Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

quote:

The anime follows Sakura Minamoto, who dreams of being an idol, but is hit by a car and wakes up as a zombie. A man named Kōtarō Tatsumi appears and tells her he's recruiting her into an idol group made up of zombies, dead girls he has "recruited" from several eras of Japanese history.

Anime Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NCTH0Uo8CQ

Anime Opening
https://streamable.com/3uy2a

Staff

Director: Munehisa Sakai (Suite Precure, Sailor Moon Crystal
Series Composition: Shigeru Murakoshi (Kakegurui, Garo - Vanishing Line)
Character design: Kasumi Fukagawa (Persona 3 the Movie)
Music: Yasuharu Takanashi (Fresh to Smile Precure)

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Latest episode triggered my performance anxiety cringe hard, but man was it a fun ending.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This show loving rules, episode 2 was fantastic.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Miyano is sure killing it in this as Kotoro and Kaede Hondo is more than keeping up as Sakura

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Miyano is sure killing it in this as Kotoro and Kaede Hondo is more than keeping up as Sakura

Please add this to the OP, thanks

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

That second episode is making me more confident that this show can keep it up. What a joy this is turning out to be.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Every line out of Miyano's mouth so far has been perfect, he's hilarious in this role.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Julias posted:

Please add this to the OP, thanks

Done!

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

What a loving fantastic ep 2

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I *do* wonder if we’re going to get an explanation for why Sakura and pals get to wake up and keep their minds and poo poo as zombies. Like the show clearly doesn’t and really shouldn’t give a poo poo about Lore, but it does stick out a bit.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Well it could be the manner of death, the scene didn't really focus on it because it would be pretty gruesome but by the scar she has on her head it looked like she got a really bad head injury from the accident.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I hope the legendary Tae Yamada never wakes up and keeps being the team mascot.
Courtesan MVP of episode 2.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Zwiebel posted:

I hope the legendary Tae Yamada never wakes up and keeps being the team mascot.
Courtesan MVP of episode 2.

Based on the bumpers it looks like she's gonna be sleeping a while.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I can't wait to see where it goes from here, the rap was surprisingly good.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh god, what is it with 2018 that's delivering so much choice anime? At which point did the normally super rigid people who approve projects said "HELL YEAH, UNDEAD IDOLS TACKLE DIFFERENT GENRES PER EPISODE. THAT'S WHERE THE GRAVY TRAIN AND GOLD-PLATED DIAPERS ARE, BABY" and went on their merry ways?

... you know what? I'm fine either way. I love this drat show already.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

That was great. Please give me a different performance genre every episode, thanks.

Kotaro covertly starting to beatbox killed me, I am now a zombie

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Show is being funded by Cygames too so if it takes off expect a Granblue crossover so you can team them up with Aquors and Idolmaster

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Episode 2 didn't disappoint, this has to be my favorite show this season so far.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 11, 2018

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

drat moreso than anything mappa related, the op gives off strong samurai flamenco vibes to me for some reason which is very good

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

This sure is a mamoru miyano role alright. Man, the musical bits are so much more inspired than everything else. The lead-up to the end in both these first two episodes was mad boring, honestly, I think it's a shame the show can't have the same kinda energy it has in its best bits more often. It'll prolly find a better groove as it goes on and the girls are more thoroughly fleshed out and get over the what-the-gently caress-is-happening awkwardness. The ending was dopeplus I love that the cop actually rapped back, but the execution and sense of humor otherwise are lukewarm for me, so I'm still kinda halfsies on it. OP ruled.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/sGLw1yTENoof245/status/1050400910344511488

The opening actually reminded me of a peak SHAFT Zetsubo opening

https://twitter.com/senpainotes/status/1050431763846189059

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Show owns. Good show.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I wouldn't say the rest of the show is bad but the musical numbers are absolutely incredible.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
That mike drop was the perfect loving capstone.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
This is the most Mamoru Miyano role ever devised, for Mamoru Miyano.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Caphi posted:

This is the most Mamoru Miyano role ever devised, for Mamoru Miyano.

Yeah this role was pretty clearly written with him in mind.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Where the gently caress is Woody Harrelson

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
I tried giving this a shot after hearing people gush about the first episode, but I don't think it's for me. Every character besides Sakura (and maybe the child actress girl with the weird external heart) is a huge rear end in a top hat, *especially* the manager guy. His whole "Why are you a zombie? SHUT UP, YOU JUST ARE. Why is this plain looking zombie girl 'legendary'? SHUT UP, SHE JUST IS." bit really rubbed me the wrong way, like he's yelling at the audience for attempting to think about the premise of the show beyond just the surface level. I know lots of people say that characters don't have to be likable to be good characters, but for me personally, if I don't like a character then I don't care what happens to them and therefore I don't really want to consume whatever piece of media they're in anymore.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Where the gently caress is Woody Harrelson
No Woody Harrelson, but he'll be in your heart... if you imagine this one song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EI8JN-fSLo

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I completely hadn't seen this series coming and I usually hate idol shows, but I'm loving this. Performances are on point, musical scenes are surreal, and good old zombie physical comedy. I like how it's all somehow improbably wrapped up into a tourism board anime for a middle of nowhere rural prefecture.

My favorite thing so far is how the Legendary Yamada Tae is listed in the credits as voiced by "????".

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Well it could be the manner of death, the scene didn't really focus on it because it would be pretty gruesome but by the scar she has on her head it looked like she got a really bad head injury from the accident.

Since we specifically see her head hit the ground without getting a huge gash in it, and she seems to have some sort of memories of being on stage as an idol, my guess is that she actually survived the car accident in the beginning, became a successful idol, and then was killed by an axe to the head or something.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The one thing I lament is that SatoshiMiwa beat me to the punch in creating the thread and we couldn't use the doofus title I had in mind :cheeky:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Are you sure your favorite idol in other series isn't a Zombie as well?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
It just dawned on me that the fact that her computer was running windows XP and used as a DVD player was foreshadowing

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Watch as Tae is revealed to have been voiced by KanaHana all this time.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I think you can hear JUNNA in the opening song which is sung by all the zombie girls, she might be the voice of Tae. Altough she hasn't done any voice acting before so I dunno.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ibblebibble posted:

Watch as Tae is revealed to have been voiced by KanaHana all this time.
I wouldn't put it past this project to do a goofy stunt casting like that, taking into account that she did the "Zawa, zawa" effects for one segment of the Middle Manager Tonegawa series.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait, JUNNA is in this anime?

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014
So some guy with a shovel and Necronomicon dug up dead girls to make an idol band?

I'm in.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemadras posted:

Kotaro covertly starting to beatbox killed me, I am now a zombie
I loved that part. The whole episode was a slam-dunk of emotions, music, zombies and not-Mamoru-Miyano-but-totally-voiced-by-Mamoru-Miyano being larger than life. This and double decker are depantsing everything else this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Show is being funded by Cygames too so if it takes off expect a Granblue crossover so you can team them up with Aquors and Idolmaster

Shadowverse already has a tie-in event, didn't take long.