Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, from the Star Wars Explained videos about the pre TFA novels and such its pretty much like this

FO is out there, but no one really thinks they're a threat. Just a bunch of ex imperials out on the Rim and they won't trouble anyone unless something bugs them. That's why people think the Resistance are extremists. Its like people who think Antifa are extremists because they want to punch Nazis.

But at the same time, there are people like Leia and others who actually do see the FO as a threat, and their intelligence says that yes, they have a force that is at least equal to the New Republics bare bones fleet. As the NR was trying to distance itself from the militarism of the Empire and before that the Clone Wars era Republic, they had made a conscious choice to limit their military forces. Though there are those in the Senate who are totally "you know, everything was pretty great during the Empire, except for that whole blowing up planets thing, but then didn't they deserve it?" both naively and because they were agents of the First Order. Leia was exposed as Vaders daughter by these guys and they used that to destroy her reputation in the galaxy.

I really like looking at the ships and seeing what they were cobbled together from, also the old empire gear being repurposed by the pirates was a neat touch.

Well the First Order was still weaker then the New Republic. Until Starkiller base fired. Then having wiped out most of the New Republic Military they were the dominant Military Power.

Also the First Order is largely located in the unknown Regions not the Outer Rim. Because even less is known about that area, the First Order is even further underestimated. Cause most of the Galaxy does not think there is anything of note there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That was always one thing I thought was kind of interesting about the old EU - it might have carried over, I'm not sure - namely that the Republic and the Empire both cover only a relatively small part of the galaxy and there are vast swathes of space most people have never been to (space being big and all). I think that may be an interesting place for a tv show or a new movie (or even Episode IX!) to go.

Of course, this is the world where the chief of the Jedi library decided it was impossible for a planet to exist because she didn't have it on file, so I assume most people are very into Republican/Imperial Exceptionalism. :v:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It's hosed up that the EU had a more coherent and realistic political fallout post-ROTJ with the Empire splitting into warlord states.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's hosed up that the EU had a more coherent and realistic political fallout post-ROTJ with the Empire splitting into warlord states.

That happened. The First Order is one of them. The new canon pretty much just states it took a year before the Empire devided into a bunch of warlord states.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In complete fairness if you just look at the movies and ignore everything else you could be forgiven for assuming the Empire just ended when they blew up the second Death Star. :v:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder if the Knights of Ren will show up in Resistance

Still holding out hope that some FO schmuck will say "I bid you dark greetings!"

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I reckon it'd be fun to have Iden Versio, Gideon Hask, Del Meeko, or Shriv show up in an episode of Resistance. Hell, they could even have the first three show up in The Mandalorian, since the character models were 3D renders of the actual actors doing the voices.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

NTRabbit posted:

I reckon it'd be fun to have Iden Versio, Gideon Hask, Del Meeko, or Shriv show up in an episode of Resistance. Hell, they could even have the first three show up in The Mandalorian, since the character models were 3D renders of the actual actors doing the voices.

That'd certainly be a nice way to introduce them to people who don't play video games - because what kind of idiot puts important lore and world-building into a platform not everyone has access to or is interested in?

What is this, Kingdom Hearts?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
That could simply be an easter egg, they might not be plot relevant

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

In complete fairness if you just look at the movies and ignore everything else you could be forgiven for assuming the Empire just ended when they blew up the second Death Star. :v:

It was actually after they blew up the fourth one

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Azhais posted:

There've only been 2 Death Stars so far.

Vinylshadow posted:

That'd certainly be a nice way to introduce them to people who don't play video games - because what kind of idiot puts important lore and world-building into a platform not everyone has access to or is interested in?

What is this, Kingdom Hearts?

You realize Star Wars has been a cross-media franchise for decades, right?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Azhais posted:

NO DON'T

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

You realize Star Wars has been a cross-media franchise for decades, right?

The movies have always been most important, though. My dad finally got seeing Solo recently on dvd and he said he was enjoying it until Darth Maul showed up because it completely took him out of the movie; said he had no idea where that came from. I told him he came back in the cartoons and he said it would've been nice if that had been explained in the movie, because as far as he's concerned Darth Maul has been dead since he was chopped in half and fell down a bottomless pit in 1999.

