Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's really common for rental properties in america to put it into the lease that you can't work on your car on their property

just fyi

How have you not chased out your politicians yet.

Here's a mechanics cat

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
50 million temporarily embarrassed billionaires voting in every election i think

mystes
May 31, 2006

Combat Theory posted:

How have you not chased out your politicians yet.

Here's a mechanics cat

[tIMG]https://i.imgur.com/Hvxb3g7.jpg[tImg]
But freedom!

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
any change a renter might want has already been thought of by landlords 5 years before you got there, debated in city council meetings at 1pm on tuesdays that only retired busybodies show up to, and enshrined into law in favor of those property owners, who have been voting for the garbage politicians for the last 35 years

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

But yeah to get back to what Truga said, if you live so urbanized that you run into space issues of a garage, the question would be if it truly is necessary to sustain individual mobility in Form of a car or if you wouldn't be better of with a bicycle and maybe a motorbike for trips outta town (they run you a lot cheaper in general)

Judging by the traffic in overpopulated environments around the globe, a car as the main means of individual transportation isn't the best solution anymore at a certain population density.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
there's a state wide rent control proposition on the ballot this time, prop 10. it doesn't actually establish any rent control at all, it just changes some rules to give cities more freedom to decide to implement rent control if they want to. the constant commercials against it are hilarious, like homeowners are being ATTACKED

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Slippery Tilde
brb loading my infant into my motorcycle's saddlebag to drop them off at daycare on the way to work

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Combat Theory posted:

But yeah to get back to what Truga said, if you live so urbanized that you run into space issues of a garage, the question would be if it truly is necessary to sustain individual mobility in Form of a car or if you wouldn't be better of with a bicycle and maybe a motorbike for trips outta town (they run you a lot cheaper in general)

tbh i have been considering getting an electric bicycle, one of the pedal assist ones, because it would suit most of my needs... only need the car for longer trips or when i gotta haul poo poo back from costco

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

brb loading my infant into my motorcycle's saddlebag to drop them off at daycare on the way to work

super cute, actually

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

DELETE CASCADE posted:

tbh i have been considering getting an electric bicycle, one of the pedal assist ones, because it would suit most of my needs... only need the car for longer trips or when i gotta haul poo poo back from costco

Same same actually. I live on the countryside but I travel to the city for studies and work and I haven't taken the car on a weekday since 2016 I think. It's just too much of a hassle with traffic, parking anf overall slower than driving to the next train station and taking public transport. One of these e bike assisted things would be nice for that. And I can jump off when they inevitably turn into a fireball knowing my luck with bicycles.

E:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

That's fully understandable. But how many people sitting in traffic jams every morning are transporting infants? How many are even car pooling or driving anyone but themselves?

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 10, 2018

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Combat Theory posted:

1. Buy a Haynes repair manual for the car

2. You should always have basic tools

3. A garage/storage will run you cheaper than the increased degradation of a vehicle that sits outside and is rarely maintained.

Also all of the above is a fraction of the money you will lose on devaluation in your life if you lease/buy new vehicles.
1) Yes. Absolutely always get the manual.
2) A OBDII reader, tacklebox-sized tool set and jack stands will get you through most issues and you can get loaner tools for anything you will only occasionally need (never try to make do with tools that are close to what you need)
3) That really depends on where you are, really. Sometimes it's just cheaper to rent out space for the day or it's something you can't do after pushing your car off to somewhere safe.

But then again, the newest car I ever repaired was 2000-ish so I may just be way out of date.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Slippery Tilde

DELETE CASCADE posted:

there's a state wide rent control proposition on the ballot this time, prop 10. it doesn't actually establish any rent control at all, it just changes some rules to give cities more freedom to decide to implement rent control if they want to. the constant commercials against it are hilarious, like homeowners are being ATTACKED

santa clara county just palo alto has a ballot proposition next month that stanford is freaking the gently caress out about, prop f

it would limit how much hospitals there (so the stanford network) can charge to 115% of their direct cost to deliver the care

stanford's official statement is that they just have to charge up to 150% of their cost in order to cover all those medicare and medicaid patients they handle, and that this would cut their overall funding by 25% and that it doesn't take into account administration costs and :qq: :qq: :qq:

i'm told that every single screensaver and desktop background there is now VOTE NO ON F

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

DELETE CASCADE posted:

I've been considering ganking one of those bird scooters and replacing the guts with a pi before the city gets tired of their bullshit and tells them to get hosed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Stop posting as me from the future

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Combat Theory posted:

That's fully understandable. But how many people sitting in traffic jams every morning are transporting infants? How many are even car pooling or driving anyone but themselves?

a nonzero, nontrivial amount

that would ofc be better served by public transit (lol america)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

Stop posting as me from the future

honestly a babybjorn worn on the chest would probably be the safest option

p sure you'd run afoul of the car seat law tho for children 8 and under

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it is entirely unsurprising to me that this guy is riding a hayabusa with an extended swingarm

(they caught up to and arrested him)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i really want to upgrade to an electric bike, but they're so silly expensive compared. i had to buy a bike a couple months back because my ancient old bike's frame basically fell apart, and it was 50 euros, basket for 15e included. for a decent enough old e-bike i'd be shelling out 500+.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

people use these to drive their toddlers around a lot here now. obviously not viable if you live too far away, but if you're in biking distance it seems to work fine.

alternatively just be my older brother and weld some extra seats on your commute shitbike. what could possibly go wrong??

