Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

They say not to get tattoos of still-living people; a corollary to that is "maybe don't write reverent dialogue about living people"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I watched that dumb Star Trek when it aired and it was dumb and dated then.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't civilization collapse before humans figure out warp drives and the Vulcans reach down and lift Earth out of its galactic shithole status?

Maybe in Stardate 2200 Musk is more infamous than famous.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Doesn't civilization collapse before humans figure out warp drives and the Vulcans reach down and lift Earth out of its galactic shithole status?

Maybe in Stardate 2200 Musk is more infamous than famous.

Yup. Cochran was living in a sparsely populated hell world after an apocalyptic war with like 8 people in his community.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yup. Cochran was living in a sparsely populated hell world after an apocalyptic war with like 8 people in his community.

Yeah, Montana

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

Yeah, Montana

I mean there's at least 32 there right now.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Sir Lemming posted:

Stealing this from the Star Trek thread:

No idea at all if this is true, but I heard the actor ad libbed that line in the hopes of getting a free tesla out of it

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There is also a sketch in Africa with at least one Python in blackface.

BBC had a series that ran for 20 years (1958-1978) called "The Black and White Minstrel Show".

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Fisher Stevens blacked up in a hollywood movie in 1988.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Who the gently caress is Fisher Stevens?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What the gently caress is Google?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

What's a Nubian?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Peeny Cheez posted:

What's a Nubian?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

That's a Nerubian.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Where in the world is carmen sandiego?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Whatever happened to Robot Jones?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

What is the deal with airline food?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Why does my left arm feel numb?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Where have all the good men gone?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Peeny Cheez posted:

What's a Nubian?

No lie, when I played a mid-game mission in MGSV, there was a quest objective to extract six Nubians. I was nonplussed; you spend most of the game extracting people but then they bust out that word with no other descriptor, so I'm asking, "Wait..."

Turns out they meant the goats.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 20:54 on Oct 9, 2018

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Peeny Cheez posted:

What's a Nubian?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toshimo posted:

Whatever happened to Robot Jones?

I remember that one. When it debuted on Boomerang, I thought it was supposed to be an old show from the 90s they'd unearthed and were now broadcasting as a novelty.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember that one. When it debuted on Boomerang, I thought it was supposed to be an old show from the 90s they'd unearthed and were now broadcasting as a novelty.

It looks very distinctively Canadian 80s, like that short about the cat that came back the very next day (which I know was Nickelodeon but) or The Raccoons.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Sweevo posted:

I have not watched Short Circuit in 30 years, but I had no idea he wasn't Indian when I saw it. Note, I did not know any Indians in 1988.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Who the gently caress is Fisher Stevens?

That's Mr. Michelle Pfeiffer to you.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Mr. Michelle Pfeiffer?

Props to him for that, anyway.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How about when Ted Danson went out in blackface and made loads of racist jokes at Whoopi Goldberg's roast because he was going out with her at the time and she told him it would fine?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wheat Loaf posted:

How about when Ted Danson went out in blackface and made loads of racist jokes at Whoopi Goldberg's roast because he was going out with her at the time and she told him it would fine?

This guy is married to Ember Moon, a black woman.

He pulled that shirt from his merchandise soon after and it was meant to get him hated as he was a heel, though.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
One of the funniest Kids in the Hall sketches has blackface in it and it definitely puts a big damper on the whole thing.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

This guy is married to Ember Moon, a black woman.

He pulled that shirt from his merchandise soon after and it was meant to get him hated as he was a heel, though.

Ember Moon is a treasure.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Koalas Massacre posted:

Ember Moon is a treasure.

Agreed and I would like to see her and Asuka kill each other forever.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BOOSness Hammocks posted:

It looks very distinctively Canadian 80s, like that short about the cat that came back the very next day (which I know was Nickelodeon but) or The Raccoons.

What? The Cat Came Back is a Canadian animation short originally produced for the Canadian National Film Board. It is a genuine national treasure.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's another cartoon I remember which looked very similar to the Cat Came Back which was on of the Cartoon Cartoon/What a Cartoon segments along with the pilots for stuff like Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab and Cow & Chicken, where a guy is trying to cook for his date and messes it up, but they discover that his hideous concoction is actually delicious and get so carried away they at their dinner table.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Arivia posted:

What? The Cat Came Back is a Canadian animation short originally produced for the Canadian National Film Board. It is a genuine national treasure.

Sorry—I should specify that I am American and in the states we mostly know that cartoon from frequent airings as an interstitial on 80s Nickelodeon, although I did always know it was a Canadian production.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

Sweevo posted:

https://youtu.be/CVtsvIpJFTw

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

No, that's a Naboobian. She flew on a Nubian.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Third Base!

Also, who can forget the 80's classic "Soul Man"?

Davros1 has a new favorite as of 01:14 on Oct 10, 2018

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not a tv show but fallout new Vegas is probably my favorite fallout game ever but I’ve been watching some videos about the lore in it in YouTube and man is that game heavy on rape and implied rape scenarios in its side story telling. Like yeah that would probably be a part of a post apocalyptic wasteland but new Vegas has a really goofy tone a lot of the time that clashes hardcore with probably the darkest stuff in the series. Sometimes it works, but the tape stuff really doesn’t. Victims of rape are poorly voice acted and come off like it wasn’t that big a deal and it’s just kind of uncomfortable looking back on it. Just another example of “don’t include rape in your story unless you know what the gently caress you’re doing, let alone include it in multiple plot points”

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's another cartoon I remember which looked very similar to the Cat Came Back which was on of the Cartoon Cartoon/What a Cartoon segments along with the pilots for stuff like Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab and Cow & Chicken, where a guy is trying to cook for his date and messes it up, but they discover that his hideous concoction is actually delicious and get so carried away they at their dinner table.
You're probably thinking of the What A Cartoon short "The Kitchen Casanova". Dang was there some good grossout tv on there back in the day. Good stuff.
Except "Tales of Worm Paranoia". I'm retching just thinking about it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

StrangersInTheNight posted:

one of the showrunners didn't lose sympathy for walt until later on and describes the show as "a natural progression down this road to hell, which was originally paved with good intentions."

http://www.vulture.com/2013/05/vince-gilligan-on-breaking-bad.html

they crafted him with the specific intent to seem sympathetic at the beginning, but they're still dudebros and it was still 2008 and it shows

he acknowledges that they know walt's a selfish liar at the end of all of it but yeah, they were really just a bunch of guys trying to come up with the most hamfisted ways to push this 'bad guy' transition

EDIT:

THIS I very much agree with. But I think if even the writers themselves didn't realize they were actually writing a lovely dude right from the beginning, then you're going to have just as many viewers not realize it.

Nah I don’t buy that at all. The writers knew exactly who they were writing. Walt seems like a nice sympathetic guy at the start but his bullshit is evident from the very start of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I have not watched Short Circuit in 30 years, but I had no idea he wasn't Indian when I saw it. Note, I did not know any Indians in 1988.

Funny but true: an Indian friend of mine had no idea he *wasn't* Indian until I explained. To be fair he only saw Short Circuit 2 and Ben was less comic relief and stereotypical in that one.