Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I will defend the Smith/Capaldi room until I die. Up to that point none of the new rooms felt like the TARDIS to me and the first time we saw it it was like an old friend coming home.
And cramped? Its flippin huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think my favourite is the first Matt Smith console room, for how it amps up the best aspects of 9/10's console while also adding a lot more space and opportunities for cool shots.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

I will defend the Smith/Capaldi room until I die. Up to that point none of the new rooms felt like the TARDIS to me and the first time we saw it it was like an old friend coming home.
And cramped? Its flippin huge.

It is huge, but they really didn't quite know how to shoot it in the early goings. I mean, when it first shows up in The Snowmen, it feels like they're in an 8'x8' closet because of the angles.

Mameluke posted:

I think my favourite is the first Matt Smith console room, for how it amps up the best aspects of 9/10's console while also adding a lot more space and opportunities for cool shots.

The design of it is absolutely lovely. Shame about the practicalities, though.

Anyway, the best console room is 7's in the TV movie, shame on y'all. :colbert:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I like the general look of it, but it feels too spread out. The console doesn’t feel central to the room, and the whole thing feels like one big rectangular room.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It didn't help the feel that the more industrial/traditional control room for Smith was introduced with the Doctor being all withdrawn and reclusive.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
That's clearly 1 and 3/4 of a Metagross.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean.. I'm a big fan of NuWho experimenting with the Tardis design, and I feel like, while cool, Smith No2/Capaldi's Tardis interior played it a bit too safe (plus, it didn't feel like a complete set until they added furniture).

This one might be a big failure, but at least they tried something new.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Smith's first room is good for size and design but I have hated the console since that first episode. "Built out of literal garbage" is not a good aesthetic.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I liked the RTD console, where a handful of instruments had been repaired with Earth stuff, but yeah, it was maybe a bit much. I liked Smith's actual console unit though (the big hexagon thing, not the stuff on it). Felt just the right amount of 'alien biomechanical', like it could have equally been grown or built.

Also, Smith's first room was built into the framework of the Torchwood Hub set to save money and once you see it you can never unseen it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Matinee posted:

Also, Smith's first room was built into the framework of the Torchwood Hub set to save money and once you see it you can never unseen it.

I'm looking and I don't really see it. You mean the infrastructure of the set was used?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rhyno posted:

I'm looking and I don't really see it. You mean the infrastructure of the set was used?

Yeah. At one point before proper filming began they were even doing publicity events with the subway style Torchwood walls still visible.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
TV Movie console room is obvs best. There’s a dude on a Who prop FB group who has a replica McGann console room at home (giant struts and all) and it’s amazing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Isn't the original console in a garage in California or something?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

Isn't the original console in a garage in California or something?

Yeah, dude rescued and restored it. He brings it to conventions now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, dude rescued and restored it. He brings it to conventions now.

That's awesome, it makes me so happy that it survived. Also I want to visit that replica of it. My wife told me years ago that if we buy a house I can do whatever I want with the basement so there would be a very likely chance the walls would be adorned with round things.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like the sort of dark, sterile control room from that evil TARDIS from "The Lodger".

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like the sort of dark, sterile control room from that evil TARDIS from "The Lodger".

That never went anywhere, did it? Like we never even knew where that was from, because it was onto the cracks and A Plot.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Silence did it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Astroman posted:

That never went anywhere, did it? Like we never even knew where that was from, because it was onto the cracks and A Plot.

Yeah you were supposed to infer that it was the Silence ship from Impossible Astronaut had gone adrift or something.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
S37E02 is called "The Ghost Monument".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Chris Chibnall posted:

"Mesopotamia."

That was the last word of dialogue to be filmed for this set of Doctor Who episodes, on set on Friday 3 August at Roath Lock Studios. Done, wrapped, finished.

It felt a long way from the first yell of "Action!" on Halloween last year. Back then, standing there in the dark, in our hard hats, we were pondering the wisdom of starting with such a complex and crucial sequence. And now here we are, out the other side, nearly ten months filming all done, on new stories, new characters - and a new Doctor.

It's thrilling to think there will be children encountering Jodie's Doctor in the next few weeks who've never seen the show before. She'll be forever their Doctor: every Doctor is a first Doctor for someone. And everybody reading this magazine knows that once this show lodges in your heart it never really lets go.

There's a new opening title sequence too, and a new arrangement of the opening theme, by our brilliant new composer Segun Akinola. You'll have to wait till episode two to see those in situ, though. Episode one starts slightly differently.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

The_Doctor posted:

Dope rear end poo poo

I understand we're supposed to be the "guh but he wrote cyberwoman" thread, but I am so fuckin' stoked for this new season.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

cool kids inc. posted:

I understand we're supposed to be the "guh but he wrote cyberwoman" thread, but I am so fuckin' stoked for this new season.

If nothing else, Chibnalls heart is absolutely in the right place, and his vision for the show seems cool. It could be disappointing in the execution, but he's got me excited!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Do we have anything regarding the script for episode 1?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Episode 3 details... considering it's been written by Malorie Blackman, I feel a lot more confident. Although I'm suddenly remembering that weren't Zygons sighted on set for this one? And they've since claimed there's no old/classic monsters?

