Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

beefnoodle posted:

I think it needs an extension for live preview. But my knowledge might be out of date.

That's a definite possibility. I don't use live preview, so I can't speak to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Is there a way to manage like two dozen L2TP IPsec VPN connections without littering my Wifi Networks?

Like, OpenVPN is kind enough to allow as many TAP adapters as one would want, without littering a commonly used UI element?

If it matters, these are running on Edgerouters.

I'm looking for a client where I can stuff connections out of site, like how the OpenVPN tray works.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I didn't see an office 365 thread, so I hope this is the next best place to ask.

My small (4 account) company just got office premium and well it seems pretty cool, but for the life of me it seems like there are 7 apps that do the same drat thing. I can't figure out what the differences are between Yammer, Teams, and sharepoint. Teams looks like the most promising to me since we can use it for video chat from the field to office. I also saw that it looks like it has a file sharing component that also crosses with sharepoint and onedrive?

My first big issue today is that we want to create a folder of PDFs that will hold all of our material specs and care and maintenance instructions. Ideally I want this to be exactly 1 folder so that we can add it it as needed and not have to make multiple copies of files. Onedrive seems to be the way to do this, but file sharing seems to be link based and doesn't seem to show up very well on the local app? Is there anyway to make a single onedrive that is the default one that all 4 accounts access? For a moment it looked like I could do this through sharepoint, but then I think I lose the hard-drive syncing which we want since our surface tablets in the field frequently have no net connect.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I didn't see an office 365 thread, so I hope this is the next best place to ask.

My small (4 account) company just got office premium and well it seems pretty cool, but for the life of me it seems like there are 7 apps that do the same drat thing. I can't figure out what the differences are between Yammer, Teams, and sharepoint. Teams looks like the most promising to me since we can use it for video chat from the field to office. I also saw that it looks like it has a file sharing component that also crosses with sharepoint and onedrive?

There probably isn't as stark a difference with only four of you, but Yammer is Office Facebook, and Teams is Office Slack. I thought SharePoint was called OneDrive for Business in non-legacy contexts now, but I might be wrong on that. I'm pretty sure the other apps' file sharing ultimately involves SharePoint.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Welcome to enterprise level Microsoft!

Yammer is a half-assed Facebook for Business. Teams is a half-assed Slack for Business but currently in the process of absorbing Skype for Business to form a full-rear end. Sharepoint is a dozen asses and a kitchen sink built on four programming languages and is often the underlying rear end of other apps like OneDrive for Business (which is just a different interface for Sharepoint and not the same thing as OneDrive despite being branded and treated as if it were).

Creating a Team automatically creates a back-end Sharepoint site of the same name) and all the shared files for that channel should be automatically placed into the document library there, which each user can subscribe to through OneDrive by going to that site and clicking 'Sync' on the library. It's probably possible to GPO that, but I've never had to look into it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

Creating a Team automatically creates a back-end Sharepoint site of the same name) and all the shared files for that channel should be automatically placed into the document library there, which each user can subscribe to through OneDrive by going to that site and clicking 'Sync' on the library. It's probably possible to GPO that, but I've never had to look into it.
Jesus Christ. And Lynk I mean Skype for business is getting merged with this monstrosity?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Toast Museum posted:

There probably isn't as stark a difference with only four of you, but Yammer is Office Facebook, and Teams is Office Slack. I thought SharePoint was called OneDrive for Business in non-legacy contexts now, but I might be wrong on that. I'm pretty sure the other apps' file sharing ultimately involves SharePoint.

Ghostlight posted:

Welcome to enterprise level Microsoft!

Yammer is a half-assed Facebook for Business. Teams is a half-assed Slack for Business but currently in the process of absorbing Skype for Business to form a full-rear end. Sharepoint is a dozen asses and a kitchen sink built on four programming languages and is often the underlying rear end of other apps like OneDrive for Business (which is just a different interface for Sharepoint and not the same thing as OneDrive despite being branded and treated as if it were).

It's funny, I grew up using office products and they always seemed so "functional", but all their web stuff just seems completely lacking in overall strategic direction. Thanks for pointing out that sharepoint is basically onedrive for business. From there I was able to find a few videos which I think properly setup a shared document storage area that can sync.

Do companies actually use yammer??

