Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Catalina posted:

:neckbeard: I hope they have a new opening and ending to watch!
I still really like the ending, but this opening is pissing me off more and more.

Is there any real news about whether there will be a break after this week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
New episode is out. As a manga reader, I love how Isayama allows the answers to create context and lead to more questions in a good way. He had this poo poo planned out from the start and you can definitely tell.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Great episode.
I would have never guessed it was Keith who meddled with the gear back then. This is good

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Did they change the spelling of Keith's name? I feel like I would have remembered something as bizarre as Sadies.

Edit: Obviously Grisha is full of poo poo, but no one in the cast seems to have realized it.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 8, 2018

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

Did they change the spelling of Keith's name? I feel like I would have remembered something as bizarre as Sadies.

Edit: Obviously Grisha is full of poo poo, but no one in the cast seems to have realized it.

I remembered his name being spelled Shadis when I watched season 1 originally but that was 6 years ago and might've been different folks doing the subs at the time.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

JahRoo posted:

I remembered his name being spelled Shadis when I watched season 1 originally but that was 6 years ago and might've been different folks doing the subs at the time.

No, that's what I remember as well. I assume they have different people doing the translation, or perhaps there wasn't an official translation yet.

There was some really nice imagery in this episode. The cut from Keith standing alone at his promotion to him at the outside of the wedding was very well done.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Maera Sior posted:

There was no need to discuss with him that the amnesia was an obviously bullshit cover, since they were just listening to his story.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

There was no need to discuss with him that the amnesia was an obviously bullshit cover, since they were just listening to his story.

True, but I'll be irritated if they don't bring it up in the next episode.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Maybe Grisha was like a star trek type dude who beamed onto this planet to study everyone.

Anyways, hope next episode has a different OP for loving once

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I still say that the op is good

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think it's tiresome how both Ymir and now Grisha, both having formed a friendship with someone inside the walls, were both dead set against telling them about their lives outside the wall. I keep thinking it through and I can't imagine what about their predicaments were so terrible they couldn't share it with their closest friend.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Well, that's the mystery, isn't it?

Also if they change the op I'll be FURIOUS. Listened to the full version non stop on Spotify haha

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

I think it's tiresome how both Ymir and now Grisha, both having formed a friendship with someone inside the walls, were both dead set against telling them about their lives outside the wall. I keep thinking it through and I can't imagine what about their predicaments were so terrible they couldn't share it with their closest friend.

I mean Grisha did apparently end up murdering the whole royal family so maybe he had a good reason not to talk about who he was or why he was there.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Alan_Shore posted:

Well, that's the mystery, isn't it?

Also if they change the op I'll be FURIOUS. Listened to the full version non stop on Spotify haha

I do not know how people can watch a series about murdering gigantic death monsters and want the death of hype to be the opening.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I could spend my time explaining how I feel the opening is a visual mess, undercuts the themes of this season, and leads to tonal whiplash...or I could just say I put it on mute and try not to get angry.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I think it does a good job of contrasting the youthful, happy, idealistic kids and their hardened, worn adult selves. I also like the song

Edit: also because we're dealing with the past and the choices that others have made and how they affect our heroes

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 8, 2018

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Is say that the opening fits with where the manga is at now

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I really like the introduction of the first titan's power being handed down from generation to generation in the Reis family, and how to a person they all helplessly fall in line and give up on trying to free humanity from the walls. It's a great way to introduce what, to me at least, is a horrifying concept.

I especially like it because the Titans themselves have become less scary and unsettling as the series has gone on.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

I could spend my time explaining how I feel the opening is a visual mess, undercuts the themes of this season, and leads to tonal whiplash...or I could just say I put it on mute and try not to get angry.

You’d be very hard pressed to do that, because the opening is about the loss of innocence and happier times in the face of the future ahead of them,which is exactly what happened this season. Armin even has a line where he says he doesn’t think they’re good people anymore in this season.

Plus visually it looks amazing so no idea what you’re even talking about.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
IMHO the original Linked Horizon OP, that Wit didn't use after having X-Japan+Hyde forced on them, is much more in line with the other SnK OPs and with lyrics better fitting for the now concluded story arc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzmCyy9gUnY

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Asuron posted:

You’d be very hard pressed to do that, because the opening is about the loss of innocence and happier times in the face of the future ahead of them,which is exactly what happened this season. Armin even has a line where he says he doesn’t think they’re good people anymore in this season.

Plus visually it looks amazing so no idea what you’re even talking about.

