhere but it's tough to grow. Your technology will not be on the bleeding edge. You aren't going to be working on stuff that's out of support, but a lot of stuff has to be done by the corporate IT group in Indianapolis.

Salary: I was paid low six-figure range as a senior sysadmin. I am not sure what this role pays but I wouldn't expect it to be probably no more than the $90k range. If you can demonstrate your value, the boss understands that the right candidates can command good salaries. They don't nickel and dime you here.

Please contact me via PM if you'd like a referral or the application link.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Reposting as our pipeline is expanding and we're hiring again:

Rex-Goliath posted:

Job Posting

Preferably in the US but we're also hiring globally. Large emphasis on DC if you have a clearance. Work is entirely remote or traveling to client sites so as long as you're near an airport you're good.

International cities we're hiring in:
  • Paris, France
  • Tokyo, Japan
  • Ultrecht Netherlands
  • London, UK

Who We Are:
Up and coming enterprise NoSQL database company that's signing large contracts with top banks, governments, healthcare providers, etc. We're still under 500 employees so that means we're generally punching above our weight class when it comes to the contracts we're landing. Fortunately everyone here across all levels of all departments is incredibly smart and hard working so things have been going well. We had our final fundraising round back in 2014 and have been cash positive for quite a while now. We're still pre-IPO / buyout though so get in while the getting's good.

What We Need:
We're looking for senior consultants who will be leading customer engagements through all phases of a project life cycle. You must have prior consulting experience. Unfortunately we can't be flexible on that requirement. You'll also need a strong programming background and experience with database design. NoSQL experience isn't necessary but is a plus- will help you with the ramp up training.

We have an expanding pipeline and are looking to fill a few positions. We're very conservative with hiring though so once these positions are filled it will probably be a while until we open up again. If you're interested do not procrastinate reaching out to me.

Why Work Here?
  • Very competitive pay. Quarterly bonuses, spot bonuses, MBO bonuses, stock options, etc
  • Work is very interesting and sometimes groundbreaking. All of our customers are big and solving big problems. Some of these problems are things that can now only be solved due to our tech being available.
  • Company has a bright future. We're one of those moron companies that actually makes a useful product and charges money for it. Crazy.
  • Very good work culture here. No 'tech bro' bullshit that you see in some other startups. Everyone here is an adult.
  • Management is incredibly competent and engaged at all levels. Lots of recognition both verbal and in hard cash.
  • Tech we're building and deploying is borderline revolutionary. Will let you decide on that though. Get the chance to get in on the ground floor of something that could be very big.

Why NOT Work Here?
  • TRAVEL. 75% travel. Realistically will be closer to 50% but you have to be willing to do 75%. On rare occasions it can be 100%. This is the big one that filters out most of our promising candidates. Lots. of. travel. If you're a consultant already you know the drill so this shouldn't be a surprise to you.
  • Niche technology. I'm of the opinion that our tech is going to continue to flourish and this is a very good niche to settle into, but not everyone will be comfortable with that gamble. I regularly have recruiters hitting me up on linkedIn asking specifically about my experience with this technology. So it's a niche that's in demand.
  • The other cons are more just generic consulting gripes. If you're in the industry already you know what to expect. As long as you're ok with the consulting lifestyle there genuinely aren't any other major cons with this job. Management is solid, pay is very good, lots of emphasis on career development and technical training, etc.
  • 401k match is a bit ehh

Interested?
PM me or post an email so I can reach out to you. We can have a call so I can give you more details / give a brief screening just to be sure I'm not about to throw you into something way over your head.

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 19, 2018

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Looking for a job, currently riding five months unemployed due to RIF.

Job Seeker

My experience: 20 years hands on with Linux, 19 years hands on with Cisco network gear in both local and international settings, 12 years VMware enterprise experience

What I'm looking for: Something in the systems administrator area, preferably with Linux and virtualization.

What I'm NOT looking for: Dealing with customers.

Where I live: Maryland, outside of DC. (Rockville)

Where I'm looking: Rockville, Bethesda, Columbia Maryland area. Will consider Northern Virginia if the job is right.

When can I start: pretty much right away

Requirements: full time position preferred, full benefits, or serious hourly wage if contract.

Thanks!

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rex-Goliath posted:

Reposting as our pipeline is expanding and we're hiring again:

This is a cool and good place to work, I was there for a little while but life events caused me to have to leave because I couldn't stay in DC.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Plinkey posted:

This is a cool and good place to work, I was there for a little while but life events caused me to have to leave because I couldn't stay in DC.

