Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

shut up blegum posted:

I saw a vid on YouTube earlier that was titled something like '11 reasons why we'll never finish RDR2'. Didn't click it, but it's kinda crazy that people are already 'complaining' that the game is too big :confused:

I never touch Youtube videos that are just bullet point lists. You can't seem to go a single page without getting recommended one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Zaa Boogie posted:

I thought that video was less complaining and more "I'm going to be so busy just doing side stuff I won't even touch the main mission! :D"

Oh yeah, that is another way to look at it I guess. Like I said, didn't watch the video.
I want to go into the game as spoiler free as possible and god damnit, why is the 26th still so far away :argh:

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

shut up blegum posted:

Oh yeah, that is another way to look at it I guess. Like I said, didn't watch the video.
I want to go into the game as spoiler free as possible and god damnit, why is the 26th still so far away :argh:

You’ve waited eight years, you can do another 17 days. I believe in you!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I absolutely will not finish this game, just like I never finished RDR1, or GTA 5 or BOTW or Morrowind. I'm looking forward to this destroying my life for like 2 weeks though :v:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Cultural Marxist posted:

You’ve waited eight years, you can do another 17 days. I believe in you!

Now I just feel old :bahgawd:

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

el oso posted:

I got the same email - did you order it during one of the discounts periods (E3 I think mine was)? Wondering if they're just trying to get people to cancel pre-orders that were discounted. Same thing happened to me with Spider-Man.

I did pre-order during E3 2017. However, I updated the shipping option on my order and it now says it will arrive on the Friday so we'll see. Had to pay $5 extra for shipping.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

shut up blegum posted:

Now I just feel old :bahgawd:

Ah. Sorry about that.

Still, if you really want to feel old, you should do that “subtract your age from the year you were born to discover a year that has a historical event that is closer in time to your birth than today” thing. That’ll really make you feel old.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
RDR1 is actually one of the few games I 100% completed. Considering it was open world as well that's loving amazing for me.

I just hope RDR2 is at least close to as fun. (Tiny bit sad it's prequel I know why but still)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Rdr1 was set in like 1910 or something though right? And then the Jack bit just as ww1 is starting iirc. Going prequel gives them way more scope to go proper wild west, the setting seemed to be pushing it for the supposed date in the first game as it was.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I couldnt have done another game qith that kid as the character. To me he was as much a metaphor for the death of the west and the old ways as any of the other plot points. But also real annoying

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I went looking around for prices on guns in 1899 the other night to get a feel for the in game economy, what with playing cards for cents, gator eggs being a high risk item that net you $2.50 a pop, and a few interviews and previews stating the game will have real world period accurate prices for items. Closest I got was a Sears-Roebuck cataloge from 1902 that someone took pics of with their cell phone.

Pump shotguns for double the price of a double barrel

Various ammo prices

EXPLOSIVE AMMO CANNOT BE SENT BY MAIL

Hell of a jump in price from the first shotgun to these, holy crap:

A Sharps rifle for $3, yes please

Rockstar release the in game catalog so we can start window shopping already :v:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 9, 2018

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

That is really cool

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Ah, just the rifle for cyclists!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ThomasPaine posted:

Rdr1 was set in like 1910 or something though right? And then the Jack bit just as ww1 is starting iirc. Going prequel gives them way more scope to go proper wild west, the setting seemed to be pushing it for the supposed date in the first game as it was.

Oh yeah that's what I mean by I totally get why they went back instead of forward. And I also agree that the end of RDR1 was a metaphor for the death of the "wild" west as well. I just like the Marston's.

Also are those in game ads for firearms? Or just period specific ones?

Nevermind actually read post I'm dumb.

Also that price jump on the shotgun makes sense for that brand

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 10, 2018

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

How! posted:

Ah, just the rifle for cyclists!

Bicycle guns were a thing for a while and extremely radical :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMbelqq1i5E

ZeusCannon posted:

Also that price jump on the shotgun makes sense for that brand

Yeah, especially once you start throwing damascus barrels on.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Capn Beeb posted:

I wonder how big of a deal any of this is, considering the emphasis on wearing the right gear and riding the right horse as the game dictates it.