Except none of them had this innocent or happy time in their lives! The characters are not nostalgic for these times, unlike what the imagery portrays (extremely generic shots, in pastels or sepia, with sparkles). By the time of the trio running and laughing, Mikasa had seen both her parents murdered, Eren went after several adults with a knife, and both of them had killed. Armin was always being beat up, so he didn't exactly have a great life there, although it certainly was less traumatic than the others. Levi was never innocent or happy (or properly fed), and Erwin can't get over what an idiot he was. The Shifters, going through the woods, had been forced into their positions as soldiers and ate people against their will! This season is about discovering elements of people's pasts that they were unaware of, not this bizarre nostalgia, which has no place in AoT and gets people killed. It's about discovering the truth of their situations and the world around them, but on a more personal level.

The visuals are using at least five different styles and palettes that fail to gel in any way. There's very little symbolism, unlike the other openings and the endings, and many of the shots can barely evoke a mood. The one shot that is symbolic, of Eren looking at the sky with his back to the audience and a younger version of him trying to get his attention, is trite. There are too many empty shots of the sky, which is not something you see in the show, since the sky symbolizes freedom and is almost always framed against the walls or nature. Kenny wins for the funniest shot, where he's drinking with the nostalgia filter on (what does this tell the audience about the character?). The opening is yelling at us to be nostalgic and feel for the characters, but there's little to no emotion on their faces and the shots are competent at best.

Also, the music is generic AF.

It doesn't need a bombastic opening, and it wouldn't suit the arc to have one, but there's no substance to this one.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
In the tradition of previous openings, this one resonates more if you're actually ahead of what's currently being aired.

E: What's this about the current opening being 'forced' on Wit, anyways. That Linked Horizon song is one from their most recent release, which includes the ending song. They always release two or three new tracks alongside the one featured in the anime itself, and they are always thematic with the anime. There's zero evidence this one was originally slated to be the opening.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/album/%E6%A5%BD%E5%9C%92%E3%81%B8%E3%81%AE%E9%80%B2%E6%92%83-single/1435021556
Track 2 here.
Also it doesn't really sound like an OP/ED track. I can't really characterize it, but single-exclusive tracks have a different feel to them.

E2: It's fine if you don't like X-Japan's, but trying to build a conspiracy theory about how LH were pushed off their "rightful place" as the opening song is ridiculous.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 8, 2018

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Kyte posted:

In the tradition of previous openings, this one resonates more if you're actually ahead of what's currently being aired.

Possibly that's true, but that doesn't excuse this one. The previous openings were able to evoke very strong moods for people whose only exposure to the story was the show.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It was really dark when the random rookies are asking the 6-month-in crew what they'd seen that made them look like veterans and then backed down when Jean was "Do you really want to know?". It was a nice reminder that in that short time they've been scouts they've seen a wall breach, their friends die from Titans AND humans, discovered some of their friends are actually Titans and traitors, killed other troops, been on the run from the government, etc.

Like holy poo poo guys.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Good episode! I liked the reveal that the Commandant was behind the training snafu: good set up. Him holding a candle for Eren’s mom was a gut punch: poor guy never stood a chance...

I wonder who Grisha ate outside the wall or if his amnesia was feigned.

SpartanIvy posted:

It was really dark when the random rookies are asking the 6-month-in crew what they'd seen that made them look like veterans and then backed down when Jean was "Do you really want to know?". It was a nice reminder that in that short time they've been scouts they've seen a wall breach, their friends die from Titans AND humans, discovered some of their friends are actually Titans and traitors, killed other troops, been on the run from the government, etc.

Like holy poo poo guys.

None of that is interesting but here are 3000 words on why I don’t like the into music...
:goonsay:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
What do you guys think of Erin calling Mikasa "nakama"?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
well obviously they're crewmates

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Looks like we got a long hiatus in front of us. At least a month. Boo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
poo poo, did their studio get wrecked?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm not sure, a story popped up on my Google feed that said it's not listed in the Japan TV guide for at least the next 4 weeks. So that's no Venture Bros, Better Call Saul or Attack on Titan to start the week. Stupid hell dimension.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm not sure, a story popped up on my Google feed that said it's not listed in the Japan TV guide for at least the next 4 weeks. So that's no Venture Bros, Better Call Saul or Attack on Titan to start the week. Stupid hell dimension.

It's apparently coming back in 2019.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's similar to what Durarara!! did with its second season, or what both Fate/Zero and Unlimited Blade Works did.

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.

Beefstew posted:

It's apparently coming back in 2019.

Rumor goes around that next part starts in January. Let's hope that show's coming back sooner.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
They originally said it would be a straight-through run. gently caress the writer's strike forever for making the mid-season hiatus a thing. :mad:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I wonder if there will be an episode preview at the end of this week's ep.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

Atleast there's Jojo p5.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

gently caress the writer's strike forever for making the mid-season hiatus a thing. :mad:
tone it down there skippy

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

WELP
Show's going on hiatus until loving April.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
See you all next year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Don't skip the ending.