Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm not sure a clearance has been worth anything since the massive cutbacks around the sequester

lotta S and TS clearances running around working for piss

i can say that culturally there are a lot of ARE COUNTRY people here too (which is, er, a big part of my job search, and maybe partly my recent brain problems too, given recent events)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm not sure a clearance has been worth anything since the massive cutbacks around the sequester

lotta S and TS clearances running around working for piss

ah that’s a good point i left the biz immediately before that happened

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

how are you taking home less than $52k a year on a $94k salary?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

the talent deficit posted:

how are you taking home less than $52k a year on a $94k salary?

yeah, i wanted to ask that. maybe hes maxing out 401k and ira like a good boy

(maybe he's sniffing it)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah, i wanted to ask that. maybe hes maxing out 401k and ira like a good boy

(maybe he's sniffing it)

401k is maxed, yes, and last I checked it was at ~160k total (well before today lol)

i was taught never to count it as an asset though, which i constantly fear will end with the money disappearing into the nether as I have no beneficiaries but hey maybe I will actually make it to retirement

but i mean hell i go straight down that far in take-home just on income tax, not sure what you mean by "only" 52k? :confused:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 11, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Uh, paying 42k of income tax when you're only earning 94k would be like, a 45% tax rate. There's no way your income tax is that high.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ciaphas posted:

401k is maxed, yes, and last I checked it was at ~160k total (well before today lol)

i was taught never to count it as an asset though, which i constantly fear will end with the money disappearing into the nether as I have no beneficiaries but hey maybe I will actually make it to retirement

but i mean hell i go straight down that far in take-home just on income tax, not sure what you mean by "only" 52k? :confused:

when I was making 95k my take home was like 75k after maxing 401k. you're deductions are hosed up somewhere or you're getting bent the gently caress over on insurance and you should opt out and go on the exchange. nothing about those numbers make sense.

I make 137k now and my effective take home is like 100k after 401k and deductions and poo poo. do you see how almost half your income disappearing to ? doesn't make sense?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Ciaphas posted:

just kinda wanted a nice ev i guess

at the time it didnt seem quite so unacceptable

I'm seriously considering the Honda Clarity plug-in if this job goes through since employer pays for car charging juice at work.

will work the gas/brake for you in heavy traffic, much better and bigger interior than the Volt, dealers give out mad deals on them all the time, is a Honda.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
yeah my take home is around the same (biweekly almost 2k on the dot) and my gross salary is 76,500. im not maxing my 401k tho, although i am contributing. youre making 23% more than i am but are taking home less? that cant all be due to the 401k

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

apologies, i did the math wrong earlier. my takehome (assuming no LWOP) is about 63k annually. to say i'm getting wrecked on my shitearse insurance is still true though. assholes.

(e) but yeah i just have budget improving to do

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 11, 2018

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

idk what the c++ market looks like.
for completely unscientific anecdotes, most of my cohort that are negotiating new-grad offers for systems-y (c or c++) roles right now are in the 140-165 base range, average 25k signing and 15% bonus and various equity offerings depending on the company. these are pretty much all Bay Area for context but a couple got remote offers

edit: the higher compensation packages are coming from places like Salesforce, Apple, Palantir for reference

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I need to learn me some C++

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

for completely unscientific anecdotes, most of my cohort that are negotiating new-grad offers for systems-y (c or c++) roles right now are in the 140-165 base range, average 25k signing and 15% bonus and various equity offerings depending on the company. these are pretty much all Bay Area for context but a couple got remote offers

edit: the higher compensation packages are coming from places like Salesforce, Apple, Palantir for reference

what the gently caress? is this just the effect of the low CoL in the vegas area? i'm not poor by even the faintest stretch but i've never felt so underpaid while so clearly being overpaid as a profession :psyduck:

(e) i don't pay state income tax as a nevadan btw

(e2) oh you even typed bay area nevermind lmao

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 11, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

what the gently caress? is this just the effect of the low CoL in the vegas area? i'm not poor by even the faintest stretch but i've never felt so underpaid while so clearly being overpaid as a profession :psyduck:

(e) i don't pay state income tax as a nevadan btw

this is what a cartel that's completely broken in like a 50 mile radius of palo alto and completely intact almost everywhere else looks like

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

this is what a cartel that's completely broken in like a 50 mile radius of palo alto and completely intact almost everywhere else looks like

well no hang on, i thought cost of living was through the roof in that selfsame radius, was the point, right?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

well no hang on, i thought cost of living was through the roof in that selfsame radius, was the point, right?

dude i know gets paid 400k total comp and saves 90% his take home. on track to retire in 4 years. age 28. hates his life a lot but its a fuckton of money

cost of living is about 1.5x to 2x. durable goods are same price nationally, home prices are turbofucked. you can still make money if you don't buy bottle service at the bar every weekend or something like that

