Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Crakkerjakk posted:

I don't get why everyone's wound up over Kashoggi after the last few years of Yemen.

Well, I do, it's because he's a real person that a bunch of national journalists knew and worked with, while people in Yemen are abstract brown people, but like oh, the Saudis are murderous assholes? You don't say.

The death of one man is a tragedy; etc, etc, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How is it ok that people running for office are allowed to be in charge of election procedures? I thought we already went over this earlier in the year

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
What’s an exact match rule anyway?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

FrozenVent posted:

What’s an exact match rule anyway?

Your voter registration information must exactly match some records of you that the state has, AFAIK.

Which sucks for hyphenates, a lot.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Your voter registration information must exactly match some records of you that the state has, AFAIK.

also the way stupider thing where they're deleting anyone who has the same name as anyone registered to vote in another state

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Coincidentally, a lot of black people have hyphens in their names, and a lot of state records do not have hyphens or whatever accentuation is in your name in the right spot.

Also the blatant conflict of interest in one of the candidates for governor being in direct control of the voter rolls is loving hilarious. That is some straight banana republic poo poo.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

shame on an IGA posted:

also the way stupider thing where they're deleting anyone who has the same name as anyone registered to vote in another state

So almost everyone unless you have a really really unusual name?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

shame on an IGA posted:

Hahahaha good god they're brazen.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Serious question. Why haven't there been riots in the states under the present administration? There's just so much blatant corruption and racism that could have become a flashpoint.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Because riots are open season on minority arrests and having a felony means you can't vote forever.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

Serious question. Why haven't there been riots in the states under the present administration? There's just so much blatant corruption and racism that could have become a flashpoint.

Because the police have tanks and assault rifles and would gun people down while Trump and Republicans thank them for restoring order.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
A full belly has no anger.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/MSchroeder77/status/1050129871408701440

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1050138094135996416

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Jesus gently caress, 200lbs of black powder with an e-match as the trigger? Does he not know about tannerite?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jaguars! posted:

Because there is a straight up loving propaganda machine that has quite seriously brainwashed a significant amount of the population into thinking things are fine and the more they help rich people the better things will be.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Like, the amount of damage Fox has done to your country in the name of news has to be treason.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Like, the amount of damage Fox has done to your country in the name of news has to be treason.

And you fuckers gave him to us. (Yes I know it was Australia but who knows where the gently caress NZ is on a map anyways)

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Jesus gently caress, 200lbs of black powder with an e-match as the trigger? Does he not know about tannerite?

Apparently the whole kit was 200lbs with packaging and there was only about 8lbs of black powder in a small bomb

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Low content, but posting for the spooky existential dread.

https://twitter.com/summerray/status/1049776158995337216?s=21

Sexy Paralysis.
Sexy Dead Oceans.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

orange juche posted:

And you fuckers gave him to us. (Yes I know it was Australia but who knows where the gently caress NZ is on a map anyways)

NZ isn't on most maps.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Sexy anxiety rage

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Apparently the whole kit was 200lbs with packaging and there was only about 8lbs of black powder in a small bomb

I really should read a little more thoroughly than a quick stoned scan for details.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Getting large groups to riot requires convincing them that violence is their only recourse, either due to complete and obvious breakdown of non-violent methods and/or as a reaction to direct and imminent threats of violence from the authorities. You saw rioting around the BLM protests since there was a legitimate and recognized threat to protestors and the larger African American community from law enforcement. We might have seen similar outbreaks of rioting around the ICE deportations if the US migrant community wasn't already completely demolished and marginalized through years of systematic oppression.

The big drivers for riots and political terrorism in the 60s was the ratcheting up of state-sponsored attacks against the Civil Rights movement, and the repeated failures of relying on the 'normal' political process (such as at the '68 DNC Convention) to try and change the situation.

Rioting and other violence from the left becomes more likely if/when the Dems fail to retake Congress and/or fail to unseat Trump by 2020, especially if it's coupled with obvious GOP vote rigging, increased White House directed/endorsed violence against opponents, and other forms of authoritarian fuckery.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Armed black people is literally the scariest thing imaginable to conservative America

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Even in Cuba under Batista while the different factions were all agitating and protesting and assassinating officials and people getting murked extrajudicially by secret police, most of the country basically ran more or less normally (I mean, markets are open, people go to their jobs, etc) and I'm sure plenty thought Batista was just showing tough love to criminals or something.

And that was in a country that had fought hard for and was very proud of its independence and democracy, with a large population of students and other smart young people who were aghast at what was happening right under their noses and weren't going to stand for it from pretty much day one of Batista seizing power in a blatantly illegal coup. It dragged on like that for Y E A R S with all kinds of people doing the heavy lifting and dying in the cities, with a few "could have beens" leaders that didn't make the cut one way or another, and eventually resulted in Castro.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

mlmp08 posted:

Sexy Paralysis.
Sexy Dead Oceans.

sexy heights

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Jaguars! posted:

Because you will very likely die. It takes a hell of a lot for enough of a population to get out on the streets to avoid that outcome, and even then, reasonable chance you'll die.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
People still think Kent State was justified

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Proud Christian Mom posted:

People still think Kent State was justified

Jesus loving Christ!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Yes, but it also opened up the door for mass comm research regarding staterun propoganda in a domestic environment.

