Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I was trying to look it up as well. Apparently it was purged from the main wiki as Fanon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
yeah it's worth remembering please note when you're doing roguetech stuff. Much like xcom long war not everyone plays it and not everyone likes it, so it's worth pointing that out so nobody gets confused.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It doesn't help that none of the canon ballistic weapons do exactly 80 dmg. The closest you can get is the heavy sub-capital cannon, which does 70 dmg and weighs 700t.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Behemoth is 100 tons and can slap a rail gun on according to mekpak :v:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

OAquinas posted:

Adding onto this: when possible, keep one side facing the enemy. That way when you start losing armor and/or want to fall back you can try to face the other side to the enemy and keep your exposed bits shielded.

Eeek! This shows how much tactics can vary, because this is exactly what I'm trying to do to the enemy and keep from happening to me. I'd much rather keep front facing until I had a location I was worried about, then turn to protect the injury if possible. I'd bet the difference is that I'm frequently worried about one of my mechs attracting concentrated fire where this could take off an arm in one turn -- even if I balanced my armor way more out into the arms. But a more stand back and pound em at range style wouldn't have that problem as much.

Which brings up another point: the AI gets a mixed bag of stock mechs that generally* don't combine to make more than the sum of their parts. Yours can. Whatever the tactical style you choose to play, you should build mechs that complement it. Your mechs should work together and have roles. I'm sure an experienced player *could* complete an all-stock playthrough but it would be way harder.

*sometimes they get lucky combos that work, and those are the really fun missions

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The modders claim there are ~450 mechs in RT now (most are variants) and might go to 600+ with the release of the expansion.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Edit: read that as tonnage first considering the super heavy silliness talk.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

binge crotching posted:

What should I be going for as far as target priority?
Take this with a grain of salt, as I haven't played seriously in quite a while (burnout is fun, kids) but: i always kill the small stuff first. Even the weaker small stuff. I don't like to leave lights running loose. They don't do much damage, but if it's just enough damage to knock you down or get a crit on your ++ weapon, it's worth it to spend the round murdering them.

The only time I break that rule is when something like a Hunchback comes out where I need to disable their weapon quickly or I'll eat lots of damage. But otherwise, I'm focused on reducing the number of enemy actions as quickly as possible. Because once you have more actions than they do, the fight becomes simple.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I think that's all pretty solid advice, for the most part. My philosophy is always looking at the quickest way to get the most damage off the board. OpFor has a Hunchback 4G? Disable the AC/20 and then, so long as I can keep it out of Melee range, ignore it. Little Spider jumping around taking potshots with the MLs, try to keep it from getting behind my guys, but focus on shooting stuff I can actually hit. Once the Spider is my only concern I can focus on pinning it down and killing it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Klyith posted:

Eeek! This shows how much tactics can vary, because this is exactly what I'm trying to do to the enemy and keep from happening to me. I'd much rather keep front facing until I had a location I was worried about, then turn to protect the injury if possible. I'd bet the difference is that I'm frequently worried about one of my mechs attracting concentrated fire where this could take off an arm in one turn -- even if I balanced my armor way more out into the arms. But a more stand back and pound em at range style wouldn't have that problem as much.

Which brings up another point: the AI gets a mixed bag of stock mechs that generally* don't combine to make more than the sum of their parts. Yours can. Whatever the tactical style you choose to play, you should build mechs that complement it. Your mechs should work together and have roles. I'm sure an experienced player *could* complete an all-stock playthrough but it would be way harder.

*sometimes they get lucky combos that work, and those are the really fun missions

I generally run mechs with "Ablative armor" arms, so if I lose one it's nbd. If I am running with useful gun arms (more than a spare med laser or something) then yeah, front-facing is probably a better move. I try to avoid doing that since arms are so fragile though.

Edit: VV oh yeah, AC20s get primaried unless I'm able to keep them at range. Ability to punch through armor (or blow off a part) in one hit is waaay too dangerous to leave on the field.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 9, 2018

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

If I see something with an AC 20 or with 3+ big SRM launchers, then it must die asap. Other than that, just look for whatever target presents itself to be focused down.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

This is all really nice advice, thanks.