Yeah I only got half my referral bonus too :mad:

<3 <3 <3

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rex-Goliath posted:

Yeah I only got half my referral bonus too :mad:

<3 <3 <3

thanks man

but in all honesty, taking at ~15k pay cut and working a drivable distace to my house works out bettter

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Job posting

Stockholm, Sweden. You need to be able to relocate here. We do sponsor work visas for non-EU citizens, and the company language is English. You can get by fine in Stockholm with no Swedish.

Who are we
Small-ish education startup (about five years old), about 100 employees, most of them in Stockholm, Sweden. We make digital textbooks for high schools, pretty much. Tech team is currently 12 people (11 programmers/engineers plus the CTO).

What we need
The formal title most of us have is "full-stack engineer". If you've written either REST-ish API's for the backend of a JS frontend application, or such JS applications in one of the flavor of the month frameworks (React/Vue/Angular/etc), and you have at least 2-3 years of experience with doing that kind of thing, then you're the kind of person we're looking for. You don't need to be good at both backend and frontend, but you need to be willing to work on both. We use Python, Django, Rest Framework, Postgres and Vue.js, but experience with those specifically isn't necessary.

We currently have two openings, one for a plain ol' programmer with some experience, and one for a more senior-ish person who is comfortable with some kind of lead role for 3-4 devs.

Why work here?
Simply put, it's chill. We make an application people appreciate and pay for, using technology that we understand. It's a startup, but there's no startup bullshit. What we do is a slightly better textbook with some handy extra features, and it's also marketed as a textbook. It's not ~disruption~ or trying to replace teachers with algorithms.

It's a low stress environment. We move as slowly as we need need to and try to avoid breaking things. We work regular office hours and are encouraged to turn off email/slack notifications outside of those hours, we write tests, we set our own deadlines and if you discover that it was harder than you thought it would be, well, then it's gonna take longer or you might have to reduce the scope. We have a soft-spoken and helpful engineering culture around these parts. If something goes wrong, you can count on the team being supportive. We value obvious and well-tested code over excessive cleverness. That said we're definitely not religiously against ugly workarounds, either. Pragmatic "software craftsmanship", I guess?

You get 30 days of paid vacation per year. You must use 20 of those (by law), the remaining 10 spill over until next year (until they've spilled over for five years, then you get paid the equivalent money instead). You can take another 15 unpaid if you want.

Sweden is a pretty exceptionally good place to live if you have kids.

Why not work here?
Compensation is good for the area but not great. Don't expect Silicon Valley pay grades, of course.

It's a startup but there are no stock options or stock grants in general (may not actually be a negative).

If you're looking for technical challenges or new fancy technology, this is not for you. This is about writing code that works and is easy to understand, in plain ol' Python, Javascript and SQL.

Stockholm tries really bad to pretend that it is a European metropolis, but it's really kinda on the rear end end of nowhere and not much goes on here compared to the bigger European capitals, let alone places like New York. Especially if you don't speak Swedish. You will not have an easy time learning Swedish since the office is English-speaking and most Swedes will just speak English to you as well.

Also, around this time of the year, this bullshit:

If interested, send a PM or post an email, I guess?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 27, 2018

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Job Seeker

My experience: 15+ years of Linux experience, 9 of it professional. AWS Certified Developer, working toward other certs. Spent about 8 years at an ISP with most of that in a hybrid dev/sysadmin role with light network engineering, now working as a consultant. Most of my work for the past 3 years has been a blend of cloud infrastructure (AWS), CI/CD pipeline design/management, and architecture work. Very heavy focus on automation. Intimate familiarity with many AWS features, primary driver on Terraform and Kubernetes for my current client for the last year. Major architectural design work on infrastructure for several software platforms in the agriculture space.

What I'm looking for: Senior/principal level work similar to my current role, dealing heavily with automation, infrastructure, and design. Little-to-no travel.

What I'm NOT looking for: Dealing with customers, frequent on-call rotations, user-facing app development, consulting/contract.

Where I live: Des Moines, IA

Where I'm looking: Remote or Des Moines, IA area

When can I start: Discussable, I'm still employed right now

Requirements: Full time position, full benefits, freedom to run Linux day to day on my work PC, some flexibility with time as I have a special needs child that sometimes requires me to make short-notice trips to his school.

