Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Good coffee grinders for grinding spices?

This is an excellent spice grinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So, a burr grinder for coffee is highly recommended by most aficionados I've heard from. Why not other spices? Or, alternatively, why is a burr grinder better for coffee but not other spices?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Burr grinders are uniquely great at getting a consistent size of particle. You want this for coffee so that all of the grounds extract in the same amount of time and you don't underextract half, and overextract the other. I'm not sure how fine they can actually get since you usually don't want to grind super fine. They are more expensive than blade grinders, but when you're grinding spices you typically want them ground as finely as possible, so just blitzing them in a blade grinder is great.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Midniter posted:

This is an excellent spice grinder.

How finely does this one grind? I�d like something that can grind really fine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The Cuisinart spice grinder is good at grinding spices.

You mean this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-SG...t+spice+grinder

The reviews seem a little shaky.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 9, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

How finely does this one grind? I�d like something that can grind really fine.

You mean this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-SG...t+spice+grinder

The reviews seem a little shaky.

That's the one. Been happy with mine, but I've only owned one.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The Cuisinart spice grinder is good at grinding spices.

The Midniter posted:

This [Krups grinder] is an excellent spice grinder.

I googled some reviews and Serious Eats recommends both of these. I think I might go for the Cuisinart one unless there�s some reason I should absolutely consider a fixed-cup model.

Thanks for the recs!

EDIT: Well, maybe not. Business Insider likes this Secura grinder a little bit more than those two, apparently because it performs better and has a chop setting.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 9, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I also need a good cheap stock pot. One of those deals that has an inside pot with holes in it to make stock with. Needs to be at least 8 quarts and preferably at least 10, although Amazon doesn�t show too many options above 10 quarts.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I googled some reviews and Serious Eats recommends both of these. I think I might go for the Cuisinart one unless there�s some reason I should absolutely consider a fixed-cup model.

Thanks for the recs!

EDIT: Well, maybe not. Business Insider likes this Secura grinder a little bit more than those two, apparently because it performs better and has a chop setting.

I'd go with the cooking site review where they use these all the time across many different cooks and for long periods of time over business insider where someone freelance wrote a review article for a couple of bucks.

The Krups and Cuisinart grinders have consistently been recommended by CI for maybe a decade, if not more and Kenji was CIs editor for years.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I also need a good cheap stock pot. One of those deals that has an inside pot with holes in it to make stock with. Needs to be at least 8 quarts and preferably at least 10, although Amazon doesn�t show too many options above 10 quarts.
I got mine cheap at a restaurant supply store. Stainless with a big fat aluminum disk in the bottom. I think it’s like 13 qt and was $30 or something. I don’t have a strainer thing but I know they make them for the pot.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Scythe posted:

Since you have a Japanese knife anyway, I thought I’d mention that I got a hinoki cutting board and surprisingly love it. Still wood, but super light and very forgiving on your knives. It works sort of the opposite of other wood boards: you don’t oil it, you wet it thoroughly before each use and let it dry standing up before putting it away. Also, they’re cheap (and end grain doesn’t seem to be a Thing).

I ended up ordering one today. Thanks for the recommendation!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Is this where we ask about stand mixers? I'm sure it's been done to death here, but I may be the first person to ask about the Kenwood mixers, specifically the KMM021... It's priced slightly higher than a Kitchenaid Artisan here in Canada, and about $100 less than the Kitchenaid Pro 600 while appearing to be more powerful and smaller (it's going to live on the counter and it'd be nice not to have it take up a ton of room). It also has enough attachments available that we might use so that's not a big deal.

We just destroyed a gifted Black & Decker food processor (finally) making a pumpkin loaf, so it's time to get some more power. My wife is getting into baking so for now her requirements are fairly light, but she really wants to bake more breads.

So, does anyone have any experience with Kenwood mixers? I read lots of reviews on them by people who are buying it only to replace their 35 year old Kenwood, or their mom still has one from the 70s that works fine.

