Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

a cartoon duck posted:

the solution, obviously, is more death animations like touching the Hand of Midas and turning into gold

could be worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTPRY9GHfYw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's such a weird thing to say a game universally agreed as a real good game was 'derailed' because some people found a genuinely creepy comment creepy. What is it with the idea that just the mere act of criticism is basically taking a tire iron to the dev's kneecaps?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

it's such a weird thing to say a game universally agreed as a real good game was 'derailed' because some people found a genuinely creepy comment creepy. What is it with the idea that just the mere act of criticism is basically taking a tire iron to the dev's kneecaps?

I didn't mean that the people talking about it almost derailed it, I mean that he himself almost did with his stupid, creepy comment - like of course people are going to talk about it when you make such comments, that's just natural. It was completely out of touch, completely at odds with the entire history of the series (like, since when has Lara freaking Croft ever been a character that needed protecting from anything lol. Aside from poo poo early '00s Hollywood films, perhaps)...and yeah, just weird and creepy.

Of course, Tomb Raider 2013 ended up being a drat good game which helped...but hey, as can be seen, Rosenberg's poo poo is still something to point at. But it's never not him who's at fault for that.

EDIT: And of course, there's the other bit of context we're missing that actually makes the comments even worse - all this was at the same time people were raising concerns over that one scene in the game that looked like Lara was in danger of being raped.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 12, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I can't watch the Bennett video on hellsing right now because I'm at work, but the first few episodes of the TV series are absolutely better than the first couple Unlimited OVAs in basically every way and you'd be crazy to think otherwise if you did a direct comparison. Visually, musically, and even in adaptation of subject matter, the original series is much better in execution for the early parts, whereas Unlimited looks and sounds like poo poo until like OVA 3 and is far too slavish in adapting the manga point for point.

You mean the manga that was outrageously beloved and people wanted to see properly adapted as an anime?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kim Justice posted:

Much better to simply say that the games have grisly deaths because they've always had them and they're a part of the series.

Except that's also a bad justification.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I can't watch the Bennett video on hellsing right now because I'm at work, but the first few episodes of the TV series are absolutely better than the first couple Unlimited OVAs in basically every way and you'd be crazy to think otherwise if you did a direct comparison. Visually, musically, and even in adaptation of subject matter, the original series is much better in execution for the early parts, whereas Unlimited looks and sounds like poo poo until like OVA 3 and is far too slavish in adapting the manga point for point.

That being said the TV series absolutely goes to poo poo like a third of the way though.

The original anime pulled away from the source material pretty quickly. The first episodes already had stuff in it separate from the manga, like the Freak chips and a bunch of council members that Integra spoke with. It did do a way better job at establishing a mood than Ultimate starting out, but the sheer insanity that the manga/Ultimate reached during and after the Rio mission topped nearly everything the original anime did.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I'm not sure this is the right place but, Rooster teeth trailer for new thing (announced a while ago) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOE4tIKwA3c

Nothing new, the scottish accent sounded familiar and I scroll down

quote:

gen:LOCK features Michael B. Jordan as Julian Chase, Maisie Williams as Cammie MacCloud, Kōichi Yamadera as Kazu Iida, Golshifteh Farahani as Yasamin “Yaz” Madrani, Asia Kate Dillon as Valentina “Val” Romanyszyn, Blaine Gibson as Sinclair and David Tennant as Dr. Rufus Weller aka Doc.

That's a decent amount of starpower for a Rooster teeth show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't have time to watch the video right now but is RT just doing another poorly animated pseudo anime again or are they actually putting effort into this one? They've had star power before, notably Elijah Wood on Red Vs Blue, but they wasted him.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Except that's also a bad justification.

Better than what he did say at the least.

As it stands with Rise and Shadow (TR 2013 was definitely more violent) the deaths in the game seem to be on the same level they always were before except sequences aren't as long and they don't usually go for the most graphic/revealing camera angle. Mark does seem to compare them to the survival horror likes of Resi 4 but Lara's not getting her head taken off with a chainsaw or anything like that. Shadow of Mordor, as Dapper mentioned, is a closer comparison in that it too has death cutscenes that often involve various forms of stabbing or being speared or killed by beasts or what have you, and they don't skimp out on the blood.

In the end...there's loads of games where the men you're playing as die nasty, violent deaths. Personally, speaking as a female player, I don't mind having a series that's the same in that regard and I wouldn't want it to be changed at all.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't have time to watch the video right now but is RT just doing another poorly animated pseudo anime again or are they actually putting effort into this one? They've had star power before, notably Elijah Wood on Red Vs Blue, but they wasted him.

