Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The sooner people realize the truth, namely, that there was only one Star Wars movie that's canon - 1980's Flash Gordon starring Reb Brown, Max Von Sydow, and Topol - while everything else is retcons and fanfics, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The sooner people realize the truth, namely, that there was only one Star Wars movie that's canon - the one which came out in 1977 - while everything else is retcons and fanfics, the better.

This is so true, and not only that, you should only watch the theatrical version where it is literally called Star Wars, not Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

A fair compromise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqVgrkmRF8Y

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Reb Brown wasn't in Flash Gordon. It was Sam J. Jones.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

My opinion about Star Wars is that pretending to be a cool space knight with a laser sword is pretty fun also spaceship dogfights are neat.

I am aware that this is a controversial opinion.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kim Justice posted:

Content~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOqj0F4dBDY

I really like this guy, he's so nice and sweet. He's Joel, the Last Gamer, and he has the world's biggest game collection (like, verified) - but all his fam are in his videos and they play everything and it's all good and he has an arcade in his house...like, obviously he's as rich as Croesus but he's a lovely fella who isn't like, overly protective of having this insane collection or anything. Anyway, this is his latest vid where he's got Xavier Woods, Kofi Kingston and AJ Styles in his Game House (yes, it's a Game House)...it's just chill and nice and one of the various reasons why our retro gaming community is all pretty good at the end of the day and not filled with dickheads. We just do chill vids instead.

This will presumably all be on UpUpDownDown soon too, which will hopefully give him a decent and well deserved sub hit.
I don't want to detract from Star Souls chat, but jesus what a sweet house.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

RareAcumen posted:

I know it's not really a review but since the topics have begun to tilt towards the internet's forever topics of Star Wars and Dark Souls, I'll drop it anyway.

Lazy Purple has returned for a while now and he's been making delightful videos on how fun the TF2 classes are and I enjoy them.

Newest one hasn't been added to a playlist yet though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8g0z8yZ6FU

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4OKpRyd0J46Vfl2a0sbo56Vak3IFKcT3

I refuse to believe that Lazy Purple is making content again.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Reb Brown wasn't in Flash Gordon. It was Sam J. Jones.

I'm not sure why I conflated the two. Huh.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Testekill posted:

I refuse to believe that Lazy Purple is making content again.

He came back like 10 months ago and he's been making good stuff every 2 months or so. This is a good place to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IQgRifoSko

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

OmanyteJackson posted:

Any Dark Souls discourse is good dark souls discourse.

Dark Souls 2 best game

I actually just finished DS2: SotFS around a week ago, and I liked it pretty well. I don't like it as much as DS1, but it experimented with some different things. At this point, the only game I haven't played is DS3, and I've got it installed. I've just been waiting until I get enough free time to sit down and start it.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, especially for DS1.

There's no clear-cut [E: better] alternative to a shield. What are the other off-hand options? Dual-wielding sucks, so that's out. Magic is neat but optional, so you don't necessarily want a casting item in your offhand. Parrying weapons serve a similar purpose to shields with a slightly different focus. Carrying nothing reduces your weight but reduces your defensive options.

That one thing that DS2 does better than DS1; it makes dual wielding and unconventional weapon setups a lot more viable.

If you hold up Bloodborne as promoting the notion that you shouldn't use shields in Soulsborne, it falls apart because of mixture of reasons. You brought up weight, and that's one of the first issues. Now you might say, "but BB has a weight system", and you'd be half-right. Bloodborne did have a weight system, which would affect the speed of your stamina regen. However, later patches removed the weight system, so stamina is no longer affected (I think the weight system might still be in there, but all it affects is how much damage you take when you fall). Because of that, you have no weight restrictions in BB. You can wear all metal armor and use heavy weapons like the Kirkhammer or Ludwig's Holy Blade, but you still dodge at the same speed. In Souls, your equip load affects your roll, so unless you use something like Havel's Ring or really pump Strength, you can't get a really fast roll. At that point, having a 100% reduction shield or greatshield is a lot more crucial, especially if you're wielding a heavy weapon as well.