About the arms as ablative armor thing, I thought they were where you put your guns? They get an accuracy bonus from being in the arms, and sometimes it seems like that is the difference between a 2/3rds chance to hit and a 4/5. I'm always worried about getting them blown off, because that's where the guns go. Does everyone just put guns in the torso instead?

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

binge crotching posted:

About the arms as ablative armor thing, I thought they were where you put your guns? They get an accuracy bonus from being in the arms, and sometimes it seems like that is the difference between a 2/3rds chance to hit and a 4/5. I'm always worried about getting them blown off, because that's where the guns go. Does everyone just put guns in the torso instead?

It's up to you to decide, but I generally put the guns I really want to last, like an AC-20, in the torso for safe keeping. If you're brawling a lot the difference starts to become less important because it's hard to miss at point blank.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This is a King Crab

*zooms in 150%*

This is an Omega

Also we're letting you fit TSM and MASC on the same mech because (waves hands in the air very convincingly)

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
On a lot of mechs you can build them lopsided so the majority of your weapons are to one side. The idea being even if you lose a ML or two they won't matter in the long run compared to losing you AC/20 or rack of SRM. So you angle whichever side has less weapons towards the opponent

Of course the obvious downside is if you're facing the opponent head on and they get lucky stripping armor off of your stacked side early. Even in those situations you just need to babysit that mech a little more than normal

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It helps that I don't think the AI analyzes your loadouts to the level of detail that would enable it to try to target lopsided loadouts.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Xarbala posted:

This is a King Crab

*zooms in 150%*

This is an Omega

Also we're letting you fit TSM and MASC on the same mech because (waves hands in the air very convincingly)

They've actually gotten a lot better about that - they recently altered the Gladiator so it *can't* fit a MASC, TSM, or Supercharger, since it already has a bit of those baked into the hull.

Also, there's a Clan Omega, so zoom in 200%. >.>

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 10, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They've actually gotten a lot better about that - they recently altered the Gladiator so it *can't* fit a MASC, TSM, or Supercharger, since it already has a bit of those baked into the hull.

Also, there's a Clan Omega, so zoom in 200%. >.>

Man, there's already more crazy nonsense that already exists in canon than anybody knows what to do with. I don't see why RT feels the need to make up even more stuff. Also the whole making up "legendary variants" thing.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Orca_(BattleMech) Orca when

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

binge crotching posted:

Torsos are a safe bet and some mechs can even mount weapons to the center. As you level up your pilots and start salvaging <weapon>+'s you'll never hurt for accuracy again. If enemy evasion pips are still an annoyance for you there's always sensor lock (yawn) or melee/death from above (:getin:). Don't worry too much about losing parts and such if you're playing Vanilla BT as your company's power is going to viciously snowball out of control once you start salvaging Kintaros and Wolverines, which will help you stand your ground against Orions, Thunderbolts, and Grasshoppers. Once you get your first Orion you win the game. Also: jump jets. Use them, abuse them. You get to pile on tons of evasion pips and reposition yourself for a better shot at the expense of a very minor amount of heat, you'll never have to sprint again (also some campaign missions go *much* more smoothly if you have jump-capable mechs).

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 10, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Max jumpjets on anything that isn't a dedicated lrm boat or a real gimmick fit, basically.

You might think "oh, I can fit more weapons if I cut the jumpjets", but that's moron talk. Cut a single MLas and three heatsinks and slap those jumpjets on instead.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

binge crotching posted:

+1 to hit is at most 5% on the final percentage, so the arm location is really fairly minor. Early game you need every +1 you can get because you don't have pilots with high gunnery or +++ weapons with massive accuracy boosts. Later on it becomes somewhat superfluous.

