Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Im thinking an Event Horizon type thing where the AI glimpsed hell and is now insane but Aware and can see the timestream or some such nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
A Keep moving.

Let's not make a ton of speculation on the ramblings of an enemy. They could always be lying.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
B

I mean paracausality means our friend here may already have been prepared for what we're going to do, we might as well be as well prepared as we can be.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

B

Taking a quick breather is a good idea.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoultryGeist posted:

"Are you and 1st Recon good to go?”

Vote: Yes sir, we’ll take point!

Might I remind the thread; first ones in gets the best loot.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

thir yeth thir! Command private major Shootbangs is here to take point!

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
You’ve learned better than to ping Lt. Haile for his opinion on 1st Recon’s readiness. He’d probably volunteer if it was a naked assault on a vac-station, and his troopers would follow. But there’s always one squad-member that’s a bit more level-headed, even in the most hoo-rah regiment. You ping the 1st’s corpsman, a sergeant listed simply as ‘Doc’. He gives you a thumbs-up without looking up from resetting Sgt. Okafor’s dislocated shoulder. Satisfied, you answer Captain Okafor. ”That’s an affirmative Captain. We’re a little dirty, but still fit. We’ll breach through Point A in 15.”

The captain looks a bit less grim when she nods. ”Acknowledged Pilot. Stay watchful, I’ll already had my fill of surprises on this ‘pirate suppression patrol’.”

You and the 1st are ready in short order, they having finished patching themselves up and grabbing supplies from the transports, you scooping the slightly mangled H/K drone and jamming it back in the nexus. A few button presses release repair nanites into the damaged systems, fixing the minor damage Baby’s taken so far. Its going to be a few minutes to the hangar door at the 1st’s cautious trot, so you open a private channel to Lt. Haile.

”A question, if you would, Lieutenant. Captain Okafor seemed like she was going to name L'Étranger’s vessel for a moment. Is there something I should know?”

The lieutenant’s breathing comes over a bit ragged. Probably nursing bruised ribs, score another for being a mech pilot. ”The Stranger? Ah, an interestingly poetic name for the foe. I think the Captain was about to call it Tumaini, but she realised how it would sound to the rest of the patrol, and to the after-action review.” The infantry pauses as you scoop up the remains of the Jericho and mag-lock it to Baby’s back. Lt. Haile continues, a bit apprehensive.

Tumaini is a… scary story you tell your creche-sibs after Lights Out. Not something a respected officer talks about in the middle of a mission, it would be considered… non-optimal. The stories say that whatever happened to Tumaini killed its crew, but it still haunts the Durango Reach. The less logical members of society blame it for anything that happens in the local cluster. Zanzibar Subnautica implodes? Tumaini. Unknown comet threatens Liyongo’s nearspace? Tumaini. Deep space exploration ships disappear without a trace in the Frost Nebula? Tumaini. Unfortunately there are some that cling to superstitions in the face of the truth: space is very dangerous."

Baby has already pulled up Tumaini’s information, displaying its schematics. The com/con can’t make a pattern-match, but you have to admit the size and general silhouette are too close to rule anything out. Definitely something to keep an eye on, but it looks like Lt. Haile might not be your best source.

Plus, you’ve reached the hanger doors. It would be a standard GMS pre-fab entrance, large vehicle airlock flanked by two person-sized models.

It would be a standard entrance, if festive bunting wasn’t hanging across the vehicle door and there wasn’t brightly colored signs stating ‘Harvest Festival Tonight - Everyone Welcome’ on the smaller doors. The wall the locks are set in is warm, which means life support is operational inside. Not how the surveying teams left it.

A: Breach and Clear
Go in hot, this is an enemy base after all
B: Accept the Invitation
Maybe you can get a warm cider out of all this weirdness
C: Hack the Datafeed
This started out as a Liyongese facility, that should give you a foothold in the system

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 7, 2018

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
B

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Given that L'Étranger is clearly Psycho-Mantising our available options I think a write-in might be safer.