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Ciaphas posted:

(e) but yeah i just have budget improving to do
stop spending so much on candles

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Peeny Cheez posted:

stop spending so much on candles

ok is this an injoke because it sounds like good readin if so

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472?lang=en

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384411458794057728

e: it got a fuckton of currency in blue story's legendary bfc/gws/en thread cuz she was spending about her rent * 1.5 on star wars toys and fast food

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Ciaphas posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472

[edit]sukk my butt, bob

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

@dril is an eternal ever-loving treasure

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ciaphas posted:

the thing is that it really doesn't apply, you don't have one thing ur spending $texas on but a bunch of stuff that's a little higher than it probably could be if you shopped around for a better deal

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

carry on then posted:

the thing is that it really doesn't apply, you don't have one thing ur spending $texas on but a bunch of stuff that's a little higher than it probably could be if you shopped around for a better deal

he bought his car new

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

it's a combination of CoL and the candidates I'm describing, I suspect

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

TimWinter posted:

I need to learn me some C++

I make da c++ in the mid west and make half of that

lol

I do live in a huge gently caress off house that would be completely out of my range if I was in sf making 150k though.

The dipshit across the street drives a tesla so it's basically the same.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

he bought his car new

leased, but yes :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

it's a combination of CoL and the candidates I'm describing, I suspect

... 1.5x my base pay plus mega benefits right out of college?

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
tim algorithms said that if he were to ever be removed from administrator by the brain that the brain would run a program to kill him. also i'm am still questining the brain's inability to communicate with me. tim's algorithms are recommending a resource upgrade, perhaps similar to what was done at 11am to get the brain and myself synced

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

i also got paid more than you my first job out of college, altho not as much, but more equity

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
new grads earn completely insane figgies in the us west coast tech hubs, yes. http://danluu.com/bimodal-compensation/

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

so basically by living about 350 miles away from a tech hub (400?) in the loving burning desert and working at a hateful job for people who (in an abstract disconnected way but still, USAF contractor) murder nonwhites with r/c planes for oil, i've been getting hosed in every available orifice in terms of figgies

yeah, that about adds up

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 11, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

so basically by living about 350 miles away from a tech hub (400?) in the loving burning desert and working at a hateful job for people who murder nonwhites with r/c planes for oil, i've been getting hosed in every available orifice in terms of figgies

yeah, that about adds up

yes

it's why the nsa can't hack worth poo poo anymore, they have to start peeps at 75k and government pay in the payscale only goes up to 140k or so, lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

gently caress i want to quit just to spite them and just leave

just... go

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

I mean it’s a #1 school, so yeah

New grads here stack cash

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I made what you make with 0 professional experience in Seattle and now I make significantly more than that ~2 years out. Just by staying at your job for so long you've been getting hosed on salary really.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

hah. been completely wrong since I left college then.

well.

ggood to know

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

yes

it's why the nsa can't hack worth poo poo anymore, they have to start peeps at 75k and government pay in the payscale only goes up to 140k or so, lol

you can find nsa job postings on stackoverflow careers and the pay ranges are sh-sh-sh-shameful for the skills being requested

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

prisoner of waffles posted:

you can find nsa job postings on stackoverflow careers and the pay ranges are sh-sh-sh-shameful for the skills being requested

i saw a job posting from them at 67k

annualized, i got paid more than that at my internship

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
it's really weird and arbitrary how certain jobs are compensated

I got a bite from a recruiter looking to hire a head instructor for a coding school. responsibilities to include preparing courses, reviewing and improving courses prepared by other instructors, teaching and assisting students, reviewing other instructors' performance-- multiple critical aspects of a business that's supposed to turn out (at least baby) coders. salary on offer was less than I made as a sw dev w/ 1 year of experience.

afaict, even specialized educators who create other skilled people in highly-demanded areas are ridiculously undercompensated. CS professors at the moment e.g.

assuming the nsa has its arms around the problem and isn't already getting pay scales bumped or just Contracting Out Everything, the nsa is gonna have to pay a private company to make (and maintain / update) the curriculum for a training program that takes people who don't have very good aptitude for everything that the NSA does and gets them up to a basic level. then those people will leave the nsa for industry where they will get paid a lot more until the labor market gets saturated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Pendragon posted:

company does whiteboarding with generic programming problems:
"bad company, you shouldn't do toy problems"

ugh. last interview was a toy problem where in the end they were wanting to evaluate code organization and how I broke apart problems and code organization

And like a dumbass whose brain shutdown the second he picked up the Expo marker, I wrote it all in a single function.