Teams seems pretty cool. I saw that I could attach the planner app directly into the team, which is pretty nice for us since we've been using asana for a year and planner doesn't seem to much worse than it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

SpaceCadetBob posted:

My first big issue today is that we want to create a folder of PDFs that will hold all of our material specs and care and maintenance instructions. Ideally I want this to be exactly 1 folder so that we can add it it as needed and not have to make multiple copies of files. Onedrive seems to be the way to do this, but file sharing seems to be link based and doesn't seem to show up very well on the local app? Is there anyway to make a single onedrive that is the default one that all 4 accounts access? For a moment it looked like I could do this through sharepoint, but then I think I lose the hard-drive syncing which we want since our surface tablets in the field frequently have no net connect.
  • Yammer is the collaboration tool for outside of your immediate network. In a company of 4, you probably don't need it.
  • Teams is the collaboration tool for, well, teams. Team sizes can be large or small, but in general everyone on a common Team site should be working together regularly.
  • Skype for Business is getting replaced by Teams. Teams is at (or nearly at) feature parity at this point.
  • OneDrive is for storing your personal files. You can share them, but don't think of it as a distribution platform. Works great for sharing with a handful of people. If you don't want to re-share something every time a new person joins your team, use SharePoint.
  • SharePoint is for storing files used by lots of people or actively developed by more than one person.
Every Teams site automatically gets a SharePoint site setup on the backend. Every Channel in a Team gets a folder under the default SharePoint Library (called Documents, iirc).

You can sync SharePoint Libraries to your local hard drive: just go to the top-level of that Library and select "sync". There is a limit of 2000 items for syncing to/from a SharePoint site. I don't believe OneDrive for Business has such a limit (if it does, it's much higher).

This is a good overview of how these products work together from a process perspective.

I know there are some die-hard Microsoft-haters out there, but the Office team has done a fantastic job in the past few years. These tools aren't perfect, but in the past few weeks I've setup multiple Teams and SharePoint sites for different project teams and spent about 5 minutes each time doing so. Just beware Teams/Group/Channel spam. I.e. You can run your business in as disorganized and messy fashion as you let yourself.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

SpaceCadetBob posted:

It's funny, I grew up using office products and they always seemed so "functional", but all their web stuff just seems completely lacking in overall strategic direction. Thanks for pointing out that sharepoint is basically onedrive for business. From there I was able to find a few videos which I think properly setup a shared document storage area that can sync.

Teams seems pretty cool. I saw that I could attach the planner app directly into the team, which is pretty nice for us since we've been using asana for a year and planner doesn't seem to much worse than it.

Yammer sees some adoption in larger companies. Some senior executive at my company thought it would be great to ignore Yammer and then go get that Facebook for Business thing and holy poo poo it's 10x worse. Yammer is good for what it is, and doesn't email me 85 times a day.

Planner is a nice utility, and integrates nicely with Teams.

Also, every Team gets a OneNote Notebook automatically created and stored on SharePoint. You can open that in your OneNote client (Windows, Android, whatever) and use that as a collaboration tool as well.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

SpaceCadetBob posted:

My last two employers, with 3k-5k and 15k-20k employees, have both rolled it out to little success. At the former, daily posts are in the low double digits. At the latter, I don't think I've even looked more than once because everyone has assured me nothing important happens there.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Yammer is only useful if people use it. Most companies are still relying on emailed newsletters to communicate across departments.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks for all the helpful replies. Now if only I could find a half way decent invoicing software.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

mystes posted:

Jesus Christ. And Lynk I mean Skype for business is getting merged with this monstrosity?
Yeah, which is actually (lol I mean possibly) kind of good because we looked at Teams about two years ago and we thought it was great except for needing a separate client from SfB so you ended up with some conversations through SfB and some through Teams and inevitably someone would do an ad hoc group chat that turned into a team chat that was then off the books. We didn't stick with it because it offered stuff that was useful but not necessary on top of our existing Sharepoint/Planner processes while needing to juggle two clients between internal team chats and external calls/outside team chats.

Oh and then you have Office365 Groups which is yet another thing on top of all that.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Groups is actually under all that. An Office 365 Group gets a Team, a Plan, a Site, an external email addresses, etc. More confusing, they are distinct from Exchange Security Groups, though the latter have a subset of the former's features.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's a turn of phrase!

But also Groups don't automatically get a Team (or at least that's an option because ours don't?), but rather you can make a new Team from an existing Group (but not vice-versa!), and if you have an existing Sharepoint collaboration site then sucks to be your division you can't tie any of that poo poo together retroactively because For Business, Baby!

