Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FactsAreUseless posted:

Which one is this

Unity, which had some really cool bits (the customization system and 1:1 city scale in particular) and was mostly a garbage fire otherwise from start to finish.

God drat is it pretty though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Call of Duty 3: There is a Nazi in the first level that dosen't exist until you start the QTE involving him.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
All hud elements were customizable since asscred 1.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The Fallout 76 HUD is just the worst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsqDg1pmIaI

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
On the one hand it's super cool that players can make bits of the hud go away.

On the other that feels like a tacit admission that poo poo has gone too far by default.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

With all HUD elements on it feels like a handholdy thing for idiots. AKA me when I start playing the game for the first time. After two hours I can turn off poo poo I don't need.

Sounds good to me.

Unless the game does immersive HUD like Dead Space, I want all that poo poo cluttering my screen and letting me decide what I want to see. Most big games actually do this nowadays btw.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Somfin posted:

On the other that feels like a tacit admission that poo poo has gone too far by default.

Giving options to players is good. I'll check how the Exploration mode in Asscreed Odyssey works but might want to change back to the way I've been playing in the last decade if it doesn't sit right with me.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

HaB posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress Achievements tied to Online Multiplayer, and in particular - ones which rely on the behavior of online opponents to ANY extent. The WD2 example? There's an Achievement for killing 5 People in Bounty Hunter mode. So basically some other player will show up in your world, with a big Wanted level - he is the HunteD. You then assume the role of HunteR and try to kill them. Simple enough, but - invariably when you even get close to killing someone, or at times, manage to shoot them even ONCE - they will just disconnect. So you waste several minutes chasing him around trying to kill this dickhead and he discos like a sissy. Killing 5 people is fine in say - a deathmatch where there are multiple targets to choose from, but in this - it's just the one guy and I guess people just can't stand the thought of losing THAT MUCH that they will just disconnect if it's going to happen. Fine - play how you want, but don't make relying on other people playing fair the ONLY way to get an Achievement, because they are simply NOT going to play fair.

Is Bounty Hunter a gamemode that both players have to sign up for, or is it like invasions in Dark Souls? If it's the former, then yeah, signing up for something and then bouncing when you start getting dumped on is lovely. I don't like the Gambit mode in Destiny 2, but I don't quit out if I'm losing during my token match for the loot.

If it's like an invasion, and the target just had you show up in their game and try to kill them, then I can't begrudge them that much because invasion PvP loving sucks. I'd disconnect every time it happened in Dark Souls because I don't want to deal with that.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Inco posted:

Is Bounty Hunter a gamemode that both players have to sign up for, or is it like invasions in Dark Souls? If it's the former, then yeah, signing up for something and then bouncing when you start getting dumped on is lovely. I don't like the Gambit mode in Destiny 2, but I don't quit out if I'm losing during my token match for the loot.
You can turn it on/off in the options. If you're the Hunted, joining a different activity ends it but the game just reports it as disconnecting.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You turn into a target when you cause enough chaos, it's like getting a seventh star in GTA, the police are so powerless that they call Batman to catch you.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Schubalts posted:

2050 is on a new set of servers, and if you want to play on them, you have to give up all of your character progress on Defiance, with the ability to rebuy your cosmetic stuff with "refund" tokens they gave out. It was like Secret World: Legends, but with nowhere near as much of a gameplay change, while also being less friendly to existing players.

Post-Early-Rift Trion gonna Trion.

Mang. I loved Trion back at the start. I'm playing on 2050 for now, but I'll probably just give up and play MapleStory 2 or something.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Piell posted:

The Fallout 76 HUD is just the worst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsqDg1pmIaI
I've never bothered looking up anything about this game, but man, that looks awful.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Reposting my fave bad Ubisoft UI.

My god.
Why has no one yet made a game where you play as the T-800 and see everything in Terminator vision with all the game UI stuff fully integrated?

With every dialogue selection having "gently caress you, rear end in a top hat" as the bottom option, like glaring silently in Tyranny.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Vic posted:

With all HUD elements on it feels like a handholdy thing for idiots. AKA me when I start playing the game for the first time. After two hours I can turn off poo poo I don't need.

Sounds good to me.

Unless the game does immersive HUD like Dead Space, I want all that poo poo cluttering my screen and letting me decide what I want to see. Most big games actually do this nowadays btw.

