Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Detectorists leaves Netflix next month, hurry and watch it if you like chill comedies about the competitive world of metal detecting in the English countryside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching the BBC version of Wallander. Yet another of those shows I've enough of to know it's really good and I like it but never actually managed to finish.

I forgot that this was one of Tom Hiddleston's pre-fame roles.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Do I watch the old movie before starting 12 Monkeys?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

101 posted:

Do I watch the old movie before starting 12 Monkeys?

You don't need to though you may miss out on some small references and there's a cameo in the show that is better appreciated having watched the movie. IMO the movie is fantastic especially if you like Brad Pitt hamming it up

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I should definitely get around to rewatching the film. I've seen it a couple of times a long time ago and I always kind of had it categorized in the "I don't like this kind of heavy sci fi/time travel/nihilistic/dystopia stuff" I was talking about that the show managed to totally avoid for me for some reason. But I haven't seen it in at least a decade so its probably worth me sitting down and giving it a look after loving the show.

But I don't think you really lose anything not watching the movie before the show besides some general "remake of something I'm familiar with that has changes and nods I notice" stuff.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

wormil posted:

Detectorists leaves Netflix next month, hurry and watch it if you like chill comedies about the competitive world of metal detecting in the English countryside.

I've been watching and despite the occasionally high cringe factor (something I'm not usually a huge fan of) I'm really digging it. It's been a while since a show has made me laugh this much. Crook and Jones are both fantastic.

Although it was really bugging me why Rachael Stirling looked so familiar. Checking her IMDB it's like I've seen her here and there, but nothing stood out. But turns out she's Diana Rigg's daughter, which is why she looked so familiar. She's also married to Guy Garvey... which really isn't fair, why can't I be in Elbow and have Diana Rigg as a mother-in-law?

Edit: Sorry about the "digging" pun. I promise it wasn't intentional.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm watching the BBC version of Wallander. Yet another of those shows I've enough of to know it's really good and I like it but never actually managed to finish.

I forgot that this was one of Tom Hiddleston's pre-fame roles.

It's super boring. There's one episode about computer hackers that feels like it would be right at home with a CBS procedural like NCIS.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Even though I tend to avoid whatever show Netflix has on the homepage, and was very skeptical of Jonah Hill as an actor, I decided to give Maniac a go.

Holy poo poo that was the best original show I have watched in years. Hill and Stone were amazing and I had to marathon the whole loving thing. Who the gently caress knew Jonah Hill could act?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pahuyuth posted:

You don't need to though you may miss out on some small references and there's a cameo in the show that is better appreciated having watched the movie. IMO the movie is fantastic especially if you like Brad Pitt hamming it up

I recently saw Burn After Reading for the first time. Turns out I'm extremely into that.

Mackers posted:

Holy poo poo that was the best original show I have watched in years. Hill and Stone were amazing and I had to marathon the whole loving thing. Who the gently caress knew Jonah Hill could act?

Everyone who watched The Wolf of Wall Street

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

It's super boring. There's one episode about computer hackers that feels like it would be right at home with a CBS procedural like NCIS.

Aw, it's just the sort of thing I enjoy. I like Kenneth Branagh. :shobon:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Mackers posted:

Even though I tend to avoid whatever show Netflix has on the homepage, and was very skeptical of Jonah Hill as an actor, I decided to give Maniac a go.

Just started watching it and it's fascinating me so far.

I mean, the dude has been nominated for best supporting actor twice.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

Just started watching it and it's fascinating me so far.

I mean, the dude has been nominated for best supporting actor twice.

He was what

Well guess im the only one surprised at that then. I always thought of him as the fat kid from Superbad

But yeah, show is awesome.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

What, really? They haven't even put up Season 3 yet. :smith:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Mackers posted:

The show was great, and I also marathoned it in a couple of days, but Hill's acting felt like the weakest link to me. All of the "characters" he plays are basically indistinguishable except for some minor accent changes; the one real departure is as much a silly voice as it is a character.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, but bro... Emma Stone slam dunked her roles. Going to make anyone look bad.

campfire
Feb 19, 2008

Snoo Zertnert

101 posted:

Everyone who watched The Wolf of Wall Street

and moneyball before that

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Norsemen on Netflix is like the Office UK but Vikings with Norwegian accents.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Bates posted:

Norsemen on Netflix is like the Office UK but Vikings with Norwegian accents.

It has some Monty Python vibes too, though it is far drier humor. It's a great show.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Randallteal posted:

Help I watched nine episodes of Terrace House last night and now I can't get the godawful sappy pop opening out of my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTE9W8DW5GI

I was so pissed that they changed the song in the newest season of Terrace House. My wife and I would sing it every time it came on. Now with the new song I just skip it. Also we ended up watching every episode on Netflix, and we are now watching the non-Netflix season.

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer

Mackers posted:

It looks really interesting, but will i be distracted by Jonah Hills turkey neck? Its great he lost the weight but his neck just looks so weird, what do they call it a wattle or something?

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone watched The Good Cop on Netflix? I am not sure why i decided to watch it as I knew it would be a cliched cop comedy/drama and it stars Tony Danza and Josh Groban of all people, but i really kind of enjoyed it.

Nearly every episode is completely out there as far as the plot and the convoluted ways people get murdered, but its also kind of fun and Tony Danza is excellent. I think its written by the guy who did Monk

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Camping.. Intense! posted:

It looks really interesting, but will i be distracted by Jonah Hills turkey neck? Its great he lost the weight but his neck just looks so weird, what do they call it a wattle or something?

