Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

quote:

Hi everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to apologize for the technical difficulties during our NYC live show tonight. Our team worked as hard as they possibly could to try to resolve all of the issues as quickly as possible, but to put it simply, we did not put our best foot forward. I'd like to thank everyone for your patience, kind words of support, and feedback.

Now that the show is over, the CR production team is analyzing the VOD and we'll do our best to see what we can do to alleviate the issues in the stream tonight. We'll keep everyone posted as best we can.

As always, we'll keep an eye on this thread for your comments and we appreciate all of you taking the time to let us know what you think.

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Hearing CR as a sitcom with a laughtrack was real bad. Do any of you laugh this much when you are watching it? Every line got a :joy::joy::joy:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I appreciated the laughter, because that meant the sound was working and I could hear what they were saying.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah it seemed like it was issues with the venue there, that really sucks. You'd think a major theater like that would have its poo poo together, maybe do a test stream or audio testing before the show.

Seems like a safe bet they'll go with a different venue if they do another NY live show and be able to avoid this stuff happening again. Hopefully they can clean up the audio somehow, but that seems like it'd take some real tech wizardry.

In any case definitely the worst live show overall with all those audio issues, even if the audio had been crystal clear I think it'd probably rank at around the 3rd best live show, just not as much dynamic stuff as some of the others I recall.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Checked in on the rebroadcast that just started and the sound is perfectly fine, so maybe the VOD will be okay after all?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DarklyDreaming posted:

Can I uh... Put my face in the water?

travis letting his accent slip for a single word right on waking up was a very good

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Keru posted:

Checked in on the rebroadcast that just started and the sound is perfectly fine, so maybe the VOD will be okay after all?

It starts out OK but craps out at around the 1 hour mark. Then it's on and off for the rest.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Hulk Smash! posted:

It starts out OK but craps out at around the 1 hour mark. Then it's on and off for the rest.

It wasn't like that for me yesterday during the live broadcast, that was hosed from the start for me. I've seen people say the same, for some the first broadcast was perfectly fine, some had the audio cutting out constantly, so who knows.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I finished season 1. Tary has the best ending :allears:
Also Grog's ending was classic Grog.
Poor Keyleth. Her ending was also good. Everything was so good. Arkhan at the end of 114 was also too tier.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm subbed with the free thing from Amazon Prime, and yeah, the audio is hosed on the VOD. Gonna just wait for the YT on Monday and hope the subtitles fill me in.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

RC Cola posted:

Poor Keyleth. Her ending was also good. Everything was so good. Arkhan at the end of 114 was also too tier.

The epilogues were delightful, but I think the showdown with the Raven Queen was the best possible thing. Percy, the bullheaded motherfucker, ready to argue with a deity, and everyone at low health, low on spells, but clearly ready to throw down with death incarnate regardless. I still get some goosebumps just thinking about the final two episodes. It was all very cathartic after 100+ episodes of Critical Role.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

RC Cola posted:

Sam later posted the letter that he wrote as Tary and left unread - here is a Reddit thread that discusses it because I don't know how to link to the original tweet. Honestly, I was a little disappointed that Matt took this one away from Sam, they should have discussed handling it before the show.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Firstborn posted:

I'm subbed with the free thing from Amazon Prime, and yeah, the audio is hosed on the VOD. Gonna just wait for the YT on Monday and hope the subtitles fill me in.

The subtitles are fan-made and won't be up for a week or two after the VOD is posted, so... good luck!

Qonas
Apr 21, 2010

Malpais Legate posted:

The epilogues were delightful, but I think the showdown with the Raven Queen was the best possible thing. Percy, the bullheaded motherfucker, ready to argue with a deity, and everyone at low health, low on spells, but clearly ready to throw down with death incarnate regardless. I still get some goosebumps just thinking about the final two episodes. It was all very cathartic after 100+ episodes of Critical Role.