As I've said before, it doesn't strike me as terribly fair to make it incumbent on people to seek these things out so they understand what's going on in the movie they've bought their ticket for. My dad doesn't have the time or really the interest in watching children's cartoons to get the necessary backstory for the movie. In your opinion, is it unreasonable for him to be annoyed like that?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

The movies have always been most important, though. My dad finally got seeing Solo recently on dvd and he said he was enjoying it until Darth Maul showed up because it completely took him out of the movie; said he had no idea where that came from. I told him he came back in the cartoons and he said it would've been nice if that had been explained in the movie, because as far as he's concerned Darth Maul has been dead since he was chopped in half and fell down a bottomless pit in 1999.

As I've said before, it doesn't strike me as terribly fair to make it incumbent on people to seek these things out so they understand what's going on in the movie they've bought their ticket for. My dad doesn't have the time or really the interest in watching children's cartoons to get the necessary backstory for the movie. In your opinion, is it unreasonable for him to be annoyed like that?

It's an enviable level of being protected from spoilers, though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

I mean...is he completely incapable of accepting the idea of stuff happening "off screen"? Even if you don't know the circumstances of Darth Maul's return...the fact that he's back can still be a cool Wow moment

EDIT: Also, I'm glad he enjoyed around 90% of the movie.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Unreasonable? I don't know. But I don't think it matters if you knew he was still alive or not. You know now, and now the question is "how?" and there are ways to find out. I suspect there'll be more of that explored later anyway.

I mean it's almost a trope that a long-dead badguy suddenly resurfaces.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I might be projecting a bit; my dad's very easily entertained but Darth Maul in Solo was the one thing I really disliked about it. There's the reasons I've described, and there's the fact that Maul's story already had an ending on television. Presumably Maul would have been the villain in putative Solo sequels if that movie hadn't failed at the box office, so I'm not sure how you can really turn that into a satisfactory arc if this is just one chapter in his story, which we already know concludes some time later and farther away.

Anyway, this isn't a thread for movies. I suppose I'm just not a huge fan of Maul coming back in the first place, to be honest, even though I did enjoy his story arc in Clone Wars. I know it was one of Lucas's big pieces of input into the Clone Wars cartoon (if Filoni is to be believed, and I see no reason to doubt him) but there you go.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
as far as i remember maul bring a crime lord isn't explained in the cartoons either

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

site posted:

as far as i remember maul bring a crime lord isn't explained in the cartoons either

Rebels talked about him being the despot in charge of Mandalore for a while, was there a timeframe given? I don't recall. Having some crime syndicate working for him at that point wouldn't be that crazy

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Azhais posted:

Rebels talked about him being the despot in charge of Mandalore for a while, was there a timeframe given? I don't recall. Having some crime syndicate working for him at that point wouldn't be that crazy

that happened in the tail end of clone wars, he conspired with house vizla to take mandalore from obi wans gf and her pacifist council

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's a good thing Maul only makes a brief appearance at the end then, right around the time when it's generally ok to be taken out of a movie for various reasons that someone has been enjoying for various other reasons.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

site posted:

that happened in the tail end of clone wars, he conspired with house vizla to take mandalore from obi wans gf and her pacifist council

Maul's last appearance in Clone Wars (for now) ends with Sidious killing Savage and blasting him with Force lightning. He next appears in Rebels, showing up on Malachor 15 years later where he meets and befriends Ezra. His appearance of Solo is in between but I'm not sure what else is.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

He's in a comic which is a continuation of his Clone Wars arc, and he should be appearing in the new series of Clone Wars if they're sticking to what they've already revealed about the plans for Siege of Mandalore.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anybody know what Mike Zeroh's deal is? Is he just a troll, like a new version of SuperShadow? Does he actually have an inside track? What's his accuracy rate been like in the past?

Whenever I try to search for Star Wars news, I get almost nothing but articles from the Daily Express website (it's a lovely tabloid in print and somehow even worse online) whose arts editor (!) seems to do nothing but post articles whinging about Last Jedi (it didn't respect his fan theories) and reposting Mike Zeroh links as verified fact.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Mike Zeroh makes up every single thing he posts. He’s so notoriously inaccurate that he’s literally become an inside joke at Lucasfilm. Don’t bother with any of his stuff.

