Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah the market doesn't always reflect the economy. Traders are worried about rising consumer prices and interest rates, which are caused by a good economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The teacher whi said Stephen Miller ate glue has been suspended.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The stock market isn't Krugman's economic specialty, but I highly enjoyed this explainer of our current situation.

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1050513737667489793?s=19

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Sexy gamma ray burst

(Are we still doing this?)

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Sexy gamma ray burst

(Are we still doing this?)

You reminded me of one.

Sexy coronal mass ejection

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Sexy cargo liquefaction.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

At least those aren't humanity self-owns.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Sexy commitment

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
If we're going stellar, slutty magnetar-fly-by

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Duzzy Funlop posted:

dude, magnetars are loving terrifying :stare:

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Swear to God I would have believed this was a Pokemon until your post

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

dude, magnetars are loving terrifying :stare:

I mean, most things in the universe will kill you dead proper, or kill a whole loving lot real dead-like at once, but magnetars to me always were that dude that showed up to a Halloween party that went "oh, we weren't supposed to use real blood?"

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I prefer the coquettish galactic collision

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

quote:

At a distance of halfway from Earth to the moon, a magnetar could strip information from the magnetic stripes of all credit cards on Earth.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

What a pain the rear end that would be.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Bonus horror: a little closer and it would supposedly pull the iron from your blood

None of which matters, because it would have murdered everything multiple times over before even being close to the solar system

/edit:

Current event: lol

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1050430667958509569

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
What's the deal with Wilford Brimley?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

What a pain the rear end that would be.

That's some cosmic level trolling.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Who’s the idiot with the cowboy hat

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Fallom posted:

Who’s the idiot with the cowboy hat

I'm a Deutschbag, and I know the guy

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I assume this makes everything materially worse, please expand.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1050746600916754432

:nallears:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Because assigning someone with literally no relevant experience that you are theoretically if not in actuality banging may just be a good definition for nepotism.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

He is literally the only one that started the "people are saying" bullshit like 3 (?) says ago, already preempting with the fake "oh, but people would totally complain about nepotism" like he cares, this is the most transparent idiocy I could possibly think of and he's been running with it for two years now

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

FrozenVent posted:

I assume this makes everything materially worse, please expand.

It's surprisingly not crap: https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/10/11/17965690/music-modernization-act-

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

As Nero Danced posted:

My brother had just been transferred there under a hardship for his wife's family, wonder what's going to happen to that now. Actually, have we ever had a military base completely wiped out like this? Even pearl harbor was at least partially functional after the attack, wasn't it? Cobra Commander's weather dominator works after all.

e: maybe Hugo back in 89, I guess

Clark AB. Utterly destroyed by the Mt Pinatubo eruption in 1991...bad timing for the Philippine government, as they were trying to significantly increase the US' lease payments for the base. The US just picked up whatever was salvageable and left instead. The Philippine government eventually reopened it, and there are occasional murmurs of gradually increasing the US presence again; we already use it for TDY/TAD for a handful of aircraft types.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

He is literally the only one that started the "people are saying" bullshit like 3 (?) says ago, already preempting with the fake "oh, but people would totally complain about nepotism" like he cares, this is the most transparent idiocy I could possibly think of and he's been running with it for two years now

"many people don't know" = "I didn't know this fact that is actually incredibly common knowledge"

"many people are saying" = "I heard this on the TV"

"sir" (in any of his stories) = "this story is completely bullshit"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Vasudus posted:

"many people don't know" = "I didn't know this fact that is actually incredibly common knowledge"

I agree with this in general, but in this specific instance, the second point isn't accurate, because he's the first moron to think to place his daughter in yet another, albeit more pronounced, position of power

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Soulex posted:

2040 is close. But look at what happened in 20 loving years. What were you doing 1998? Remember phones with cords? At home? My son figured out how to change videos on the ipad at just under a year old. We have the information generation starting to take place. We may have to make pennance for the sins of our fathers and their fathers, but gently caress off if you dont think Im not gonna try. Life is a gift, and giving it to someone helped turn my life around.

The future generation ain't gonna save us just by virtue of being young.
There is no "information generation." Maybe an "information overload generation."
I teach middle schoolers. There is nothing about having perpetual access to internet devices that makes them capable of critical thinking. Your son figured that out because the iPad is designed to be intuitive and he wants to see videos. My kids can figure out how to find memes and Fortnite and chat with each other when they're supposed to be working because they want to do those things. They have to be taught how to find accurate information, how to tell fake news from reality, how to evaluate sources, and how to think critically. It doesn't just happen any more than it did for anyone else. They're probably more susceptible to the lies that are destroying the planet because the liars have direct access and slick content delivery systems.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I agree with this in general, but in this specific instance, the second point isn't accurate, because he's the first moron to think to place his daughter in yet another, albeit more pronounced, position of power

People been suspecting it soon as Ivanka started following a bunch of State/USAID twitter accounts the day before Haley's announcement. My bet is that he was going to do it and then people pointed out to him that it requires Senate confirmation and thus the actual real Nepotism laws apply.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Vasudus posted:

People been suspecting it soon as Ivanka started following a bunch of State/USAID twitter accounts the day before Haley's announcement. My bet is that he was going to do it and then people pointed out to him that it requires Senate confirmation and thus the actual real Nepotism laws apply.