In RDR1 I had the War Horse from the beginning, because of some preorder bonus I think. It looked awesome and rode great. I finished that game never having 'progressed' from a lovely mangy horse to a better courser. I think for RDR2 I will just not pre-order and get the actual journey of finding better horses every now and then.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Sioux posted:

In RDR1 I had the War Horse from the beginning, because of some preorder bonus I think. It looked awesome and rode great. I finished that game never having 'progressed' from a lovely mangy horse to a better courser. I think for RDR2 I will just not pre-order and get the actual journey of finding better horses every now and then.
Even if you didn't preorder, you'd get one of the top tier horses from one of the early MacFarlane ranch missions so you didn't have to use a lovely horse for very long. Nowadays you just start with the War Horse by default because the preorder items were unlocked for everyone in the last RDR patch.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Welp I was all fired up for fallout 76 but I think I'll be spending this fall playing RDR2 instead, this game looks amazing.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Cultural Marxist posted:

Absolutely agree. Sadly I don�t speak enough to Croatian Dutch(?) to confirm it from the source magazine, but if I come across any non-LegacyKilla confirmation I�ll let you know.

e: here�s an image of the page from the magazine �Gameplay�. Google translate suggests the NPCs direction giving is the bottom right text

and page 2 where the map stuff continues in the text in the top left, beneath the orange box.

Heads up on this.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Tercio posted:

Heads up on this.

In which case, my bad, I’ve edited my previous post. Sorry thread.

Cultural Marxist fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 10, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ThomasPaine posted:

It was set in 1911 and the epilogue is in 1914.

The game sort of goes through all three major types of western film. The initial missions are in a classic western setting with ghost towns in the desert, stagecoaches, rural farms where you have to save the horses from a barn fire, and traveling snake oil salesmen. The second part of the game in Mexico is based on 60s and 70s westerns like The Wild Bunch and the Dollars series by Sergio Leone. The third part is based on dark revisionist westerns from the 90s and 2000s like Open Range and The Missing, along with some Wild Bunch influences with the encroaching of modern technology like cars, semi-automatic pistols, and machine guns.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

chitoryu12 posted:

The game sort of goes through all three major types of western film. The initial missions are in a classic western setting with ghost towns in the desert, stagecoaches, rural farms where you have to save the horses from a barn fire, and traveling snake oil salesmen. The second part of the game in Mexico is based on 60s and 70s westerns like The Wild Bunch and the Dollars series by Sergio Leone. The third part is based on dark revisionist westerns from the 90s and 2000s like Open Range and The Missing, along with some Wild Bunch influences with the encroaching of modern technology like cars, semi-automatic pistols, and machine guns.
If you listen to the RDR theme on the OST or just pay attention to the soundtrack stings while playing the game, you can also notice how the main melody uses different lead instruments in each part of the game. For example, the Mexico version features those spaghetti western horns prominently. I always thought that was a really cool touch.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh wow I can't wait to drop 20 bucks on a Winchester and rob a stagecoach with it

edit: and then afterwards come home and play RDR2 :v:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tercio posted:

Heads up on this.

Sad.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

update: who knows

https://twitter.com/Charalanahzard/status/1050064419919523842

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Nice. Playing BOTW hard mode with minimal UI has prepared me for this day.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
GTA V was like that but nobody noticed there either.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zigmidge posted:

GTA V was like that but nobody noticed there either.

With directions? They still only did GPS.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

You were given a neighbourhood and a street name which is more than enough to find anything.

Here's how many people will actually play the game with no hud no radar: Me and maybe 2 of the half dozen people who said they would so far.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zigmidge posted:

You were given a neighbourhood and a street name which is more than enough to find anything.

I mean if you knew the streets, sure. Not very useful if you're new in town.

quote:

Here's how many people will actually play the game with no hud no radar: Me and maybe 2 of the half dozen people who said they would so far.

I'm probably going to do a traditional run first, then replay with no HUD, no radar, first-person only.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am excited about the first person mode and hope it's fun to play the game like that.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if they’ve left in GTA V’s best feature, the ability to needlessly faceplant on demand.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cultural Marxist posted:

I wonder if they’ve left in GTA V’s best feature, the ability to needlessly faceplant on demand.

probaly. but now you can do it much more refined/improved first person.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Zigmidge posted:

I'm going to play no hud no radar first-person.

On PC :mad:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

I mean if you knew the streets, sure. Not very useful if you're new in town.

Exactly how detailed do you think they're going to make vocal directions? Gamers get lost in games that paint the way on the fukken road itself.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'll play first person sometimes probably

Almost definitely turning my HUD off though, I love that poo poo

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I am going to play it on an xbox w/ two birds to the sky cos gently caress tha world.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

do we have any word on what RDR2 Online is going to be like

I'm assuming like the first but I'm also curious on how they're going to mash in all the poo poo that is still selling horrifically well in GTA Online

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

do we have any word on what RDR2 Online is going to be like

I'm assuming like the first but I'm also curious on how they're going to mash in all the poo poo that is still selling horrifically well in GTA Online

I think all we know is that it'll be like GTA Online in style, but will remain grounded in reality (so no jet-powered horses or Hot Wheels cart racing tracks).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Cultural Marxist posted:

I'll be saddened if that weren't the case.