Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My place had an Excel macro doing barcode generation for them in one department. One day 6 months ago the guy who made the sheet quit and within a week the macro quit working and they just shrugged their shoulders and stopped using barcodes.

This came back and bit them in the rear end at the next internal audit so my boss loans me out like the cheap trick I am, I get it sorted in six minutes, and strongly recommended they don't use Excel for this.

I'll probably be back fixing that macro again before Halloween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Arquinsiel posted:

Someone in my company has been emailing all the staff that have access to them asking for feedback. Apparently "we don't use them because they are impractical for our purposes" was not the desired feedback.

I used a Pro 3 and 4 for a long time and didn't really like them. They really fell down when it came to the dock. About one in four times, things wouldn't come back right or wouldn't work. This was on both the old slidey-dock and the newer brick.
That said, we've probably got about 10 total devices, some Pro 4s and some old SurfaceBooks, and most of the people who have them love them.

I dunno, maybe the Pro 6 will be a non-turd.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

AlternateAccount posted:

I used a Pro 3 and 4 for a long time and didn't really like them. They really fell down when it came to the dock. About one in four times, things wouldn't come back right or wouldn't work. This was on both the old slidey-dock and the newer brick.
That said, we've probably got about 10 total devices, some Pro 4s and some old SurfaceBooks, and most of the people who have them love them.

We have the brick dock, but the main problem is that we don't have wifi out on the datacenter floor, so there's no way to actually use them for the intended task. Apparently in the datacenters that do have wifi they have problems with detaching the keyboard and the screen then not registering presses for reasons :iiam:

Works fine as an office laptop replacement with a dock and a bunch of monitors, but our regular laptops are poo poo anyways.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

tactlessbastard posted:

My place had an Excel macro doing barcode generation for them in one department. One day 6 months ago the guy who made the sheet quit and within a week the macro quit working and they just shrugged their shoulders and stopped using barcodes.

This came back and bit them in the rear end at the next internal audit so my boss loans me out like the cheap trick I am, I get it sorted in six minutes, and strongly recommended they don't use Excel for this.

I'll probably be back fixing that macro again before Halloween.

tell your boss to fix it properly without involving you

a strong recommendation will do nothing.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

AlternateAccount posted:

If the Surface's weren't so goddamn unreliable I'd consider them to be actually quite nice, but no we get a nice array of; digitizer issues, clip on keyboard issues, power up issues, BIOS issues, bricking issues, old ones use the monolith dock new ones use the crappy cable brick.

So then we changed over to Dell XPS's which have CPU overheating/throttle issues :shepface:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Super Slash posted:

If the Surface's weren't so goddamn unreliable I'd consider them to be actually quite nice, but no we get a nice array of; digitizer issues, clip on keyboard issues, power up issues, BIOS issues, bricking issues, old ones use the monolith dock new ones use the crappy cable brick.

So then we changed over to Dell XPS's which have CPU overheating/throttle issues :shepface:

I desperately wanted to like mine, I used the 3 and 4 for about two years total before it just got to be way more hassle than it was worth :\

I'll still order a 6 for "testing" and evaluation, tho. Kinda interested to see where the hardware's gotten to.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm gathering I'm lucky a bit that my aging 3 regularly is chugging along daily? It does something hard reboot worthy once in a while is about it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

LethalGeek posted:

I'm gathering I'm lucky a bit that my aging 3 regularly is chugging along daily? It does something hard reboot worthy once in a while is about it.

We have half a dozen or so people on 3s who are quickly developing a COLD DEAD HANDS mentality about replacing them.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Cold dead hands the surfacebook form factor. Laptop in the streets, tablet in the sheets.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
"I'm trying to change the default application for .txt and it's not staying after I logoff."

"What are you trying to change it to?"

"Excel"

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

We have half a dozen or so people on 3s who are quickly developing a COLD DEAD HANDS mentality about replacing them.

incoherent posted:

Cold dead hands the surfacebook form factor. Laptop in the streets, tablet in the sheets.
Yeah I really am like... It's good enough and can use it to watch stuff in bed. Faster would be nice but I'm OK letting this die first.

The new little surface they are always advertising on NFL games is the S3 all over again. Looked to see if it was any faster but only a tiny bit. If I was super married to keeping mine that'd work.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

hihifellow posted:

"I'm trying to change the default application for .txt and it's not staying after I logoff."

"Excel"

:wtc:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

hihifellow posted:

"Excel"

csv file saved as txt that he uses often?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

hihifellow posted:

"Excel"

One thing I discovered recently is that if you open a CSV in Excel and don't Save As a UTF-8 CSV format, it ends up saving as a tab-separated TXT file. I don't know what the gently caress happened, whether MS changed something in Office or if I'm a loving retard (or both; probably both) but I can kind of understand it if this person deals with a lot of CSVs.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

nexxai posted:

One thing I discovered recently is that if you open a CSV in Excel and don't Save As a UTF-8 CSV format, it ends up saving as a tab-separated TXT file. I don't know what the gently caress happened, whether MS changed something in Office or if I'm a loving retard (or both; probably both) but I can kind of understand it if this person deals with a lot of CSVs.

