Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

It's my last day, it's my last day

:sotw:

I got 5 hours of PTO I'm getting paid for

Someone gave me a bag of peanut M&M's

Did my exit interview

Going to lunch with some buds then saying awkward goodbyes

Should have brought in donuts.

Dozens and dozens of donuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
How many hours does it take Cisco TAC to start a stopped process?

Four and a half

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Actuarial Fables posted:

How many hours does it take Cisco TAC to start a stopped process?

Four and a half

How many times did they ask "So whats the issue you are facing?"

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Should have brought in donuts.

Dozens and dozens of donuts.
And some non-diet Pepsi and Mountain Dew to wash it all down.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
poo poo pissing me off: Our stupid rear end Zendesk system that Re-Opens a ticket when someone replies with "Thanks" or "Thank you"

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Super Slash posted:

I have fond memories of my last place which commissioned a development company to build an ERP from the ground up where it was a constant;
"Ok this is pretty much ready to go and does A B and C"
"What the gently caress is this poo poo why doesn't it do X Y and Z!"
"You uh, never specified to do this"
"Rabblerabblerabble"

I had a great rappor with the lead dev and a great amount of sympathy for dealing with that poo poo, and constantly had to remind people that they're actually doing a great job considering the amount of bitching they're all doing.
Mercy upon your's and other devs souls goonsir.

The client asked the partner to tell us to do it for free. We told the partner that they will need to speak with commercial services about that.

last day, and rolling off the project - thank gently caress!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

RoboBoogie posted:

The client asked the partner to tell us to do it for free. We told the partner that they will need to speak with commercial services about that.

lol "Just tell the vendor to do it for free!" that always works

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RoboBoogie posted:

Our old GM would love to give away work for free, "just to get it done" but we were left with a ton of clients that expected all kinds of professional services for free.

The new GM, starting end of 2017, but an end to that. For the remaining commitments he started sending the clients and invoice for the PS time, but with a credit at the bottom to zero out the invoice so they'd see it had a cost, and he's been weaning them off. It's helped tremendously, since I get so many fewer non-billable hours.

Bob Morales posted:

:sotw:

I got 5 hours of PTO I'm getting paid for

Someone gave me a bag of peanut M&M's

Did my exit interview

Going to lunch with some buds then saying awkward goodbyes

Congrats! :yotj: you are a thread superstar.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Aunt Beth posted:

And some non-diet Pepsi and Mountain Dew to wash it all down.

We've been slamming mini cans, then full size cans of Coke every other day for the last 3 weeks in our office after watching this LA Beast Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hswjU1UPvws

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It's helped tremendously, since I get so many fewer non-billable hours.

What does this mean? As in YOU weren't paid for time you spent on this poo poo?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Janitor Prime posted:

What does this mean? As in YOU weren't paid for time you spent on this poo poo?

As in the work he did wasn't directly attributable to profit the company made. Billable time means the hours he worked were directly paid for by a client he was doing the work on behalf of. Non-billable is the admin poo poo and general upkeep around the office that 'costs us money'. Lots of non-billable is a good justification for being shitcanned, in the mind of $crappyBoss.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

As in the work he did wasn't directly attributable to profit the company made. Billable time means the hours he worked were directly paid for by a client he was doing the work on behalf of. Non-billable is the admin poo poo and general upkeep around the office that 'costs us money'. Lots of non-billable is a good justification for being shitcanned, in the mind of $crappyBoss.

So when I work for a client on something the GM is giving them for free, I can't put in billable time, we have a non-billable section for each client. At the time, we did not have a third option for billable work being given away in our time system.

If you ran a report on my time, it said something like:
Last month: 160 total hours
20 billable hours
100 non-billable hours
20 hours training
20 hours pto

The non-billable hours were usually work that is normally billable, but because the manager gave it away, I had to put it in as non-billable. My boss, and his boss know that I'm doing ok, but if you were in the central office wondering why a senior sys-eng is only billing 20 hours a month, someone that doesn't know me or the manager habit would assume I'm slacking.

The new manager of our branch has it all put in as billable time, and then credits the invoice so they client doesn't have to pay, and then the PM has to answer for why his clients who have X billable hours only bring in Y revenue, so the account manager is on the hotseat for it (as he should be). However, for the most part he put an end to that, told all our clients that we aren't a non-profit, and if they want professional services, they have to pay. Of course they chaffed, but I have a huge pipeline of plenty of actual paid work, so I'm 100% busy, which the new manager and the clients bicker over what is covered/not covered by support. He'd rather lose some hours from customers that don't want to pay than lose time I could spend on higher paying, more financially liquid clients.

All in all, I'm busier with more work that pays better, so when higher ups see our office bring in more revenue and I'm at 95% billable hours, the rising tide floats my boat.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Thank you both, I've never had to work in an environment that keeps track of time like that

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Boss at 4pm pinging the team: Hey there's a massive bug with credit cards in production, is anyone still around to take a look?

Me (and everyone else on said team):

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Janitor Prime posted:

Thank you both, I've never had to work in an environment that keeps track of time like that

Just to clarify, my company is REALLY chill about time. It's never ever been an issue, so I don't feel like I'm under the gun. But it's nice to know that when it's time to ask for more money, I can point to my yearly report and specifically say "look, my past year has been almost 99% billable. I wager I'm billed out to clients atleast at $200, so even at 50% billable time I bring in $200k, it's good to know that by rough math I'm in the black.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Boss at 4pm pinging the team: Hey there's a massive bug with credit cards in production, is anyone still around to take a look?