I guess the main thing is which mechs you have and which ones you like. It helps inform what role the mech is good at. Easiest example is Enforcer vs Hunchback. Both good mechs. Statistically they're almost identical, same free space and similar weapon slots. The gun being in the arm or the torso is the difference between an AC-10 and an AC-20 being the best option. Short range brawly mechs take more hits and especially more arm hits, so an AC-20 Enforcer is a risky thing compared to the Hunchie.

In general putting lots of weapons on the arms means you want to be a long-range platform rather than a close one.

Xarbala posted:

Man, there's already more crazy nonsense that already exists in canon than anybody knows what to do with. I don't see why RT feels the need to make up even more stuff. Also the whole making up "legendary variants" thing.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Orca_(BattleMech) Orca when

that's why my Jaime Wolf mod is better, because it's 100% canon that Jaime Wolf can defeat an Atlas in an Urbanmech

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Klyith posted:

that's why my Jaime Wolf mod is better, because it's 100% canon that Jaime Wolf can defeat an Atlas in an Urbanmech

Jaime Wolf's first appearance was standing up to his hips in molten lava with his Archer a hair's breadth from exploding due to heat.

The only reason he isn't dead is because the Dragoons loaned their employer's watchdog, Minobu Tetsuhara, a Vindicator, which was just light enough (with a pilot just skilled and crazy enough) to crawl on the cooling basalt crust without breaking through. Even the Dragoons' Clanners weren't willing to risk a rescue.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

They really are zoomed-up Crabs:

From L to R: Boar's Head Atlas ('heavy scout'), Omega-C (200t), Omega x2 (150t)

That Atlas can generate a max of 11 evasion pips, and recently managed to get knocked down. Two Stone Rhinos, a clan Executioner, a clan Black Knight, and a Novacat shot at it for two initiative turns and it still didn't go into structure. Then the AI tried to stomp on it...and missed. :v:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 11, 2018

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

PoptartsNinja posted:

Jaime Wolf's first appearance was standing up to his hips in molten lava with his Archer a hair's breadth from exploding due to heat.

The only reason he isn't dead is because the Dragoons loaned their employer's watchdog, Minobu Tetsuhara, a Vindicator, which was just light enough (with a pilot just skilled and crazy enough) to crawl on the cooling basalt crust without breaking through. Even the Dragoons' Clanners weren't willing to risk a rescue.

Minobu Tetsuhara doesn't get enough credit. Justin Xiang-Allard lost his arm and was all "waaaaah waaaah I'll never pilot a Mech again!" until Daddy Quintus and Uncle Hanse shut him up with a prosthetic that will, in fact, link up neurally to a Mech to allow him to pilot. Minobu gets his arm and leg blown off and gets nothing but simple wooden prosthetics and loving goes out there and keeps piloting Mechs as if nothing's changed (after he heals, of course).

Granted that could probably be argued to be the fact that those were some of the very first novels so the instances of the universe and how difficult Mechs were to pilot were really hashed out but still.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Minobu had the glorious Samurai Spirit to help him power through things because 80s Japan was unstoppable.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Minobu was also a godamn savant in his Panther - he was able to enter some weird neural state with it where he could pilot it like an extension of his body (This is a really rare thing in universe which is where all the advanced neural interfaces come from later in the timeline).

Takashi Kurita took it off him and 'promoted' him to a Dragon he had no connection with at all.

RIP Minobu.

Jaime Wolf learning Japanese just to insult Takashi in public is still one of the best things that ever happened in the early storyline.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Why are all the superheavies just giant crabs?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Lord Frisk posted:

The Leviathan, as apocryphal as it might be, is based off the Marauder II hull, which when you think about it is another crab. Who knows. I've not seen the Orca yet, but I know it's also based off the King Crab.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The giant enemy crab meme will never die.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Phrosphor posted:

Jaime Wolf learning Japanese just to insult Takashi in public is still one of the best things that ever happened in the early storyline.
I like that the confrontation was just a minor detail at the wedding, and the full extent of why he did that got explained in later books.