For solid leaks, I follow MakingStarWars, Star Wars NewsNet, and the r/starwarsleaks subreddit that aggregates those two plus random twitter stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's just frustrating. I won't post the screen capture but I just searched "Star Wars Episode 9" on Google News and seven of the 10 results on the first page were from the loving Daily Express, almost all of which are sourced from Mike Zeroh, then two more are from DigitalSpy, which isn't a whole lot better, and the last one is from Inverse, which I know nothing about but is probably more clickbait.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Like Big Mean Jerk said, just stick to MakingStarWars and StarWarsNewsNet and you'll be fine. They both have high success rates for their scoops for the Disney era so far. And often times even some of their reported scoops/leaks which don't end up happening in the movies, get later proven as something Disney was planning to do before changing it in development. i.e. Luke's hand floating through space at the beginning of TFA, the cut Caretaker scene from TLJ, etc..

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When the prequels were coming out, I didn't have much sense of how to use the Internet so I mostly relied on starwars.com and its message board for news (which apropos of nothing is probably the single most right-wing message board I've ever been part of). I would've only started looking for spoilers circa 2003/2004 came out, when I would've been around 12, but I was aware of SuperShadow and even then I knew his stuff was a load of rubbish.

I heard some spoilers for TFA through the FullofSith podcast (for instance, the Resistance having a superweapon which they'd use to disable the First Order star destroyer and let let Poe and his team in to attack the Death Star) then basically ignored just about everything for TLJ because there seemed to be far more fan-theorising than spoilers and I don't give two shits for fan theories (as I've said before, I ended up enjoying the movie more than I think most people did, and maybe that's one of the reasons why :v:). I've only recently become interested in the Episode IX stuff. No particular reason; I'm more interested in Star Wars than Marvel or DC movies so I'm more inclined to pay attention to it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I remember a few months before AOTC came out, a blow by blow plot description of the entire movie leaked. I remember getting as far as “Death sticks” and saying, “Never mind, this sounds like bullshit” and moving then.

Flash forward to sitting in the theater, and everything I had read being right. “No...no surely not...”, “You wanna buy some death sticks?”

God dammit.”

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of the few early spoilers/rumours* for Last Jedi that I did see suggested that Kylo and Hux were going to meet with Snoke on some Mordor planet where Snoke was going to kill Hux immediately for losing his Death Star; that stuck with me to the point where I was really confused about why Domhnall Gleason was doing so much promotion for the movie and then in the scene where Snoke's giant hologram head shows up to give him a hard time I assumed he was going to execute him.

As far as the prequels go, the only thing I remember was a rumour about Mace Windu having a big rematch with Boba Fett, which I absolutely believed, because of course everyone knows Boba Fett is the ultimate badass super-soldier. Does anybody else remember that one?

* Pretty much just this and Rey having an exchange with Luke that went: "Are you my father?" No, you are my father!"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
All this is why this shirt exists

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/2512566-speculate-responsibly

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

As far as the prequels go, the only thing I remember was a rumour about Mace Windu having a big rematch with Boba Fett, which I absolutely believed, because of course everyone knows Boba Fett is the ultimate badass super-soldier. Does anybody else remember that one?
This was actually somewhat true. There's an illustration or two of it in the Episode 3 art book, but the idea was dropped because it would have been too much deviation from the main story of the movie, and Fett would've been too young to believably pull it off.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It did get recycled into a TCW episode IIRC, with Young Boba hiring Bossk and Aurra Sing to help him try and capture Mace.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

God, I remember SuperShadow had me believing all sorts of bullshit back in the day.

Ultimately it's what made me decide to never pay attention to Star Wars rumors ever again.

Fool me twice, you won't get fooled again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AndyElusive posted:

God, I remember SuperShadow had me believing all sorts of bullshit back in the day.

Did you know that General Grievous has a higher power level midichlorian count than Mace Windu?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Pictures of a conspicuous pair of props from Favreau's instagram:

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Wow no way.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Its time for Willrow Hood to make a comeback

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
A Mr. Fusion?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What kind of ice cream do you think mandolorians like? Cookie dough I hope.

I was just thinking about Super Shadow the other day. I always wondered if they were a joke, soneone with mental problems or just a fan way to obsessed with star wars and felt they could extrude influence on it by force of will. I remember they claimed to be the one making the TV show.