Search your feelings

You know the answer

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Elaborate player death sequences in video games are cool & good unless you masturbate to them in which case you should see a therapist.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean in something like Shadow of Mordor getting violently decapitated by an Orc helps build that adversarial relationship that fuels the Nemesis system. This guy absolutely fucks your poo poo up and then gloats over your dead body, it makes you want to get back at him.

In modern Tomb Raider its always like “oh you sneezed and messed up a scripted sequences, now watch Lara get impaled by a random branch and writhe around a bit”

They did scale back the brutality a bit from the 2013 game but the death sequences still just kinda suck.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I just think of them as like old Sierra death sequences where you inevitably end up dying horribly and it's simply "Thanks for playing! Next time, don't make that mistake again!". Or probably more accurately, it goes all the way back to cinematic platformers like Flashback and Another World where you also have nasty deaths, at least for the time (this is still followed by Limbo and Inside - those are pretty nasty, and it's a kid. But then same applied to Heart of Darkness too) - and those were the games that chiefly inspired the original Tomb Raider, a cinematic platformer only in 3D.

Shadow of Mordor has more panache, yeah. Won't deny that.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Seems relevant to the conversation:

https://youtu.be/xZnKkWd6ZQg

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Aside from the choppy frame rate (which appears to be a stylistic choice, and one I’m increasingly annoyed by as it gains prominence) it largely looks fine*. Though it could be the voice cast carrying it on their shoulders. That said, Rooster Teeth’s animation department never really recovered from Monty Ohm’s death. I can only imagine what gen:Lock would look like if he were still alive.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 12, 2018

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

nine-gear scarecrow posted:

Aside from the choppy frame rate (which appears to be a stylistic choice, and one I’m increasingly annoyed by as it gains prominence)

Anime does this to maintain what is supposed to be similar frame rates to regular 2D animation. I noticed this for the first time in Arpeggio of Blue Steel and Knights of Sidonia, and I don't understand why it was a conscious decision.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You mean the manga that was outrageously beloved and people wanted to see properly adapted as an anime?

I love the poo poo out of Hellsing, but those early chapters are rough as gently caress and the first anime did a stellar job of smoothing out the rough parts and establishing the tone better and just generally improving the introductory arc. Ultimate OVA 1 by contrast is an extremely warts-and-all adaptation that also suffers for having just lovely production values compared to later OVA episodes.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Takoluka posted:

Anime does this to maintain what is supposed to be similar frame rates to regular 2D animation. I noticed this for the first time in Arpeggio of Blue Steel and Knights of Sidonia, and I don't understand why it was a conscious decision.

I am 4 episodes into The Dragon Prince and I'm honestly so baffled by this style. It distracts from everything else in the show became I just do not like looking at it.

There are other problems, such as Callum pulling a Nowe and refusing to even explore the option of talking to the aunt about everything. But I'm willing to see where it leads. There was a lot of hype when it first released so I'm hoping to at least see where that's coming from.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Dragon Prince is really good but Callum kinda sucks even though he's my precious son. The animation didn't bother me but it makes me sad that it was an obstacle for others.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only anime that I've seen recently that did the hybrid 2D and 3D animation well was Gundam The Origin, but even it has some spotty instances. Overall it's pretty effective, because they don't lock the CGI framerate to the 2D framerate but the art style remains consistent.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The only anime that I've seen recently that did the hybrid 2D and 3D animation well was Gundam The Origin, but even it has some spotty instances. Overall it's pretty effective, because they don't lock the CGI framerate to the 2D framerate but the art style remains consistent.

The Fate/Zero and Unlimited Blade Works series have some real good meshing of CGI with the rest of the animation. Type-Moon does some wizardry with their CGI animation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Really it's maintaining a consistent art style that fixes most of the CGI in anime problems. If the CGI and 2D models look like they inhabit the same worldspace it's a lot easier to accept them as being cohesive. To again go back to my point about how dire early 2000s anime looks, stuff like Blue Submarine No.6 or whatever it was called has some great animation that is utterly ruined the minute the eyesore 3D boats and ships crash into the screen. The look cheap as hell and don't match the art style at all so it looks extra poor.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Trojan Kaiju posted:

The Fate/Zero and Unlimited Blade Works series have some real good meshing of CGI with the rest of the animation. Type-Moon does some wizardry with their CGI animation.

