Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Imagine 4 weekly television shows on the edge of a cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

projecthalaxy posted:

TV ratings are a work anyway.

2.9 out of what? How can they tell who's looking at the tv

2.9 points basically means 2.9% of all 120 million households with a TV. That is not eyes on the product, it doesn't account for more than one person watching the same TV.

The share rating is based on how many people watching TV at the time watched that show.

So if you have 100 million homes, and only 2 million people watch a show, that's a 2.0 rating. If 50 million homes were watching TV at the time, then that's a 4.0 share.

projecthalaxy posted:

I was a Nielsen house for like 2 weeks. They gave me a dollar and after i logged that i watched nothing but smackdown and cooking competitions for 14 days i was not invited back

Yeah, I did it for a few weeks one time and everyone in our home was given $4 or $6, I can't remember. My mom basically gave it to me and said I could keep the money if I filled out everyone's paper log.

But they use a combination of the dairies and actual meters on people's TV, which they use to cross check each other as a way to make sure each method is actually getting an average. While most of the monitoring is done electronically, they still send out 2 million paper diaries each year during sweeps periods

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Vince becoming real life Ted Faro would be oddly appropriate.

gently caress Ted Faro!

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

VJeff posted:

I mean. I don't know this for sure, but I assume that's always been the case, we're just burdened with the horror of knowledge, now.

the average person is infinitely healthier, better educated, and more enfranchised than at almost any other point in history. you are absolutely right: the difference is that now the average person is much, much more aware that they are enslaved and abused by a tiny elite

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i still don't think wwe is going to cancel or postpone anything. vince only cares about money and he cares about it a lot.

the talent is probably going through their social media to make sure they've never said anything bad about saudi arabia though.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
for example, imagine how many people have been murdered by the house of Saud so that they might consolidate their power. imagine how many were tortured and murdered without anyone knowing or finding them. imagine how many were tortured and murdered and no one even thought to challenge the king

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Son of Man posted:

the average person is infinitely healthier

Let's not go too far

Example from yesterday: WaPo: % of young US kids who aren't vaccinated has quadrupled since 2001

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

shiksa posted:

the talent is probably going through their social media to make sure they've never said anything bad about saudi arabia though.

Jesus I can't imagine being booked to perform there now. if I was on the card I'd be taking piles and piles of drugs and doing dragon screw moonsault drivers off the top rope every night

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
haha yeah cj I decided to say 'almost any time' specifically to include the last few decades because of America's sharp decline

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Son of Man posted:

the average person is infinitely healthier, better educated, and more enfranchised than at almost any other point in history. you are absolutely right: the difference is that now the average person is much, much more aware that they are enslaved and abused by a tiny elite

H...

Hooray? :(

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Kane is scum as you'd expect.

https://twitter.com/dajosc11/status/1050821418341023744

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I didn't literally see it happen with my own two eyes so who can say, really?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Think I'm going to direct the ten bucks I used to give WWE to SAMS.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Bryan Alvarez just revealed on WOL that the majority of talent in WWE doesn't want to go to Saudi Arabia. But the office is making them go.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

DarkstarIV posted:

Bryan Alvarez just revealed on WOL that the majority of talent in WWE doesn't want to go to Saudi Arabia. But the office is making them go.

UNIONIZE, YOU IDIOTS.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

VJeff posted:

UNIONIZE, YOU IDIOTS.

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

DarkstarIV posted:

Just mass refuse to get on the plane. What are they gonna do, fire half their roster?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

VJeff posted:

UNIONIZE, YOU IDIOTS.

literally no better time to go on strike as far as having public opinion on your side goes

Your Taint posted:

Just mass refuse to get on the plane. What are they gonna do, fire half their roster?

i believe vince truly believes in his "no one is bigger than the brand" bullshit and would nuke everything back to mid-00s wwe to prove it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

VJeff posted:

UNIONIZE, YOU IDIOTS.

John Cena's living in China these days so we're gonna have to think outside the box. My prediction on who would be the next Hogan and snitch on any attempt: either Dolph, Reigns, or Lio Rush

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Chris James 2 posted:

John Cena's living in China these days so we're gonna have to think outside the box. My prediction on who would be the next Hogan and snitch on any attempt: either Dolph, Reigns, or Lio Rush

oh it would absolutely be dolph

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh it would absolutely be dolph

yeah dolph's entire everything screams snitch.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Being a WWE Superstar has to be a miserable existence if you're not at the top of the card. The travel schedule alone would drive a normal person insane.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Good thing their ratings aren't falling off a cliff then

You're right, they're slowly going downhill though.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

bradzilla posted:

You're right, they're slowly going downhill though.

