Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Ferrule posted:

It's the box, a record, the guest check, the napkin, the menu/lyric sheet, and the magnet. Number 341/1000. "Extra Cheese"

The top of the box is a bit pressed in. None of the perforated tabs are removed or punched through. There is a price tag on the upper corner of $9.98/

If you or anyone is serious I can post photos.

I would like photos. It sounds perfect though. $60?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
I am unreasonably excited to see Streetlight Manifesto play the entirety of Everything Goes Numb in Baltimore on Saturday. I always love seeing them live, as their horn section is so good, but playing EGN straight through is awesome since I consider it one of my top 5 albums of all time. The icing on the cake is Mephiskapheles as the opener.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ObsidianBeast posted:

I am unreasonably excited to see Streetlight Manifesto play the entirety of Everything Goes Numb in Baltimore on Saturday. I always love seeing them live, as their horn section is so good, but playing EGN straight through is awesome since I consider it one of my top 5 albums of all time. The icing on the cake is Mephiskapheles as the opener.

That whole album is a banger

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

ObsidianBeast posted:

Not unreasonable at all. Streetlight has never been surpassed in the genre.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Streetlight is honestly almost its own genre tbh

I saw that show (EGN in full with Mephiskapheles opening). I think Dan Potthast was there too. It was literally in a high school gym, which really contributed to the time-warp feeling of seeing that lineup play those songs.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Any idea if Mephiskapheles is with them for the entire tour?

They're going to be in town in mid-November but no mention on the SM or venue's websites.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Geoj posted:

Any idea if Mephiskapheles is with them for the entire tour?

They're going to be in town in mid-November but no mention on the SM or venue's websites.

These are their tour dates (shows with Streetlight are marked with a *), according to their Facebook page:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Maybe I'll go see them at Starland for the millionth time although the Pine Belt Arena was really quite a venue

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

My vote for best album this year is Talco - And the winner isn't... They're an Italian band, with some really insane horn lines.
Video: https://youtu.be/s3S-ZTz2AgU
Album: https://youtu.be/ZKkW6itA6rY

In other non-English ska news, a new Ska-P album just dropped but I haven't listened to it yet. I don't know why, but I wanted to dislike the Interrupters, but this album won me over.

Finally, Losing Streak > Borders > Rockview. They're all tightly bunched, but yeah.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I recently listened to an album called Searching for the Young Ska Rebels by a band called the Phoenix City All-Stars, which came out a couple of years ago but which I'm only getting around to now. It's a whole-album cover of the (great) Dexys Midnight Runners debut album Searching for the Young Soul Rebels in a ska style. I thought it was pretty listenable.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

New RBF song.....good?????? What year is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cUEZC2po8w

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who usually plays keyboards for RBF? I've noticed lots of their songs have these organ parts but they don't have any member who only plays keyboards; do any of them do it or do they usually get studio musicians in?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Fateo McMurray posted:

New RBF song.....good?????? What year is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cUEZC2po8w

Yeah what the hell, that is good.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

WaffleZombie posted:

My vote for best album this year is Talco - And the winner isn't... They're an Italian band, with some really insane horn lines.

In other non-English ska news, a new Ska-P album just dropped but I haven't listened to it yet. I don't know why, but I wanted to dislike the Interrupters, but this album won me over.

Finally, Losing Streak > Borders > Rockview. They're all tightly bunched, but yeah.

Talco loving owns and I had no idea they were still recording new music

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Ferrule rules. Thanks for the LTJ record!

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Who usually plays keyboards for RBF? I've noticed lots of their songs have these organ parts but they don't have any member who only plays keyboards; do any of them do it or do they usually get studio musicians in?

Scott played keys on all the classics. Discogs says Matt (Appleton) plays them on the rest after Scott left.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Fateo McMurray posted:

Ferrule rules. Thanks for the LTJ record!

Hey man, you did me a favor getting it our of my house. I hope everything is cool with it.

I have other weird ska stuff I got from various record stores I worked in or girls I dated that I should also offload.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Ferrule posted:

Hey man, you did me a favor getting it our of my house. I hope everything is cool with it.

I have other weird ska stuff I got from various record stores I worked in or girls I dated that I should also offload.

Post a list! I'm all for plugging holes in the "weird ska" part of my record collection.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

WaffleZombie posted:

There's a couple of good Italian bands, I've always liked Los Fastidios - more of a punk/oi band, but some ska stuff too.

The Basque Country and Spain in general in the eighties and nineties was also an insane goldmine for this type of band.

Kortatu - La Familia Iskariote

La Única Salida

French band Ya Basta! also has a few classics - Kamilia or Ouvrier

On the Dutch side there's Iedereen Zo Jotje (IZJ) and De Hardheid that I remember from the early 2000's.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Today is the 20th anniversary of Why Do They Rock So Hard, which is making me realize that it's about the be the 20th anniversary of pretty much every ska album that I love and I'm old and then I realized that the 20th anniversary of most of them actually passed over the last 18 months

esperantinc posted:

Post a list! I'm all for plugging holes in the "weird ska" part of my record collection.