The other issue, though, is in regards to lock-on. I know you might say, "Oh, you don't need to lock-on to enemies, you can just tilt the right analog stick and move the camera." There's two issues with that. The first is that depending on the size of the enemy and the weapon you're using, you need to lock on to hit them. If you're trying to hit something like a crystal lizard, or, I dunno, those slug things in BB, you have to lock on to pivot your aim down to the ground to hit them, especially if you're using something like a thrusting sword, where you aren't using sweeps. However, the other issue is with directly related to Bloodborne. BB is different from the Souls games in that you don't only have a roll, but you also have the Quickstep. The thing is, you only use the quickstep if you're locked onto an enemy. Otherwise, you just do a roll. With the quickstep, you can dodge to the left-or-right of an enemy, while still keeping yourself facing towards them. BB makes you a lot more agile than you are in Souls, and I think that dramatically affects how you approach enemies.

There's also the caveat of the weapons. In Souls, you can two-hand weapons which make them deal more damage and swing faster than if one-handed (depending on the weapon). In Bloodborne, you have the transforming weapons, and what's different about those is that they transform. At first, I just figured it was equivalent to two-handing, but the thing is that you can transform weapons as part of a combo. You can stun an enemy with the Kirkhammer blade, then immediately hit L1 and smash the enemy with the hammer block before transforming it. Plus, you also get specific moves when attacking or transforming your weapon after a dodge. You can't really do anything like that with two-handing in Souls, apart from power-stancing, which I didn't even know was a thing until after I finished the game.

Finally, if I'm being really pedantic, there is technically a shield in Bloodborne that's useful. You might say it's cheating, but The Old Hunters DLC gives you the Loch Shield, and while I didn't use it, I have heard it can be extremely useful in the fight against Orphan of Kos as a way of blocking his lightning rather than attempting to dodge it.

...:bloodborne:

stillvisions posted:

The world has plenty of shields available but nobody in their right mind would ever use one. PLOT HOLE!! *ding*

Gwyn ex machina *ding*

You get on an elevator at the top of a windmill in the middle of valley full of fart gas, but instead of going down, it takes you up, to some kind giant castle surrounded by lava, despite the geography not indicating any place where this castle could reasonably be located. *ding*

Oh, but I guess it's like that because time and reality is all warped and falling apart or something, so I guess it's okay. *unding*

FINAL SIN COUNT: 1st (Because while the two cancel out, it's called Scholar of the First Sin)

FATE: We got Dark Souls Remastered instead of Demon's Souls Remastered (I don't know, this joke is over)

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

OmanyteJackson posted:

I get what your talking about and in a broad sense, saying that "This is how you enjoy X" is mostly not helpful. That said if you understand what aspects of a game a person enjoys it can be pretty helpful to prime them on how to best get that experience from that game. So more "If you want to best experience the lore/story do this" or "if you want to test your skill, do this". Dark Souls is pretty great because of this, you can get hundreds of different youtube channels saying "This is the way to play the game" it's pretty awesome.

that's essentially my point though, there's so many different ways to play dark souls and everyone has their version, we all find ours, and if it's not your kinda game I doubt that finding the canonical "right way" would ever help

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

remember when padme's reaction to anakin going psycho and murdering a bunch of people was to say 'it's ok people get mad sometimes'

real great character writing right there

padme is clearly a centrist so that seems like good character writing to me, broham

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

Do not even ask posted:

padme is clearly a centrist so that seems like good character writing to me, broham

excellent portrayal of a politician ready and willing to agree to anything

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

remember when padme's reaction to anakin going psycho and murdering a bunch of people was to say 'it's ok people get mad sometimes'

real great character writing right there

I mean look how people are treating George W. Bush

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The LazyPurple videos are great because they make me want to play TF2.

They are also bad for the same reason.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Roth posted:

The LazyPurple videos are great because they make me want to play TF2.

They are also bad for the same reason.

Same here! I miss it. But between the abundance of particle effects now with unusuals on hats, taunts and weapons and my laptop being mediocre even when I first started playing it like 5 years ago or whatever, means I can't touch it anymore. Also Valve not having a solid structure for people to be motivated to keep working on the game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have tried multiple times to get back into TF2 after playing it religiously in 2009 but I can't do it. It's changed too much that even trying to play on OG stock servers isn't fun anymore. There is too much stuff clutteringnup the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Kill tracking and killstreak weapons were the final nails in the coffin for me. They flushed any remaining integrity of the game design straight down the toilet.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

BOOSness Hammocks posted:

Mine was just a joke about why someone would be hesitant to click on a video with a flash-animated dapper cartoon speaking, as those are usually the Sir Rational Top Hat types.

same, and you're misunderstanding, it's not that it's an avatar generally, it's the specific kind of avatar. like shaun called this one out, it's Unusual Thing Wearing A Suit

but in addition to that joke

i've never seen a video here that I've wanted to click on less than "NO, WE WILL NOT SHUT UP ABOUT PLOT HOLES"

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

lots of people who do political things just don't necessarily want to put their actual face on it.