Hrm.

D: Probe ahead with the HK drone.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
We have no reason not to hack stuff given we opted for extra Systems so put that to work for us and let's C what we can see.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
C, the more Intel the better.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Remember that if we connect our systems L'etranger gets to hack us back.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
Facility has been mothballed for 53 years, and the squatters who just left tried to blow people up with Subalts dressed like civilians.

Screw it, A. Not like L'Étrange has a precedent for taking hostages.

Un can take B in another timeline, far, far away from us.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The Lone Badger posted:

Remember that if we connect our systems L'etranger gets to hack us back.

Technically they've been able to do that from the start. It's true that there are security systems that trigger when someone attempts to interface with them, but just in a general sense of "we could be hacked" that becomes a possibility simply as long as we're within range of something capable of engaging in electronic warfare with us.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
Paracausality is on the table.

If we ever are, were, or will be someplace hackable, it may have already happened.

There's only one sane solution:

BLOW IT ALL UP!

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Oct 7, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
To put it another way, Lancer assumes that everyone is basically open to being hacked all the time. There's no way to disable our mech's computers in a way that will render us immune to being hacked even by people that aren't insane NHPs that doesn't also cripple us in the process and that goes for everyone else, so it's a bit of a two-way street.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
My vote is for C. Let's do some hacking.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

B

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Work in Progress!

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Dog Kisser posted:

Work in Progress!

Behold! The Stompiest of Babies!

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Dog Kisser posted:

Work in Progress!

Looking good!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: C: Hack the Datafeed

Information is Ammunition.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
C

Hack the planet!

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Oh, I thought I voted already. C si vous plait.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
“We still have a few breaching charges Pilot, you want us to blow it open? The decompression should give us an advantage for a minute or two before the atmo-fields pop. I don’t know if surprise is an option at this point, but shock may still be on the table.”

“Appealing mon Lieutenant, but I’d rather not stumble into any more booby traps. Baby is rocking a decent EW suite, let’s put it to use. I’ll stream to legionspace, we can go from there.”

Lt. Haile nods, and the 1st takes up a defensive posture. Meanwhile you load up the aforementioned hacking software and start looking for vulnerabilities. A few minutes pass, and you become increasingly puzzled. A Pattern 7 was a civilian model, with only a cursory amount of electronic hardening. But you’re not finding any of the normal access points. No omninet feed, no statusnet traffic, no drone control feeds. Even if they were shielded or deactivated you should pick up the carrier waves and EM static, but its like those systems are just gone.

(SYSTEM check: 17, Success)

You’re finally able to find an active system, part of the reactor control system. Its got a decent amount of aftermarket security added on, but there’s only so much you can polish the turd that is civilian security. You slip in and start looking through the datafeed, escalating out of the control loop.

The bunker seems to be as stripped down as its EM signature, no cameras or other monitor subsystems. Life support is minimal, more aimed at keeping it fairly warm than breathable. In fact the only main power draws are the //SUBALT_CHARGE, //MAT_RECYCLER, and //HANDTOOL_CHARGE systems. The bunker’s logs are also suitably sparse but they do record a reactivation code being received about two years ago, followed quickly by a deactivation of most of the bunker’s systems.

You’re about to give up when Baby’s suite finds something of note: an active holo-emiter. Its not a full security feed, but the camera it needs to function will get you something. A few keystrokes later, you have its video feed incoming. The angle is low, and the feed isn’t the best quality, but its better than nothing. Through it you see a large chamber, with several dozen subalterns standing around holographic buffet tables chatting. They’re all done up like the subalterns from the omnigun emplacement, and their mimicry of humans borders on the eerie. You don’t recognize the room at first, but quickly realize that its the hanger on the other side of the airlock, just stripped down to the base plascrete. BOUDICA speaks through the legionspace link, very confused.

