Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

popping into AI to show yall this neat rear end old Willys that showed up at our office today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Got the XJ back today, everything's running good. No more coolant spewing out. The mechanic also gave me a list of recommended things to take care of soon. Gonna start working on that this weekend; I don't want to be changing fluids when it starts snowing.

I'm also going to clean off the engine, and take before-and-after pictures to show just how bad it is. It's pretty embarassing. :sweatdrop:

DJExile posted:

popping into AI to show yall this neat rear end old Willys that showed up at our office today.

That's pretty awesome, and would look :krad: after some restoration work.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

There's a similarly rusted-out Willys (but with a rebuilt engine in it) for sale in Corrales, NM for $3k. Seemed like a lot to me for something that had clearly sat in an orchard year-round for the last 40 years. Paint was a little better.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

What are people choosing for one ton steering (tj) these days

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I have the Currie Correctlink and it has been super solid for over 5 years. It's like $500 now. If I were doing it over again I might go cheap and just upgrade from stock TJ to the somewhat heavier duty ZJ steering. Or the Rugged Ridge at $300.

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 11, 2018

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Got in the jeep this morning, tried to drive it. Gauges all drop to zero, transmission slips like crazy. (As in, lots of throttle to slowly roll forward.)

Possibly related - it rained last night. I’m thinking an electrical connection is causing both, but I have no idea where to look. What should i look at?

2000 Cherokee, 4x4, auto (aw4)

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Astonishing Wang posted:

I have the Currie Correctlink and it has been super solid for over 5 years. It's like $500 now. If I were doing it over again I might go cheap and just upgrade from stock TJ to the somewhat heavier duty ZJ steering. Or the Rugged Ridge at $300.

Any particular reason you'd go RR this time?

Unrelated and open question:realistically how hard would it be to fit a zf6 under a Tj?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Karma Comedian posted:

Any particular reason you'd go RR this time?

Unrelated and open question:realistically how hard would it be to fit a zf6 under a Tj?

The only reason I wouldn't get the currie again is because it's so expensive. BUT, I haven't had to mess with it at all since installing it, so that might be worth a couple hundred bucks.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Krakkles posted:

Got in the jeep this morning, tried to drive it. Gauges all drop to zero, transmission slips like crazy. (As in, lots of throttle to slowly roll forward.)

Possibly related - it rained last night. I’m thinking an electrical connection is causing both, but I have no idea where to look. What should i look at?

2000 Cherokee, 4x4, auto (aw4)

Try pushing in the upper right corner of your gauge cluster to see if it pushes the connector back in and brings them back to life. Sometimes when the weather changes or I hit a big bump all my gauges go to zero, airbag light comes on, etc. and it's just the crappy connector. There was a TSB long ago apparently on it.

It wouldn't affect the tranny though--dunno about that. :(

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

mod sassinator posted:

Try pushing in the upper right corner of your gauge cluster to see if it pushes the connector back in and brings them back to life. Sometimes when the weather changes or I hit a big bump all my gauges go to zero, airbag light comes on, etc. and it's just the crappy connector. There was a TSB long ago apparently on it.

It wouldn't affect the tranny though--dunno about that. :(

I've had this off and on for years and honest to god the most reliable way I've gotten the gauges to come back is to slam my fist on top of the dash like The Fonz. I actually just had it happen for the first time since I cleaned the connector out with contact cleaner and then filled it dielectric grease about five years ago.

Agreed that it shouldn't affect the transmission though. Could be two unrelated issues at the same time, but that's unlikely. Bad ground somewhere?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Remember that the default gear for an unpowered aw4 with the shifter in drive is overdrive. So that's the symptoms of the trans controls being unpowered, too. Check your grounds, specifically the ones on the driver side inner fender near the airbox and ECU. IIRC they handle a lot of important stuff.

Ninja edit: especially if it will give you first gear with the shifter in 1-2 and 3rd in 3.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
1992 XJ - previous owner cut off the trailer plug, leaving seven bare wires. What's my best option for connecting a 4-pin trailer to this?

I first thought maybe I could just wire up the correct 4 wires but of course it's a whole different scheme for doing turn signals apparently?

Then I thought I could buy a 4 pin xj wiring kit but those don't seem to be made any more.

Latest plan was to just buy a new seven-blade plug, try to figure out which wires go to which blade, then use an off-the shelf adapter, but I feel like there's got to be a better way. halp

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

MonkeyHate posted:

1992 XJ - previous owner cut off the trailer plug, leaving seven bare wires. What's my best option for connecting a 4-pin trailer to this?