That is so perfectly Percy and why he's my favorite character from Campaign 1, along with Scanlan "Everyone Else Prepared to Stop One God, I Prepared to Stop Two" Shorthalt.

The epilogues were spot on and I love that even to this day, people are asking Laura/Taliesin about the kids. And of course Matt couldn't have painted a more bittersweet end than that last bit with Keyleth.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I'm about to post both campaign 1 & 2 spoilers so uh, click at own risk. In other news, I was rolling laughter at the "do you have wet dreams?" question last night. I unfortunately didn't get much farther into the the episode but boy howdy Marisha was on her A-game with the jokes.

There's this short comic posted after Molly's death that really tugs at the heartstrings, I think Matt retweeted it. I like the idea of Vax as a psychopomp in Exandria now, black wings spiriting away the dead.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Overall technical issues not withstanding, that was a great episode.

"Question: I'm still watching the captain..."

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN 'STILL'?"

That exchange and all the innuendo with the captain had me grinning like an idiot.

poo poo kind of got real when "Didn't Molly have a tattoo like that?" Matt had said that Molly's story isn't over in a previous interview, it's kind of interesting how it's coming back around.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Teddybear posted:

The subtitles are fan-made and won't be up for a week or two after the VOD is posted, so... good luck!

I -------- w - ------ bzzzz ------ a wee -------
*Kevin MacLeod royalty free music plays*
*applause*

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
NYCC highlight: CritGemHero asks a question and accidentally begins The Roast of Travis Willingham https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IquUTkjsJnA&t=2214s

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm on campaign 2 episode 2. So far I like the whole group's new characters

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I really want Taliesin's shirt in the Q&A

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Raged posted:

Sam's would sell pretty well, I bet

The Clowning
Jan 10, 2007
I'm certainly not gonna sign for any more packages with the word "Congo" written in blood.

Raged posted:

Hopefully it will come up on critrolecloset!

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Kraps posted:

NYCC highlight: CritGemHero asks a question and accidentally begins The Roast of Travis Willingham https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IquUTkjsJnA&t=2214s

Can't believe Travis was killed mid Q&A.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Haven't checked but the episode should now be uploaded with lovely audio intact but now subtitled. And let us never speak of this again.

I had a fit at the people complaining about toxicity over complaining of the audio, it was a real issue and a real complaint not everything is toxic. I know they're protective because of, most commonly, anti-Marisha feelings (Beau rules) but come the gently caress on.

Qonas
Apr 21, 2010
Beau is absolutely awful to the point of ruining the show, complaints about her have nothing do with Marisha, and they're absolutely aggressive against anything that might possibly be negative. But how they could defend the audio from the stream, not a clue.

I was at the live show so I didn't hear the actual broadcast. I pulled up the Alpha VOD yesterday to give it a shot and it's ok until Fjord asks Yasha how she feels after Caleb checks to see if the Mystake is still afloat. After that, the cut outs and zero volume drops start overpowering everything. It absolutely seems like a venue problem, and there was even someone who posted on the Critrole.com article about the VOD that the venue had no special disability access or seats. Yikes.

Qonas fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 9, 2018

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I’m a fan of Beau and her particular way of dealing with insanity. I just really don't like the weird sexual harassment she lays on Yasha.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lucas Archer posted:

I�m a fan of Beau and her particular way of dealing with insanity. I just really don't like the weird sexual harassment she lays on Yasha.

With how close friends everyone is (and Yasha's partial reciprocation), I'm pretty sure it's all pre-approved by Ashley and Marisha isn't doing anything that Ashley is uncomfortable with.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

chitoryu12 posted:

With how close friends everyone is (and Yasha's partial reciprocation), I'm pretty sure it's all pre-approved by Ashley and Marisha isn't doing anything that Ashley is uncomfortable with.

Maybe so. I still get an icky feeling when it happens.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lucas Archer posted:

Maybe so. I still get an icky feeling when it happens.

Well I hope you don't mind Jester calling Fjord "Oskar".