Reminds of me *checks notes* literally everything televised

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

The Kimoa Kid posted:

And, much like literally everything televised, WWE will also face cancellation from broadcast networks if their programs don't garner massive ratings consistently. They're safe on cable where the penalties for lovely ratings aren't nearly as severe, but let's not pretend like Fox isn't going to expect blockbuster ratings right out of the gate as part of their ROI. Which isn't guaranteed.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Kimoa Kid posted:

NBA playoffs were up, baseball playoffs are up, NFL is up in many slots while WWE posted double digit declines in recent months.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Ah yes, I forgot how literally every other show on tv is also posting new historic lows weekly :thunk:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Love how every other show is getting $500mil regardless of ratings. Looking forward to seeing what Bryan Fuller can do with that budget on season 2 (of many) of American Gods

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If Smackdown stays steady for the next year they will only need a 50% viewership increase to meet Fox's expectations.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

VJeff posted:

UNIONIZE, YOU IDIOTS.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Love how every other show is getting $500mil regardless of ratings. Looking forward to seeing what Bryan Fuller can do with that budget on season 2 (of many) of American Gods

I just finished the first season after sleeping on it for too long and goddamn

Saw recently that the Deadwood movie finally started filming and I hope it does well so long after the show ended because Ian Mcshane deserves way more praise than he gets

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I keep saying Smackdown on Fox has the potential to be a replay of the Jay Leno at 10pm fiasco but if ratings keep up it might even be a Pink Lady and Jeff disaster

cams
Mar 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/theseantcollins/status/1050837519187804160

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

WWE Raw has lost two thirds of its audience in the last 20 years, much like The Simpsons also famous for its enduring quality

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I wonder what news outlet will need to pick up this story before they cave

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

And, much like literally everything televised, WWE will also face cancellation from broadcast networks if their programs don't garner massive ratings consistently. They're safe on cable where the penalties for lovely ratings aren't nearly as severe, but let's not pretend like Fox isn't going to expect blockbuster ratings right out of the gate as part of their ROI. Which isn't guaranteed.

What lovely ratings? The only thing they lose to on cable is Monday Night Football and its immediate pre/postgame programming (and sometimes Fox News, because olds). All ratings are bad. I don't know how many times I can explain this to you guys. It is an indisputable truth. And WWE, like virtually all live programming, has slightly less bad ratings than everything else, hence why major networks still pay hand over fist for it. You keep suggesting that WWE has to see a massive increase in ratings to justify Fox's spending, but you ignore the fact that NBCUniversal nearly doubled their WWE contract while still losing Smackdown, and they're obviously not going to expect a ratings explosion.

I assume I'm going to need to be absolutely explicit for you folks, so I'll add: this is not a defense of WWE. They are a more-evil-than-most corporation that produces a bad product. This is simply a factual description of where WWE's ratings stand in the context of other cable programming.

jesus WEP posted:

WWE Raw has lost two thirds of its audience in the last 20 years

is this a bit

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Wika I appreciate that when you strike you spin and strike in all directions at once

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The Kimoa Kid posted:

What lovely ratings? The only thing they lose to on cable is Monday Night Football and its immediate pre/postgame programming (and sometimes Fox News, because olds). All ratings are bad. I don't know how many times I can explain this to you guys. It is an indisputable truth. And WWE, like virtually all live programming, has slightly less bad ratings than everything else, hence why major networks still pay hand over fist for it. You keep suggesting that WWE has to see a massive increase in ratings to justify Fox's spending, but you ignore the fact that NBCUniversal nearly doubled their WWE contract while still losing Smackdown, and they're obviously not going to expect a ratings explosion.

I assume I'm going to need to be absolutely explicit for you folks, so I'll add: this is not a defense of WWE. They are a more-evil-than-most corporation that produces a bad product. This is simply a factual description of where WWE's ratings stand in the context of other cable programming.

is this a bit

:ironicat:

Didn't you say you watch every wwe show every week?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

The Kimoa Kid posted:

is this a bit

Source your quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

The Kimoa Kid posted:

You keep suggesting that WWE has to see a massive increase in ratings to justify Fox's spending, but you ignore the fact that NBCUniversal nearly doubled their WWE contract while still losing Smackdown, and they're obviously not going to expect a ratings explosion.

USA is a cable network owned by NBC. Fox is a broadcast network owned by Disney now. The bar for bad ratings is much lower on cable than the bar for bad ratings on broadcast TV. I don't know why this has to keep being pointed out every time someone gets all in their feelings when someone says WWE's ratings are declining and that it's potentially bad news when their run on Fox starts.

• Locked thread