The dark horse here is the Bosch Universal which is like $100 more than the Kenwood and appears to kick rear end, but looks like a goddamned 1970s spaceship. I appreciate the whole function over form attitude though, but the look is not exactly wife-approved.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 13, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

what do you do with them? If bread don't cheap out.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

VERTiG0 posted:

Is this where we ask about stand mixers? I'm sure it's been done to death here, but I may be the first person to ask about the Kenwood mixers, specifically the KMM021... It's priced slightly higher than a Kitchenaid Artisan here in Canada, and about $100 less than the Kitchenaid Pro 600 while appearing to be more powerful and smaller (it's going to live on the counter and it'd be nice not to have it take up a ton of room). It also has enough attachments available that we might use so that's not a big deal.

We just destroyed a gifted Black & Decker food processor (finally) making a pumpkin loaf, so it's time to get some more power. My wife is getting into baking so for now her requirements are fairly light, but she really wants to bake more breads.

So, does anyone have any experience with Kenwood mixers? I read lots of reviews on them by people who are buying it only to replace their 35 year old Kenwood, or their mom still has one from the 70s that works fine.

The dark horse here is the Bosch Universal which is like $100 more than the Kenwood and appears to kick rear end, but looks like a goddamned 1970s spaceship. I appreciate the whole function over form attitude though, but the look is not exactly wife-approved.

Ankarsrum.

If you want a stand mixer for baking bread, Ankarsrum. It's the original stand mixer brand, has so much torque it can press oils from seeds, and it's ridiculously good at kneading bread. Amazing build quality too, and easier to use than a kitchenaid or other orbital. Less messy than a Bosch. I have one.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

VERTiG0 posted:

Look at the Bosch compact. I switched to it from the Bosch Universal and haven't ever regretted it. It's like half the price of the Artisan, much smaller when folded up, and more powerful. Only downside is the meat grinder attachment has been discontinued, if that's important.

You can easily buy the machine as well as parts and stuff in Canada too, which is sometimes a worry with weird brands.
http://healthykitchens.com/aos_online_store.html?details=24617&pcount=24617&ca_id=1083

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I have the Bosch and I love it.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Any recs for pizza peels? Like 14-16 inches the amazon choice one looks sorta janky (the aluminum looks like it would easily bend) Hoping to spend less than fifty but could do more.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Jay Carney posted:

Any recs for pizza peels? Like 14-16 inches the amazon choice one looks sorta janky (the aluminum looks like it would easily bend) Hoping to spend less than fifty but could do more.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009LPDNPO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works for 14" pies. Did you want metal or wood?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

probably metal, every time I've used a wood one it is a bit too thick bc i suck at pizza

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Jay Carney posted:

probably metal, every time I've used a wood one it is a bit too thick bc i suck at pizza

The Amazon's choice one looks pretty similar to the one I have and it works fine-my handle is slightly longer but that just makes it a pain in the rear end to store. I only use the metal one for removing the pizza or turning it though-I always use the wooden one for launching because it slides a lot easier.

I used to use just a metal one for everything and if you can keep the bottom dry and move it quick enough, it should be fine, but I prefer the wood much more now for launching.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The aluminum Amazon choice peel is NOT going to bend. I have one, thing is solid as hell. Wanting wood for slidability is certainly a valid concern though.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

IMO if you're only gonna get one peel, I recommend a wooden one for the same launching reasons. Removing a pizza from the oven can be done easily with tongs and a cutting board or tray, but there's not really an easy substitute for launching a raw pizza into the oven and wooden ones slide easier when floured up.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The amount of flour you have to use to be able to launch from a metal peel is a hard no for me. I tried 3 different ones and they all gave me nothing but trouble. I use a really wet dough though, so a dry one might be less of a pain.

For launching in the inside oven, I use and love: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BXYKNLC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

For the big outside oven, I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037XH3JI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The thicker wood is a problem if you are opening and building directly on a counter, and have to pull the pie up and onto the peel. If you can either build on a big cutting board and slide down onto the peel, or if you have a helper who can hold the peel at the edge of the counter, you're golden.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Thanks for the input everyone, I bought that amazons choice one and may end up buying a wooden one as well, I'll see how launching goes.

