Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

melon cat posted:

Is it safe to use a ~6 year old spray bottle of CRC Throttle Bottle Kleen? Just found it in my garage but unsure if it's still usable. It does sit through harsh winters and summers while stored away.

Probably. Its just some chemical poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

STR posted:

If you want it gone, call junkyards. You'll probably get about $200-$300, but there's absolutely no hassle with it, so long as you have the title and keys available. Get the major trash out of it and any valuables. They'll want to know about major body damage, if it starts and moves (they didn't ask me if it knocked, only if it would start), and if major parts have already been removed or not.

All of the yards I called were within +/- $5 of each other, so I went with the one that could haul it off the soonest. Most of the "cash for junk cars" places will give similar offers, but a lot of them may be a little less honest.

Make sure to notify the state that you no longer own the car; some yards will put better condition cars in a "builder" section, where someone can buy the whole car and put it back on the road.
Ehh, a junkyard's gonna give me $140 for it, and that kinda sucks, but since they're gonna pay for towing it out of here then I guess that's okay. Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't considered a junkyard.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

IOwnCalculus posted:

Since you're not trying to bleed a system with air in it, you theoretically should be fine flushing fluid through it without messing with the ABS controller at all. Worst case you might not get 100% of the old fluid out?

I'm fine with not getting all of the old fluid out. It's my DD so my only concern is not bricking it.

anthonypants posted:

Ehh, a junkyard's gonna give me $140 for it, and that kinda sucks, but since they're gonna pay for towing it out of here then I guess that's okay. Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't considered a junkyard.

FWIW when I did the same to my wife's old car, the tires were still relatively newish, so I pulled them and left the car on cinderblocks. It didn't majorly affect the price the junkyard offered us. I think it was like $250 for the car with tires, $200 without. Told them to send a rollback and sold the tires for another $100.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

DesperateDan posted:

Check all the fuses you can get to, have the obd codes read to see if the car knows if anything is up.

Thanks for the help, turns out I didn't need to do anything. I decided to sleep on it and it righted itself.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

titties posted:

Thanks for the help, turns out I didn't need to do anything. I decided to sleep on it and it righted itself.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

anthonypants posted:

Never taken out an engine but I want to try it. Post a photo, maybe we can make something happen. Junkyard should have offered at least $300 imo.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Chunjee posted:

Never taken out an engine but I want to try it. Post a photo, maybe we can make something happen. Junkyard should have offered at least $300 imo.
I don't have any photos of under the hood but I could get some after work. If you meant the exterior, here's an Imgur album https://imgur.com/a/bLWE4BR

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Hey apants help me move back thanks

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Karma Comedian posted:

Hey apants help me move back thanks
I don't have a car your welcome

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I need some winter tires. Mostly going to be dealing with slick and dry roads in the cold, but there will definitely be days where I need to get through fresh or packed snow. It’s CO so stuff tends to clear / be cleared pretty quickly but sometimes I have to drive to or from work while it’s actively snowing.

Would Blizzaks be the choice, or is there something better / more cost-efficient for that? 215/60/16 size.

Also where do I get cheap wheels? Junkyard? Craigslist?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I had a 69 Fury in the early 00's because of this book / movie. I know the car was a 59 but it's more fun to say 69 Fury so

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Tire Rack sells pretty cheap steel wheels, but I think you need to buy them in a set with winter tires. May be worth it as they will mount and balance them at the same time.

I was able to snag pretty cheap alloys at a pick and pull place (they had racks of them to pick from).

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I need some winter tires. Mostly going to be dealing with slick and dry roads in the cold, but there will definitely be days where I need to get through fresh or packed snow. It’s CO so stuff tends to clear / be cleared pretty quickly but sometimes I have to drive to or from work while it’s actively snowing.

Would Blizzaks be the choice, or is there something better / more cost-efficient for that? 215/60/16 size.

Also where do I get cheap wheels? Junkyard? Craigslist?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...tnum=16HR6QT5XL

I've got a set of these and they're excellent. They're 3PMSF rated, so they're good for snow when you encounter it, and superb in dry/wet. They're also only $110.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Kommienzuspadt posted:

C. Vredestrian Quatrac 5 (235/55R19) - ~ $165/ea tirerack

What say you AI?

As quoted, C. I think you can do it without snow tires. Plenty of people up here in MN roll on them (in various states). Anyway, if you find out differently, get some.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking for the cheapest non-poo poo tires to throw on my Prius prior to inspection in a few weeks.

After looking around, I saw that Walmart sells Douglas-brand tires for around $40/each, and Douglas tires are manufactured by Goodyear. Are they Goodyear quality?

Also wondering if anyone uses Walmart for tire installation/balancing - I've read some horror stories online and want some reassurance that they won't gently caress it up.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

titties posted:

This has happened to me with weird unexplainable problems more than a few times.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

I'm looking for the cheapest non-poo poo tires to throw on my Prius prior to inspection in a few weeks.

