Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Asus has a variable speed voltage regulator, at higher speeds it makes more heat and rises to lower voltages, but it does let you use lower voltages at mid range speeds. Good motherboards will just have fast voltage regulators, cheap ones will have slow ones.

The scale doesn't really matter, .7 to 1.4 is no big deal for a modern motherboard. You only needed to disable power saving for stability on 775 motherboards and earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I work with engineering type things, but im not an engineer and the things i use may be over simplified and I may be mucking things up here.

An example is I work around electronics on cars. If I calibrated a throttle position sensor I could end up with the following results:

.500 volts = 0 percent throttle. (this would be my offset).
4.500 volts = 100 percent throttle. (this would be my scale).

If I changed 0 percent throttle offset to 1.0 volt instead of .500 volts, it would not affect my scale for this example. It could in other situations.

So I guess I had a misunderstanding. In order to correct myself with overclocking the offset does in fact change entire graph, and therefore the upper set voltage, right?

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 27, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Offset just means a static adjustment of +/- "x" volts from whatever the bios would otherwise be giving the CPU at that time. It's a static adjustment throughout the range.

If you had a graph with volts on the y axis and clock speed on the x axis, increasing or decreasing the offset would simply move a copy of the existing line straight up (+ offset) or down (- offset).

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 27, 2018

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Okay. I guess i shouldn't over think this poo poo. hah.

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
Managed to get an 8086k for $10 more than an 8700k so went for it, is it something I should delid (and does debauer tool even work for it?) or did intel suddenly start using decent paste for it?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hold The Ashes posted:

Managed to get an 8086k for $10 more than an 8700k so went for it, is it something I should delid (and does debauer tool even work for it?) or did intel suddenly start using decent paste for it?

It's physically identical and same TIM as the 8700k afaik (ie. benefits from delid)

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'd say get a nice cooler and nice setup and just see what you get without de-lidding. You can always pull the plate later on.

Or sell it? How's it doing on ebay these days?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Hold The Ashes posted:

I can't recommend these guys enough: https://siliconlottery.com/collections/sl/products/delid

They'll delid it for you, put in liquid metal TIM, and then reseal it with black silicone so it looks factory stock all for $45. Super fast turnaround too.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
If anyone has awareness of the Asus 'Advanced UEFI' BIOS, let me know. I have an Asus P8Z77-M motherboard with a i5 3570K that I'm trying to overclock to 4.0GHz. Right now I have only stock cooling, but I would like to see if I can push it to 3.8GHz with stock cooling and if it stays stable. However, despite poking around I cannot find where I can change the voltage multiplier anywhere. All I seem to have an option for is automatic settings where the mobo makes the decision for me, but when I select that it doesn't appear to do anything according to Real Temp and CPU Z.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

uncle w benefits posted:

If anyone has awareness of the Asus 'Advanced UEFI' BIOS, let me know. I have an Asus P8Z77-M motherboard with a i5 3570K that I'm trying to overclock to 4.0GHz. Right now I have only stock cooling, but I would like to see if I can push it to 3.8GHz with stock cooling and if it stays stable. However, despite poking around I cannot find where I can change the voltage multiplier anywhere. All I seem to have an option for is automatic settings where the mobo makes the decision for me, but when I select that it doesn't appear to do anything according to Real Temp and CPU Z.

You don't change a voltage multiplier, you change the CPU clock multiplier and set the voltage either specifically (manual voltage), as an amount to be added or subtracted from the stock voltage (offset), or let the mobo sort it out (adaptive, not recommend).

What temps are you at right now under load? Stock coolers are really terrible.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Stock cooler gets me anywhere from 49 to 63* C idle, and upwards of 74* on all four cores when playin' games. I'm told this is pretty bad. I chalk this up to my lovely micro ATX form factor case and MOBO, and horrible ventilation set up.

At this point I'm about to just back up from computers for a while. I was considering purchasing an ATX full tower case, ATX motherboard, and sufficient fans to cool things down, but for six year old LGA 1155 stuff. How silly is that? Rather than just start over from scratch on a proper Ryzen or Intel machine, I was going to try and unfuck what I did with this current i5 set up. My i5 @ 3.4GHz is just as good as the latest Ryzen 7 at 3.4GHz, but my i5 is six years old, at least that's how I interpret it.

I'm really at a loss :(

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 3, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

uncle w benefits posted:

Stock cooler gets me anywhere from 49 to 63* C idle, and upwards of 74* on all four cores when playin' games. I'm told this is pretty bad. I chalk this up to my lovely micro ATX form factor case and MOBO, and horrible ventilation set up.