This is probably the case (he's trying to do the same with .csv), but it doesn't stop my Excel PTSD from flaring up.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

hihifellow posted:

"Excel"

nexxai posted:

Interestingly I used to do customer support for a product that did mass export/import of users in an online portal type environment using these types of tab-separated text files, and only these files. Never figured out why though.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm not down with OPP (other people's programming)

Today I superseded forty .bat files that each contained the global admin password in plain text with a single powershell script.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

Today I superseded forty .bat files that each contained the global admin password in plain text with a single powershell script.
Blessed be PowerShell :cheers:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ghostlight posted:

I'm not down with OPP (other people's programming)

Tell me your powershell script doesn't also contain the admin password in plaintext.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Entropic posted:

Tell me your powershell script doesn't also contain the admin password in plaintext.
He already made it 4000% more secure, what more do you want?

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I had a hell of a time with ConvertFrom-SecureString a few weeks ago, but surely everyone's using ConvertTo.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Entropic posted:

It inherits all necessary elevation from the task sequence running it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

nexxai posted:

Excel saving CSVs as tab separated files is one of the banes of my existence.

The other is Excel removing leading zeros from CSVs when you open them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kurieg posted:

The other is Excel removing leading zeros from CSVs when you open them.

This poo poo infuriates me when it happens.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Proteus Jones posted:

This poo poo infuriates me when it happens.

aaaaaargh

One of the codes I work with is 2 numbers, the letter E, then 3 numbers. Excel loves turning that into scientific notation. Switching the cell format to plain text only works about half the time.

The worst part is that it turns 10E101 into 1.00E+102, since the last digit is changed you can't even get an idea of what the right thing is at a glance.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Ah, Excel and CSV. Sigh.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
That poo poo is evil, every single time I want to close out I get stuck in a loop thinking I've not saved properly and check it over until about the third attempt.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Super Slash posted:

That poo poo is evil, every single time I want to close out I get stuck in a loop thinking I've not saved properly and check it over until about the third attempt.

It gets me stuck in a loop where I just smash yes on everything, then I don't notice when it says something different.

Then I call IT and claim I didn't touch anything it just magically stopped working and WHAT DO WE PAY YOU FOR

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Excel desperately needs an "ID Number" format.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Renegret posted:

It gets me stuck in a loop where I just smash yes on everything, then I don't notice when it says something different.

Then I call IT and claim I didn't touch anything it just magically stopped working and WHAT DO WE PAY YOU FOR

i don't understand people who just mash OK on computer popups

like i literally watch it happen in front of me, or people who ask me if it's OK to click next on a screen where the only options are next and cancel...

I genuinely don't understand how they're not even bothering to read what their computer is desperately flashing in their faces.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
The owner of our company wants a floor to ceiling, edge to edge whiteboard with no seams in one of our conference rooms. Then one on the opposite wall in that room as well.

I'm not sure what in the hell this has to do with IT, but here we are I guess.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They think dialog boxes only show obscure computer errors that are for the consumption of and interpretation by techies only. Normal people should never have to see a dialog during normal use of an app.

Is what I think the mindset is

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

siggy2021 posted:

The owner of our company wants a floor to ceiling, edge to edge whiteboard with no seams in one of our conference rooms. Then one on the opposite wall in that room as well.

Hope you have your repainting guy on speed dial for the other two walls

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

siggy2021 posted:

We had one in our old office, right behind where the SMEs sat, and it rocked.

But facilities installed it. And it wasn't a board as much as it was a special paint and treatment to the wall.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Proteus Jones posted:

We had one in our old office, right behind where the SMEs sat, and it rocked.

But facilities installed it. And it wasn't a board as much as it was a special paint and treatment to the wall.

We have one of those installed in our conference room. I had no idea it was installed, it was just done quietly over the course of a few days when I was out. One day I went there and someone started scribbling on the wall with a marker and I nearly had a heart attack.

It's cool as h*ck though once you get over the completely built in childhood fear of not scribbling on the walls under threat of getting your rear end beat by mom.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Yeah after looking into it I saw the dry erase white paint and I am considering pitching that to them. I have a feeling they are going to be adamant about wanting an actual board, though.

I don't really understand the floor to ceiling concept. Is someone going to be laying on the ground writing at the bottom? Is someone going to stand on a chair to write on the top? If the space isn't going to be utilized then why bother?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

They don't want a seam/border. That's it.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

The Macaroni posted:

Ah, Excel and CSV. Sigh.

Open office handles CSVs much better. It will pop up a preview screen that lets you choose the encoding, separation character, and format for each column.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

The whiteboard paint is cool, but for some reason people LOVE using it on dark walls. There's like 4 markers that are actually visible on a dark wall, and only for the first few minutes before they dry out and become useless. Also you have to sand the wall REALLY well or erasing anything becomes a huge chore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ponzicar posted:

Open office handles CSVs much better. It will pop up a preview screen that lets you choose the encoding, separation character, and format for each column.

Excel does that too.