Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Both Peter and Homer were raped by their wives as a "joke"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BrigadierSensible posted:

You what?? I am going to need more info on this. I have not seen any of the Beethoven movies, but as far as I know the plot of them all is "Dog big, bad man tries take dog from nice family. He fails." Rinse repeat, and sometimes add smaller, but still big baby dogs.

How in the living gently caress did they fit in an attempted rape amongst the goon natured fun times.

It was the 80s. Rape was either a punchline or an excuse for some gratuitous tit shots.

Remember the date rape in 16 Candles? The near date rape in Back to the Future?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It was the 80s. Rape was either a punchline or an excuse for some gratuitous tit shots.

Remember the date rape in 16 Candles? The near date rape in Back to the Future?

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
marge raped homer so it evens out

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

datajugend posted:

marge raped homer so it evens out

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

That really weirded me out as a kid.

"Hey, honey, who should we hire to detail our cars for us? How about that guy who tried to rape you at prom? That sounds like the man I want around you and our children."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"Hey, honey, who should we hire to detail our cars for us? How about that guy who tried to rape you at prom? That sounds like the man I want around you and our children."

You remember how he was at the end of the movie though, right? Clearly George continued to break him psychologically over the years. Forcing Biff to serve his family isn’t a gesture of goodwill, it’s an act of humiliation.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

I don’t think that beach house was built to code.

Everyone seems pretty drat ok that they almost died though, pretty positive atmosphere at that party

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Samuringa posted:

Both Peter and Homer were raped by their wives as a "joke"

Remember how there was a South Park episode where Indiana Jones is raped by Steven Spielberg and George Lucas?

Remember how Star Wars fans outgrew that mindset in the intervening years?

(The answers to these questions may or may not be the same.)

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone remember a scene in Look who’s Talking where some dude is loving Bruce Willis’ mom while he’s still a fetus inside her and the dick is like poking him or something and it’s played off as a PG rated innocent laugh somehow? I swear to god I am not hosed up enough to have imagined this but I haven’t seen those movies since I was a kid, I think he might have even wrestled the dick

Edit: oh god I think the dick might of been John Travoltas

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Oct 11, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think mainstream movies in the 80s had more sex scenes than they do now in general, regardless of how they're presented.

The ones in Highlander or Terminator, for instance - I don't think you'd see something like that in a contemporary action blockbuster.

Edit: That said, even when I was little, I always assumed that "old movies" (not even the sort of action movies or thrillers that got run on late night television; I mean, I had this idea as a child that Stanley Kubrick's Spartacus was going to be closer in tone to Tinto Brass's Caligula before I saw it) always had more sex and violence in them than anything I'd seen at the time. I'm not sure why I had that impression because I can't remember it ever being borne out. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 16:34 on Oct 11, 2018

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Huh. Looking at this makes me realize that Biff doesn’t have it all that bad at the end of the movie. He owns his own business!

It brings to mind a lot of moments in movies in tv where someone is depicted as a loser for being stuck with a job that, nowadays, would be considered pretty decent. For example, I find it very hard to wrap my mind around how Homer’s job, which allows him to be a homeowner who supports his stay-at-home wife and three children, could be considered crappy. Apparently when the show came out it was though.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ariong posted:

Huh. Looking at this makes me realize that Biff doesn’t have it all that bad at the end of the movie. He owns his own business!

It brings to mind a lot of moments in movies in tv where someone is depicted as a loser for being stuck with a job that, nowadays, would be considered pretty decent. For example, I find it very hard to wrap my mind around how Homer’s job, which allows him to be a homeowner who supports his stay-at-home wife and three children, could be considered crappy. Apparently when the show came out it was though.

Reminds me of all the times people point out that Al Bundy must have been a fantastic women's shoes salesmen, considering how much his house would have to actually be worth.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

What kind of poo poo rear end warlord has to outsource to kill his own sex slaves

It's an initiation rite. If you kill them you become a member of his horde (which is completely pointless because you never see them again afterwards), if you fail to kill them the horde kills you.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Ariong posted:

Seriously, if I could get a job that paid enough to let me own a house and support a family, while also apparently allowing me to be a colossal idiot who does nothing all day for decades, completely anonymous to the company's owner unless it's relevant for plot purposes....

That's a dream.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Homer gets paid a perfectly fine wage. He just blows it.

That early episode with the RV revealed that Ned Flanders only makes slightly more money than Homer, but lives a much better lifestyle.

That said I don’t think Homer had good health benefits. Something about dental plans.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think mainstream movies in the 80s had more sex scenes than they do now in general, regardless of how they're presented.

The ones in Highlander or Terminator, for instance - I don't think you'd see something like that in a contemporary action blockbuster

Alexander
Troy
Watchmen

Also, Terminator was a low-budget thriller, not an action blockbuster.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ariong posted:

F R A N K G R I M E S D O T T X T

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toshimo posted:

Alexander
Troy
Watchmen

Fair enough, though all of those movies are about 10 years old or older now. :shrug:

I guess James Bond movies still do it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Ariong posted:

It's sort of like the comment I've mentioned before: 80s/90s movies painted working dads who couldn't be there all the time as garbage because they were so busy with work. Today, the dad who had a good enough job to be able to support his family, in addition to being able to support a full-time, at-home spouse, would be treated as a hero who is saving them all.

