Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Kimoa Kid posted:

What lovely ratings? The only thing they lose to on cable is Monday Night Football and its immediate pre/postgame programming (and sometimes Fox News, because olds). All ratings are bad. I don't know how many times I can explain this to you guys. It is an indisputable truth. And WWE, like virtually all live programming, has slightly less bad ratings than everything else, hence why major networks still pay hand over fist for it. You keep suggesting that WWE has to see a massive increase in ratings to justify Fox's spending, but you ignore the fact that NBCUniversal nearly doubled their WWE contract while still losing Smackdown, and they're obviously not going to expect a ratings explosion.

I assume I'm going to need to be absolutely explicit for you folks, so I'll add: this is not a defense of WWE. They are a more-evil-than-most corporation that produces a bad product. This is simply a factual description of where WWE's ratings stand in the context of other cable programming.

is this a bit

They lose to news pretty frequently. They also lose to various playoff games and some random specials. The problem is wrestling gets horrible ad rates, so if it isn't doing significantly above your network average all the money you spend on it can't be recouped. So yeah, of regular programming for the year it's #1, but the ads you sell on it are cheap as hell and the fans don't usually stick around to see the show you put on after it.

Raw is fine, if it keeps declining like it has been the last 3 months that could change but I doubt it is possible. Smackdown however is expected to be above 3 million viewers on Fox and it is very close to 2 million now.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Can't say much without betraying honest confidences but I will say WWE's ties with Saudi are deeper than what's public. If a real reporter looks really into things it could be really damning.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Plus Fox bought the rights cause it was sold as a sports program that could keep and grow its ratings and instead its decreasing when the NFL and MLB is growing its ratings. Add in the fact it also as a lead in need to keep local news viewership strong and it's a very risky move (although given the money it's a gamble worth taking for the WWE)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I can't believe Vince loaned Roman Reigns to the Saudis to assassinate a journalist who was critical of the royal family.

Roman couldn't even do THAT right!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It's loving sick that Road Dogg posts here.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

rovert posted:

Can't say much without betraying honest confidences but I will say WWE's ties with Saudi are deeper than what's public. If a real reporter looks really into things it could be really damning.

:tinfoil: I want to believe

TheKingslayer posted:

It's loving sick that Road Dogg posts here.

:lol:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

rovert posted:

If a real reporter looks really into things it could be really damning.

Sometimes it feels like this could be said about 90% of things involving this lovely loving company :smith:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Sometimes it feels like this could be said about 90% of things involving this lovely loving company :smith:

The steroid era stuff would of been enough to sink any other sports league but somehow Vince got away with it cause Wrestling

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

rovert posted:

I believe you because they'd be backpedaling already if deeper things weren't involved especially being a PG family friendly company in bed with people that just got caught doing some really gross poo poo

"Monitoring the situation" or whatever they said is damning in itself when Virgin Group put a 1 billion dollar deal on hold to save face for the moment. You know that agreement is going to be unpaused at some point but it definitely shows WWE should be in damage control mode and not "wait and see how bad it gets" mode.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
In reality, Vince really did touch the orb and is possessed by the ancient spirit of a former Saudi prince/king. That's the deep dark secret WWE is trying to hide.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

rovert posted:

They tortured that journalist by making him marathon Monday Night Raw, I knew it.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Have to imagine there are many journalists trying to crack that story open right now - it'd be a pretty big one now that kidnap, torture and murder are involved

I'm sure there are lots of things being swept up behind the scenes to prevent that

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I feel like federal investigators could dig up quite a bit of dirt on WWE (that we don't know about) if they ever went under the microscope.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

This will all blow over then it's 10 more years of The Big Dog

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Roman Reigns is actually a Saudi Prince.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

rovert posted:

Also I think when it gets to the point of international crimes and scandal you can drop the Dirtsheet code and just leak to the press.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

rovert posted:

This has to do with the orb, doesn't it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They're gonna end up moving this to North Korea so they can break the attendance record aren't they?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

DarkstarIV posted:

I feel like federal investigators could dig up quite a bit of dirt on WWE (that we don't know about) if they ever went under the microscope.

I think any motivation behind moving away from KSA is going to be based around that.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

rovert posted:

Come on, do it kid! Make yourself famous!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

rovert posted:

So what are you waiting for?

Rovert, you're our only hope! GET THE SCOOPS!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

USA is a cable network owned by NBC. Fox is a broadcast network owned by Disney now. The bar for bad ratings is much lower on cable than the bar for bad ratings on broadcast TV. I don't know why this has to keep being pointed out every time someone gets all in their feelings when someone says WWE's ratings are declining and that it's potentially bad news when their run on Fox starts.

Unless I'm mistaken Disney doesn't own the part of Fox that is dealing with WWE. They sold all the creative studio stuff that make stuff and kept the Fox Network, Fox News, and Fox Sports. That's why they made the deal with WWE. They want live "sports" stuff (since that's one of the things still drawing live viewing) made by an outside party that won't have the kind of growing costs that come with original programming.

DarkstarIV posted:

Probably. Chris Murphy speaking out against WWE on this isn't that surprising since he's dipped his toe into the WWE business crimes before when running against Linda McMahon. I don't think he ever really followed through because she wasn't a serious threat, but WWE better hope they stay too insignificant for anyone to care.