Do you work together? Because I’m pretty sure that happened where I’m at as well. Doesn’t help when verifone cuts their staff in half.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Do your job.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Virigoth posted:

Do your job.

Turns out it wasn't our problem, services team broke the finance service security groups or something dumb. We did find a related bug that wasn't breaking things yet and fixed that though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Virigoth posted:

Do your job.

If the bug has "suddenly" appeared at a time that's nowhere near your team's commits, and you know it's not functionality run by your team's code, you're just getting dragged into the orbit of someone else's problem.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The new GM, starting end of 2017, but an end to that. For the remaining commitments he started sending the clients and invoice for the PS time, but with a credit at the bottom to zero out the invoice so they'd see it had a cost, and he's been weaning them off. It's helped tremendously, since I get so many fewer non-billable hours.

Ouch - hopefully the low billing utilization didnt kill your bonus

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If the bug has "suddenly" appeared at a time that's nowhere near your team's commits, and you know it's not functionality run by your team's code, you're just getting dragged into the orbit of someone else's problem.

Pretty much this. It turned out the financing service (that another team owns) was suddenly hosed. We hadn't touched any checkout code since deployment Wednesday and everything was working fine right up until that message came in, so we knew it was highly unlikely we were causing it.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Bob Morales posted:

We've been slamming mini cans, then full size cans of Coke every other day for the last 3 weeks in our office after watching this LA Beast Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hswjU1UPvws

That's furious pete, they do similar things but are different people. I think he's slightly more tolerable (and less desperate) than LA Beast.

PBS fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 14, 2018

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

PBS posted:

That's furious pete, they do similar things but are different people. I think he's slightly more tolerable (and less desperate) than LA Beast.

On the other hand, LA Beast's sugar-free gummy bears vid is loving hilarious.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I thought LA Beast had to move back home and wa getting therapy for his obvious desire for self destruction

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

dragonshardz posted:

On the other hand, LA Beast's sugar-free gummy bears vid is loving hilarious.

My favorite is the warhead one where he keeps eating even though he has to keep spitting out blood due to having destroyed his tongue with all the sour and candy shards.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Virigoth posted:

Do your job.

would that be the job of not confusing the matter by staying the cluck away from things? :D

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Johnny Aztec posted:

I thought LA Beast had to move back home and wa getting therapy for his obvious desire for self destruction

HAVE A GOOD DAY!

Also congrats, Bob. Long time coming.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

All I can think of when watching his videos is "there is a line between tough and stupid, as they say in hockey, and this guy can't even see it in the rear view mirror."

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Johnny Aztec posted:

Sounds about right. He started his channel at home, was somewhere else for a while (his own place I guess), and you can see his newer videos are back in his garage at home.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Office 365 changed the UI and I HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT

(ok i'm over it)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

tactlessbastard posted:

Office 365 changed the UI and I HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT

(ok i'm over it)

Not changed for me.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Office 365 will always suck rear end regardless of how good or bad the UI is.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Counterpoint Office 365 is Ok, and the UI change is fine.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Office 365 is bad, G Suite is bad, doing email yourself is worse. Hail Satan.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
The most egregious thing is changing folder icons to white. White, dammit!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Finally caught up on this thread from 2016. I've moved up the food chain into an enterprise channel style MSP. For those of you in the Canada, there's kind of a big deal happening tomorrow vis a vis marijuana. The government has reporting regulations for sellers. They have approved SKU lists for regions doing the Liquor Control Board style of supply management. Go live date is tomorrow, and our client doesn't actually have that information. Because it isn't "ready" yet.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

Finally caught up on this thread from 2016. I've moved up the food chain into an enterprise channel style MSP. For those of you in the Canada, there's kind of a big deal happening tomorrow vis a vis marijuana. The government has reporting regulations for sellers. They have approved SKU lists for regions doing the Liquor Control Board style of supply management. Go live date is tomorrow, and our client doesn't actually have that information. Because it isn't "ready" yet.

Welcome, time traveler!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
One day the office 365 outlook search will actually work and return the results I want. Today is not that day.

Also today I learned that the second of November != second week of November and it turns out I scheduled two major migrations with different clients on the same day. Maybe I can do both at once Cyrano de Bergerac style. Although both require me onsite and the sites are 300 miles from each other.

Whoops! Sorry boss here have that to sort out!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Office 365 is bad, G Suite is bad, doing email yourself is worse. Hail Satan.

This is why I send all of my data via RFC 2549

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Jerk McJerkface posted:

One day the office 365 outlook search will actually work and return the results I want. Today is not that day.

Also today I learned that the second of November != second week of November and it turns out I scheduled two major migrations with different clients on the same day. Maybe I can do both at once Cyrano de Bergerac style. Although both require me onsite and the sites are 300 miles from each other.

Whoops! Sorry boss here have that to sort out!

boss: We can cut you in half and you can be at both sites, it will just take you twice as long!
jerkface: ... I'm not sure that's how that works
boss: I can't hear what you said over the sound of my bone saw. Why are you running away?!

That could probably be a conversation I would have with the owner of my company.

I heard a :wtf: story the other day, the owner basically told our architect that he would be extremely happy if our architect was permanently in a wheelchair because he would get so much work done; the owner said he'd make sure to have a diet coke and cigarette dispenser attached....

I know what he wanted to convey, but man, he's a smart guy, can't he think of a better way to say "Hey you're loving awesome, I wish I could squeeze more blood from the rock that is you"

MF_James fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 17, 2018