Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

redcheval posted:

It is chili season and I am extremely happy about it. Had to order dried peppers online because I struck out hard trying to find them locally, but I made my first chili paste today instead of using store-bought powder! Super pumped to see how this chili turns out, but I did have a question. I've basically been using Iron Leg's recipe from the first page as a loose base, and I don't know how much chili paste you should actually use. I used an arbol, two guajillos and three anchos in my paste and used maybe a quarter of the total resulting paste. Am I supposed to use the whole thing? Is it just to taste?

use all of it, that's not very many peppers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

It’s never too late to dump in the rest, is it?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Saute the paste a little then dump it in.

xergm posted:

I did strain mine, there just wasn't much left on the strainer after pressing it through. Maybe I'll turn the blender down a notch next time and see if more solids remain.

You should have a lot left over plus the mire poix, garlic, etc then reduce it to a thick, smooth sauce. When it coats the back of a spoon is the rule of thumb.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

redcheval posted:

It is chili season and I am extremely happy about it. Had to order dried peppers online because I struck out hard trying to find them locally, but I made my first chili paste today instead of using store-bought powder! Super pumped to see how this chili turns out, but I did have a question. I've basically been using Iron Leg's recipe from the first page as a loose base, and I don't know how much chili paste you should actually use. I used an arbol, two guajillos and three anchos in my paste and used maybe a quarter of the total resulting paste. Am I supposed to use the whole thing? Is it just to taste?

It depends on what you're drying to do, but in that case i'd probably use all of that.

This was how much chili paste I used for a chili that worked out to be 9.5 quarts and didn't have any tomatoes and got the acid mostly through lime juice.

That required a lot of peppers to make:

I'm of the opinion you should use as many chilis as possible. Dried chilis are going to give a somewhat bitter flavor though, and the only way to counter that flavor is acid, which you're going to get either through tomatoes or adding in some other acid like lime juice.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I am so down and the stuff that have too down is down.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
how many limes approx. would you suggest for a full lodge dutch oven?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What all do y’all use to make homemade beef stock? I want to try making chili again sometime in the next few weeks and I want to do it with homemade broth this time.

I also want to use homemade chili powder now that I have access to a blender.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 5, 2018

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

What all do y’all use to make homemade beef stock?

Whatever the cheapest hunk of cow I can find that has bones in. Roast the bones, simmer long and low.

Also if you want to use a blender, I think making chili paste works better than powder personally. Toast your dried peppers a bit, then rehydrate them in stock and blend smooth. It's not a big difference but I like the texture better.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

No beans therefor not a chili

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Cream

cream?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

What all do y’all use to make homemade beef stock? I want to try making chili again sometime in the next few weeks and I want to do it with homemade broth this time.

I go to the local butcher and ask them for some beef bones for stock: they saw them into pan sized chunks and it costs a couple of pounds, it’s great.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I've bought beef neck bones from my local asian supermarket and they're still cheap whilst having way more meat than leg bones.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Tendales posted:

Whatever the cheapest hunk of cow I can find that has bones in. Roast the bones, simmer long and low.

Also if you want to use a blender, I think making chili paste works better than powder personally. Toast your dried peppers a bit, then rehydrate them in stock and blend smooth. It's not a big difference but I like the texture better.

I probably will use paste this time. I really want to try experimenting with that.

Can I get a bit more detail on how to roast and simmer the bones? I apparently have a history of loving poo poo up when I don’t have instructions.

EDIT: Actually I wouldn’t mind some instructions for toasting dried peppers and cumin seeds too.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

EDIT: Actually I wouldn’t mind some instructions for toasting dried peppers and cumin seeds too.

For peppers: https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/how-to-clean-and-prepare-dried-chilies-chili-powder-substitute.html. Basically stem, seed, and microwave in short bursts until fragrant and pliable. Cumin, throw in hot pan tossing until fragrant.

Ben Nevis fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 8, 2018

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
toast cumin in a nonstick pan on low heat, shaking it often so they dont sit too long. once it smells fragrant you've probably toasted them enough.

for the paste:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/chili-puree-replace-chili-powder-recipe.html

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ben Nevis posted:

For peppers: https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/how-to-clean-and-prepare-dried-chilies-chili-powder-substitute.html. Basically stem, seed, and microwave in short bursts until fragrant and pliable. Cumin, throw in hot pan tossing until fragrant.

This page cannot be found.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
The period snuck into the html tag. https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/how-to-clean-and-prepare-dried-chilies-chili-powder-substitute.html

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

I probably will use paste this time. I really want to try experimenting with that.

Can I get a bit more detail on how to roast and simmer the bones? I apparently have a history of loving poo poo up when I don’t have instructions.

For the bones: Get around 5 pounds of bones. Neck bones, oxtail, back ribs, soup bones, whatever you can get ahold of. You just want bones here; scraps of meat are OK but if there's a sizeable chunk of meat attached cut that off and use it later.