Not surprising. at this point [insert noun]-in-a-suit is dogwhistle for gangly beard-o who mouth breaths in the back of the classroom.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dabir posted:

same, and you're misunderstanding, it's not that it's an avatar generally, it's the specific kind of avatar. like shaun called this one out, it's Unusual Thing Wearing A Suit

i've never seen a video here that I've wanted to click on less than "NO, WE WILL NOT SHUT UP ABOUT PLOT HOLES"

See like I am interested in none of those guys' opinions. They all look smug and/or edgy and if I wanted smug, edgy opinions, I would go back in time and ask high school me.

Here's someone whose opinions I'd want:

Their suit may not be as well-tailored, but they look like they'll share their opinions in a much more friendly way, and they just generally seem like they're in a good emotional place in life.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dabir posted:

Nazi Zoidberg bothers me the most out of that because a) who wants to be Zoidberg and b) Zoidberg is arguably an antisemitic stereotype.

Also dapperton (the one with the Jason goalie mask done up in sick flames) is the worst, as Kim says, as his drawings of his idea suit self are a fit version of himself in a clean version of his condominium where he has a gigantic dick that is frequently visible and also decorated with tons of machine guns and sacks of gold with dollar signs on them.

It�s like he commissions his art from a high-school kid sitting bored in geometry class.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Dabir posted:

I thought I knew a lot of these accounts but I only recognise 4 of the 20 by avatar, and one of them I'm not sure about lol.

I've said it before and I'll say it again even though I've gotten poo poo for it, the only one of that lot there who at any point has had something worth listening to is Armored Skeptic. His actual skepticism/taking down conspiracy theories stuff is usually quite good and entertaining. There are certain subjects that he should steer well away from mind, such as U.S. Politics. That didn't go well xD

For the other 19, I wonder this...between them all, how many videos about Riley Dennis have they made? I mean, I don't really watch Riley myself as she can be a little much for my milquetoast, spoiled I LIKE STUFF ways but come on, stop it jeez - you don't have to make a video about her every time she breathes

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dapperton is an unironic ANCAP, which is worth all of the ridicule on it's own.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kim Justice posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again even though I've gotten poo poo for it, the only one of that lot there who at any point has had something worth listening to is Armored Skeptic. His actual skepticism/taking down conspiracy theories stuff is usually quite good and entertaining. There are certain subjects that he should steer well away from mind, such as U.S. Politics. That didn't go well xD

It's ironic that so many of the alt-right and alt-right adjacent came from the Skeptic community, since they would have already seen all the same issues the anti-SJW junk has in the form of anti-evolution and anti-climate bullshit. So many are perfectly logical and reasonable, until they get into the softer sciences or areas that involve cultural things, at which point they just stop thinking critically or trusting scientists and go straight to gut feelings.

But then smart people are extra easy to fool because they're really good at quickly reasoning themselves into whatever position they want to believe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrX-afnve78

Bennett looks at the TV adaptation of Hellsing. No, not the good version. The other one. About the only thing the TV show has going for it is the really good dubbing which carried over into Hellsing Ultimate, and the soundtrack. But otherwise it just looks ugly.

The early 2000s were a dark time for anime with the rise of digital colouring.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Puppy Time posted:

It's ironic that so many of the alt-right and alt-right adjacent came from the Skeptic community, since they would have already seen all the same issues the anti-SJW junk has in the form of anti-evolution and anti-climate bullshit. So many are perfectly logical and reasonable, until they get into the softer sciences or areas that involve cultural things, at which point they just stop thinking critically or trusting scientists and go straight to gut feelings.

But then smart people are extra easy to fool because they're really good at quickly reasoning themselves into whatever position they want to believe.

All they were looking for was a way to feel smart and put someone else down: creationists were just the easiest target. If they could do that while preserving their own petty prejudices or even feel smart while preserving them, that’s an easy choice for a doughy white boy.

