Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's really really really good and I don't consider it to have a bad episode. That being said I don't think it's got the satirical edge that made good simpsons so good. And unlike the other guy who said that modern simpsons is mean (he's right), it's pretty clear that the writers and creators really love their characters and it shows.

I love Bob's Burgers. You're right that it doesn't have any bad episodes but I prefer it when they avoid plots that are 'too zany' (like The Deepening) but even those ones are packed with good quips.

They clearly don't love Jimmy Pesto. No one should, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Even Jimmy Pesto stops being a jerkass and supports Bob at times and it's sweet. I wish I lived in that sort of town. I assume it's mid atlantic to coastal new england or something.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Plan Z posted:

Even modern Family Guy can have episodes that I won't immediately turn off until in the middle they get the guy with "the voice" to just do some rambling 3 minute gag out of nowhere and I'm out.

Can you give an example? I'm curious, and I still watch Family Guy on a regular basis because I'm curious to see what direction it'll go in/how much worse it'll get.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Milo and POTUS posted:

Even Jimmy Pesto stops being a jerkass and supports Bob at times and it's sweet. I wish I lived in that sort of town. I assume it's mid atlantic to coastal new england or something.

It�s New Jersey, in �It Snakes a Village� they go on a road trip and the map shows them start there.

Agreed it�s a good show, gonna watch the newest one tonight.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Nutsngum posted:

One thing you're forgetting to mention is that this scene, and many other Simpsons jokes, work despite the references themselves. Even if you havent seen Raiders its still a really well scripted and animated action scene with its own jokes like Homer hitting the garage door or yelling incomprehensibly with the rake. Its hilarious within its own absurdity so it transcends basic reference humour. Same with the aforementioned T2 and Ned's car.

Most modern Simpsons just utterly fails to actually do that itself and relies purely on reference to be the joke.. which just isnt really funny.

This is one of those "so obvious your brain noticed it even if you didn't" points that I think a lot of fans of comedy just don't ever bother to think about. Of course it has to be funny on its own merits first. But remember all of those loving "X Movies" in the early 00s? We have an entire generation of people who think that "funny" is just "here's a thing I recognize". And that's exactly the kind of garbage that the current Simpsons is churning out. It's maddening.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is one of those "so obvious your brain noticed it even if you didn't" points that I think a lot of fans of comedy just don't ever bother to think about. Of course it has to be funny on its own merits first. But remember all of those loving "X Movies" in the early 00s? We have an entire generation of people who think that "funny" is just "here's a thing I recognize". And that's exactly the kind of garbage that the current Simpsons is churning out. It's maddening.

personally I blame family guy

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

Can you give an example? I'm curious, and I still watch Family Guy on a regular basis because I'm curious to see what direction it'll go in/how much worse it'll get.

This was the one I could actually remember:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTxdPPLJGzY

Some of them can be longer, especially the Peter/Chicken gags. They're not nearly as awful as most of the jokes get. Eventually, every character turns into some kind of violent psychopath and lots of jokes depend on this weird cruel violence.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 10, 2018

The Bible
May 8, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Bob's Burgers has done a few T2s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PBq8do9l1Q

There's also the straight T2 parody where Frond tries to get Louise and dies in creamed corn.

Bob's Burgers did this and will always have my heart.

https://youtu.be/_iVRozrFohM

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Data Graham posted:

Then again, I mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKWnMN85hUg

That's like near peak Simpsons gold right there, for whatever reasons.

this is racist because Homer's incoherent babbling is meant to mock the native language

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

snack eater posted:

this is racist because Homer's incoherent babbling is meant to mock the native language

This will be dealt with at a later time.

If at all.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Tonight's Simpsons revealed the origins of Ned's Christianity and his mustache.

He once sold trampolines door-to-door. He sells one to Grandpa for a young Homer. But then another salesman tells him that the trampolines are defective, and when they hit the 500th bounce, the static electricity builds up to a lethal level. Ned sees a newspaper saying that Homer is planning on breaking 500 bounces for the Duff Book of World Records. Ned rushes there and pushes him out of the way right before the electric blast, which hits Ned. Ned is in a coma where he meets Jesus and also his lip gets disfigured, so that's why he's Christian and has a mustache.

I didn't make any of this up I swear.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

PostNouveau posted:

He once sold trampolines door-to-door. He sells one to Grandpa for a young Homer. But then another salesman tells him that the trampolines are defective, and when they hit the 500th bounce, the static electricity builds up to a lethal level. Ned sees a newspaper saying that Homer is planning on breaking 500 bounces for the Duff Book of World Records. Ned rushes there and pushes him out of the way right before the electric blast, which hits Ned. Ned is in a coma where he meets Jesus and also his lip gets disfigured, so that's why he's Christian and has a mustache.

