Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

I got that set just before they became unobtainable and it's pure sex.

ALSO!

Deep Discount DVD is having a buy one get one free sale on Lionsgate blu-rays. The Vestron Video blu-ray series is included in that.

...is the Vestron Video release of Return of the Living Dead 3 the uncut version or the R-rated?

I love that movie, but the R-rated version of it is loving butchered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I think I've picked out everything I want but I have one question for anyone who might know:

does the collectors edition of The Thing have a better enough transfer to warrant buying a new copy? I have the old bluray that I got when I was working at Blockbuster, and I saw that this release was from a different transfer with some color changes, but I want to know before I drop $20 on a movie I already own if it's worth it or if I should pick out something else. (I ran into the same issue with Dawn of the Dead, but it doesn't look like there's any appreciable difference between the old and new BR so I didn't bother)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...is the Vestron Video release of Return of the Living Dead 3 the uncut version or the R-rated?

I love that movie, but the R-rated version of it is loving butchered.

It's the uncut version.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

It's the uncut version.

Oh my sweet gently caress yes

I swear to god the uncut version was totally unavailable for like a solid 20+ years outside of FearNET showing it once when they existed (which is how I saw it the first time) and sketchy :filez: VHS rips (which is what I settled for after FearNET took it down)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
What’s the difference between the two cuts? I saw it recently at a triple-feature and thought it was fairly mediocre, but I’m open to a rewatch.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What’s the difference between the two cuts? I saw it recently at a triple-feature and thought it was fairly mediocre, but I’m open to a rewatch.

Well, the R-rated cut has almost no gore whatsoever. RotLD3 is a zombie movie directed by Brian Yuzna. You can probably draw conclusions from there about how the movie is affected by this.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Well, the R-rated cut has almost no gore whatsoever. RotLD3 is a zombie movie directed by Brian Yuzna. You can probably draw conclusions from there about how the movie is affected by this.

I must have seen the uncut version then, because there was definitely a ton of gore.

Just off the top of my head:
- Lowrider dude having his head and spine pulled out
- Riverman getting shot to pieces in the finale
- Julie self-harming throughout the whole movie
- Scientist having his fingers bitten off in the opening scene

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I must have seen the uncut version then, because there was definitely a ton of gore.

Just off the top of my head:
- Lowrider dude having his head and spine pulled out
- Riverman getting shot to pieces in the finale
- Julie self-harming throughout the whole movie
- Scientist having his fingers bitten off in the opening scene

Three out of four of those are definitely unrated-exclusive (I remember going through :filez: versions and trashing them if they didn't have the finger bit in the opening- before I get reported for admitting that, note that even the R-rated version wasn't easy to find before the Vestron release and the unrated version straight up didn't exist outside VHS). The remaining one is still in the R, because you can't really cut it outright, but it's far less graphic.

If it wasn't your bag, it wasn't your bag. I think it's awesome, but a decent amount of that is probably nostalgia, a decent amount of that is probably a love for the Gordon/Yuzna crew, and a decent amount of that is probably the fact that I love weird-rear end movies even if they're not executed all that well and it's hard to get weirder than human-zombie romance.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Three out of four of those are definitely unrated-exclusive (I remember going through :filez: versions and trashing them if they didn't have the finger bit in the opening- before I get reported for admitting that, note that even the R-rated version wasn't easy to find before the Vestron release and the unrated version straight up didn't exist outside VHS). The remaining one is still in the R, because you can't really cut it outright, but it's far less graphic.

If it wasn't your bag, it wasn't your bag. I think it's awesome, but a decent amount of that is probably nostalgia, a decent amount of that is probably a love for the Gordon/Yuzna crew, and a decent amount of that is probably the fact that I love weird-rear end movies even if they're not executed all that well and it's hard to get weirder than human-zombie romance.

There were definitely parts I liked and it may have suffered from playing third in an already long triple-feature night. Maybe I’ll give it another watch. At the very least it’s better than RotLD 2.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

That Shout Factory Herzog collection looks dope, hmmm....

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Man I wish Candyman was included in that Scream Factory sale, that's one of the few horror movies that I don't own that's incredibly good and I wish I did

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

DC Murderverse posted:

I think I've picked out everything I want but I have one question for anyone who might know:

does the collectors edition of The Thing have a better enough transfer to warrant buying a new copy? I have the old bluray that I got when I was working at Blockbuster, and I saw that this release was from a different transfer with some color changes, but I want to know before I drop $20 on a movie I already own if it's worth it or if I should pick out something else. (I ran into the same issue with Dawn of the Dead, but it doesn't look like there's any appreciable difference between the old and new BR so I didn't bother)

Their release of The Thing is an improvement to me (you can see the grain much better on Shout Factory's, I think Universal's has slight DNR), but I'd suggest checking caps-a-holic or DVDbeaver to see how you feel about the differences first. I've heard some people complain their remaster looks too blue/green, but I think it looks pretty good.

e: Actually, it looks like Shout has another 4k remaster of it coming out in a few weeks, so you might want to wait for that instead.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

That Shout Factory Herzog collection looks dope, hmmm....

From what I hear the transfer quality is all over the place in it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

From what I hear the transfer quality is all over the place in it.