Microsoft does make some good tools, it's just a shame they're produced as separate apps which only half work with each other (if at all) and are developed aggressively for a few years before being outright abandoned or superseded by a new app just out of the labs designed for the same niche but with only 80% of the polish.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Unless your admins have disabled it, if you create a Team then it creates a Group. On the backend the Group is created first, but from the end user's perspective it happens simultaneously.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ah I took it the other way around where you were creating a Group and automatically getting a corresponding Team.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any recommendations for a program to check how saturated the wifi is in an area?

5ghz works fine in my apartment but my roommates can only use 2.4ghz and it's constantly dropping out. I'm thinking switching channels might help.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any recommendations for a program to check how saturated the wifi is in an area?

5ghz works fine in my apartment but my roommates can only use 2.4ghz and it's constantly dropping out. I'm thinking switching channels might help.

If you have an Android phone, Wifi Analyzer works well to tell you the existing SSIDs, their strengths, and their channels.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

hooah posted:

If you have an Android phone, Wifi Analyzer works well to tell you the existing SSIDs, their strengths, and their channels.

I concur.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Next question on office 365. I see that you can have multiple domains inside the admin account area. I would like to add another domain i own and change my email to the new @domain but will all the functionality of teams/sharefile still work across the different domain names? Speficially, now that I was able to setup the distro documents folder on all my team's computers I want to make sure I'll still be able to access it.

Also is it going to totally gently caress up all my login info that I just had to paste all over everything office related in the last two days?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

hooah posted:

iphone, unfortunately.

I read something about Apple removing all apps of this type from its store but I have no idea why.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Next question on office 365. I see that you can have multiple domains inside the admin account area. I would like to add another domain i own and change my email to the new @domain but will all the functionality of teams/sharefile still work across the different domain names? Speficially, now that I was able to setup the distro documents folder on all my team's computers I want to make sure I'll still be able to access it.

Also is it going to totally gently caress up all my login info that I just had to paste all over everything office related in the last two days?

Someoneore knowledgeable could tell you how, but you can setup active directory domains to trust each other. I don't know what the current limits of that trust are--I haven't set that up in almost 20 years--but searching on Office 365 trusted domains may help.

eames
May 9, 2009

How usable is Firefox on a modern Surface device on battery power? I’d like to use FF on my Mac but it absolutely wrecks battery life compared to Safari with all its low level/private API optimisations. Is the situation similar in Windows and Edge vs FF?

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

SpaceCadetBob posted:

My limited experience with this indicates that it will all work exactly the same. Adding a new domain to your organisation doesn't create a separate set of permissions for addresses under that domain. Office365 has an Azure Active Directory created behind the scenes, and the AD is tied to your organisation. The email addresses, and whether one is set as your primary address, all tie to the same AD user.
The only change to your login should be that you now login with your new address instead of the old one.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

If your computer has Wi-Fi (and is ideally not a desktop) but not Windows 10, there's probably still a Win32 app for it somewhere? I've noticed most of the good ones have paywalled themselves lately.

If you have any version of Windows 10 there's a decent Wifi Analyzer-style app on the Store, named (natch) WiFi Analyzer.

Or there's probably something really cool on some Linux LiveCD only available in an extremely local 'zine from Europe or something.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

dont be mean to me posted:

If your computer has Wi-Fi (and is ideally not a desktop) but not Windows 10, there's probably still a Win32 app for it somewhere? I've noticed most of the good ones have paywalled themselves lately.

If you have any version of Windows 10 there's a decent Wifi Analyzer-style app on the Store, named (natch) WiFi Analyzer.

Or there's probably something really cool on some Linux LiveCD only available in an extremely local 'zine from Europe or something.

Thanks, that windows store app seems to work fine.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

InSSIDer was the old standby for that. I bought a copy of NetSpot on OSX to do it, that's a nice tool.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Is anyone else using Outlook via Office 365 (installed on Windows 10, if it matters) having issues with meeting invite features?

In particular, I've had:
  • My meeting invite forwarded without notification back to me - or, at least, I assume this is what happened, because I got an Acceptance from someone I've never heard of that I didn't send it to.
  • Multiple acceptances come back while the meeting / Scheduling Assistant shows none received

I saw a silent update roll out ... Tuesday, I think? ... with some obvious visual changes, and I've started having this problem since then.

I've also had a ton of weird issues (i.e., cannot) signing in to support.office, which is (part of) why I'm hoping someone here has advice.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is Ninite still the go-to for installing a bunch of third-party apps all at once on a fresh Windows install, or is there a better method that I should be using?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

C-Euro posted:

Is Ninite still the go-to for installing a bunch of third-party apps all at once on a fresh Windows install, or is there a better method that I should be using?