When I was at AFN, we had a panic switch that notified MPs that we were under duress. Radio stations or any medium that can transmit news is a high valued target. Makes sense, control the narrative and you create the reality.

What Americans have done in the name of America should be treason. I legit asked my professors about what I could do to make news organizations accountable for blatant bullshit and they basically said "wish really really hard and also no." Its the same reason why John Oliver or The Daily Show arent technically news. They cant be. They are entertainment.

The problem started with syndication and the Telecommunications Act of 1993. Syndication used to mean a big deal, and were limited to the stations they could have. The act lifted those restrictions. Youve seen the result of syndicated networks pushing scripts and narratives in harmony regardless of distNce between them.

In news, if it bleeds it ledes. People sit around getting paranoid about poo poo that is blown out of proportion. You get local news but first! Breaking out of (5000 miles from you) Giant Testicle Munching Zombies are killing all the testicles! 'Thank god I live nowhere near that place. But Ill stay alert!' you think to yourself. Then you get desensitized to that, and you only react to closer instances of a variable of things. All the way until the fire is on your doorstep, but the news is saying its not that bad. People are accustomed to talking heads giving opinions instead of facts. No accountability for the misinformation that they give. Reality is all just perspective right?

The problem is, its a cultural thing. We are consumer capitalists who make different personas based on how we interact. We got so caught up with telling stories that we forgot whats real. The American dream is this notion that money or land is equivalent to success. We dont pause to look at the people who we step on to get there. gently caress you, got mine right?

Now mix the entitled culture where having the newest smartphone is essential. Who have been coddled and told their opinions matter. They dont. Mine doesnt either. Not unless it has fact behind it. The Fox News junkies dont look things up because they are gullible. Its almost cognitive Dissonance by refusing to look up facts, or what constitutes facts.

One of my best classes in college was a digital media literacy class. A class designed on cutting through bullshit when reading news and stuff. Really opened my eyes about sources and integrity of jouralists. I think it should be mandatory in middle school.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

mlmp08 posted:

Sexy Paralysis.
Sexy Dead Oceans.

Sexy human interaction

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Getting large groups to riot requires convincing them that violence is their only recourse, either due to complete and obvious breakdown of non-violent methods and/or as a reaction to direct and imminent threats of violence from the authorities. You saw rioting around the BLM protests since there was a legitimate and recognized threat to protestors and the larger African American community from law enforcement. We might have seen similar outbreaks of rioting around the ICE deportations if the US migrant community wasn't already completely demolished and marginalized through years of systematic oppression.

The big drivers for riots and political terrorism in the 60s was the ratcheting up of state-sponsored attacks against the Civil Rights movement, and the repeated failures of relying on the 'normal' political process (such as at the '68 DNC Convention) to try and change the situation.

Rioting and other violence from the left becomes more likely if/when the Dems fail to retake Congress and/or fail to unseat Trump by 2020, especially if it's coupled with obvious GOP vote rigging, increased White House directed/endorsed violence against opponents, and other forms of authoritarian fuckery.

I've also observed being just not believing its real. My neighbor is a mexican immigrant, has his US citizenship. He goes home to mexico during the winter, since the construction projects shut down here because of the cold. I warned him about being careful doing that this year, and told him about ICE deporting citizens, and he just didn't believe me at first. As it is his main change in plans is flying home instead of driving.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

sharknado slashfic posted:

I spent a concerning amount of time trying to figure out what WAR CRIME SYNDICAT was talking about until the lightbulb went off

I still don't get it.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

mlmp08 posted:

Sexy Paralysis.
Sexy Dead Oceans.

Sexy anal prolapse.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Stultus Maximus posted:

I still don't get it.

His avatar is a cat

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

mlmp08 posted:

Sexy Flanders

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Syrian Lannister posted:

Stupid Sexy Flanders

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Oh hey, what's this in the news here?

"Chief Justice Roberts refers judicial misconduct complaints against Kavanaugh to the 10th Circuit Court."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.cafeff8c3a78

Oh hey cool. Maybe something will come of this.

quote:

Hellman predicted that the 10th Circuit will likely close the case “because it is no longer within their jurisdiction,” now that Kavanaugh has been elevated to the Supreme Court.

Oh.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sexy erectile dysfunction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Sexy Trump invading North Korea

Thanks for your answers dudes, I was trying to get a handle on why people have gone into civil disobedience mode in the past vs. the situation there is now; There were some interesting dimensions that I hadn't considered.

• Locked thread