At this point I'm about to just back up from computers for a while. I was considering purchasing an ATX full tower case, ATX motherboard, and sufficient fans to cool things down, but for six year old LGA 1155 stuff. How silly is that? Rather than just start over from scratch on a proper Ryzen or Intel machine, I was going to try and unfuck what I did with this current i5 set up. My i5 @ 3.4GHz is just as good as the latest Ryzen 7 at 3.4GHz, but my i5 is six years old, at least that's how I interpret it.

I'm really at a loss :(

The biggest problem is the stock cooler not the size of your case or how well it's ventilated, though that does play a small role.

mewse
May 2, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

The biggest problem is the stock cooler not the size of your case or how well it's ventilated, though that does play a small role.

Yeah, stock cooler sucks. You could go aftermarket cooler + delid if you really want to get temps down.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The stock cooler is perfect for stock speeds, but you need to spend 30 dollars (or more if you want something quieter) on a 212 if you want to overclock. The stock cooler gets overwhelmed at even +100MHz, it's kind of neat how perfectly they made it.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
In either case I can't find where to OC the CPU clock multiplier in my strange Asus BIOS.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Increase the per core turbo multiplier. Google Search for your motherboard version and those words.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

uncle w benefits posted:

In either case I can't find where to OC the CPU clock multiplier in my strange Asus BIOS.

What motherboard do you have? I remember doing a build for someone and I went to overclock it and the mobo they picked didn't support adjustment of the clock speed.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I have the P8Z68-V LX, which is basically the cheap ATX previous-gen version of that board, and from what I recall all I did to get my 2500K to 4.4GHz was set the all-core multiplier to 44x and the voltage offset to something like +0.11V (1.38V absolute).

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

VelociBacon posted:

What motherboard do you have? I remember doing a build for someone and I went to overclock it and the mobo they picked didn't support adjustment of the clock speed.

I have the Asus P8Z77-M and a 3570K.

Is deliding something I need to look into? I absolutely don't want to pry the lid off a CPU. Also, if I'm just OC'ing my CPU, do I need to mess with RAM stuff at all?

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 5, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

uncle w benefits posted:

I have the Asus P8Z77-M and a 3570K.

Is deliding something I need to look into? I absolutely don't want to pry the lid off a CPU. Also, if I'm just OC'ing my CPU, do I need to mess with RAM stuff at all?

No you're jumping like way way ahead, you still aren't even able to overclock your CPU let alone being at the point where you're thermally limited by the TIM.

Here's a thread I googled where someone with the same mobo as you is trying to figure out how to OC. It's probably worth reading through.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
LoL that thread was full of failure and a lot of "I tried but..."

This seems exactly like my BIOS and what looks like will probably work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20rCMNzkwJo&t=361s

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Can anyone else with an AIO or custom loop liquid CPU cooler please let me know how the CPU temps behave relative to the liquid temps? The H115i Pro I put on my CPU, the liquid temps never get above 35C (280mm rad), the CPU temps under load will go immediately up to around 67C and stay there, dropping very quickly once load is removed. With a hyper 212EVO I was getting CPU temps around 77C so I've only dropped about 10C by switching to the AIO. I have an AIO on my GPU and the temps rise very slowly and don't spike so I was kinda hoping it would behave like that.

I'm not sure if the actual GPU temp is doing this immediate jump as well and only reporting the liquid temperature from the card as the actual GPU temp? I wonder if I need to reapply CPU paste because I just left the corsair stuff that came with it on there.

i7 4790k, room temp is around 22C. Thanks.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
That's normal, it's fine. You were cooking your CPU before, now it is at safe temperatures.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

VelociBacon posted:

Can anyone else with an AIO or custom loop liquid CPU cooler please let me know how the CPU temps behave relative to the liquid temps? The H115i Pro I put on my CPU, the liquid temps never get above 35C (280mm rad), the CPU temps under load will go immediately up to around 67C and stay there, dropping very quickly once load is removed. With a hyper 212EVO I was getting CPU temps around 77C so I've only dropped about 10C by switching to the AIO. I have an AIO on my GPU and the temps rise very slowly and don't spike so I was kinda hoping it would behave like that.

I'm not sure if the actual GPU temp is doing this immediate jump as well and only reporting the liquid temperature from the card as the actual GPU temp? I wonder if I need to reapply CPU paste because I just left the corsair stuff that came with it on there.

i7 4790k, room temp is around 22C. Thanks.