Along those lines, a plot point that probably doesn't get brought up as much in recent years in sitcoms is the occasional "housewife vs. working husband", probably because if both parents aren't working in some capacity, this whole family's in deep poo poo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I guess James Bond movies still do it.

Nope.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ariong posted:

It’s part of the weird time-dilation that defines The Simpsons, in that it was originally in part a critique of the previous generation’s sitcoms, where the dad was a white-collar success, competent, and reasonably sophisticated for the 50s-60s. That reference point has mostly moved out of living memory, or at least pop culture, so that if you say “you know, like Leave it to Beaver,” people generally don’t have firsthand experience with it or even know what the hell you’re talking about.

Now, The Simpsons itself occupies that place in the culture, and even what was contemporary then is kind of alien, and a stay-at-home mom/suburban home/factory-worker dad are so weird people don’t know how to receive them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Need Flanders made $20 more than Homer at one point. He did only have two kids instead of the 3 Homer has too. I don't think Maude had a job when she was alive so her death didn't really make a difference.

I think of The Simpsons as a 90s period piece. The show just doesn't make sense in the modern age.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't think Maude had a job when she was alive so her death didn't really make a difference.

Childcare is a pretty big difference, but yeah

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't think Maude had a job when she was alive so her death didn't really make a difference.

Wow, rude. But yes, increased child care costs for single parents are a thing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BOOSness Hammocks posted:

It’s part of the weird time-dilation that defines The Simpsons, in that it was originally in part a critique of the previous generation’s sitcoms, where the dad was a white-collar success, competent, and reasonably sophisticated for the 50s-60s. That reference point has mostly moved out of living memory, or at least pop culture, so that if you say “you know, like Leave it to Beaver,” people generally don’t have firsthand experience with it or even know what the hell you’re talking about.

Now, The Simpsons itself occupies that place in the culture, and even what was contemporary then is kind of alien, and a stay-at-home mom/suburban home/factory-worker dad are so weird people don’t know how to receive them.

The lifestyle of one working parent pretty much died off in the early 90's. I think that it was sorta still kinda normal around the time The Simpsons started. I know my mom was a stay at home parent until probably about 1989, and then it was only part time to coincide with my brother's preschool/kindergarten. I remember that in the early 90's latchkey kids were apparently a huge problem for society because of reasons.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Toshimo posted:

Alexander
Troy
Watchmen

Half those movies were made by Zack Snyder and the most recent one on that list is almost a decade old. TV shows are where the gratuitous sex scenes went.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
TV and movies have always had wonky depictions of economic class. Everybody lives in huge homes and has copious free time even if all the gags are about how poor they are. It's not because the standards of middle class success were vastly higher in 1989.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
i dont think there ever was a time when nuclear technician was considered a crappy job

e: fight club is a great example of this though. a man has a stable 9-5 job that pays enough to support his hobby of buying furniture he doesnt need and this is a bad thing because it's 'boring'? fuckers had no idea how good they had it

Gum has a new favorite as of 19:16 on Oct 11, 2018

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gum posted:

i dont think there ever was a time when nuclear technician was considered a crappy job

Depends where. In the soviet union it wasnt considered a great job in 1986.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Childcare is a pretty big difference, but yeah

Toshimo posted:

Wow, rude. But yes, increased child care costs for single parents are a thing.

I hadn't considered that. :ohdear:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's probably payback for her having an affair with that kid from school who looked just like "their" son.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

It's probably payback for her having an affair with that kid from school who looked just like "their" son.

:pusheen:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Gum posted:

e: fight club is a great example of this though. a man has a stable 9-5 job that pays enough to support his hobby of buying furniture he doesnt need and this is a bad thing because it's 'boring'? fuckers had no idea how good they had it
But it's unfulfilling because society has become so ~feminized~

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gum posted:

The only character you're supposed to find sympathetic in Fight Club is Bob.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

fruit BOO!ts posted:

You remember how he was at the end of the movie though, right? Clearly George continued to break him psychologically over the years. Forcing Biff to serve his family isn’t a gesture of goodwill, it’s an act of humiliation.
Yeeeah that doesn't make it better. So it's all about how George can feel like the big man and Lorraine is just fine with having him around because she wasn't really raped so no trauma!
Also wouldn't the insinuation be that before Marty goes back they were then living next to the man who successfully raped her in highschool?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sarcopenia posted:

Yeeeah that doesn't make it better. So it's all about how George can feel like the big man and Lorraine is just fine with having him around because she wasn't really raped so no trauma!
Also wouldn't the insinuation be that before Marty goes back they were then living next to the man who successfully raped her in highschool?

In the original timeline she went to prom with George because Marty wasn’t there to scare him away. The rape part is just one small ripple that makes the new universe Marty made a secret hell for everyone.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Stairs posted:

Funny but true: an Indian friend of mine had no idea he *wasn't* Indian until I explained. To be fair he only saw Short Circuit 2 and Ben was less comic relief and stereotypical in that one.

A few pages back but there is this kid in a bunch of Disney shows these days that is Indian and he speaks in a completely normal accent but the shows make him sound like Apu. It's kinda gross.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Alhazred posted:

The only character you're supposed to find sympathetic in Fight Club is Bob.

His name was Robert Paulson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sarcopenia posted:

This bullying from George is what inspires Biff to strike back in the sequel. Marty ultimately is the one to break the cycle of toxic masculinity by accepting the label of “chicken” with stoicism.