Step 1 is to blanche the bones. Just put them in a pot, add cold water until just covered, bring to boil, cover tightly, boil 20 minutes, remove and rinse with cold water. Give them a gentle scrub as you're rinsing. That'll get rid of some of the random loose proteins and fats that would just cloud up your stock without contributing anything later.

Step 2 is roasting. Spread your bones out on a roasting tray. If you have the tools, or can get your butcher to do it, break or cut open the bones to expose the marrow. Pop the tray in a heated 450F oven, turning every 10 minutes or so. This will take around total 40 minutes. You want a thorough roasting, as long as you can go without burning.

Step 3 is the simmer. Put the bones in a pot. Deglaze your roasting pan and scrape all the stuck bits into the same pot. Add any aromatics or veggies you're going to use, if any. (I only add garlic, onion, and whole black peppercorns, if I bother adding anything at all. You're making stock, not stew. Also, don't salt your stock. Save your seasoning for the actual dish you make with it later.) Cover everything in water, bring to a slow boil, then ease off to a steady simmer. Cook for anywhere from 8 to 24 hours on the stovetop. This is the exact thing that a pressure cooker really shines for, it can cut the cook time down to a couple hours.

When it's done, strain everything out, chill, and remove the fat that solidifies on top. Beef stock, ready to go.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost
I will be making Chili this weekend for the first time. Can someone tell me if my recipe makes sense below? This is what I've settled on.

2 pound sirloin cut into 1 inch cubes
1 pound chorizo
2 15oz cans Goya Red Beans
2 (28 ounce) cans Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes with juice
1 (6 ounce) can Hunt’s Tomato Paste
1 big yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 strips bacon, cooked and finely chopped
4 cubes beef bouillon
1 Red Bell Pepper
Chipotles in Adobo
2 Dried Ancho
2 Guajillo
2 Dried Arbol
2 Dried Serrano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon unsweetened chocolate
1.5 teaspoon brown sugar
2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon white pepper
1.5 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 Cinnamon
2 Bay Leaf
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/3 bottle dark beer

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
A quick high level sanity check without knowing the details of how the ingredients are prepped/order of operations? Yeah that looks good to me. Personally, I wouldn't use cube bouillon. Make sure you taste half way through and at the end to adjust salt/sugar accordingly, as that's a lot of tomato + beer and not a lot of sugar.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost

Ranter posted:

A quick high level sanity check without knowing the details of how the ingredients are prepped/order of operations? Yeah that looks good to me. Personally, I wouldn't use cube bouillon. Make sure you taste half way through and at the end to adjust salt/sugar accordingly, as that's a lot of tomato + beer and not a lot of sugar.

Thanks! Appreciate it! Yah, a sanity check is what I felt it needed. What do you feel if not cube bouillon? Just stock?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Real stock, yeah. I just can't see how cubes are meant to be the same as stock when you compare even store-bought liquid stock ingredients to them. For my competition chili I make my own, but otherwise I buy the low-sodium 'high end' stock I'm starting to see in supermarkets (not Swansons). Now that Paleo is popular I'm finding real bone broth on the shelves too, marketed as containing collagen.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
imo:

skip oregano
skip basil (wtf)
skip white pepper
skip red pepper (you'll never even know this was in the chili with all the other stuff you're adding)

too many tomatoes/juice/paste

use a fattier cut of beef than sirloin unless you're planning to add it near the end

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

BraveUlysses posted:

imo:

skip oregano
skip basil (wtf)
skip white pepper
skip red pepper (you'll never even know this was in the chili with all the other stuff you're adding)

too many tomatoes/juice/paste

use a fattier cut of beef than sirloin unless you're planning to add it near the end

I disagree with oregano (I use mexican oregano in my competition chili) and red pepper (I assumed he knows to add it towards the end, not at the beginning).

Pretty much agree with tomato, if it's going in at the start then I'd just use paste as the chopped tomato will disintegrate anyway.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost
Thanks. Will cut down on the tomato to paste, will add 2 shots of Don Julio Anejo Tequila, eliminated the basil, kept the oregano, eliminated the pepper.

Debating using short rib then instead of sirloin.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 9, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
sirloin can be great, you just have to take the time to cut it into very small pieces.

i am a huge fan of the pre cut asada that Mexican markets usually sell, it is usually sirloin

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I’m having some thoughts about changing my recipe, which is basically Kenji Lopez-Alt’s authentic chili con carne with some additions. I’m wanting to emphasize sweetness, peppery fruitiness, spiciness, and beefiness. Thinking about making the simmering liquid out of a chili paste (dried peppers, chipotles, umami bombs, onions and garlic cooked in maple bacon fat, some fresh chilis, spices light on cumin) and homemade beef stock, cutting the chuck into small cubes to have texture but be closer to the ground beef style of chili, and then adding more diced fresh chili’s toward the end for some crunch and color. Any thoughts? It seems like it’ll be closer to a Chile Colorado or carne adovada but for chopped beef.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
You're describing what many of us make and recommend, sans beer. Do it. Try some fish sauce in your paste.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