I have a custom loop on a 4790K and before I delidded I had temps similar to yours - even worse on the CPU because I was overvolting it. After delidding, I’m down to about 60 degrees on the CPU with the water running about 39 degrees at +.05 voltage offset.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

JnnyThndrs posted:

I have a custom loop on a 4790K and before I delidded I had temps similar to yours - even worse on the CPU because I was overvolting it. After delidding, I’m down to about 60 degrees on the CPU with the water running about 39 degrees at +.05 voltage offset.

Yeah I'm running 1.245v @4.6GHz so I'm also overvolting a little. Thanks.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I lost the silicon lottery with this crappy chip; it won’t run @4.6 all-core without a shitload of extra voltage, so I just leave it at 4.4 all-core.

I’m very much ready to replace the CPU/mobo/memory, but the siren song of 8 cores on a ringbus has me waiting for the new Intel non-HEDT chips.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I had a successful oc of my 6700k @ 4.5 ghz using easytune but the win 10 oct update broke everything.

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
I'm curious to know what opinions there are for using a Noctua cooler with a single tower would be for a 9700-9900k. Since they're going to be soldered and I'll only be OC'ing to probably 5ghz at most, do you think I could get away with using a smaller cooler? I've exclusively used their DH14 and 15's for the past decade so I have no idea what a smaller one would do, I'm just tired of half my motherboard being taken up by the behemoths.

Specifically I'm thinking of a NH-U14S, could even do push/pull with it and it would still end up way smaller than a DH15.

Hold The Ashes fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 6, 2018

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
From other people the performance is similar but the noise is louder.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Hold The Ashes posted:

Specifically I'm thinking of a NH-U14S, could even do push/pull with it and it would still end up way smaller than a DH15.
I wouldn't call it "way smaller" since it's still got the same height and width as the D15 though and doesn't have the benefit of the D15S's offset for extra PCIe slot clearance.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Hold The Ashes posted:

I'm curious to know what opinions there are for using a Noctua cooler with a single tower would be for a 9700-9900k. Since they're going to be soldered and I'll only be OC'ing to probably 5ghz at most, do you think I could get away with using a smaller cooler? I've exclusively used their DH14 and 15's for the past decade so I have no idea what a smaller one would do, I'm just tired of half my motherboard being taken up by the behemoths.

Soldering be damned, we're talking more cores than Intel's ever before put on their mainstream platform. It's going to get hot at those clock speeds.
Why would you want to downgrade your cooler? The NH-D15S is the one to get, it doesn't get in the way of your first PCIe slot.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

JnnyThndrs posted:

I lost the silicon lottery with this crappy chip; it won’t run @4.6 all-core without a shitload of extra voltage, so I just leave it at 4.4 all-core.

I’m very much ready to replace the CPU/mobo/memory, but the siren song of 8 cores on a ringbus has me waiting for the new Intel non-HEDT chips.

Have you played around at all with LLC? You might just need a little bump there for stability.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

Have you played around at all with LLC? You might just need a little bump there for stability.

Yeah, I played with the settings(including LLC) for a month, tried a couple of different guides for this mobo (Asus z97-a 3.1) and it needed almost 1.4v to be half-assed stable@4.6 no matter what I did. I even chucked the chip in a different mobo that I was building for a friend with almost exactly the same results, so I threw in the towel.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

uncle w benefits posted:

Depending on your motherboard and your chip you may be able to get away with ignoring all the bios stuff and cranking the multiplier in Intels overclocking utility.

My motherboard is a goddamn mess of menus and keyboard compatibility, so I went the software route myself on a 3570k. I get 4.2GHz at 1.15v and 64 degrees under load with a hyper 212; it runs on startup unless something weird happens and I have a crash.

You'll need to replace that cooler though. Check Craigslist, everyone selling hardware our age has some sort of tower cooler to sell cheap.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I was able to figure it out thanks to that video I posted a few posts up. Got the 212Evo in too, with way too much difficulty. More so than I'd like to admit.

Tell me about fixies.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, the 212 is notoriously the most annoying heatsink to install, but you only need to do it once.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Until I use it on my future chip/mobo :(

I might just buy another one to avoid the asspain of pulling it off.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Fixies are for garbage trash jerk bags who hate technology even if it drastically improves the bike.

When I got my hyper 212 in a shoe box, it was caked in dust and assembled improperly. It took over an hour of cleaning it to get it usable again, and I incorrectly assumed the way it was put together was correct.

Total cost just to fit a relatively small tower cooler: almost two goddamn hours, a pint of blood from the fins, and a pint of whisky as rage repellant

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

3dmark is on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Is the 212 still the gold standard air cooler for non-extreme overclocking?