I don't even know why I make my own pizza I live in new york there are like six places I can walk to that will make a better pie than me. Tho my gf loves "pizza night" with friends (aka I make a bunch of pizzas while people drink) so hoping the peel results in fewer burns.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

super peel really is handy for the handoff

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
What’s the go-to vitamix model these days? I have a Costco membership, do they still sell refurbished machines?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

IMO get the cheapest model that has a speed dial instead of just on/off/high. I don't think costco sells refurbs but you can usually get them direct from vitamix. That's what I did.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Once in a while Costco has new Vitamixes on sale that put them in slapping distance of a refurb’s price.

Get the cheapest old style one.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Once in a while Costco has new Vitamixes on sale that put them in slapping distance of a refurb’s price.

Get the cheapest old style one.

Clark Nova posted:

IMO get the cheapest model that has a speed dial instead of just on/off/high. I don't think costco sells refurbs but you can usually get them direct from vitamix. That's what I did.

What I’m hearing is I should just buy this one before the sale ends: https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/Sh...ished%20vitamix

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
$250 is nuts. I thought I got a steal at $280.

I think Costco’s lowest for new was $330

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lawnie posted:

What I’m hearing is I should just buy this one before the sale ends: https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/Sh...ished%20vitamix

Amazon had a deal of the day, I got $100 off this for $189 total earlier this year: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CX95VRT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you're really price sensitive, might be worth monitoring and setting alerts.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

Amazon had a deal of the day, I got $100 off this for $189 total earlier this year: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CX95VRT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you're really price sensitive, might be worth monitoring and setting alerts.

I’m not super price-sensitive, but if I can reasonably expect to get something of a similar quality to what I posted for $200 on Black Friday, I would be pretty happy. That said, I’m not sure that’s going to be the case, and the one currently for sale is at a price I could stomach. I’ll probably go for it now if I can get buy-in from my girlfriend on it.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I'm really tempted to pick that up for $250 - I have a Blendtec now, but it makes the most awful grinding noise when you use it and is just loud as hell. I've been through two jars and nothing helps.

It'd be nice to have a dial, too, instead of the buttons.

emotive fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 26, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

emotive posted:

I'm really tempted to pick that up for $250 - I have a Blendtec now, but it makes the most awful grinding noise when you use it and is just loud as hell. I've been through two jars and nothing helps.

That's the blendtec normal sound if you weren't sure. Mine does that too.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

That's the blendtec normal sound if you weren't sure. Mine does that too.

Good to know. I've tried everything to get it to stop, but it turns me off from even using it.

That said, I just ordered that $250 Vitamix, so if anyone wants to buy a barely used Blendtec...

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

emotive posted:

Good to know. I've tried everything to get it to stop, but it turns me off from even using it.

That said, I just ordered that $250 Vitamix, so if anyone wants to buy a barely used Blendtec...

I also pulled the trigger on the $250 one. If anyone wants to buy a slightly used Ninja blender, my dm’s are open.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Kreez posted:

Look at the Bosch compact. I switched to it from the Bosch Universal and haven't ever regretted it. It's like half the price of the Artisan, much smaller when folded up, and more powerful. Only downside is the meat grinder attachment has been discontinued, if that's important.

You can easily buy the machine as well as parts and stuff in Canada too, which is sometimes a worry with weird brands.
http://healthykitchens.com/aos_online_store.html?details=24617&pcount=24617&ca_id=1083

How well does the compact model handle bread dough or pizza dough? Other mixers right in that price range appear to be tearing themselves apart and struggling to do bread doughs.

Also that Nutrimill Artiste mixer looks pretty impressive for the money too. Apparently all of the Bosch Universal attachments work with it.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 27, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What’s a good food processor for both chopping food and making dough?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

emotive posted:

I love my vitamix but it is definitely not the solution to your "loud as hell" problems

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The first time I turned my Vitamix up past half strength, I was filled with the same panic you get from a car accident.

Vitamix makes a professional quiet model with a giant acrylic noise shield but it’s like $1000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Steve Yun posted:

The first time I turned my Vitamix up past half strength, I was filled with the same panic you get from a car accident.

Vitamix makes a professional quiet model with a giant acrylic noise shield but it’s like $1000

Why would professionals pay more for a quieter model though?