Episode 3: Rosa

The Doctor takes her companions on their first journey back in time - to the dangerous, racially segregated world of Alabama in the 1950s. They encounter one of the era's heroes, black civil rights campaigner Rosa Parks, but also discover a plot to change the course of history. Vinette Robinson (Sherlock, The A Word) guest stars in an episode by acclaimed children's author Malorie Blackman. Chris Chibnall has a co-writing credit for this episode.

The guest cast list:

Rosa Parks: Vinette Robinson
Krasko: Joshua Bowman
James Blake: Trevor White
Mr Steele: Richard Lothian
Police officer: Mason Gareth Marks
Raymond Parks: David Rubin
Martin Luther King Jr: Ray Sesay
Fred Gray: Aki Omoshaybi
Elias Griffin Jr: David Dukas
Arthur: Morgan Deare
Waitress: Jessica Claire Preddy

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Apparently episode 4, which is to do with the Witch Finder army, might be a pure historical!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Apparently episode 4, which is to do with the Witch Finder army, might be a pure historical!

If Neil Gaiman was writing this season, I'd wonder if it was a crossover with the Good Omens TV adaptation.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

The_Doctor posted:

That'd be the first since Black Orchid, yeah?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Episode 3 details... considering it's been written by Malorie Blackman, I feel a lot more confident. Although I'm suddenly remembering that weren't Zygons sighted on set for this one? And they've since claimed there's no old/classic monsters?

Episode 3: Rosa

The Doctor takes her companions on their first journey back in time - to the dangerous, racially segregated world of Alabama in the 1950s. They encounter one of the era's heroes, black civil rights campaigner Rosa Parks, but also discover a plot to change the course of history. Vinette Robinson (Sherlock, The A Word) guest stars in an episode by acclaimed children's author Malorie Blackman. Chris Chibnall has a co-writing credit for this episode.

The guest cast list:

Rosa Parks: Vinette Robinson
Krasko: Joshua Bowman
James Blake: Trevor White
Mr Steele: Richard Lothian
Police officer: Mason Gareth Marks
Raymond Parks: David Rubin
Martin Luther King Jr: Ray Sesay
Fred Gray: Aki Omoshaybi
Elias Griffin Jr: David Dukas
Arthur: Morgan Deare
Waitress: Jessica Claire Preddy

Oh god, it's like reading about a car accident about to happen.

Please be good please be good please be good.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Malorie Blackman wrote Noughts and Crosses, so I share The_Doctor's optimism, but at the same time, I give even money odds on Chibbers loving it up.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

Malorie Blackman wrote Noughts and Crosses, so I share The_Doctor's optimism, but at the same time, I give even money odds on Chibbers loving it up.

At least it has a chance of being handled more delicately than under Moffat.

EVERY DALEK EVER...is behind institutional racism”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I feel like all of Who fandom is sucking air through its teeth in apprehension at this episode. 😬

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I was more worried when the gossip was that it was the Chibnall-written series premiere. Marlorie Blackman has good form in dealing with racial issues in a DW-adjacent format, but....yeah. Going to need an extremely deft touch to navigate those waters.
Especially seeing as Rosa Parks herself is the lead guest character, and is presumably going to be heavily interacting with the timeline-influencing titular character, and the episode isn't going to just use her actions as more of a thematic backdrop.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Personally I can't wait for the moment some racist white American expects Bradley Walsh to be a fellow racist and Walsh tells them in no uncertain terms to go :fuckoff:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Maybe punching a racist every season will become a thing?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I feel like any attempt at “someone’s trying to disrupt Rosa Parks’ protest and only The Doctor can help!” is going to come across as a really gross attempt at inserting your fictional character into an extremely sensitive and important historical matter. I don’t think there’s a writer alive skilled enough to pull that off.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe punching a racist every season will become a thing?

In a way, is that not been what Doctor Who has always been about?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Matinee posted:

In a way, is that not been what Doctor Who has always been about?

Sure, but it’s one thing to say your fictional character fought alongside Richard the Lionheart, it’s entirely another to say Rosa Parks’ protest would have failed without them.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'd like to point out that 'Rosa' comes directly before 'Rose' in the list Doctor Who titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sure, but it’s one thing to say your fictional character fought alongside Richard the Lionheart, it’s entirely another to say Rosa Parks’ protest would have failed without them.

Sorry, I was posting in response to The_Doctor's post. If you can take The Doctor clowning on Daleks to be anogolous to punching nazis. - Edited in the quote after you replied (teaches me to be lazy about quoting).

Seeing as the big worry about the Rosa Parks episode has always been "oh god, I hope they don't have a scene where this marvellous miraculous woman is inspired to do her marvellous miraculous act of protest after meeting this time-travelling marvellous miraculous person"..... I'd say it's pretty much 50/50 at this point as to whether is actually happens. I'm really hoping not, and knowing this is the episode Blackman is involved with gives me some hope.

Matinee fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 12, 2018