I first thought maybe I could just wire up the correct 4 wires but of course it's a whole different scheme for doing turn signals apparently?

Then I thought I could buy a 4 pin xj wiring kit but those don't seem to be made any more.

Latest plan was to just buy a new seven-blade plug, try to figure out which wires go to which blade, then use an off-the shelf adapter, but I feel like there's got to be a better way. halp

Easiest way would be to go with replacing the 7 pin connector. That diagram is out of a '95 FSM but should be the same.

There is always this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-JEEP-C...bvv7J:rk:2:pf:0 depending on where you are.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 14, 2018

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

Remember that the default gear for an unpowered aw4 with the shifter in drive is overdrive. So that's the symptoms of the trans controls being unpowered, too. Check your grounds, specifically the ones on the driver side inner fender near the airbox and ECU. IIRC they handle a lot of important stuff.

Ninja edit: especially if it will give you first gear with the shifter in 1-2 and 3rd in 3.
This seems right, because shifting manually does let me select lower gears, but substantially improving the ground didn’t fix it. (It was two bolts to painted body, appeared to be factory, and one was broken (but after the body, so still attached and tight). I ran them to unpainted seam with a ground strap to another unpainted section.) Could the PCM just be bad?

Scary possibility: the connectors to the PCM both have broken latches. I have no idea how I’d go about replacing those, so I’m actually hoping it’s the PCM itself. The connections seem secure, at least, though that means little.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

Veeb0rg posted:

Easiest way would be to go with replacing the 7 pin connector. That diagram is out of a '95 FSM but should be the same.

There is always this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-JEEP-C...bvv7J:rk:2:pf:0 depending on where you are.

Hell yeah thanks buddy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Krakkles posted:

This seems right, because shifting manually does let me select lower gears, but substantially improving the ground didn’t fix it. (It was two bolts to painted body, appeared to be factory, and one was broken (but after the body, so still attached and tight). I ran them to unpainted seam with a ground strap to another unpainted section.) Could the PCM just be bad?

Scary possibility: the connectors to the PCM both have broken latches. I have no idea how I’d go about replacing those, so I’m actually hoping it’s the PCM itself. The connections seem secure, at least, though that means little.

Very unlikely the ECU, since these have a mostly independent TCU. It might be the TCU but they don't go bad often at all. I'm guessing a bad connection or blown fuse somewhere... The trick is where. I was hoping it was that ground since I've had it cause very screwy behavior before, but apparently not in this case. What codes do you have, if any? Since the gauges are dropping to zero there's a good chance the cel is not up to date either, so it being off is no indication of no codes.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

Very unlikely the ECU, since these have a mostly independent TCU. It might be the TCU but they don't go bad often at all. I'm guessing a bad connection or blown fuse somewhere... The trick is where. I was hoping it was that ground since I've had it cause very screwy behavior before, but apparently not in this case. What codes do you have, if any? Since the gauges are dropping to zero there's a good chance the cel is not up to date either, so it being off is no indication of no codes.
I was too! It sounded promising.

No codes - just checked - but I did notice that the resting battery voltage was pretty low (12.1v). Bad battery would loop back to my overvoltage condition that I’ve been seeing. Could it be the root of this as well, though?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I've been doing my own oil changes for years now, but something I always wondered for high-mileage engines in general (XJ specifically). Are there any recommended oil filters? I usually just get a Fram High Mileage filter at the nearby AutoZone, but I also find horror stories online from people that used Fram filters. Also, is it worth getting any additives for oil? I don't know if there is anything considered safe or particularly useful.

In case it matters, I use full synthetic.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fram... They're built to minimize costs, but IMO not excessively. Considering that for a very long time, even in a large metro area, odds were good that the only filters you could easily find on a shelf for a given application were Fram, you'd expect a vastly higher number of failures if the cost saving measures actually caused problems regularly.

I won't buy an orange can Fram because they want to charge way more than it's worth, but I have no problem running a higher end model if I can get it on sale. I've had good luck getting orange can equivalent filters on Rock Auto or Walmart clearance for dirt cheap. I grabbed a few Supertech Ford filters a while back for something like $2 each for the WJ.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Walmart always has the Mopar filter for the 4 liter (M-90) so that's what I get. I really don't care about the cost since at most I'm changing the filter maybe twice a year.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Krakkles posted:

I was too! It sounded promising.