I'm not actively trying to quit my job right now, but I'm not completely happy with it, and would be willing to make a move for the right gig.

toadoftoadhall
Feb 27, 2015
Seeker
My experience: 2 years part-time (LAMP stack) at marketing agency, 1.5 years full-time (web, Python, Go) at an engineering consultancy , CompSci BSc. Principal interest is embedded and infosec
What I'm looking for:
Something stimulating; being part of an engaged team
What I'm NOT looking for:
Most of the things we commonly associate with IT
Where I live:
Cambridge, UK
Where I'm looking:
Internationally
When can I start:
5 weeks from offer confirmation
Requirements
-
Contact
PM. I'm happy to provide more specifics regarding my experience.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Seeker!

My experience: 9+ years as a Windows/Linux/Cisco admin - systems, networking, project management, I've done it all.
What I'm looking for: A job where I can use my skills and NOT drive all over creation. One location is ideal.
What I'm NOT looking for: A 1.5-2 hour commute like I have now.
Where I live: Maryland, but planning on moving to...
Where I'm looking: The greater Philadelphia, PA area. Up to Allentown, over to West Chester, that section of PA, or down into Delaware. I haven't found an apartment yet, so I'm flexible.
When I can start: My lease in MD is up at the end of February, so depending on commute (I'm currently about 3 hours from Philly, which is doable for a very very short time), sometime around there.
Requirements: Health insurance, full time, vacation time.
Can be reached via: PM, happy to chat further!

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Seeker

My experience: 1-2 cumulative years as a "software guy" for local businesses. Mostly Java & Python. Continuous integration. Some cloud computing.

What I'm looking for: Something entry-level with a reasonable commute, preferably where I can be creative as part of a team and learn from others.

What I'm NOT looking for: Crunch hours, instability.

Where I live: Dayton, OH

Where I'm looking: Anywhere in the midwest, or elsewhere in the US depending on cost-of-living.

When I can start: ASAP, pending relocation.

Requirements: Full-time, health insurance?

Can be reached via: PM

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Seeker

My experience: 12 years of full-stack web dev with some Windows desktop application and a little native mobile development in there for flavor. I'm good at JS, C#, SQL and have experience with but am rusty at Python, Java, PHP and Perl. Web front-end is probably my strongest area, FWIW.

What I'm looking for: I'd like to try something new, but I'm fine with staying in the .Net stack - it's nice there.

What I'm NOT looking for: LAMP stack, unless it's helping to replace one with something better. Don't think I can handle full-time travel, but some is fine.

Where I live: Minneapolis, MN

Where I'm looking: Around where I live or remote

When I can start: Immediately

Requirements: Full-time + all that that generally implies in the US.

Can be reached via: PM me or email my user name at yahoo (and then say something ITT please).

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
Seeker

My experience: Worked as a software engineer intern/contractor in the Valley for 1.5 years, programmer for 3.5 years, fixing lovely software in my current position (happy to share actual details in private).

What I'm looking for: Junior SE position. I want to get back into proper software engineering.

What I'm NOT looking for: Senior SE and above. I keep getting pings for this kind of poo poo because I have industry experience, but I need to start at a junior position for personal reasons.

Where I live: SF Bay Area

Where I'm looking: SF Bay Area, Seattle, Portland, Denver, NYC, Boston. Willing to consider other locations.

When I can start: ASAP. Would need some time off to prepare before starting, depending on location (few weeks to quit current job etc).

Requirements: Solid learning environment, fair pay, full time, benefits.... I'm pretty easy going.

Can be reached via: PM, email is username at gmail (mention you're a goon or something in the subject please to weed out spam)

This thread randomly caught my eye and I've been actively looking for the past 6 months and now I'm pissed I missed this thread earlier! But for real, thank you :)

pliable fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 31, 2018

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

pliable posted:

What I'm NOT looking for: Senior SE and above. I keep getting pings for this kind of poo poo because I have industry experience, but I need to start at a junior position for personal reasons.

I want to hear your reasoning behind this. Reading your post it sounds like imposter syndrome or lack of understanding about title bloat. Or both. Pick up the phone, let them turn you down.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

I want to hear your reasoning behind this. Reading your post it sounds like imposter syndrome or lack of understanding about title bloat. Or both. Pick up the phone, let them turn you down.

Tl;dr: I haven't actually been working a real software engineering position since 2013. Since then, I've been doing what amounts to help desk IT work with very minimal programming. And yeah, plenty of imposter syndrome there and other fun mental health issues have been impeding me. Hence, me saying I want to get back into proper software engineering.

Happy to discuss more in PM!

pliable fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 31, 2018

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

pliable posted:

Tl;dr: I haven't actually been working a real software engineering position since 2013. Since then, I've been doing what amounts to help desk IT work with very minimal programming. And yeah, plenty of imposter syndrome there and other fun mental health issues have been impeding me. Hence, me saying I want to get back into proper software engineering.