:same:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm probably gonna be in my 50s by the time I can afford to fly to Japan to see TSPO I hope they are still around :ohdear:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Today is the 20th anniversary of Why Do They Rock So Hard, which is making me realize that it's about the be the 20th anniversary of pretty much every ska album that I love and I'm old and then I realized that the 20th anniversary of most of them actually passed over the last 18 months

:same:

I really think Why Do They Rock So Hard? might be my favorite ska album overall. Almost nonstop winners, so many good tracks on that album.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

guppy posted:

I really think Why Do They Rock So Hard? might be my favorite ska album overall. Almost nonstop winners, so many good tracks on that album.

It's funny, WDTRSH was pretty much my first real 3rd Wave ska album and mostly introduced me to the genre (although I listened to plenty of NOFXish Punk Rock and Madess/Specials 2ndwave beforehand) and WDTRSH introduced me to how much fun 3rd wave could be. I loved every song on that album, but now it seems so popbubblegum poo poo that I don't enjoy it anymore. :(

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Rock So Hard has She's Famous Now right

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Rock So Hard has She's Famous Now right
yes

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah that song bangs

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

New Specials album announced: https://pitchfork.com/news/the-specials-announce-first-album-of-new-music-in-20-years/

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

huh. so few left in the original lineup at this point--when they got back together in 08 it was p much everyone minus jerry, which was a disappointment given his contributions to the band, but it was still a proper "The Specials" reunion lineup without him. now you wouldn't be able to put together fun boy three with who's left.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why (and when) did Roddy Radiation leave? Always heard it was Dammers he had a problem with, not the other guys.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Why (and when) did Roddy Radiation leave? Always heard it was Dammers he had a problem with, not the other guys.

before brad died, supposedly to concentrate on his solo stuff

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember getting into the Specials (and the rest of 2 Tone by extension, having initially just been a fan of Madness) back in 2009 when they reformed and performed on Jools Holland and I'd never seen or heard anything like them. Hard to believe it's been nearly a decade since that happened and a shame that they've managed to shed most of the roster again. They're down to Terry, Horace and Lynval now, aren't they? I'm pretty sure they had more of the band together in the Today's Specials era.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Anyone know of a (semi) professionally-recorded version of Dixieland Sick and Sad?

Obviously not going to find a studio version, but I'd like something recorded off of a venue's mixer board instead of someone's phone.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember getting into the Specials (and the rest of 2 Tone by extension, having initially just been a fan of Madness) back in 2009 when they reformed and performed on Jools Holland and I'd never seen or heard anything like them. Hard to believe it's been nearly a decade since that happened and a shame that they've managed to shed most of the roster again. They're down to Terry, Horace and Lynval now, aren't they? I'm pretty sure they had more of the band together in the Today's Specials era.

You know, I never liked Madness even a little, but I love a lot of the somewhat lesser-known two tone bands like the Specials, the Selecter, and the [English] Beat. Saw the latter two at a joint show last year and it was great.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

announce the gat dang throwdown openers already

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm too lazy to actually do it but imagine I photoshopped the usual suspects onto a wheel of fortune wheel and give her a spin

e: there's a smaller secondary wheel for "2nd-wave bands on a one-off reunion show"

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Teemu Pokemon posted:

announce the gat dang throwdown openers already

Friday: The Aggrolites, The Stray Bullets
Saturday: Reggae Workers of the World (Vic Ruggerio & Jesse Wagner), Bedouin Soundclash
Sunday: Color Killer

holy poo poo that Saturday show sounds rad as all fuckin get out bedouin fuckin owns all the bones

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

gently caress Color Killer is that band with the 9 year old lead guitarist :stare:

e: the whole band is in like elementary school poo poo

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 7, 2018

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Haven't looked at this board in years, let alone this thread, but I've been playing around on Spotify a bit and two thoughts have hit me 1) Less Than Jake have aged extremely well 2) So has "Keep It Going" by the Mad Caddies.

edit; lol just realised that the last time I posted in this thread was just slightly over a decade ago. I'm old; LTJ and the Caddies still own.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
What the gently caress has Big D and the Kids Table done lately? I liked the direction their music was taking, though I am kind of under the impression that fans didn’t. Feels like a lot of bands dropped off the face of the earth five or so years ago. Big D, Mustard Plug, Catch 22, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Dave had the cancer scare and I think he's mostly producing or whatever now for the Dollies but I'm pretty sure they're still playing shows, probably just in Europe and New England local. I wasn't too enthused with where their sound was going with all the dub stuff but I definitely didn't hate it. I never sat down and listened to either Stomp or Stroll but I've heard a few tracks in passing and thought they were pretty decent

I saw the Caddies back in like May and they fuckin ruled and Dirty Rice (2016?) was a great album

e: they closed with All-American Badass and it was loving amazing

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 7, 2018