”Ah Pilot River, those shells are behaving well outside accepted parameters. I can’t see any signs that they’re performing status checks, all communication is verbal. That is very dangerous, as it increases the possibility of a preliminary cascade going unnoticed. As such, a statusnet link is a requirement hard-coded into shell printing permissions.”

”Oui, Bo. There’s also a good possibility that at least some of those shells have explosives mounted. But at least according to the //SUBALT_CHARGE data, nearly all of the active shells are in the hangar here. The rest of the bunker should be lightly guarded.”

A: Call in an Orbital Strike
It doesn’t look like there’s any more usable data to be had, have Furious Twilight level the place
B: Crash the Party
Blow open the airlock and take out the subalterns quickly so you can search in peace.
C: Tactical Espionage Action
Infiltrate the bunker on foot and try to shut down the subalterns/other systems for collection/interrogation.

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 10, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
C Let's try to figure out what's going on

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoultryGeist posted:

The rest of the bunker should be lightly guarded.”

Famous last words.

Vote: C: Tactical Espionage Action with 1st Recon ready for Vote: B: Crash the Party

We go in Metal Gear, with 1st Recon ready to blow in like a Kansas Tornado if we need help.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

AB

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
A

No sense messing around!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Option C has gotten us this far, I see no reason not to continue that trend.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

I'm finding myself constantly second guessing given that we are dealing with a crazy Non-Human Person that knows the future.

For A: The subalterns we want to capture will blow us up. If we survive the whole base will blow up. The NHP knew we were coming and could have cleared out all the useful clues.
Against A: We need to know the target of the next attack before the NHP strikes. The NHP seems crazy enough to play games and leave breadcrumbs, if only to better predict our next moves.

For B: If we don't clear out the bomb bots now then we could be cornered by them later in tight quarters. The subalterns might also activate secondary defenses, and given that we are not detecting cameras on the network they may be the only detection system remaining on base. Since we know we are dealing with holographs and subalterns rather than people our troops will know not to hold their fire and won't hesitate letting them get into range to blow us up.
Against B: It's probably the most predictable move and may have additional traps that aren't drawing power. We're not guaranteed to find any paydata.

For C: I kind of want to find out what those subalterns are saying. The NHP may have been crazy enough to give them personalities. This has the most potential for acquiring data. We are good at sneaking.
Against C: We are super squishy outside of our suit. Discovery would probably lead to dozens of explosive robots swarming us. The NHP would probably be pretty good at wiring the remaining consoles up to a base self-destruct.

Do we know for sure that the holograph emitter was only creating buffet tables? Do we know that the holographic buffet tables are not concealing something real like defense turrets?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Can we slip in a spybot/wire or something yo eavsdrop while we have our pals prepare to drop a bag of hammers on this shindig?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

malbogio posted:

Do we know for sure that the holograph emitter was only creating buffet tables? Do we know that the holographic buffet tables are not concealing something real like defense turrets?
The emitter isn't a high-end model, so its effects are still partially translucent. Theoretically they could be hiding something like some personal weapons in the blind spots, but nothing big like a turret.

Blasphemaster posted:

Can we slip in a spybot/wire or something yo eavsdrop while we have our pals prepare to drop a bag of hammers on this shindig?
While we have our personal drone, its not super-stealthy and signal strength means we'd have to be inside the bunker to use it. It would be a big help if we did sneak in, it can't go in on its own. 1st Recon has decent sensors built into their hardsuits, but they require line-of-sight to be useful

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
B

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
B

Stranger's creepy dollhouse drama club has got to go, but there's no sense in damaging the facility more than we have to.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

A

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
C

These robutts are acting human, pretending to be people. What if there's a human mind trapped in there?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Deadmeat5150 posted:

C

These robutts are acting human, pretending to be people. What if there's a human mind trapped in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Deadmeat5150 posted:

C

Then ... they're an abomination that needs to be put down?

Actually, that might just be my Traveller background talking. Where does Lancer stand on the whole transhumanism/augmentation thing?