Omar_Comin fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 11, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lord Frisk posted:

There's just not enough models in the base game to convincingly proxy any chickenwalkers that big because it's 3025-only, no Macross Unseen.

There are theoretically ways around that if Roguetech integrated even more mods, and more MWO mech models were ported over, but they're basically trying to make something with megamek+mekHQ-style comprehensiveness in a base game that only represents like a tenth of the material.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Omar_Comin posted:

I like that the confrontation was just a minor detail at the wedding, and the full extent of why he did that got explained in later books.

I think you have it reversed; the confrontation was a minor detail in the Warrior Trilogy (really the only effect it had was explaining that Jaime was pissed at the Combine and explained why he went over to the FedSuns), also foreshadowing their Clan roots because he somehow snuck weapons past ComStar's super-advanced scanners explicitly designed to detect weapons. The full details of why he was furious was revealed in Wolves on the Border, given that Takashi pretty blatantly hosed over Minobu Tetsuhara in every sense, but Minobu was so loyal and honorable that without absolute guaranteed proof (even though both he and Jaime knew Takashi was behind everything) he committed seppuku because he failed his lord by NOT destroying his best friend's mercenary group.

Also fun note, Minobu Tetsuhara was black but he's presented as the ideal Kuritan samurai. With a few exceptions (namely the Federated Suns), racism isn't a big issue in the setting.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear
I think you're right, it's been a few years since I read the books and I plowed through the 60+ list in short order so it's probably all blended together in my memory at this point.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Sky Shadowing posted:

I think you have it reversed; the confrontation was a minor detail in the Warrior Trilogy (really the only effect it had was explaining that Jaime was pissed at the Combine and explained why he went over to the FedSuns), also foreshadowing their Clan roots because he somehow snuck weapons past ComStar's super-advanced scanners explicitly designed to detect weapons. The full details of why he was furious was revealed in Wolves on the Border, given that Takashi pretty blatantly hosed over Minobu Tetsuhara in every sense, but Minobu was so loyal and honorable that without absolute guaranteed proof (even though both he and Jaime knew Takashi was behind everything) he committed seppuku because he failed his lord by NOT destroying his best friend's mercenary group.

Also fun note, Minobu Tetsuhara was black but he's presented as the ideal Kuritan samurai. With a few exceptions (namely the Federated Suns), racism isn't a big issue in the setting.

IIRC Takashi wasn't the direct agent of Minobu's downfall - that was his immediate subordinate responsible for the region the Dragoons were operating in, Warlord Samsonov. Apparently Takashi's intent was to have the Dragoons sufficiently compromised that they would become dependent on their relationship with the Combine and remain there rather than continuing on with their tour of the Inner Sphere, but Samsonov was a rather cliched Stupid rear end in a top hat character who bungled the situation spectacularly such that it became a blood feud that was ruinous to all involved parties.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Sky Shadowing posted:

It does go along with the Kell Hounds plot thread in the book to add to why the DC would be having issues with mercenaries. And it is mentioned later that the Wolf Dragoons are basically taunting the DCMS onto Misery to mostly keep the border with the Fed Suns safe.

The cause for the confrontation is left to guess at as the person who's PoV that scene was from didn't understand what was said.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Q_res posted:

OpFor has a Hunchback 4G? Disable the AC/20 and then, so long as I can keep it out of Melee range, ignore it.

This, but blow up the other side so it doesn't have any ammo and you can salvage the ac20

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
No one told me there was so much clicking in vanilla. I had no idea there were so many ways of saying "no" or "not relevant" to an animated character.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Someone's managed to get the Assassin into the game, like the Annihilator is has some issues. https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/315

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Sky Shadowing posted:

Uhhh, he explicitly gets poo poo from most of the 'real' space Japanese about not being authentic space Japanese, even though he's the only honorable one in the bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Q_res posted:

Someone's managed to get the Assassin into the game, like the Annihilator is has some issues. https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/315

I'd wait on any mods since you know when the expac comes out it will break everything and it'll all have to be remade anyway.