After looking around, I saw that Walmart sells Douglas-brand tires for around $40/each, and Douglas tires are manufactured by Goodyear. Are they Goodyear quality?

Also wondering if anyone uses Walmart for tire installation/balancing - I've read some horror stories online and want some reassurance that they won't gently caress it up.

Tire Rack shows three tires you might consider (I guessed at the tire size) for your car that rate higher than 8/10 and cost less than $70:

Laufenn G FIT AS

Riken Raptor HR

Sumitomo HTR A/S P02

I would avoid Douglas tires, personally. Spend a few bucks more and get something 100x better.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

EugeneJ posted:

Douglas tires are manufactured by Goodyear. Are they Goodyear quality?

Brand doesn't mean all that much though, it comes down to each tire. See: Bridgestone Potenza RE-92 that apparently are still OEM on some cars! (One Tire Rack review says OEM on a 2016 Lexus...yikes). Bridgestone has way better tires than that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

EugeneJ posted:

You very much get what you pay for with them. They're not great tires. They're better than, say, Sunny or Telluride, but not by much.

Expect to spend 2 to 48 hours farting around the store waiting for them to install the tires. Their balancing is very hit or miss, it depends how high the tech is (and what they're high on).

(don't go to Walmart for tires)

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

nitsuga posted:

As quoted, C. I think you can do it without snow tires. Plenty of people up here in MN roll on them (in various states). Anyway, if you find out differently, get some.

Awesome - thanks for the input!

I used to live in MN, actually (Rochester) and I drove all winter on the lovely OEM Goodyear Eagles that came on my RAV4.... new all-weathers will be a step up, especially in the mild winters we have down here in Denver.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

EugeneJ posted:

Are they Goodyear quality?

FWIW most of Goodyear's offerings are mediocre at best until you get into summer/track tires above $150/each.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I can vouch for the Sumitomos too. Haven’t had any problems with them on my Fit. Too good a deal to pass up, and Tires Plus did all right with the mounting.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

An NV4500 should bolt right up to my 350 right?

and by extension so should the zf6?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
How the heck do I find out whether my steel wheels are compatible with my '07 Corolla?

Tire size is 195/65R R15, and according to this site my car's rim measurements are 6JJx15 ET45 and bolt pattern's 5x100. But I'm not sure if the wheel's offset is compatible with my 'Rolla. I'm guessing that I just need to measure out my steelies' offset and pattern with a wheel template? Or is there an easier way of determining this?

Because holy poo poo I'd be thrilled if these Blizzaks + wheels would for sure fit this car. :ohdear:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 11, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

In this case, probably the main thing is to determine your stock wheels' backspacing, then make sure those ones are equal or less. If backspacing (ie depth from inside lip to mounting face) is too deep, the inner rim/sidewall can foul on your suspension bits. Offset can be converted to backspacing and vice versa if you know the rim width, but you can also measure yours directly, and potentially ask the seller to do the same on their end.

OTOH if backspacing is too shallow the wheels will stick out of the wells, which can look funny but probably won't cause any real issues.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
2016 Ford Focus, CD Player stopped working. Trying to figure out what my options are. CDs can still be put into it and ejected out of it, so I'm hoping it's just the lens or laser or whatever. Unfortunately I don't have as many details as I'd like right now, I will update this in an hour when I figure it out.

I'm not sure if it's dirty or if it's actually broken, my girlfriend just texted me about it. I'm trying to figure out what my options are.

When I get home I can try and get some canned air in there, hopefully that's enough to just clean the lens (i'm praying the lens is dirty). If that doesn't do it I'll probably try and get one of those CD Cleaner things (I don't know what I should get or where I can get it) and hope that works.

If it doesn't I'm not sure what else I can do other than replacing the entire thing, in which case I'll have more questions. Can I replace just the CD player or is that the whole stereo? Can I rent the tools I need to pop everything off? According to youtube, seems like all I need is a small plastic crowbar thing and one of those screwdrivers for car screws, but I don't want to buy those if I can help it. I feel like doing it myself is cheaper than going somewhere to replace it, it shouldn't be THAT difficult.

But again I'd like to avoid that if I can.

i'm not good at cars

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

2016 Ford Focus, CD Player stopped working. Trying to figure out what my options are. CDs can still be put into it and ejected out of it, so I'm hoping it's just the lens or laser or whatever. Unfortunately I don't have as many details as I'd like right now, I will update this in an hour when I figure it out.

I'm not sure if it's dirty or if it's actually broken, my girlfriend just texted me about it. I'm trying to figure out what my options are.

When I get home I can try and get some canned air in there, hopefully that's enough to just clean the lens (i'm praying the lens is dirty). If that doesn't do it I'll probably try and get one of those CD Cleaner things (I don't know what I should get or where I can get it) and hope that works.

