Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Ciaphas posted:

well this is the part i'm scared ritually to death of because i'm gonna sound like a bougie gently caress, but about $94k/y now
you should be earning that amount as annual bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol im so fuckin underpaid

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bloody posted:

those triplebyte butts're ghosting me so far, how long did it take for them to call you back after interview one?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

within a week i think?

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Fiedler posted:

lol whats a "bonus"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bloody posted:

within a week i think?

im probably overreacting then, he said 48 hours and I took him literally. thanks

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

meatpotato posted:

lol whats a "bonus"

a $50 gift card for buffalo wild wings

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh, there it is from triplebyte. yep, turned down because i froze up on the practical of 'implement tic tac toe in 30 minutes', they don't plan to continue

turned down by a recruiter. what a loving low.

and my therapist has emphatically encouraged me to quit job because, well, it was one hell of a heart to heart session today, let me put it that way, so

gently caress.

now what.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

oh, there it is from triplebyte. yep, turned down because i froze up on the practical of 'implement tic tac toe in 30 minutes', they don't plan to continue

and my therapist has emphatically encouraged me to quit job because, well, it was one hell of a heart to heart session today, let me put it that way, so

gently caress.

now what.

gettin yourself hired is a sales process. this is the root of why computer touchers hate it.

to get 1 offer, you need on the order of 2-5 onsites, if you're going through a normal interview process. to get those 2-5 onsites, you need 4-20 phone screens. to get 4-20 phone screens, you need on the order of 69-420 resumes handed out. there is no system of success that you can jiggle out. there are ways that you can be turbofucked and fail forever, so you can satisfice by avoiding the avenues of failure.

how many at the top of the funnel? how many resumes going in the top go to phone screens? phone screen to onsite? onsite to offers?

the way that salespeeps earn their pay is in facing rejection. therefore, paradoxically, the least successful salespeeps have to have the toughest chops with the core emotional skill that they have. but there's no way to be a salespeep without at least facing some withering rejection

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 12, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

gettin yourself hired is a sales process. this is the root of why computer touchers hate it.

to get 1 offer, you need on the order of 2-5 onsites, if you're going through a normal interview process. to get those 2-5 onsites, you need 4-20 phone screens. to get 4-20 phone screens, you need on the order of 69-420 resumes handed out.

how many at the top of the funnel? how many resumes going in the top go to phone screens? phone screen to onsite? onsite to offers?

sorry i meant in the immediate "do i quit or not" sense, i'm presently having A Crisis over it i think so i may stop replying a bit

to answer your question tho: 0 onsites, 4 phone screens, maybe 30 resumes sent out. so the game as only just started, i'm just, well

scared that i won't finish in time either way, i guess. i either get a job, run out of sanity and quit before i'm ready anyway (or kms, i have to treat that as a real--if still distant--threat at this point), or fritter my money away and go homeless/back to family depending on where i am

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 12, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fiedler posted:

don't be ridiculous. very few people are getting bonuses that big and you shouldn't people's expectations to be that absurd.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ciaphas posted:

gently caress.

now what.

their interviews are bad. don't measure yourself by it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

jit bull transpile posted:

don't be ridiculous. very few people are getting bonuses that big and you shouldn't people's expectations to be that absurd.

you're right, you should be earning that much via rsu's or equivalent equity (but lol equity), not bonus

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Bloody posted:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

you're right, you should be earning that much via rsu's or equivalent equity (but lol equity), not bonus

yeah
and it would be ridiculous to call rsus "annual bonus" because it will take you years at the job to realize their full value.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

jit bull transpile posted:

yeah
and it would be ridiculous to call rsus "annual bonus" because it will take you years at the job to realize their full value.

1 year cliff 4 year vest, be very suspicious of anything that isn't, but prolly also need to fight for refreshers at 3rd year or so

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

1 year cliff 4 year vest, be very suspicious of anything that isn't, but prolly also need to fight for refreshers at 3rd year or so

im p lucky in that my rsus start vesting immediately but yeah it's like 12.5% vesting every 6 months. it's good money but not remotely a 95000 annual bonus. and rsus are taxef at the top marginal bracket cuz capital gains is only for the institutionally rich.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

big tech loving top school graduates has griped my rear end for like 10 years now. "when the prof crowed about the graduating class's improvement on the exit assessment, i did the math, saw that the improvement was me, and understood why i had not felt challenged by the program" is not something i can put on my resume

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
source your quotes

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
and let's knock off the compensation talk for a while

having a life-loving job is bad enough

hearing that other people get paid more salary, get a bonus that isn't a gift card, and get company stock just rubs salt in the wound

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

meatpotato posted:

and let's knock off the compensation talk for a while

having a life-loving job is bad enough

hearing that other people get paid more salary, get a bonus that isn't a gift card, and get company stock just rubs salt in the wound

means of production, seize em

but sure, ok

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

meatpotato posted:

you're not wrong but hearing exactly that is what ended my complacency at my last job and i'm much much happier now

if a bunch of the cjs thread hadn't sat me down and made me confront it i'd probably still be there and rationalizing it today

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i appreciate the support but now that i'm home and medicated* i'd much rather know than not know

to be perfectly honest i'd appreciate an explanation of why it's polite to keep mum about salary because, other than its side effect of making workers afraid to talk to each other, i don't get it

tbh i wonder if i would have found this out sooner if i'd paid for glassdoor :v:

(ed) * :420: joke here but seriously there is nothing that keeps the stupid life sapping brainworms asleep better

and that's a big part of my nearly-certain decision to just leave 2 weeks from tomorrow, come what may. i just have one person to talk to about it first rl