I don't believe you

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

I don't believe you

No it's true.

It was one of three stories framed by God and St. Peter arguing about who gets into heaven. The other 2 were one about Marge's grandmother in Vichy France which I assume is some take off on some old movie and Lisa as Siddhartha.

Tracy Morgan had a one-line cameo

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 15, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Tracy Morgan in the steel mill and he's just pissed as hell

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

PostNouveau posted:

:chloe:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
why didn't Grandpa just get a free trampoline out of the classifieds

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
So he grew the moustache to hide the disfigurement?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

He shaves his moustache in an older episode, and his lip look just fine! :colbert:

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
This would have certainly come up. Bubble gum in the old pushbroom :colbert:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

one kinda funny joke at beginning but the social commentary being shouted through a megaphone sort

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
How much older than homer is ned supposed to be? I always figured they were the same ish age

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ned is a senior citizen with nearly 30 years on Homer, but he appears much younger thanks to a clean, Christian lifestyle.

This is canon.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

so much dumb poo poo i've forgotten

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I thought Ned was the way he was because he was spanked for weeks on end at the mental asylum or whatever it was.

Guys, I'm beginning to think the writers don't much care for previously-established character details.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The writers have tried nothing man, and they're all outta ideas!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Ned is a senior citizen with nearly 30 years on Homer, but he appears much younger thanks to a clean, Christian lifestyle.

This is canon.

Wasn't that pre-zombification? Not saying it makes it any better, but if it was done NOW it'd turn out that Ned was pushing 100 or something ridiculous.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Drunken Baker posted:

Wasn't that pre-zombification? Not saying it makes it any better, but if it was done NOW it'd turn out that Ned was pushing 100 or something ridiculous.

Season 10, definitely not golden age anymore but still a good episode. I liked Moe scalding himself with holy water and Homer planning to use two wives only for chopping and digging.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
how much would it cost them to just hire the writing team of a currently good sitcom, have them knock out a season of whatever they're currently working on & then reskin all the characters as their nearest simpson analogue? how can you have so little interest in what you do for a living?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I feel like IASIP is like a live, more crude and offensive version of Classic Simpsons. Several plot lines that head in crazy directions but come together in the end.

Let them write a season of Simpsons.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

FilthyImp posted:

Bob's Burgers has done a few T2s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PBq8do9l1Q

There's also the straight T2 parody where Frond tries to get Louise and dies in creamed corn.

Bob's Burgers is the closest thing to classic Simpsons on the air right now IMHO

E: I shouldn't skip pages before posting

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

PostNouveau posted:

It's like they gave all the writing slots to star wars extended universe fanfic authors

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Bob's Burgers is the closest thing to classic Simpsons on the air right now IMHO

E: I shouldn't skip pages before posting

TRUMP: We're going to keep trying to strengthen the American family. To make them more like the Simpsons and less like the Belchers

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's amazing to me that Bob's Burgers is in season 9 and the quality has pretty much never faulted, and every season ends up having a bunch of great episodes. They aren't as memorable as classic Simpsons, but very little is. It's the perfect lightweight show where you can pick almost any episode at any time and it'll probably be enjoyable.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It's amazing to me that Bob's Burgers is in season 9 and the quality has pretty much never faulted, and every season ends up having a bunch of great episodes. They aren't as memorable as classic Simpsons, but very little is. It's the perfect lightweight show where you can pick almost any episode at any time and it'll probably be enjoyable.

I've always found it to be a very dull show. It's not painful to watch, but there's nothing about it that makes me want to watch it. There's a lot of jokes where my reaction is, "Yes, that certainly was an attempt at humor."

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah, it’s a good show that sometimes veers into greatness. The characters are likeable and the stories are fun and I can expect a sensible chuckle twice per episode, but I rarely go back and rewatch any (except for the Thanksgiving episodes, the Totoro and toilet turkey episodes are top tier.)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I can’t really get into Bob’s Burgers due to finding all the voices unpleasant to listen to.:(

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SeANMcBAY posted:

I can’t really get into Bob’s Burgers due to finding all the voices unpleasant to listen to.:(

you should see a doctor about that.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Much like the best Simpsons episodes, with Bob's Burgers the gold is as much in the little throwaway lines as the major gags, and the show gets better on rewatches for me as I catch more weird little lines and character details that I missed the first time.

Plus the characters are really well defined and I like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'll admit all the shouting took some getting used to, like getting in a hot tub. But I find the actors hilarious.