Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

roboshit posted:

and then he went and stood on the table in an apple store ranting about something

I feel bad for the guy because he’s gonna feel like a retard when the manic phase wears off

he’s rich, don’t feel bad for him at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is loving weird that rj45 didn't get squeezed a lot flatter at some point, it is one of those where the physical dimensions are obviously unnecessarily large and a forward-compatible redesign (with a slightly wider but much flatter section with the same wiring was instead used) would have been trivial

the x1c does ok on ports in a lot of ways, but it has a proprietary physical ethernet port, which is incredbily pointless, since the converter is the same size as a usb ethernet dongle

there were a couple of minirj45 attempts i think from the shove as many 1g ports on a chassis blade era; force10? extreme? maybe

x1c probably can pxe or WoL off that nic because enterprise lol and its less painful than usb ethernet

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

i thought you left apple

I left plenty of morons behind to cover for me

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

SRQ posted:

The 2019 Mac Pro, now expandable with one PCI-E x16 for any* device you can imagine.

Shipping today with 6-core Haswell based Processors, up to 12 core, and with the option for AMD R7 480X or Nvidia GTX 750 graphics.
$4,000 dollars USD.

*that MacOS supports and that has special firmware that's closed-source so gently caress you if you wanna buy outside the handful of GPU's we ship.

i think you mean 16 1-lane thunderbolt connectors for ipads pro clustering offload

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

Siri is bad and doesn’t seem to be improving at a reasonable rate. I’m fairly use everyone involved with it is a moron.

the siri founder was allowed to do a magic trick on penn and teller fool us for some loving reason and he just seemed like an idiot who's been sheltered from that reality by his money and hangers-on for his entire life. he wasn't even particularly articulate like a jobs or cook so i have no idea how the gently caress he led an organization.

and siri is awful. the other day i was cooking chicken and wanted to double check the temp so i said "hey siri what's the temperature for chicken?" and got the weather for Chicken, Arkansas.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

iPhone excessive is waterproof right. so immerse a bunch of them in flowing water. is it a web-scale cluster of water-cooled shared-nothing compute modules, or a leaky bathtub full of phones? why not both

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

jit bull transpile posted:

and siri is awful. the other day i was cooking chicken and wanted to double check the temp so i said "hey siri what's the temperature for chicken?" and got the weather for Chicken, Arkansas.

i just checked with Siri and it’s chicken, Alaska.

it’s 32 degrees btw

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I've never used a Siri

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

lmao

what were you expecting?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dece voice recognition hooked up to wolfram alfa was a fun party trick a decade ago but now everyone just wants to use voice assistants to spend 10% more on amazon

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lmao

what were you expecting?

it to tell me the safe temperature to cook chicken to. why would I want to know the temperature in a tiny town nowhere close to me?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

then why didn’t you ask that?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fart simpson posted:

then why didn’t you ask that?

because anything with any kind of intelligence would have known what I meant? the Google assistant gets this right.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

they'd only give you the fda temp for overcooked chicken breast instead of the actual desired temp for a decent cut because "machine learning" is and always will be a worthless gimmick

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

they'd only give you the fda temp for overcooked chicken breast instead of the actual desired temp for a decent cut because "machine learning" is and always will be a worthless gimmick

that is what I wanted and more relevant than the temperature of a town that no one had heard of or cares about

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
it's 165 degrees BTW. I got that by typing "what is the temperature for chicken" into Google

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

actually weve all heard of that town and know the temperature

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i dunno if id trust any machine learning search engine to not pick the first result from a food blog

some things i still want to search on my own

it makes sense and im not poo pooing it but i wouldnt trust the recommendation since half the time i get some dorkos lazy recipe instead of the real recipe when i google recipes

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i searched for “dog friendly restaurant” in apple maps the other day and it came back with a restaurant called Friendly in South Korea

it took me a minute to figure out how the third word got in there

just to be very clear, I am not making a joke, apple maps is actually that bad. I just did the search again (from home) just now and it returned the results you’d expect though 🤷‍♀️

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

apple maps is the worst

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

actually weve all heard of that town and know the temperature

lol

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

i use siri on mac more than my phone because i can ask it to open terminal easily

that sole purpose puts it ahead of the nothing i use it for on my phone

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SRQ posted:

i use siri on mac more than my phone because i can ask it to open terminal easily

that sole purpose puts it ahead of the nothing i use it for on my phone

if you press cmd+space, type "ter" and hit enter you will launch terminal and that is way faster than talking at your computer imo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

exploded mummy posted:

i used to have a laptop in my office with a loving coax jack for ethernet

please share make and model and which vendor UNIX it ran

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

if you press cmd+space, type "ter" and hit enter you will launch terminal and that is way faster than talking at your computer imo

what if i'm leaning back and don't wanna.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

it's 165 degrees BTW. I got that by typing "what is the temperature for chicken" into Google

165 wtf enjoy your chicken-flavor-dusted sawdust I guess.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i cook my chicken to 115

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Shortcuts is good, all apps should support it

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

lmbo if u cook chicken. yeah let me RUIN my food cause i cant handle some bacteria. psh

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I have it on good authority that chicken sashimi is v good

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

its not 2002, if you need wired ethernet on your laptop suck it up and use a dongle

i looked into building a gaming pc a couple of months ago (its been a tough year) so i looked into some components. coming from a couple of decades of apple stuff i was shocked that only the very-top-of-the-line led-disco motherboards had wifi built-in so i went to the yospos pc gaming thread. they were shocked that i was shocked.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

165 wtf enjoy your chicken-flavor-dusted sawdust I guess.

glad to kno toxic masculinity has taken over eating a chicken breast

what activity can't be turned into a macho pissing exercise, truly a marvel

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the only time you should be checking temp is like for big roasts and related or when smoking otherwise you’re just a failure at cooking :colbert:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
also what’s the temperature of chicken is broken English as gently caress and you didn’t nearly get what you deserved

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

lancemantis posted:

also what’s the temperature of chicken is broken English as gently caress and you didn’t nearly get what you deserved

nlp torture test. anyone above room temperature iq knows what it means but it can very reasonably parse to something completely wrong

and don’t fuckin make excuses for a fuckin computer wtf. this is a safe space

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

glad to kno toxic masculinity has taken over eating a chicken breast

what activity can't be turned into a macho pissing exercise, truly a marvel

menstruation

childbirth

um

other uterus stuff

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lancemantis posted:

the only time you should be checking temp is like for big roasts and related or when smoking otherwise you’re just a failure at cooking :colbert:

I use my broiler a lot and a probe thermometer has helped me get timing right since 1 minute can make a big difference

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
using a thermometer really helped me to cook a better steak on the grill

now i get a perfect medium rare every time

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

lancemantis posted:

lol what teh gently caress kind of argument is this, posted in hte no caps no punctuation post zone even. nobody conversationally speaks perfect queens english either, and natural language processing woudl be broken as hell if it were to require that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i remember a whole thing a while back where if you asked google "how long does it take to caramelize onions" it would tell you "5 to 8 minutes" because some popular food blog initially posted that incorrect figure (it's more like half an hour),, and everyone writing their own recipes googled it and reused that bad data, and then google itself picked up on the consensus and inserted it into their assistant database, and well, now it's just a known fact that you can caramelize onions in 5 minutes. not working? you must be doing it wrong