Happy to discuss more in PM!

I'm not your shrink, but if you need mental health help you should get it. If you need mental health drugs you should take them. Better living through chemistry.

Your industry experience is likely worth more than you think. Again titles are basically made through dice roll unless it's one of the big tech companies. Don't apply to those. Find a recruiter and don't say negative things about yourself. When I am reviewing resumes I spend half my time just throwing away folks who have "senior whatever" on there because it's actually just "mildly competent and we wanted them to feel good about the low pay." Take that job. If rejection is going to crush you, schedule sessions with your shrink after interviews.

Basically good jobs and upward mobility come to those who just go with the flow on interviews. If you wind up in over your head go from there.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

I'm not your shrink, but if you need mental health help you should get it. If you need mental health drugs you should take them. Better living through chemistry.

Your industry experience is likely worth more than you think. Again titles are basically made through dice roll unless it's one of the big tech companies. Don't apply to those. Find a recruiter and don't say negative things about yourself. When I am reviewing resumes I spend half my time just throwing away folks who have "senior whatever" on there because it's actually just "mildly competent and we wanted them to feel good about the low pay." Take that job. If rejection is going to crush you, schedule sessions with your shrink after interviews.

Basically good jobs and upward mobility come to those who just go with the flow on interviews. If you wind up in over your head go from there.

I'm gonna send you a PM in response :)

Gallipoli
Apr 27, 2004

Not the Italian city. No one cares about the Italian city.
Job posting

Who we are: We use robots to plant forests/rangelands in an effort to combat climate change. Techstars ‘16 alum, VC backed, and paid per acre by 3 of the 5 largest timber companies in the US and some other NGOs you might have heard of. There are ~20 of us.

What we are looking for: Hardware engineers, software engineers, and operators/pilots.

Here are some things we are working on this year:
- Fleet asset tracking
- Logistical planning/scheduling tooling
- Remote sensing data analysis and automation
- Unmanned aircraft design, construction, integration, and maintenance
- Multi-agent planning
- Onboard sensors and software
- Distributed log collection and centralization

You do not need direct experience in robotics or drones to work on this. Doesn't hurt of course. My preference is to have at least one of the hardware and software engineers, respectively, be more senior-level.

Why it's a great place to work: If you believe, accurately, that climate change is the problem all other problems answer to - everything else you try to do is going be harder because of it - then you get to do something about it. Land use changes and ecological restoration can have an enormous impact on mitigation efforts to limit warming.

We have real values and we hire for them - things like alignment to the mission, empathy, and grit. It's a high trust environment with an enormous number of interesting problems to tackle - no one else is really doing what we do in the US. Initiative and user compassion are rewarded; our operators/pilots do enormously tough work in difficult terrain far from civilization. We can't give them tools that break.

We are reasonably well funded so we can pay Seattle market wages, but it is a startup so there is a risk factor not found in larger more established companies. We don't have a vacation policy set in stone but I will start annoying you if you take less than two weeks off. We have medical/dental/vision insurance. There are rare moments of crunch when folks out in the field have problems but we generally keep to fairly normal core time in PST (09:30-1600).

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Is there a dedicated programming thread? I'm in a really poo poo situation at work. I've been doing Quality Automation with selenium using java ~2yr. In addition API testing with Postman, performance testing and a ton more. I've been at my company for 10 years working my way up from tier 1 support. That all being said they've decided to dissolve our Quality teams and are giving us 3 months to become SE1. I'd appreciate any suggestion on obtaining that skill set that'd let me make this transition and I'm studying my rear end off trying to do so. I saw the working in IT but that seems like devops/help desk more so. Any suggestions for my transition or programming thread?

Nvm found the Cavern of COBOL.

sterster fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 1, 2019

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Heyo, so we just had someone from this very thread start with us today, quite exciting! We do however need a few more people, but for a different team. Here's the posting from our site:

quote:

Application Specialist
New York
COMPANY_NAME is the world leader in digital news publishing solutions.
We cover the entire lifecycle of content, from authoring, ingestion, design, to sharing, publishing, delivery with open technologies and modern frameworks.
To keep our position as market leaders we must constantly explore, evaluate and deploy new technologies. But more important we need passionate, creative and ambitious people in our team.
Here’s how you could be involved: for our New York office we’re now looking for a motivated and talented Application Specialist to help us to bring forward the development of new and innovative solutions.

About the team
Are you willing to work in a stimulating and high-energy environment?
In COMPANY_NAME you will be surrounded and supported by other brilliant people who, like you, are passionate about technology and the result it can deliver.
You will join the Professional Services team, dedicated to working on projects for local and international. You will have the opportunity to travel, working alongside big names in global publishing or world’s leading financial institutions.

