Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Starfox is a series with like 1 good game that came out over 20 years ago, I don't get why people care

It was one of the best N64 games ever, which came out when we were all kids. It's nostalgia BRO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Starfox needs to go back to it's best installment ever...... Starfox Adventures.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hot take: Starfox was never good.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Make a (S)NES style sidescrolling shooter, put Star Fox in it, release it for 10 bucks

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tactics ogre but star fox

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'd still take Starfox 64 over every Sonic game ever. In fact just remake the SNES game with modern grafix and sell it for like 24.99 on the eshop, it'll sell shitloads

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah but Sonic games are also terrible so is that really saying much?

content
Feb 13, 2014

Played Starfox 64 a couple days ago. Still good.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I could be playing Super Dodgeball right now, and I'm not. Truly this is hellworld.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hot take: Starfox was never good.

It's not a hot take it it's correct.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this article about Star Fox is mostly correct in how the well-regarded games (SNES, N64) and also the weird ones (DS, WiiU) always relied on gimmicks i.e. FX Chips, rumble pack, touchscreens)

https://www.dromble.com/2014/03/15/why-rebooting-star-fox-isnt-easy-for-nintendo/

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
maybe it's kinda like wanting a new stunt race fx

Spellman
May 31, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Maybe we wrote left to right for this very reason. I don't know, but clearly it's deeply ingrained within us, and helps explain why the above clip is so unsettling.

This applies to almost anything. Left to right, or left facing right indicates forwardness

An example of this as it applies to logo design: Most logos face right, or imply rightward movement so that the product doesn't imply going backwards, and when a popular brand decides to break that convention, it stands out

It's partly a convention but it's also built into people naturally since we're typically right handed

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
like that dumb reverse flag on army uniforms

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Relevant Tangent posted:

I could be playing Super Dodgeball right now, and I'm not. Truly this is hellworld.

Yeah actually how do you play this? I figured out passing and throwing, but I can't reliably jump and I don't know how to catch. Golf also seems like it has a proper difficulty curve.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Fremry posted:

Starfox needs to go back to it's best installment ever...... Starfox Adventures.

I had this on Gamecube back in the day and I liked it then. I was only 11 or 12 when it came out so I just saw it as Zelda + Starfox.

I liked it up until I had to walk across a bridge to an NPC in order to turn in a quest. Fox clipped through the bridge and died every time. I could find no way to get around it.

It was heart breaking.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Starfox is good!! fuckers!!! it’s fun to shoot stuff and it looks cool and has good music. the n64 one is also pretty good.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah actually how do you play this? I figured out passing and throwing, but I can't reliably jump and I don't know how to catch. Golf also seems like it has a proper difficulty curve.

Jumping is A + B if I remember right.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The Bloop posted:

It certainly doesn't start with the red ring if its a save state

Save states are just dumps of the system's memory, so there's no reason they couldn't edit it after the fact to an otherwise impossible state.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

does it really start in the middle of the song loop. that’s awful. if you quit and reset the game, is there a save file?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want to but Starlink but I feel like it’ll be smart to wait since it’s an Ubisoft game so that means it’ll be half price a month after release.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Save states are just dumps of the system's memory, so there's no reason they couldn't edit it after the fact to an otherwise impossible state.

So why wouldn't they hack it so the music started at the beginning if they were already mucking about with it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Nintendo: hey have this free cute thing.

Goons: I can't believe how shoddy this is. It's kind of an insult to me personally, frankly

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Heath posted:

Goons: I can't believe how shoddy this is. It's kind of an insult to me personally, frankly

This free thing you got to pay for is a bold take

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

I want to but Starlink but I feel like it’ll be smart to wait since it’s an Ubisoft game so that means it’ll be half price a month after release.

In most cases you would be right, but Nintendo digital sales take a long time (for bigger titles) to hit that percentage. You won't have better luck with the physical version either because of the toy DLC and higher initial price.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Oh yeah hey good point. There's plenty to check out in between. Mario + Rabbids was in sales pretty regularly just a few months later.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ragequit posted:

In most cases you would be right, but Nintendo digital sales take a long time (for bigger titles) to hit that percentage. You won't have better luck with the physical version either because of the toy DLC and higher initial price.

Toys-to-life bundles usually aren’t worth poo poo pretty quickly. I constantly see Skylanders bundles in clearance.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Heath posted:

that’s right. nintendo should end now. this half assed zelda mod is the last straw.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ragequit posted:

But you could still buy physical (just game) used from someone that wanted to keep the toy and doesn't like the game.

Does physical work if you have no toys the same as digital? I kind of assume they are identical and you can use toys or menu driven swaps in either version.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Modded Zelda wasn't one of the announced NES titles, so I think it's fair to call it free. No one paid for online with the expectation that they'd get this.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Modded Zelda wasn't one of the announced NES titles, so I think it's fair to call it free. No one paid for online with the expectation that they'd get this.

So anything past the 20 announced title is free despite having to pay money to get them

Interesting

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Toys-to-life bundles usually aren’t worth poo poo pretty quickly. I constantly see Skylanders bundles in clearance.

To really put it into perspective, I recently found a bunch of Lego Dimensions packages dirt cheap and bought three for my nephew. It's loving Lego. That poo poo hardly ever goes on sale over here.

But I'm interested in Starlink. If the reviews and impressions are good I'll get it for full price. That Starwing model looks really nice compared to Skylanders and Amiibo figures.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

So anything past the 20 announced title is free despite having to pay money to get them

Interesting

I mean they announced the expected titles for the next few months. This wasn't on there. :shrug:

I'm probably not going to play it though so who cares what I think

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Inferior Third Season posted:

The first level literally forces you to do all of the moves, and there aren't that many combinations of buttons on an NES controller, so it takes about thirty seconds to trial-and-error your way to figuring out all the controls. If I was going to write a textbook on game design, this would be one of my primary examples of a good tutorial.

Mega Man X would like a word with you...

Anyway, speaking of Mega Man, having some regrets over buying Mega Man 11. Not necessarily due to the game itself, because it's great, it's just really short for the price. The double gear system practically feels like a cheat mode though.

I get it, MM11 is probably a game I'll come back to and play several more times over the years, but it feels like I paid way too much for a 4 hour game. Even though I think I paid $32 with my prime discount, I can't help but feel like for $15 you could get MM Legacy Collection 1 and 2, or the X collection, and have more hours of fun for the same amount of money.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What titty game is this?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Mega Man X would like a word with you...

Anyway, speaking of Mega Man, having some regrets over buying Mega Man 11. Not necessarily due to the game itself, because it's great, it's just really short for the price. The double gear system practically feels like a cheat mode though.

I get it, MM11 is probably a game I'll come back to and play several more times over the years, but it feels like I paid way too much for a 4 hour game. Even though I think I paid $32 with my prime discount, I can't help but feel like for $15 you could get MM Legacy Collection 1 and 2, or the X collection, and have more hours of fun for the same amount of money.

They are trying to introduce new people to Mega Man. I'm sure the play time is much longer than 4 hours for someone who played very little Mega Man or none at all. That said they really should throw some challenge levels in afterwards. The new 2D Mario games have all been really fun but short if you know the Mario Groove. They also tend to have challenging bonus levels that you can unlock.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/Fommy__y/status/1050002222090571776
whoa pretty

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Weirdly my biggest gaming desires center around NMS right now. I want it on the switch and I want it in VR

Do it Sean Murray you coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I said come in! posted:

What titty game is this?

That's Sengoku Cannon, which is the really lovely and ugly third game in Samurai Ace / Sengoku Blade series.