Only real gaffe in Shout's set is Nosferatu having a lot of noise reduction while it's perfect on the BFI set.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Only real gaffe in Shout's set is Nosferatu having a lot of noise reduction while it's perfect on the BFI set.

That's too bad, 'cause Nosferatu would be one of the main gets for me there.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Couple of new things coming in January from Shout.
Deadly Force
Suburbia
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
8mm

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
gently caress. There are like 3 or 4 titles in that sale that I bought in the last 6 months. Oh well, still lots of good stuff to consider.

EDIT: said screw it and grabbed Carrie, Misery, and Child’s Play

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 9, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Thinking about Wild at Heart

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I ended up getting Army of Darkness (for like the 8th time), Lord of Illusion, and Prince of Darkness.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

From the Scream Factory sale I grabbed:
Assault on Precinct 13 steelbook
Escape From New York steelbook (Upgrading from StudioCanal Blu)
Prince of Darkness steelbook
The Howling steelbook
Night of the Comet
The Serpent and the Rainbow

$103 in all.

I'll get The Thing steelbook when it comes out, and probably Halloween 2 & 3 at some point. Now if only Shout could get the rights to Big Trouble in Little China I'd be mostly set with my Carpenter collection.

Tempted to get some Vestron stuff from the other sale. I definitely want Class of 1999, and probably Dagon to go with it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
So, just a heads-up in case this hasn't been posted, but Batman: The Complete Animated Series is getting a region B release, in a 12-disc set that includes the films Mask of the Phantasm and Mr Freeze: Sub-zero. You can pre-order it on UK Amazon.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Batman-The-Complete-Animated-Series-Blu-ray/211654/

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

That's too bad, 'cause Nosferatu would be one of the main gets for me there.

The BFI set is exquisite, although I think some of the films are missing compared to the Shout set. I managed to get the BFI box for $80AU a while back and it's undoubtedly one of the best purchases I've made.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

The BFI set is exquisite, although I think some of the films are missing compared to the Shout set. I managed to get the BFI box for $80AU a while back and it's undoubtedly one of the best purchases I've made.

Yeah, the only thing I'd miss in the BFI set would be My Best Fiend, which has some wild footage. Not as essential as a nice cut of Nosferatu though.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Well I just ordered the Warlock collection. I've never seen Warlock in widescreen so I'm pretty excited. Picked out Return of the Living Dead 3 as my free blu ray.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

And now Arrow has a sale going:
https://arrowfilms.com/shop/arrow-video-halloween-sale/

FYI, they list the region code on the details pages for each title. A lot are A/B or A/B/C.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

FYI, they list the region code on the details pages for each title. A lot are A/B or A/B/C.

I shan't be dashed upon the rocks by your siren song!

So it seems only to list the prices in GBP and also only refer to releases as region B. I checked this against several movies I know to have US and UK releases. I really don't understand why Arrow films doesn't have a US site or at least lets you filter by region.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 10, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Arrow's cover art :allears:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Stop with the sales. My wallet can only take so much abuse. :negative:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Sweet. Picked up Lifeforce, Tenebrae and Frankenhooker.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Got myself a copy of Vigil, The Day of the Jackal, The 'Burbs, The People Under the Stairs and Dark Water.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People under the stairs is so underrated.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Dark Water is showing as region B but I could have sworn they had a region free or A version?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I'm not seeing how to get the Region A versions. Something like Society for example has an all regions version but is only listed as Region B on the Arrow Video website.

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 10, 2018

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

RichterIX posted:

Dark Water is showing as region B but I could have sworn they had a region free or A version?

Blu-ray.com says it's A+B

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Impulse bought the UHDs of Evil Dead and Halloween today. Haven't seen either in over 10 years and I'm just blown away by the clarity . Especially Halloween, that is one crisp transfer.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Blu-ray.com says it's A+B

This is the best place to check the actual region coding on their UK releases, their web store doesn't sell the US versions. They will say region B on the website and on the disk itself but sometimes are not. Anything that's been released in both regions should be safe, and some of the ones they've put out just in the UK aren't locked. For example I have their UK only release of Shivers, it's listed on their site as region B only, but it's not and I just watched it on a US PS4 last week.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

Everything I click on says Region B. Are you saying that they'll actually work in a US Blu player? Or is it just anything I want?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It’s the same for some BFI releases.

It Happened Here is marked as B, but it seems all region.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Casimir Radon posted:

Everything I click on says Region B. Are you saying that they'll actually work in a US Blu player? Or is it just anything I want?

I think blu-ray.com is the best way to do it besides maybe skimming forums:

FancyMike posted:

This (blu-ray.com) is the best place to check the actual region coding on their UK releases, their web store doesn't sell the US versions. They will say region B on the website and on the disk itself but sometimes are not. Anything that's been released in both regions should be safe, and some of the ones they've put out just in the UK aren't locked. For example I have their UK only release of Shivers, it's listed on their site as region B only, but it's not and I just watched it on a US PS4 last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Bought Pulse and Dark Water! Puller is justed as region free and you guys pointed out Dark Water's blu-ray.com entry so I should be good! I'm stoked, I've wanted to see both of these in decent quality for forever.