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Yeah, if anything, Fjord has even more reasons than Yasha to call HR.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Double post how

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Willing to bet that on Marisha's character sheet for Beau, there is just one word under flaws: Toxic

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Vox Machina episode 41 as Grog tears through some looters with double crits and extra attacks, Ashley says: "Oh man I'm coming back as a barbarian if I die." Hopefully Yasha gets her moment like that.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I honestly get the impression Yasha is too oblivious to even notice Beau is flirting with her. Fjord definitely notices Jester doing it though and is blatantly weirded out by it. Scanlan was also a serial sexual harasser so lets not act like this is a purely Beauregard thing.

Qonas
Apr 21, 2010
Sure but can you name the time Scanlan just out-and-out groped Pike or slapped her rear end, like Beau has done with Yasha? Ashley's permission or not, that's some not cool poo poo right there.

And that's to say nothing of her hyper-aggressive hypocritical bullying of Caleb - which again, Liam is apparently fine with but that doesn't make it ok for the character of Beau to be doing.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I'm sorry, did you even watch the first campaign? Because Scanlan was so bad at the beginning that many viewers hated him and Sam reeled back on his behavior real fast. And even after reeling back on it, he talked about his dick constantly, he noted in the Magnificent Mansion that he could spy on other people's rooms, and in fact specifically said that he had a secret passage into Pike's room that she didn't know about.

Also what loving bullying of Caleb? You mean calling him on his poo poo when he's saying crap like "Nah it's totally fine that we stole this ship and killed a bunch of dudes. I'm not losing any sleep over it." They made a deal to call each other on their poo poo and Beau's doing exactly that.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I was super icked out by Scanlan doing that as well - him attempting to look down Kima's shirt is a good example of something I really didn't like. He mellowed out a lot as C1 continued on. I'm still a fan of Sam and Marisha, or I wouldn't be watching. I'm just not a fan of casual sexual harassment played for laughs.

Edit: Ha, kind of beaten on my first point. While I disliked Beau's treatment of Caleb in the earlier episodes, the later ones have really made me like her as a growing character.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Lucas Archer posted:

I was super icked out by Scanlan doing that as well - him attempting to look down Kima's shirt is a good example of something I really didn't like. He mellowed out a lot as C1 continued on. I'm still a fan of Sam and Marisha, or I wouldn't be watching. I'm just not a fan of casual sexual harassment played for laughs.

Edit: Ha, kind of beaten on my first point. While I disliked Beau's treatment of Caleb in the earlier episodes, the later ones have really made me like her as a growing character.

That honestly completely reasonable. I hated Scanlan doing it too and I'm mad uncomfortable with Jester's behavior towards Fjord, even though I know half the humor is that it's Laura flirting with her real life husband. I didn't like the rear end slap at all but most of Beau's talk at Yasha is just flirting that might as well be directed at a brick wall for all that Yasha's reacted to it. I just objected to the idea that Beau was the only one guilty of it and thus the only one to blame.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

CuwiKhons posted:

I'm sorry, did you even watch the first campaign? Because Scanlan was so bad at the beginning that many viewers hated him and Sam reeled back on his behavior real fast.

Scanlan's behavior was creepy but I don't think there was ever a time where he was hated as much as you say. I don't think he dialed anything back or changed his harassing until he came back in Episode 101.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

In It For The Tank posted:

Scanlan's behavior was creepy but I don't think there was ever a time where he was hated as much as you say. I don't think he dialed anything back or changed his harassing until he came back in Episode 101.

He wasn't hated at all on Twitch and Reddit but I've seen a lot of women on Twitter and Tumblr say they hated it and almost stopped watching CR because of it in the first arc. You're right though that I don't think Sam was ever aware of it. But he did get a lot better after the Underdark arc and I think he realized "Hey, we're being streamed now and maybe this isn't as universally funny as it was when it's just my friends in the privacy of Laura and Travis' house."