So do Kyoto Animation. When they do 3D stuff it's blended so drat well you can't tell.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Really it's maintaining a consistent art style that fixes most of the CGI in anime problems. If the CGI and 2D models look like they inhabit the same worldspace it's a lot easier to accept them as being cohesive. To again go back to my point about how dire early 2000s anime looks, stuff like Blue Submarine No.6 or whatever it was called has some great animation that is utterly ruined the minute the eyesore 3D boats and ships crash into the screen. The look cheap as hell and don't match the art style at all so it looks extra poor.

Yeah, in contrast the studio's later efforts like Last Exile have CG that shows its age in moments but blends a lot better with the 2d stuff.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Good Bad or Bad Bad does an episode on The Incubus, a Twilight rip-off starring a younger version of Tommy Wiseau. I kind of love this.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The makers of Dragon Prince said any seasons onward will have an unnoticable framerate.

There was a Full Metal Alchemist movie with deliberate choppy animation, and it kinda sucked though it was more to do with poor plotting, a focus on uninteresting new cast, and the absence of the manga's author personal touch.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Excuse me but I need my anime to run at an authentic 0-16 FPS just like it did in the 80s when anime was real.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

FoldableHuman posted:

Excuse me but I need my anime to run at an authentic 0-16 FPS just like it did in the 80s when anime was real.

Does McLuhan's theory of hot and cold media have contingencies for FPS

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

For god’s sake, never ask what animes are hot. You are not going to like the answer or the .gifs you’ll have to see.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

framerates in anime aren’t really something that bothers me :shrug:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Framerate isn't really a problem. It's more that combining 3d and 2d modeling can be really difficult to pull off well. Additionally a bad framerate is not as big an issue as poor framing or art direction. Still shots of characters posturing at each other with lame art is a good way to kill visual interest.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

sometimes people run anime through a software to add frames and make the framerate higher and it almost always looks bad

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the only people who have been able to pull off good 2d looking 3d is arcsys in guilty gear xrd/dbfz and those are fighting games with mostly locked perspective and a relatively small amount of unique animations across a set roster of characters

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Part of the reason CG cuts in anime look bad is because usually, every frame is perfectly clear and on-model. The low FPS would be fine if producers were willing to do what Blizzard did for Overwatch and throw a bit of motion blur and stretch-and-squeeze in, but that would defeat the purpose of spending as little money as possible.

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

sometimes people run anime through a software to add frames and make the framerate higher and it almost always looks bad

Anyone who thinks post-added motion interpolation is acceptable should be shot.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
This is like a year old, but since it's october I guess youtube remembered cinemasscre exists. Anyway, learning about the history of some of horror's most iconic setpieces is cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suYKHimQwt4

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

James's horror stuff is always on point, but especially around halloween.

Talkin with Joe Bob Briggs himself

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Rantasmo is back :neckbeard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5sN0JP6pW0

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The main problem that makes 3d animation look so choppy in anime is they don't use any motion blur and rely too much on tweening. To get 3d animation to work well with 2d animation you have to treat it like 2d.

The Guilty Gear technical artist broke down how by being more intentional you can get better results than using more frames and tweening.
https://youtu.be/yhGjCzxJV3E?t=1754

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Did anyone post PhilosophyTube's video on Transphobia? It's get into a lot of the philosophical arguments that are brought in conversations about trans people. It gets into a lot of casual transphobia, compares it to homophobia of years past. It also gets into Pyrrhonism, which is one of the great philosophical poisons in ethical discussion today. Mindless centrism, clouding conversations about progress. You see it a lot in centrist discussion.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoubleCakes posted:

Did anyone post PhilosophyTube's video on Transphobia? It's get into a lot of the philosophical arguments that are brought in conversations about trans people. It gets into a lot of casual transphobia, compares it to homophobia of years past. It also gets into Pyrrhonism, which is one of the great philosophical poisons in ethical discussion today. Mindless centrism, clouding conversations about progress. You see it a lot in centrist discussion.

Yeah I don't know, I kind of lost the thread near the end. If the point was we need to affirm that transgender exists so the law can protect people I get that. But why then include at the end "by the way no one agrees on what gender is" it's kind of deflating the whole point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

OmanyteJackson posted:

Yeah I don't know, I kind of lost the thread near the end. If the point was we need to affirm that transgender exists so the law can protect people I get that. But why then include at the end "by the way no one agrees on what gender is" it's kind of deflating the whole point.

Well yeah. Different trans people will give you different ideas on what it means to be trans or what their gender means, usually because the source of their dysphoria can be very different.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 13, 2018