His current appearance actually supports his character, who is very muted and haunted. That and Emma Stone's performance quickly take your mind off "Holy poo poo is that Jonah Hill??".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching Fargo and I'm on season two. It's all good - I like the movie a lot and the series really lives up to it - but the UFOs/lights in the sky in season two are a bit of an odd direction. I know it's set in in 1979, but were UFOs still a big cultural thing in 1979? To my mind they're a 50s/60s thing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Wheat Loaf posted:

... were UFOs still a big cultural thing in 1979? To my mind they're a 50s/60s thing.

UFO's were huge in the 70's. Project Blue Book was published. Close Encounters of the Third Kind came out in '77. There were quite a few magazines based around UFOs, bigfoot, and other phenomena. J. Allen Hynek and the Center for UFO Studies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Also, Bruce Campbell as Ronald Reagan doesn't quite work for me. :shrug:

(Though him talking about some war movie he made in 1942 as if it was actual military experience was great.)

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I saw Deadwood posted it reminded me of Godless anyone seen that on netflix?

Also anyone seen Castlerock any good horror shows other than AHS? I am up to season 3 in AHS.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Deadwood is much better than Godless

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Ulio posted:

Also anyone seen Castlerock any good horror shows other than AHS? I am up to season 3 in AHS.

Both Deadwood and Godless are thoroughly enjoyable, but apart from the same period portrayed in them I see few similarities.

I have been watchin 12 monkeys because it was mentioned here. The first season was a bit boring, but watchable, but it really picks up after that. It clearly states that it doesn't care about plotholes and doesn't dwell too long on the sometimes overly dramatic bits. The only parts I ever really rolled my eyes at was when the characters were supposedly at the end of their tether, physically, but they just always look and act the same.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People also switch sides every other episode.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ulio posted:

First Godless is a decent watch, but it is not in the same class as Deadwood.

Second Castlerock is average with one stand out episode and a blah ending. The Haunting Hill House on Netflix (comes out Friday) is getting good reviews. It looks to be inspired by book instead of a remake of the 1963 movie.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

nate fisher posted:

First Godless is a decent watch, but it is not in the same class as Deadwood.

Second Castlerock is average with one stand out episode and a blah ending. The Haunting Hill House on Netflix (comes out Friday) is getting good reviews. It looks to be inspired by book instead of a remake of the 1963 movie.

Ya I am highly anticipating that. The book is one of my favorite piece of horror.

I'll check out Godless then, I remember watching the first episode of deadwood and not liking it I definitely have to give a go.

I did also watch Carnivale if anyone remembers that. I always mistook Carnivale with Deadwood.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It is also one of my favorite books. Also I love Robert Wise�s 1963 movie based on it, but not the late 90�s remake.

I loved Carnivale. That one episode about the abandoned mining town was horrifying.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 10, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Carnivale was one of my first prestige dramas and it's still one of my faves, and one of very few shows for which I have ever found the time and inclination to do a rewatch.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The first season was so loving slow. But it was all worth it for the season 2 scene where Ben reveals his powers to the carnie crew.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I binged through the final season of The Expanse recently and drat that was a fun ride. I think season 3 was a bit of a step down from season 2, but it was still really good. It was also nice to see Miller (more or less) again, he was my favorite in the first two seasons.

I’m interested to see where they take the story in the next season, and I’m tempted to do what I did with Game of Thrones and just pick up the books and read them.

Now I need to find a new show to watch now that I’m caught up on The Expanse and Better Call Saul’s season just ended...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Channel Zero is an excellent horror show. I really like Fortitude too. And The Exorcist tv series had its moments.

Carnivale's more of a multi-genre thing, but when it goes scary it gets pretty scary. The Babylon episode's been mentioned, and it's pretty freaky, but there's some stuff in the second season with the mask guy which is just as terrifying.

Hannibal and Ash vs Evil Dead have a few chill moments, but they're hybrid genre shows. The former's more a thriller and the latter's a comedy.

As for slashers, the second season of Slasher is probably the best of them, (it's an anthology series so you should just watch that, the first season's not great) and some goons really liked Harper's Island by the end of it.

Speaking of horror, has anyone seen Lore, on Amazon? Any good or nah?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Harper's Island was silly but fun.

Penny Dreadful was really good. A lot of people seemed down on S3 and narratively its probably the weakest, but I think it pulls everything together well for the finale and the show's really carried on an amazing Eva Green performance, Timothy Dalton and others chewing scenery, and great period piece and monster looks.

Of course I hate American Horror Story so our tastes may divert. Penny Dreadful is a very different kind of horror, slow and moody.

I;ve always meant to check out The River. And I've been meaning to check out Outcast.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I've been meaning to check out Outcast.

What even happened with that second season. Cinemax aired it years after the first, and a year after it had already aired overseas. Unbelievable. It's like they were suddenly Australia.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

What even happened with that second season. Cinemax aired it years after the first, and a year after it had already aired overseas. Unbelievable. It's like they were suddenly Australia.

Weird yeah it aired over a year ago, and even now episodes pop up in my Kodi feed like a new episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

nate fisher posted:

I loved Carnivale. That one episode about the abandoned mining town was horrifying.

Yeah, the show is great pretty much all the way through, but the end of that episode in particular is so very hosed up. Also, in looking up some details about it I discovered that Dora is Meatloaf's daughter irl, the more yhou know and all that.