Christ, I thought I had seen through his idiocy, but this is actually his attempt at grooming senate votes to confirm?

:lol:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

It's Stupid House Of Cards

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

This is on the level of one of the dumber Warhammer 40k models

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

wow, this is actually pretty good.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Vasudus posted:

"believe me" = "I am lying in a way that's incredibly easy to prove"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Senator Professor Warren gets another nice slow one over the plate

quote:

“Absolutely most insulting conversation I have ever had with anyone,” Kelly, then serving as the secretary of homeland security, wrote to Kevin Carroll, who was then his senior counselor at the Department of Homeland Security, in an email from Feb. 8, 2017. “What an impolite arrogant woman. She immediately began insulting our people accusing them of not following the court order, insulting and abusive behavior towards those covered by the pause, blah blah blah.”

Warren called Trump’s travel ban illegal during a protest she attended soon after Trump issued the executive order at Logan International Airport in Boston, where a number of people were detained. A congressional source familiar with Warren’s phone call with Kelly told BuzzFeed News that the senator’s staff first tried to obtain information from the Department of Homeland Security on Jan. 29, 2017 about her constituents who were stuck abroad and prohibited from boarding airplanes to fly into Logan. But the staffers were unsuccessful. Warren then reached out to Kelly, who didn’t respond to her for a week. When Kelly finally called Warren, she told him she had been trying to reach him, which Kelly denied. Warren described her staff’s numerous email exchanges with Kelly and their conversation then became heated.

And counterpunch:

quote:

You probably remember: Right after Donald Trump became President, one of his first orders of business was launching an illegal, bigoted Muslim ban.

We all felt powerless at the time – Republicans had just won the White House and both branches of Congress – but my staff and I wanted to do something about it. So we tried to get answers from the Department of Homeland Security about their policy of illegally detaining Massachusetts residents (and their family members) at Boston Logan Airport.

There was only one problem: Trump’s new Director of Homeland Security – John Kelly – wouldn’t return our calls and emails. My staff emailed back and forth with his staff, but we couldn’t get them to set up a call or answer our questions.

When I finally did get on the phone with John Kelly, I asked if he had an office number that I could use in the future to get in touch more quickly. He brushed me off, directing me to the main line listed on the Department of Homeland Security’s website (really). Even worse, he bizarrely insisted that I’d made the whole thing up and we’d never tried to reach him in the first place. I happened to be looking at all the emails between his staff and my staff when he said this, so I started reading them to him. He accused me again of making it all up.

My policy staffers were in the room. And to this day, I’ve never seen so many jaws drop in unison. It was one of the first times we saw “alternative facts” so up close and personal. And one of the first times we saw how truly dysfunctional the executive branch had become – and how quickly.

So what happened next? You guessed it – I persisted. I asked again for his number. He hemmed and hawwed, and he again tried to give me the Department’s main line. Let’s just say that’s when the conversation really started getting awkward – and that I persisted longer than he did. Eventually, he didn’t just give me his office number – he gave me his cell number.

Before we got off the phone, I gave him something back for his troubles – a message on behalf of the American people that it was time to follow the court order and allow people stranded abroad to board planes into Logan International Airport.

Was I tough on John Kelly in that phone call? You bet I was. And apparently he didn’t like it.

According to an email he wrote about our conversation just afterwards, which was just released, he called me “an impolite arrogant woman”:

What an impolite arrogant woman. She immediately began insulting our people accusing them of not following the court order, insulting and abusive behavior towards those covered by the pause, blah blah blah.

“Blah blah blah.” That’s all he had to say when he was called out for breaking the law and destroying lives. And I don’t know about John Kelly – but there are some men who can only hear “blah blah blah” whenever a woman’s talking. One of his aides wrote back, “Too bad Senate Majority Leader McConnell couldn’t order her to be quiet again!”

Clever. Well, Mitch McConnell can’t shut me up – and neither can John Kelly. (He can’t even get Donald Trump off Twitter, and as far as I can tell, that was his main job description when he took on the role of White House Chief of Staff).

It’s been a long two years since Donald Trump became President. But the night the Muslim ban started will be seared in my brain forever. That night, I went to Logan Airport to join the protest. It was an incredible sight – a sea of people rushing to East Boston to make their voices heard. There’s nothing impolite about people’s right to speak out and hold their government accountable. And sometimes, people are right to be angry.

It’s been a long two years, but November 6th, we’ll have another chance to make our voices heard and fight back against Donald Trump, John Kelly, and all the bigoted creeps still strutting and smirking around 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Tick tock, Donald. But we aren’t out of the woods yet. Please chip in now to support our re-election campaign and help make sure Democrats win BIG across the country.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

aphid_licker posted:

This is on the level of one of the dumber Warhammer 40k models

needs a guy with a sword and a pointy hat

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
lol

https://twitter.com/laraseligman/status/1050775992904638464

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
We knew that thought :???:

Also, today is 20 years since Matthew Shepard died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

My brain feels fuzzy after reading that.

Is someone burning toast?

• Locked thread