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 12, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i'm still not happy about this but i think i'm less unhappy than staying on, so for now that's going to have to be Good Enough.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

to be perfectly honest i'd appreciate an explanation of why it's polite to keep mum about salary because, other than its side effect of making workers afraid to talk to each other, i don't get it

workers afraid to talk to each other is not the side effect, it's the whole intent

many things about korean culture are poo poo. this one is not. i usually asked a date while i lived in korea what she made after she told me what she did and vice versa, or like 15 minutes after

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

workers afraid to talk to each other is not the side effect, it's the whole intent

yarp. big corps have it to the point that your boss tells you your raise in a hushed tone lest your coworkers overhear through the conference room door or some poo poo. then we all go tell each other what we got because not talking is how they keep your salary low. if you know you're getting bent over you can line up other opportunities and threaten to walk, and actually do it if they don't remedy the issue.

poo poo when i visited my old team while i was home everyone was like "everything turned to poo poo just after you left" and, like, duh. a company that lets a good employee walk because she asked for an 8% raise to be at parity with current fresh grad hires whose messes she cleans is not a company that is functional.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rex-Goliath posted:

you're not wrong but hearing exactly that is what ended my complacency at my last job and i'm much much happier now

if a bunch of the cjs thread hadn't sat me down and made me confront it i'd probably still be there and rationalizing it today

Ciaphas posted:

i appreciate the support but now that i'm home and medicated* i'd much rather know than not know

tbh i wonder if i would have found this out sooner if i'd paid for glassdoor :v:

(ed) * :420: joke here but seriously there is nothing that keeps the stupid life sapping brainworms asleep better

and that's a big part of my nearly-certain decision to just leave 2 weeks from tomorrow, come what may. i just have one person to talk to about it first rl

fair enough, i was just projecting my own feelings about my last job
i hate(d) reading anything about programmer salaries online because it made me feel worse about myself than before
i also didn't know which numbers are bs and which aren't
i certainly don't live in a world where a quarter to a half million dollars is developer compensation, but some hackernews apparently do

if you're gonna give notice tomorrow:
have some idea of your financial runway, especially health insurance costs
take action and reasonably cut costs wherever you can asap
apply to a bunch of jobs tonight
get a gym membership (e: or just start working out at home/parks if you can't afford one now)

Hunter2 Thompson fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 12, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dan luu is extremely not lying, get on his twitter

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

meatpotato posted:

fair enough, i was just projecting my own feelings about my last job
i hate(d) reading anything about programmer salaries online because it made me feel worse about myself than before
i also didn't know which numbers are bs and which aren't
i certainly don't live in a world where a quarter to a half million dollars is developer compensation, but some hackernews apparently do

if you're gonna give notice tomorrow:
have some idea of your financial runway, especially health insurance costs
take action and reasonably cut costs wherever you can asap
apply to a bunch of jobs tonight
get a gym membership (e: or just start working out at home/parks if you can't afford one now)

this most critically. just interviewing with one recruiter ain't a job search. find 20 listing every day and apply to them. do this until you get job offers. you ain't gonna fix your life through more complacency.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

TheFluff posted:

new grads earn completely insane figgies in the us west coast tech hubs, yes. http://danluu.com/bimodal-compensation/

this is super interesting, thanks. reading the bit about the o ring model, seems a bit depressing that 'people are more productive when not surrounded by idiots' is still at the 'theory' stage.

edit with relevanbt quote:

danluu posted:

Another theory that I've heard a lot lately is that programmers at large companies get paid a lot because of the phenomenon described in Kremer's O-ring model. This model assumes that productivity is multiplicative. If your co-workers are better, you're more productive and produce more value. If that's the case, you expect a kind of assortive matching where you end up with high-skill firms that pay better, and low-skill firms that pay worse.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

dan luu is extremely not lying, get on his twitter

exposing my ignorance: who is dan luu?
he's a programmer with a blog, according to google?

this was a dumb reply

e: nvm, i see the article above

Hunter2 Thompson fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 12, 2018

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Ciaphas posted:

Studies show that if people know they're drastically underpaid or overpaid, it negatively affects performance. It is always going to be in Management's interests, fair or not, for people to know less overall about the spread of salaries in a team or field.

It goes the other way a little bit, which is why people can get 50% pay bump by jumping to a new company. But that's relatively rare compared to people being underpaid, which happens on a planetary scale.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

I mean in unsolicited social situations it is impolite. But between coworkers then yeah that’s just management trying to keep the workers with as few bargaining chips as possible

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

meatpotato posted:

exposing my ignorance: who is dan luu?
he's a programmer with a blog, according to google?

this was a dumb reply

e: nvm, i see the article above

he has one of the more popular programmer blogs because he does actually technically cool poo poo. worked on bing, worked on the goog tensor chip

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Img]aubreyplazawow.gif[/img]

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Corla Plankun posted:

Img]aubreyplazawow.gif[/img]

"worked on the tpu" is significantly more impressive, yah

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

unfortunately (fortunately) here's family drama riding to the rescue: brother quit his job and may be as miserably depressed as i am :|

with my making more than my mum and aunt combined (and both of them owning quite nice homes despite that now that i think on it, but i guess they've been at it longer) and no one else for him to lean on, me quitting would just be irresponsible and gross, accessible retirement be damned

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 12, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

unfortunately (fortunately) here's family drama riding to the rescue: brother quit his job and may be as miserably depressed as i am :|

with my making more than my mum and aunt combined (and both of them owning quite nice homes despite that now that i think on it, but i guess they've been at it longer) and no one else for him to lean on, me quitting would just be irresponsible and gross, accessible retirement be damned

dont stop sending resumes

try snacker news

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Apple wants to interview me. I’m intimidated by things I’ve read about the tech screening, and I have no idea if I want to live in Cupertino,

Would anyone who is/has worked there be willing to PM me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Bloody posted:

same brother