MORE CUMIN

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

fr0id posted:

I�m having some thoughts about changing my recipe, which is basically Kenji Lopez-Alt�s authentic chili con carne with some additions. I�m wanting to emphasize sweetness, peppery fruitiness, spiciness, and beefiness. Thinking about making the simmering liquid out of a chili paste (dried peppers, chipotles, umami bombs, onions and garlic cooked in maple bacon fat, some fresh chilis, spices light on cumin) and homemade beef stock, cutting the chuck into small cubes to have texture but be closer to the ground beef style of chili, and then adding more diced fresh chili�s toward the end for some crunch and color. Any thoughts? It seems like it�ll be closer to a Chile Colorado or carne adovada but for chopped beef.

You can try using short rib. Remove the fat caps and brown the short rib before dumping it in the pot, bones and all. You will get all that sweet sweet maillard reaction plus some extra flavor from the easily removed bones. It won't give you the ground beef style look but personally I love the results. I also like tomato paste in mine.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

MORE. gently caress THE HATERS.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m making Texas red chili again on Monday. One pound of chuck beef, one pound of oxtail, and either one pound of beef chorizo or half a pound of beef chorizo and half a pound of beef heart (depending on whether or not I can find a place around here that sells beef heart). I may or may not double this.

Questions:

- Should I tweak these meats at all? Change the amounts, or maybe add/remove something?

- Would it be a good idea to add some MSG, and if so, about how much (assuming 3 lbs of meat)? I’ve never cooked with MSG before and I just ordered some.

- I want to try smoking the chopped meat bits for a little bit before I put them in the pot, just to experiment. About how long should I do that for? Maybe about an hour or so? Less? More?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
if you want to smoke anything i'd say to do the entire chunk of chuck before you cut it up

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

- Should I tweak these meats at all? Change the amounts, or maybe add/remove something?

- Would it be a good idea to add some MSG, and if so, about how much (assuming 3 lbs of meat)? I’ve never cooked with MSG before and I just ordered some.

I like pork.

MSG is good. Maybe around 2tsp. Still stay on top of your salt (you still add salt when using actual MSG) by tasting throughout the process. If you didn't have MSG handy you could use fish sauce. I switched to fish sauce after my first cookoff win because I am pretty sure, even for a company full of scientists and medical doctors, someone is going to whine.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 12, 2018

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

- I want to try smoking the chopped meat bits for a little bit before I put them in the pot, just to experiment. About how long should I do that for? Maybe about an hour or so? Less? More?
I look forward to seeing you troll your way around this, but here is an honest opinion for benefit-of-the-doubt purposes.

A chuck roast is typically more than a pound. A smallish roast is usually a bit over 2lb, just grab one of those and smoke the whole roast before you cut it up. If you try to smoke individual pieces, it will dry out. Since you are really just going for color/crust/flavor and not actually trying to cook the inside I would put some basic salt/pepper rub on it and smoke @275, check on it after an hour or so and pull it when it develops some crust/color. Basically be careful to not actually cook it, but chuck is pretty fatty so you should generally be OK.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

dy. posted:

A chuck roast is typically more than a pound. A smallish roast is usually a bit over 2lb, just grab one of those and smoke the whole roast before you cut it up. If you try to smoke individual pieces, it will dry out. Since you are really just going for color/crust/flavor and not actually trying to cook the inside I would put some basic salt/pepper rub on it and smoke @275, check on it after an hour or so and pull it when it develops some crust/color. Basically be careful to not actually cook it, but chuck is pretty fatty so you should generally be OK.

Yeah I’m not gonna cook it, I just want to add some flavor.

Should I at least slice the meat a couple of times to increase the surface area that’s exposed to smoke?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
look if you really just want to add some smoke flavor add some liquid smoke and save yourself a bunch of time

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Yeah I’m not gonna cook it, I just want to add some flavor.

Should I at least slice the meat a couple of times to increase the surface area that’s exposed to smoke?
No

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
When cooking with oxtail do you do anything special?

Also how much fish sauce do you guys add to a typical 5 pound batch of chili? I'm looking at making a paste with 1.5 ounces of toasted cumin, 6 dried chiles (ancho/new mexico/arbol), the chipotles from a can of adobo, and a couple jalapenos.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
^^^If you've ever made short ribs you treat them in a similar way. Sear then braise. You can smoke them too. Oxtail is really greasy so be careful with that.

Edit for your edit: 5 lbs of meat I'd probably add a tsp each of Worcestershire and fish sauce or 2 anchovies. That doesn't seem like nearly enough chilis. I'd probably double that.

I smoke all my chili meat. It loving rules and chumps liquid smoke. Take it to around 125-145, cut it up, brown it, throw it in the chili to finish.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 12, 2018