No codes - just checked - but I did notice that the resting battery voltage was pretty low (12.1v). Bad battery would loop back to my overvoltage condition that I’ve been seeing. Could it be the root of this as well, though?

Could be a bad battery cable. If power can't reliably get from the alternator to the battery it will cause overvoltage and can also cause some of the weird problems a bad ground would too.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Man, this is gonna sound weird, but my first box of cleaning supplies arrived, and these Tub O' Towels are fantastic. I just wiped down my entire kitchen with one of these things. They're like Lysol wipes on steroids. Can't wait to use them in my XJ.

...It's so easy to get excited over the most mundane poo poo when you're an adult.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The wire inside the harness, yes? How would I go about replacing that? I checked the connections to the alternator, they all appear to be tight and secure, but if I need to replace something I can.

Pictures of wires, in case it helps:
Redone grounds by airbox (yes, I want to clean this up / get rid of the cheese bolt, but it's what I had, and I think it's ok - left side of seam is grounds from harness, right side is a strap which drops down to the rear airbox bolt. I sanded all the surfaces to bright metal):

Negative battery to ground (replaced ~2015, clean and tight, pretty confident this is ok):

Positive battery terminal (replaced ~2015, clean and tight, pretty confident this is ok):

Positive to PDC (replaced ~2015, tight, could be cleaner, I'm going to clean it.):

Grounds to block behind alternator - these are stock, but solid, clean and tight:

Ugly strap to firewall - solid, though:

Other end of ugly strap - again, solidly attached:

Also, while I was in there, I checked the battery with a multimeter, now it's showing 12.65v. (The earlier reading was from the radio, which I shouldn't have trusted.)

Edit: The one other thing is that it's got a belt squeal now - theres some obvious rubber stuck to one of the pulleys. I'm going to clean that off, and probably replace the belt, but I can't imagine that causing all of this.

DizzyBum posted:

Man, this is gonna sound weird, but my first box of cleaning supplies arrived, and these Tub O' Towels are fantastic. I just wiped down my entire kitchen with one of these things. They're like Lysol wipes on steroids. Can't wait to use them in my XJ.

...It's so easy to get excited over the most mundane poo poo when you're an adult.
Upside, it's almost easier to be really satisfied with things, right? :)

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 15, 2018

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I have a 96 ZJ I picked up a while ago that I have an issue with. There is a fuel smell in the cab since
I filled the tank more than half for the first time. I think I’ve narrowed the source down to the little lines that
Attach to the top of the fuel pump module. I was able to view this without dropping the tank because a previous owner helpfully hacked a hole above the fuel pump for easy access.

What I’m trying to figure out is what these lines are called so I can replace them. The pump is fine and it runs it’s just smelly.

I’ll post a pic when I get home.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Fear posted:

I have a 96 ZJ I picked up a while ago that I have an issue with. There is a fuel smell in the cab since
I filled the tank more than half for the first time. I think I’ve narrowed the source down to the little lines that
Attach to the top of the fuel pump module. I was able to view this without dropping the tank because a previous owner helpfully hacked a hole above the fuel pump for easy access.

What I’m trying to figure out is what these lines are called so I can replace them. The pump is fine and it runs it’s just smelly.

I’ll post a pic when I get home.
According to the XJ FSM (which, configuration is likely the same, but part numbers may not be - lucky there aren't any here!), you're probably looking for the Fuel Supply Tube and/or the Evap Canister Vent Line.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Krakkles posted:

According to the XJ FSM (which, configuration is likely the same, but part numbers may not be - lucky there aren't any here!), you're probably looking for the Fuel Supply Tube and/or the Evap Canister Vent Line.

Mine is a different module it has a line in and a line out as well as an electrical connection

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Weather is looking good for this weekend, so I should have ample time to clean my windshield and engine bay tomorrow. :getin: (Also gonna take care of the wife's Mazda's windshield while I'm at it.)

I need to remember to hit up the dollar store tomorrow for empty spray bottles and cheap paintbrushes.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Fear posted:

Mine is a different module it has a line in and a line out as well as an electrical connection
Then, Fuel Supply Line/Tube and Fuel Return Line/Tube.

Also, there's clearly an electrical connection on that diagram, so ...