I think they will, at least in the short term on this issue. The only thinks that could force WWE to do something are (a) Mass stock sales and Network cancellations as part of an organized boycott by WWE consumers (and lol on them ever doing that), (b) serious sanctions or restrictions put on SA and US businesses dealing with them or Americans traveling (and lol on that), or (c) another business partner like Fox or a major advertiser raising a stink (unlikely, I think, since WWE has such a narrow advertiser pool but probably the most likely of the three).

I mean, unless some reporter breaks something huge by uncovering one of WWE's many, many likely damning bodies. I'm sure that's a possibility but its a question of whether there's actually a good investigative reporter with resources who thinks its worth going after.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 12, 2018

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Fsmhunk posted:

Come on, do it kid! Make yourself famous!

Sorry, not happening.

If the Royal Rumble is sponsored by Heroin or something I will refer to the post obviously.

rovert fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 12, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fox isn’t a major network anymore.

They literally just sold their entire company to Disney except for Fox News and the Fox network, retaining none of its resources or support studios.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

rovert posted:

Don't protect murder supporters.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Two Beans posted:

Don't protect murder supporters.

I doubt his source is a murder supporter or they wouldn't have told him

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Mr. Carlisle posted:

If they didn't go to the press themselves, they're supporting.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

STAC Goat posted:

Unless I'm mistaken Disney doesn't own the part of Fox that is dealing with WWE. They sold all the creative studio stuff that make stuff and kept the Fox Network, Fox News, and Fox Sports. That's why they made the deal with WWE. They want live "sports" stuff (since that's one of the things still drawing live viewing) made by an outside party that won't have the kind of growing costs that come with original programming.

Aphrodite posted:

Fox isn’t a major network anymore.

They literally just sold their entire company to Disney except for Fox News and the Fox network, retaining none of its resources or support studios.

Ah, my mistake. For some reason I was thinking that Fox and it's related networks (except for Fox Sports and their Trump propaganda station that calls itself Fox News) was part of the deal, not just the creative end of things.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Two Beans posted:

If they didn't go to the press themselves, they're supporting.

Supporting murder and supporting self preservation are vastly different things

This is a story about a journalist that was just kidnapped, tortured, then chopped into pieces

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Yes and please move on guys.

I am just saying if WWE is stubborn on this they will likely pay for it image-wise. As there's dirt to be dug but someone who has the expertise to do it. It isn't like I am sitting on a dossier of info or anything. Simply WWE has gotten into bed with some dodgy people who for some reason are really into the Attitude Era. WCW fans were the pure ones.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Tell your source to submit their story to the Washington Post or New York Times or something. They have ways to submit anonymous news tips.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/anonymous-news-tips/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a1351ff29656

https://www.nytimes.com/tips

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

DarkstarIV posted:

Tell your source to submit their story to the Washington Post or New York Times or something. They have ways to submit anonymous news tips.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/anonymous-news-tips/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a1351ff29656

https://www.nytimes.com/tips

It is not that advanced and calm down.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Supporting murder and supporting self preservation are vastly different things

This is a story about a journalist that was just kidnapped, tortured, then chopped into pieces

Rovert shouldn't back down on this. He should keep up his journalism, even if it lands him the same fate as this actual journalist. Especially, even.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i know rovert won't let us down like a coward, he'll be a brave lad and expose the truth, even if it means risking his own life. because that's what heroes do

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I can already tell some people here are going to be mad at Dave when Dave publishes the Vince obit (like he publishes obits for everyone in wrestling who dies) and are stunned at some of what he'll have to say, not having done so while Vince was alive and "could have" been punished with another $100mil in a TV deal

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Ah, my mistake. For some reason I was thinking that Fox and it's related networks (except for Fox Sports and their Trump propaganda station that calls itself Fox News) was part of the deal, not just the creative end of things.

My understanding is that everything in the store was sold but the building itself is still theirs. If that metaphor works. So Fox still owns the network and has to program the schedule but now they no longer own any shows or content to put on it and need to go to outside parties like WWE.

But I'm far from an expert of this stuff nor have I paid a ton of attention. So I might have it all mixed up.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Man why do I still have my subscription, honestly surprised my DSA chapter hasn't called for a BDSesque policy towards KSA which would probably make me cancel

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

I can already tell some people here are going to be mad at Dave when Dave publishes the Vince obit (like he publishes obits for everyone in wrestling who dies) and are stunned at some of what he'll have to say, not having done so while Vince was alive and "could have" been punished with another $100mil in a TV deal

The joke here being that he won't actually say anything disrespectful right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

rovert posted:

It is not that advanced and calm down.

No offense but it's a bit rich to storm in here and tell people you're sitting on a blockbuster news story from a confidential source that would surely spell the end of WWE if word got out about just how deep they are with the KSA, and then when people provide safe ways to help said source get said word out to the mainstream press, you tell them to "calm down".

STAC Goat posted:

My understanding is that everything in the store was sold but the building itself is still theirs. If that metaphor works. So Fox still owns the network and has to program the schedule but now they no longer own any shows or content to put on it and need to go to outside parties like WWE.

But I'm far from an expert of this stuff nor have I paid a ton of attention. So I might have it all mixed up.

I did a little light reading after my last post and it basically sounds like that's the case, all the Fox studios and IP are now under the Disney umbrella while the actual Fox Broadcasting wing isn't (because FCC regulations prohibit them from owning two broadcast networks at the same time, in this case Fox and ABC).

• Locked thread