Hell, I even want AC: Odyssey to let me put MORE on the map screen. The map is actually fairly uncluttered, at least on exploration mode, and I'd like to have more than one thing showing up, like undiscovered areas and orichalcum at the same time, so I can learn landmarks easier.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Somfin posted:

In a game like Assassin’s Creed that has systems on top of systems yet still aims for mass appeal, complex UI elements are going to be an inevitability. You want the player to have a ton of information available to them so that they stay engaged and never get lost, but at the same time you lose out on that core simplicity of design. I think customizable HUDs are the best compromise you can make between players who want everything spelled out for them in great detail and those who don’t mind getting lost for awhile. That being said, I think there is a certain beauty to games that are so unified in their artistic vision that having a UI altogether is unnecessary, which is why I love stuff like Shadow of the Colossus, Gone Home, and Hellblade. The common thread there is that they all take a few hours to complete, however. It would be pretty hard for these 100 hour open-world behemoths to get around needing a UI.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Inco posted:

If it's like an invasion, and the target just had you show up in their game and try to kill them, then I can't begrudge them that much because invasion PvP loving sucks. I'd disconnect every time it happened in Dark Souls because I don't want to deal with that.

It's not like an invasion in that I personally don't do anything to trigger it. I will just see "Bounty Hunter Target nearby" and can choose to go try and hunt him if I want to.

That brings up another thing for WD2:

If I am already tracking a mission, stop making me automatically track an online activity when they pop up. I'm already in the middle of something. Don't make me have to go back into my phone and reselect the thing I was already tracking, while giving me updates for some online activity I'm not doing. "You are LOSING THE HACKING TARGET" . Yeah thanks. I'm not actually tracking the hacking target.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Why has no one yet made a game where you play as the T-800 and see everything in Terminator vision with all the game UI stuff fully integrated?

One of the better PS2/360-era Terminator games did this and I remember thinking it was so drat cool.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've never bothered looking up anything about this game, but man, that looks awful.

This was my immediate response as well.
"You start with all SPECIAL at 1" :thunk:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Evilreaver posted:

This was my immediate response as well.
"You start with all SPECIAL at 1" :thunk:

The thread for this super bad looking game is wild too, we're already at people getting called NMA posters and autistic for saying it looks like lukewarm rear end.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Yardbomb posted:

The thread for this super bad looking game is wild too, we're already at people getting called NMA posters and autistic for saying it looks like lukewarm rear end.

Well yeah, what do you expect? They've been locked up in that thread together for like a year now, of course they've loving lost it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

Well yeah, what do you expect? They've been locked up in that thread together for like a year now, of course they've loving lost it.

Just another one of those vault-tec experiments.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

My Lovely Horse posted:

From waaaay back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHgu9a8l0vQ

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

HaB posted:

It's not like an invasion in that I personally don't do anything to trigger it. I will just see "Bounty Hunter Target nearby" and can choose to go try and hunt him if I want to.

What I mean is whether or not your target agreed to be a target. Not just that you choose whether or not to go after them, but whether or not to appear in your (or another's) game at all. Like, if I'm just doing stuff and then some rando from another game session shows up and pops me, I'm gonna get annoyed.

From what others have said, though, it sounds like an optional feature (albeit opt-out), so it does sound like those folks are being poor sports, and that's no fun.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Inco posted:

From what others have said, though, it sounds like an optional feature (albeit opt-out), so it does sound like those folks are being poor sports, and that's no fun.
From the reviews I saw, players only do chip damage until you return fire, so it's very opt in

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why can't I hire whoever I want, Sims 4 Get To Work?!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Dark Aeons really gently caress up the flow of the endgame side content in the FFX rerelease. There are a bunch of power boosts you can get in that game to sort of ease your way into the really tough content, like optional summons or legendary weapons. But in this version half the time you head to a location to get one of those things you get ambushed by a dark aeon along the way, and the only way to access the area is to beat it. Even among the postgame bosses the dark aeons are quite difficult, so now half of the side content is locked behind the hardest poo poo in the game. Frontloading all the grind like that made me just put the game down.

Yardbomb posted:

Fallout fans are somehow the angriest demographic on the internet so this is not surprising.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Fallout fans are somehow the angriest demographic on the internet so this is not surprising.

It's more the people desperately defending it looking awful from people saying "This doesn't even really sound like Fallout" so almost inverse on that one.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

It's more the people desperately defending it looking awful from people saying "This doesn't even really sound like Fallout" so almost inverse on that one.

The game is just one of those multiplayer survival sims, but Fallout, right? Didn't they hear that battle royales were the new fad genre everyone is trying and failing to make a dent in?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

exquisite tea posted:

In a game like Assassin’s Creed that has systems on top of systems yet still aims for mass appeal, complex UI elements are going to be an inevitability. You want the player to have a ton of information available to them so that they stay engaged and never get lost, but at the same time you lose out on that core simplicity of design. I think customizable HUDs are the best compromise you can make between players who want everything spelled out for them in great detail and those who don’t mind getting lost for awhile.