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Fixed my inside driver door handle/latch today on the 715 - before, I had to roll the window down to open it up from the outside. It required just tack welding a small tab onto the end of the lever mechanism so it could actually push the latch it needed to. I was pleasantly surprised that the inside door cover was just held on by 10ish spring clips and the latch was held on by 3 screws, so disassembly took just a couple of minutes. I absolutely love how simple this thing is to work on coming from a JK.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I got a new (aftermarket) fuel gauge finally and want to mount it in my dash cluster.

Before I pull the cluster and start trying, is it feasible to cut a hole where the stock gauge is and just slot the new gauge in? I assume it is but want to double check.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Didn't get to do much this weekend on the XJ so I just cleaned and waxed my windshield. Definitely makes a difference; water just gets blown off the glass now instead of clinging and leaving marks. I'll do my wife's windshield sometime this week, and then hopefully clean my engine when I get more time.

My windshield's going to need to be replaced soon. It's 19 years old and it's got a lot of wear. It's also got a crack that's slowly making its way across, and I'd rather not be dealing with that when the freezing temps arrive.

Might be time for a new battery, too, now that I think about it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Double posting because I just came home from work today and now all of a sudden the XJ won't crank at all. No clicking, battery seems fine, just nothing happens when I turn the key. Even tried to shift to neutral and start it, nothing.

It was just really weird. I started it fine at the office, now all of a sudden it just won't crank and it's not even an hour later.

I really can't afford to send it right back into the shop so I guess I'll be figuring this one myself.

e: I'll try to start it again once the engine has cooled down. Apparently that can indicate a specific problem. Would certainly be better than it not working at all, but I don't want to get stranded.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 23, 2018

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

DizzyBum posted:

Double posting because I just came home from work today and now all of a sudden the XJ won't crank at all. No clicking, battery seems fine, just nothing happens when I turn the key. Even tried to shift to neutral and start it, nothing.

It was just really weird. I started it fine at the office, now all of a sudden it just won't crank and it's not even an hour later.

I really can't afford to send it right back into the shop so I guess I'll be figuring this one myself.

e: I'll try to start it again once the engine has cooled down. Apparently that can indicate a specific problem. Would certainly be better than it not working at all, but I don't want to get stranded.

Sounds dumb but did you check the battery terminal connectors? This happened on my TJ, after a short drive I had nothing at all and towed it home. Cleaned off the connectors on the terminals and it’s started fine ever since.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Sounds dumb but did you check the battery terminal connectors? This happened on my TJ, after a short drive I had nothing at all and towed it home. Cleaned off the connectors on the terminals and it’s started fine ever since.

Your username gives me anxiety.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The XJ started last night and this morning so I think I'm safe for now. My wife's old '96 XJ had the same starting problem before she sold it.

Still planning to diagnose the problem and I'm expecting to replace the starter.

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Lights/radio/dashboard/etc. were all working perfectly so I didn't even consider checking the battery terminals. I'm going to replace the battery in a few days anyway, and I'll be cleaning my engine bay while it's out. So I'll be sure to clean the connectors.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I bet it's the starter, and IMHO replace it now before it's stuck in a parking lot for a weekend and you blow $100 on a tow. When my starter went I had the same symptoms and tried everything (shorting out the NSS in the wiring harness, manually connecting the starter solenoid to try engaging it, etc.) but in the end it was the starter. I had noticed in the weeks leading up to it that it would sometimes not start on the first key turn so there was at least a little warning, but then one day (usually at the most inopportune time) it's stuck for good.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

I bet it's the starter, and IMHO replace it now before it's stuck in a parking lot for a weekend and you blow $100 on a tow. When my starter went I had the same symptoms and tried everything (shorting out the NSS in the wiring harness, manually connecting the starter solenoid to try engaging it, etc.) but in the end it was the starter. I had noticed in the weeks leading up to it that it would sometimes not start on the first key turn so there was at least a little warning, but then one day (usually at the most inopportune time) it's stuck for good.

I have AAA :smug:

But yeah, in all seriousness, I'm already planning to replace it ASAP.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
You should still hear the solenoid click if it's the starter itself. Too bad it's intermittent. I bet it'll be really easy to diagnose once whatever it is dies completely.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I had that happen on my car recently, it was the battery, metered fine, ran all the auxiliaries fine, instantly flopped under load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Please please please actually troubleshoot the problem instead of just throwing money at it. I promise you will be happier.

Unless you want to just replace the battery, starter, wires, fuse, relay, NSS, and ignition switch. I mean it's your money. But it's one of the simplest systems to troubleshoot in a Jeep electrical system, so why shotgun parts/money at it and still get stranded a few more times?