What you will do/learn
We’re sure you can’t wait to learn new technologies and platforms! As an Application Specialist you would be working in the ‘front line’ with our customers.
You could be involved at any stage of a project, analyzing the requirements, designing the solution, configuring, installing and testing our software modules.

You are
Proactive and self-motivated – you can work independently but you perform well in a team as well.
A good problem solver and communicator – you have excellent communication skills, both written and spoken.
You are keen to learn, grow and master new skills and resources.

On your first day, we expect you to have
Computer Engineering degree, or equivalent
Good coding skills (Java on a UNIX or Linux platform)
Good web coding skills (html, js, css, xml, xslt)
Availability to travel for short and long periods
Good English communication skills
It’s great (but not necessary) if you also have
Proficiency in other foreign languages

And the thread details:

Who we are: A vendor that produces a multi-channel content generation tool for publishing companies, like newspapers, research banks, and book publishers. Sort of like a huge platform that combines functions like Office, Wordpress, Sharepoint, etc.

Available Jobs: Application Specialist/Software support

Where we are: NYC, Wall Street

Job Locations: NYC office, although we have an office in Milan Italy, and a need for someone who lives/works in NYC but can travel a little

Experience: junior to mid, this is a really good starting job for someone that wants to start getting experience

Email or PM me and I'll get you an interview really quickly.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

No remote, right? Otherwise I would apply. But FUUUUUCK living in NYC.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

That's right up my alley and if you can do remote, I'll apply in a heartbeat.

And of course depending on the salary/benefits, I'd totally consider NYC...

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
If you live near DC maaaaaybe but it's mainly for a position in NYC. I don't think it's high enough salary or position to move to NYC for.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hello! I work at a well-funded, customer-having 50-person company that builds business tools with AI. We're hiring a lot of people over the next year, and I thought I'd spread the word here.

The division I run is looking for:

Software developers: systems/platform (logic around our AI core, data processing, etc.) , front-end (web interfaces), infrastructure (provisioning, monitoring, security, etc)

Software managers: this shouldn't be your first management position. Can also hybridize with IC/coding work in the right circumstances.

Product managers: market analysis, running scrums, designing and communicating product processes, coordination of roadmaps with client teams and sales

UX designers and researchers: we are building interfaces for our tools, and researching how UX affects things like trust, and helps non-expert people understand biases, probabilistic outcomes, and other less-common aspects of our system

Machine learning scientists (relevant masters strongly preferred, but I'd let you make a case if you got relevant experience through another path): research and productization of different AI techniques. We expect to publish ~5 papers this year from a team of 10 people. You should know the math but also how to code it up.

Other than as indicated for the MLS position, I don't care if you have a degree or not, and I don't care if you know the technology we use (python, scala, JS, React, scikit, some Rust likely). We're hiring at various levels of seniority in the different positions. For intermediate and senior people we will relo, and we handle visas. We're located in Toronto. No remote work, sorry.

I'm 25 years into my software career and have led products with literal billions of users. This is the most supportive and collaborative culture I've ever experienced, and I'm excited to bring more people into it and help them grow while they help us be more like the company we aspire to be.

Hit me with a PM if you want to know more.

e: machine learning, not machine language. don't worry, I don't do the research.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 10, 2019

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
My experience: 1 year as API/Webservices quality engineering testing
My experience: 3.5 year as Quality Automation in Java, Selenium automation
What I'm looking for: A job that has growth into software engineering or further growth in higher quality automation.
What I'm NOT looking for: Entry level help desk, junior se roles
Where I live:Mesa Az
Where I'm looking: Phx Az, tempe, gilbert, mesa, queen creek Considering postions in Ormand Beach, Daytona Fl.
When I can start: Feb 23rd
Requirements: Health, 401, bonus/options/RTS?(actual stock bonus)
Can be reached via: PM, [email="sterlingg at the gmail dot com"][/email]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Hi, I work at a hydroponic farming startup. The goal is to produce high quality, affordable, nutritious produce indoors at scale.

We're out of the hatchling phase and into the hiring / expansion / production phases of the startup lifecycle. The main office is located in South San Francisco with all the traffic, expenses, and perks that entails. Currently we're hiring a System Administrator, Data Design Engineer, and Reliability and Security Design Engineer. We're very well funded, but definitely in the make-it-or-break years with the stress and employee dynamics that implies. I know for a fact that we pay relocation costs and account for cost of living in the salary offers. If you're interested, shoot me a PM.