Maybe there are competitors I'm not aware of, but Ninite still works great.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Patchmypc.exe

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

One thing that has bothered me for a while now is that I feel like I've got so little control over my PC audio. Mix, levels and everything. Not only is this annoying because I do a bunch of radio where I have total control over every aspect of my sound, and coming home to a worse setup sucks, but it truly does gently caress with my self confidence that I haven't figured out a solution for this by myself yet.

I'm using my HyperX cloud II for pretty much everything nowadays, connected via USB, my problems are most prominent on that set, but pretty ubiquitous. I have two main problems:
1. As seen in this image, a comfortable volume level occupies something like a tenth of the volume bar, meaning I have really poor precision and control over my volume.

2. In addition to and combined with this, trying to set up different volumes for when I'm playing MP games, watching films and alt-tabbing between the two is clunky, annoying and bad. I generally keep my games at a way higher volume than youtube and whatnot.

So what I hope you guys can help me with is some way to adjust all this on the fly with more intuition and precision. Good third party software, a setting I've somehow missed, whatever. I'd love to be able to use the whole volume slider, or adjust Codblops without loving with VLC.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Don't your headphones have a volume control? If the sound's coming in through USB then surely it's the built-in amp that's making things deafeningly loud

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

baka kaba posted:

Don't your headphones have a volume control? If the sound's coming in through USB then surely it's the built-in amp that's making things deafeningly loud

I assume so, but there's no dedicated software for the Cloud II or anything like that, so I've got the volume buttons on the cord, but they control the windows volume directly, so it makes no difference.

It kinda seems like third party software is my only solution, but I know gently caress all about what's safe or recommended there.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah looks like it's a common issue, and the controls don't actually affect the amp's own output level, which is weird. So it's only giving you a tiny bit of usable range

Someone might have some recommendations for a plugin that can bring the level down after the Windows mixer, so you can use it normally. Or maybe if you go into the sound properties for your headset, there might be something you can do in there? An EQ where you can drag all the levels down without affecting the main volume control, something like that.

Might also be worth updating the firmware for the headset too, just in case they went "hey this is pretty dumb" and set it to a sensible volume - I saw one review saying "if you turn it up to full you can use the headset as speakers!" :eek:

but yeah the windows volume mixer is really annoying. Wish they'd at least put a dang reset button in there so you're not trying to push them all to the same line - oops you pushed a little too much and now everything else is quieter! And you can't just lower it because they'll all move because now they're relative

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

baka kaba posted:

Yeah looks like it's a common issue, and the controls don't actually affect the amp's own output level, which is weird. So it's only giving you a tiny bit of usable range

Someone might have some recommendations for a plugin that can bring the level down after the Windows mixer, so you can use it normally. Or maybe if you go into the sound properties for your headset, there might be something you can do in there? An EQ where you can drag all the levels down without affecting the main volume control, something like that.

Might also be worth updating the firmware for the headset too, just in case they went "hey this is pretty dumb" and set it to a sensible volume - I saw one review saying "if you turn it up to full you can use the headset as speakers!" :eek:

but yeah the windows volume mixer is really annoying. Wish they'd at least put a dang reset button in there so you're not trying to push them all to the same line - oops you pushed a little too much and now everything else is quieter! And you can't just lower it because they'll all move because now they're relative

Yeah the mixer is incredibly annoying and unintuitive, and it's been so for as long as I can remember. And I, too, saw that it's a common problem, so I think a plugin or something is my only option.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I was out of the country when 1809 rolled out and got back after MS stopped releasing the updates because of the file deletion bug; I heard they have fixed it since but I still don't have 1809 on my machine. Is something up?

I only ask because I heard it has a dark mode for File Explorer (finally) and I'd wanted that for a cold minute.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

s.i.r.e. posted:

I was out of the country when 1809 rolled out and got back after MS stopped releasing the updates because of the file deletion bug; I heard they have fixed it since but I still don't have 1809 on my machine. Is something up?

I only ask because I heard it has a dark mode for File Explorer (finally) and I'd wanted that for a cold minute.

Last I'd heard it was still back in beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

s.i.r.e. posted:

It is still going through release testing. No points for guessing why.

Probably not too hard to make Google spit out the right images; just make sure the hash values on whatever image you get are consistent with authoritative sources.

Or you can just, y'know, wait.