Customizable HUDs are great, but the game has to have a diegetic way to convey the same information, and usually if there's a HUD, there's no alternative. AC1, surprisingly, was pretty good at not needing the HUD and I managed to play my one and only play through without it because you could pretty easily do without the minimap (by looking at the full-sized map once in a while), the weapon wheel (weapons auto-switched contextually and there was a neat little animation that played if you tried to select the weapon that was already selected), the "puppet" controls (because they were useless in the first place) and the health bar (because you never ever died in AC1).

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 20:35 on Oct 10, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
God, yeah, it was so easy to get health back in AC1 I could take on like thirty dudes without a problem.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

Leal posted:

Why can't I hire whoever I want, Sims 4 Get To Work?!

You can, but it requires a bunch of convoluted screwing around, like most things in Sims 4. They can't be members of your household, though. Here's a guide.

Basically you delete all the filler NPCs the game makes as employees and add your own. It's a pain in the rear end but worth it if you don't want some ugly dipshit running your store

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I hopped back into EVE to pass the time on a free clone and be a dirty hi-sec mission runner because my life is meaningless and low-sec gatecamps not letting me get my poo poo out of the low-sec station it was dumped in ages ago are making me grumpy. Gosh darnit I need isk so I can keep pointlessly throwing cruisers at faction warfare.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The real sin in that AC screenshot are the XP and trophy pop-ups.

exquisite tea posted:

That being said, I think there is a certain beauty to games that are so unified in their artistic vision that having a UI altogether is unnecessary, which is why I love stuff like Shadow of the Colossus, Gone Home, and Hellblade. The common thread there is that they all take a few hours to complete, however. It would be pretty hard for these 100 hour open-world behemoths to get around needing a UI.

Dead Space has a great diegetic UI in a relatively big game.

I don't think it's just a matter or size or artistic vision. For instance if you want players to have an idea of how much ammo they have then there aren't many options other than a HUD for most settings.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dead Space has a great diegetic UI in a relatively big game.

I don't think it's just a matter or size or artistic vision. For instance if you want players to have an idea of how much ammo they have then there aren't many options other than a HUD for most settings.

There are however more and less efficient ways of doing things. For example, this was a game from a generation ago:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Are there any of those multiplayer survival sim games that aren't poorly optimised and kinda half assed?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

There are however more and less efficient ways of doing things. For example, this was a game from a generation ago:

An opaque blob with picture of a bullet in it so I know I'm shooting bullets, and the main characters name on it so I know who I'm playing. Perfect.

Comparing HUDs from different games doesn't really work because they can have different mechanics/level design even within the same genre.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Veotax posted:

Haven't all the Assassin's Creed games had that? I didn't play most of the games after 3 but it sure as hell was in the first one and I'm pretty sure it didn't disappear after that.

You can do it in Rogue too. Speaking of which, here's a random screenshot of Rogue's UI, which seems pretty good

And for thread content: why the gently caress does Rogue want me to care about money? It's the easiest resource to get and the hardest to spend, and yet it's the reward from doing so many things.

Also it's padded to hell, even by AC standards. They clearly were trying to reuse assets from Black Flag and III as much as possible, so it's got a short (but decent) main campaign and 3 huge maps full of side content that you will only see a fraction of in the story. It could have been the size of Freedom Cry and lost nothing of importance.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Looks about half.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Vic posted:

An opaque blob with picture of a bullet in it so I know I'm shooting bullets, and the main characters name on it so I know who I'm playing. Perfect.

Comparing HUDs from different games doesn't really work because they can have different mechanics/level design even within the same genre.

That blob is telling you what weapon you have equipped, how much ammo remains, and how much health you have, also being used as an indicator of when your health is low. The reason Leon's name is there is because when you get someone with you, they have their own smaller health meter that tells you how much health they have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Morpheus posted:

That blob is telling you what weapon you have equipped, how much ammo remains, and how much health you have, also being used as an indicator of when your health is low. The reason Leon's name is there is because when you get someone with you, they have their own smaller health meter that tells you how much health they have.

Sure I know all that, but: You change your weapons from the pause menu, you can see your character model and the weapon they're carrying at all times, and the picture shows ammo, not the weapon which means you get the same picture for different weapons.
Once you have someone with you, their smaller blob and position visually differentiates the two characters, and definitely doesn't need a permanent nametag. Also low health warning is nowadays done via red screen outline in a more understandable visual language. The re4 blob pulsates when you run out of ammo, when Ashley gets captured and when you're low on health.

I mean the game's good, and the hud does it's job just fine, but it's not an example of "they got it right back in 2005".