The “skeptic community” actually ruptured and died a bit before gamergate, or at least began collapsing at that time, as any voice for diversity or mild criticism of sexual misconduct came under incredible fire. What happened to Rebecca Watson was like the Spanish Civil War for gamergate. Although gamergate was the Spanish Civil War for our current problems. So like the Boer War or something?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's a shame because when everyone was focused on fighting/mocking creationism, the skeptics community was an alright pro-science place that had the potential to help a lot of angry young atheists (including myself) find a bit of peace and become slightly normal, if goony, adults. Like the Contrapoints video on Peterson said, generally the left doesn't provide a lot of structure to actually tell you how to live your life. For a brief time the skeptic communities organized social events and offered a sense of community and direction for people who needed it, and it was generally united as socially left thanks to pro-LGBT stuff.

But there was always an undercurrent of Islamaphobia, sexism and generally toxic levels of smugness. Once the creationists retreated, a lot of people wanted a new great enemy to dunk on and that was when the bigotry and sexism just came out into the open.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

More like Armored Moron. Heh.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

BOOSness Hammocks posted:

The “skeptic community” actually ruptured and died a bit before gamergate, or at least began collapsing at that time, as any voice for diversity or mild criticism of sexual misconduct came under incredible fire. What happened to Rebecca Watson was like the Spanish Civil War for gamergate. Although gamergate was the Spanish Civil War for our current problems. So like the Boer War or something?

It's not really dead, just not as excessively online or devoted to brigading or owning. There's still a community doing regular skeptical stuff, but it's mostly either the same old evolution fight or climate change now. From what I've seen, it's a lot better about treating women like human beings and all, which is cool.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Wait, there's going to a Charmed Reboot on the 14th?

I've started seeing ads for it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yes, and the Charmed Ones are not happy about it!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Bennett looks at the TV adaptation of Hellsing. No, not the good version. The other one. About the only thing the TV show has going for it is the really good dubbing which carried over into Hellsing Ultimate, and the soundtrack. But otherwise it just looks ugly.

Part of it is that at the time only the first two volumes of the manga existed, so past the mansion assault they had to start writing their own plot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Part of it is that at the time only the first two volumes of the manga existed, so past the mansion assault they had to start writing their own plot.

Oh absolutely but like Sage says, the lack of source material to adapt doesn't mean that the show must automatically be terrible. But Hellsing the tv series was a rush job in every sense and it is a textbook victim of the do or die mentality of the anime industry. If you're not putting out a weekly episode you are screwed.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Doug Walker posted a new video about...good Stephen King movies. It's not great (a bit clickbaity not oh well), but also surprisingly not lovely.

Goes to show that even he can be rather decent when he's doing asubject he cares about and he's not trapped in the screeching persona that sadly brings in big views.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Arcsquad12 posted:

At least Hellsing had a really strong OST going for it. I kinda wish Hellsing Ultimate had gone for the same vibe instead of the generic orchestral stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vanderdeath posted:

At least Hellsing had a really strong OST going for it. I kinda wish Hellsing Ultimate had gone for the same vibe instead of the generic orchestral stuff.

While I like the jazz of the TV series and the OP, the orchestral tracks actually fit pretty well considering how utterly horrifying and brutally dark most of Alucard's actions are for the final stretch of the OVA's.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 11, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I am still in a low level shock that something like Hellsing exists. Nazi Vampires and homicidal Catholic Crusaders versus douchebag anime Dracula is not something you would ever think about, but it exists. I love the abridged series but I'm still amazed at how audacious the actual source material is. It's B movie schlock given a big budget and going completely off the rails.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

I am still in a low level shock that something like Hellsing exists. Nazi Vampires and homicidal Catholic Crusaders versus douchebag anime Dracula is not something you would ever think about, but it exists. I love the abridged series but I'm still amazed at how audacious the actual source material is. It's B movie schlock given a big budget and going completely off the rails.

The abridged series is a masterpiece in its own right, and I'm amazed they've actually managed to keep the annual releases going with the same cast for nearly a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

While I like the jazz of the TV series and the OP, the orchestral tracks actually fit pretty well considering how utterly horrifying and brutally dark most of Alucard's actions are for the final stretch of the OVA's.

That's a good point. The entire Battle of London was brutal as gently caress and the jazzy stuff would've clashed. Also (big spoilers for Hellsing) pressing F for my boy Alexander "gently caress VAMPIRES" Anderson. Rest in power