If it doesn't I'm not sure what else I can do other than replacing the entire thing, in which case I'll have more questions. Can I replace just the CD player or is that the whole stereo? Can I rent the tools I need to pop everything off? According to youtube, seems like all I need is a small plastic crowbar thing and one of those screwdrivers for car screws, but I don't want to buy those if I can help it. I feel like doing it myself is cheaper than going somewhere to replace it, it shouldn't be THAT difficult.

But again I'd like to avoid that if I can.

i'm not good at cars
Is it still under warranty? If so, take it to the dealer and have them replace it. Otherwise find a new one, or used from a junkyard, or replace it with some aftermarket sound system.

Those units are generally made to be installed as a unit and replaced as a unit, not repaired. If something is broken on the CD player, you will never be able to get it apart to get to the broken bit and then get it back together again. Or you might, but it will take way more time and dedication than it's worth.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I just confirmed, apparently he problem is that it spits CDs back out so it might not be recognizing the discs.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Karma Comedian posted:

An NV4500 should bolt right up to my 350 right?

and by extension so should the zf6?

I think they came in full-size chevys on the 305s, so if say yes.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

always be closing posted:

I think they came in full-size chevys on the 305s, so if say yes.

...I wonder if I could fit a ZF6 in my tj....

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

Brand doesn't mean all that much though, it comes down to each tire. See: Bridgestone Potenza RE-92 that apparently are still OEM on some cars! (One Tire Rack review says OEM on a 2016 Lexus...yikes). Bridgestone has way better tires than that.

I don't remember what they were but the OEM tires on my Civic didn't last 10k miles.

The first one to die blew out at only 8k. A loving blowout!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

melon cat posted:

How the heck do I find out whether my steel wheels are compatible with my '07 Corolla?

Tire size is 195/65R R15, and according to this site my car's rim measurements are 6JJx15 ET45 and bolt pattern's 5x100. But I'm not sure if the wheel's offset is compatible with my 'Rolla. I'm guessing that I just need to measure out my steelies' offset and pattern with a wheel template? Or is there an easier way of determining this?

Because holy poo poo I'd be thrilled if these Blizzaks + wheels would for sure fit this car. :ohdear:

Do you know what those wheels came off of? That'd make it a lot easier.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know what this connector is called? It's on an NB license plate light and seems somewhat hosed. I might need to either replace the connector or make it work with some LED lights I got off ebay

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
If I was interested in learning all I could about automotive electrical wiring, where should I start? What's a great resource?
Didn't we once have an AI auto wiring thread?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

so I bought my childhood dream car, a 1981 Pontiac Trans Am in Bandit black/gold with a 400 V8 swapped in. basically everything on it works, except I’m having trouble with the A/C. It blows ice cold, but with almost no pressure. Compressor seems to be fine, it can swap from high/low, but even on high it’s just barely coming out of the vents, like it’s not making it all the way there. the guy who sold it to me never got it checked out, thought it was the blower motor, but I’m thinking maybe a vacuum leak somewhere. thoughts from anyone with familiarity with lovely old late 70s A/C systems?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mandrel posted:

so I bought my childhood dream car, a 1981 Pontiac Trans Am in Bandit black/gold with a 400 V8 swapped in. basically everything on it works, except I’m having trouble with the A/C. It blows ice cold, but with almost no pressure. Compressor seems to be fine, it can swap from high/low, but even on high it’s just barely coming out of the vents, like it’s not making it all the way there. the guy who sold it to me never got it checked out, thought it was the blower motor, but I’m thinking maybe a vacuum leak somewhere. thoughts from anyone with familiarity with lovely old late 70s A/C systems?

I demand photos.

I also assume you are growing a moustache.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Mandrel posted:

If its cold as gently caress, its probably nothing to do with the AC itself and everything to do with the vents. Does it do the same when the heat is on? What about vent positions? Floor vents? Defroster vents? Still not blowing much?
If so, then check that the fan is working and then I guess look for clogs/leaks in the vent routing.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

spog posted:

I demand photos.

I also assume you are growing a moustache.
Seconded.

Also, post your mullet.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Dennis McClaren posted:

If I was interested in learning all I could about automotive electrical wiring, where should I start? What's a great resource?
Didn't we once have an AI auto wiring thread?

I have this book and this book. I've read the first but haven't read the second, yet. Author does a good job of explaining the overall picture in the first book. Big sections on relays and how they work and how they can be used for different things. Goes on about tools and crimps and determining wire size and all that. Gives some troubleshooting tips on finding power drains and stuff like that. He does a decent job of taking some of the mystery out of it, I think.

Also, I demand photos of that Trans Am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

If its cold as gently caress, its probably nothing to do with the AC itself and everything to do with the vents. Does it do the same when the heat is on? What about vent positions? Floor vents? Defroster vents? Still not blowing much?
If so, then check that the fan is working and then I guess look for clogs/leaks in the vent routing.
This, and definitely consistent with "blower motor" and inconsistent with "vacuum leak".