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
caster’s off, bro.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Truga posted:

i really want to upgrade to an electric bike, but they're so silly expensive compared. i had to buy a bike a couple months back because my ancient old bike's frame basically fell apart, and it was 50 euros, basket for 15e included. for a decent enough old e-bike i'd be shelling out 500+.

people use these to drive their toddlers around a lot here now. obviously not viable if you live too far away, but if you're in biking distance it seems to work fine.

alternatively just be my older brother and weld some extra seats on your commute shitbike. what could possibly go wrong??

Im arguing about making one myself mostly because the rules for what needs a license plate and what doesn't are so strict that you can't buy anything fun here without registration... And no one is measuring the true performance aniways.

Also the kits are really cheap and I just need the electric parts and not the whole new bycicle.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DELETE CASCADE posted:

again, san francisco bay area. i want to live.

Public transportation.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tesla is going to solve the whole housing crisis because you'll just be able to have your car drive in circles in autopilot all night while you sleep in it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
a rocking bed powered by batteries you say?

someone tweet this idea at elon

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sagebrush posted:

it is entirely unsurprising to me that this guy is riding a hayabusa with an extended swingarm

I NEVER WEAR A HELMET

AND I RIDE

A SUZUKI HAYABUSA

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

What does this mean?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the perfect machine to carry a toddler

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Peeny Cheez posted:

What does this mean?

It's the universal douchebag identification mod for sports bikes.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

poo poo, I didn't even see the baby at first

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Combat Theory posted:

It's the universal douchebag identification mod for sports bikes.
Looking at the dude, seems a wee bit redundant.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Peeny Cheez posted:

What does this mean?

the suzuki GSX1300R "hayabusa" was, for several years, the fastest motorcycle you could buy new (top speed ~320km/h). it was designed specifically to dethrone the previous record-holder, the honda CBR1100XX "super blackbird," named after the SR-71. hayabusa is the japanese name for the peregrine falcon, which eats blackbirds.

extending the rear swingarm (moving the rear wheel backwards) is a modification commonly performed on drag racing motorcycles to reduce the tendency to wheelie under acceleration. it has no use on street motorcycles and only reduces handling performance.

this guy has chosen to buy The Fastest Bike On Earth and modify it in a useless (but visually distinctive) way that suggests to the untrained observer that he can go Even Faster. it is unsurprising to me that a man who does that, and chooses to ride in nothing but shorts, tank top and flip-flops, thinks that it's okay to cram your infant in between your chest and the gas tank as you ride down the highway

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
ive been staring at the lighting angles for hte last few minutes and it looks like his rear tire is super flat

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
gotta get that traction hookup brah!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

the suzuki GSX1300R "hayabusa" was, for several years, the fastest motorcycle you could buy new (top speed ~320km/h). it was designed specifically to dethrone the previous record-holder, the honda CBR1100XX "super blackbird," named after the SR-71. hayabusa is the japanese name for the peregrine falcon, which eats blackbirds.

extending the rear swingarm (moving the rear wheel backwards) is a modification commonly performed on drag racing motorcycles to reduce the tendency to wheelie under acceleration. it has no use on street motorcycles and only reduces handling performance.

this guy has chosen to buy The Fastest Bike On Earth and modify it in a useless (but visually distinctive) way that suggests to the untrained observer that he can go Even Faster. it is unsurprising to me that a man who does that, and chooses to ride in nothing but shorts, tank top and flip-flops, thinks that it's okay to cram your infant in between your chest and the gas tank as you ride down the highway

I'm disappointed he doesn't have the kid in a papoose.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol at being rich enough to make babies but poor enough to not afford an au pair and home schooling

some people just make a hobby out of painting themselves into corners

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

santa clara county just palo alto has a ballot proposition next month that stanford is freaking the gently caress out about, prop f

it would limit how much hospitals there (so the stanford network) can charge to 115% of their direct cost to deliver the care

stanford's official statement is that they just have to charge up to 150% of their cost in order to cover all those medicare and medicaid patients they handle, and that this would cut their overall funding by 25% and that it doesn't take into account administration costs and :qq: :qq: :qq:

i'm told that every single screensaver and desktop background there is now VOTE NO ON F

solution: increase spending on patient care by a factor of 3.33. usa healthcare ftw

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

solution: increase spending on patient care by a factor of 3.33. usa healthcare ftw

oh they worded it to be reasonable costs so i think they are not allowed to jack it up suddenly or include administration bonuses and whatnot as part of the justification

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Peeny Cheez posted:

I've been considering ganking one of those bird scooters and replacing the guts with a pi before the city gets tired of their bullshit and tells them to get hosed.

forums poster atomicthumbs made a post explaining exactly how to do this in the tech bubel thread fyi, like what specific bits to yank out and replace and where, etc.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i've been walking 6 miles through middlefield road through the border betw. menlo and palo alto

i counted over 100 "vote no on f" signs then i lost count

there are rows and rows of healthcare dealios. there are about 2 doctors or whatever offices of whatever kind to every restaurant in palo alto

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

some people just make a hobby out of painting themselves into corners

well yeah if you mean painting myself with my own sperm into a corner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Slippery Tilde

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i've been walking 6 miles through middlefield road through the border betw. menlo and palo alto

i counted over 100 "vote no on f" signs then i lost count

there are rows and rows of healthcare dealios. there are about 2 doctors or whatever offices of whatever kind to every restaurant in palo alto

livermore also has a similar local prop coming up, to catch their part of the stanford clinic network too

that one's called prop u

f and u

lmao