Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arist posted:

If the idea is that most people who do manage earn enough points eventually ruin it for themselves, I could see that, maybe. But, again, that suggests that Mindy is still the only person to ever even get close to ultimately ending up there, which seems... off.

Yeah exactly. If someone as lovely as Mindy could earn enough points in a single action that SHOULD get her in there if not for a technicality of timing, there's no way LITERALLY NO ONE ELSE has ever managed to get in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I do wonder if the good place is as debauched as the bad place. Once people get into the good place, the accountants stop tallying points, so living there is basically consequence free. Eternal life with everything you could want and no consequences? Yeah, that's going to end well...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

I do wonder if the good place is as debauched as the bad place. Once people get into the good place, the accountants stop tallying points, so living there is basically consequence free. Eternal life with everything you could want and no consequences? Yeah, that's going to end well...

Yeah this is an obvious angle the show is going to bring up. We've seen folks get better in the Bad Place so why can't Good Place earners end up turning into horrible people?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah this is an obvious angle the show is going to bring up. We've seen folks get better in the Bad Place so why can't Good Place earners end up turning into horrible people?

"Janet! I've been curious, what does human flesh taste like?"

EDIT: I just had a mental picture of a flipped version of the scene in the first episode where Janet plays a clip from the Bad Place, but instead it's from the Good Place and it just looks like the Event Horizon log.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 13, 2018

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
When Chidi is trying to teach Michael doesn’t he say something like “if you live forever then ethics doesn’t matter and actions have no consequence”

And Michael only starts to learn after he fears for his death ? Yeah, if the good place doesn’t have a system to keep people there and exile if you go bad, people would probably lose their humanity over time.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

The twist will be all the demons torturing humans are actually people from the good place who got bored.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The twist will be all the demons torturing humans are actually people from the good place who got bored.

That actually would be pretty great except demons don't seem to know enough about the system to have much of an idea how it works.

I mean we have no idea if Michael's "good place" was anywhere close to the real thing.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Harrow posted:

The only way I could see a twist like that working is if it's because the Good Place recognizes that the rules are massively stacked against humans and that they need to intervene or nobody will get in. Like it turns out what Michael and Janet are doing is what the Good Place folks have been doing all along, because if they didn't, almost nobody would actually make it into the Good Place at all.

Though at the same time, that could get a little too "guardian angels" for my taste, but then again I'm sure if any show can twist something like that into an actually complex story then it's this one.

there are accepted teachings in all of the world's major religions that are similar to this :ssh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The real Bad Place was the Good Place all along

In the Bad Place, sure you've got the old penis flattener, but in the Good Place, you've got the unlimited creativity of humans to torture each other

It's probably filled with passive aggressive bullshit

precision fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 13, 2018

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
So maybe the demons working the Bad Place are actually just humans who got into their own versions of the Good Place? :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Problem with that theory: the entire reason Michael came up with The Good Place neighborhood experiment was because humans would not willingly torture each other.

I'm not sure I think that would be true in reality, but from what Michael said it's true in the show's fiction.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If there's going to be a dark twist with the actual Good Place, my idea is that it's actually cessation of existence, run on a cult-like philosophy that life is bad. So all of the Good Place employees are just in charge of cheerfully (and forcefully) directing humans into a machine that erases souls. That'd make for a pretty good "out of the frying pan, into the fire" moment.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mokinokaro posted:

What's horrible about indulging yourself when you've entered a post consequence state?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
If we broadly define bad things as things that hurt other people, and you’re in a place where people can’t really be hurt or deprived or made to do anything they don’t want to do, can you actually do bad?

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Maxwell Lord posted:

If we broadly define bad things as things that hurt other people, and you’re in a place where people can’t really be hurt or deprived or made to do anything they don’t want to do, can you actually do bad?

What if everyone in The Good Place was just immensely bored with continued existence?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
What if the Good Place is just really nice?

Piell fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 13, 2018

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Piell posted:

What if the Good Place is just really nice?

Then there's probably no point in showing it, and probably no way to show much of it without it being a letdown anyway. I think this is a big part of why it seems like fiction often features detailed descriptions of Hell while leaving Heaven rather vague or mysterious.

Edit: watch the gang wind up in the Good Place by act two next week just to make this post look dumb.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

21 Muns posted:

If there's going to be a dark twist with the actual Good Place, my idea is that it's actually cessation of existence, run on a cult-like philosophy that life is bad. So all of the Good Place employees are just in charge of cheerfully (and forcefully) directing humans into a machine that erases souls. That'd make for a pretty good "out of the frying pan, into the fire" moment.

then the good place wouldn't be a cessation of soul. it would be a cattle pen where you stand in line to get into a machine that erases you

the cessation of self is an afterlife idea in multiple of the world's great religions. in these traditions it is not a "dark" idea, but rather the idea that the dead person has successfully become one with goodness, or with the true nature of the universe. your :goonsay: misunderstanding of the idea is something that i really can only just :tipshat: to, though

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 13, 2018

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

NecroMonster posted:

I've said it before. The "good place people" set up the rules this way so no one would ever go to the good place and they would never have to do any work of any kind. The place isn't empty because the rules are dumb, the rules are dumb to keep the place empty.

If the whole lies work if there is a bit of truth to them thing is right, then I think the first episode where the only people who get into the good place are the ones who give both of their kidneys to a person they just met on the bus, that would keep the good place pretty empty to begin with.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Toast Museum posted:

Then there's probably no point in showing it, and probably no way to show much of it without it being a letdown anyway. I think this is a big part of why it seems like fiction often features detailed descriptions of Hell while leaving Heaven rather vague or mysterious.

Edit: watch the gang wind up in the Good Place by act two next week just to make this post look dumb.

see also: Dante's Inferno is kind of a big deal and nobody has ever willingly read Dante's Paradiso

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The season premiere had them say that there are 30 billion souls in The Bad Place, and it seems like it would have been trivial for the writers to research that there have been roughly 100 billion anatomically modern humans ever, so I'm going to take this as an implicit confirmation that 63-70 billion people (accounting for those still living) have made it to The Good Place, and that the overly harsh requirements were a lie. Or maybe they were true and the other 70 billion or so people... are I dunno, just floating around the universe as ghosts?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The one thing we know for sure is that none of the four humans qualify to make it into the good place. Chidi was definitely a good person, Tahani and Jason were flawed but they certainly weren't bad people, even Eleanor doesn't deserve to be tortured for eternity.

Either there is a twist to the story, or the requirements are actually really high if you want to get into the good place.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The requirements might just be high to prevent the dilemma of 'what incentive is there for Good People to not stop being good?'. Ergo, they only pick people so good that they wouldn't even seriously consider letting themselves be bad.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

We know there definitely is a good place and that it's staffed, because Michael stole Janet from a Janet warehouse, inferring the existence of others.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Now I kind of want to see "God" or whatever board of directors passes for "God" that sets the point totals for various acts and oversees the Good and Bad Places.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 13, 2018

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I don't think Chidi was a good person necessarily. He semi-willingly ruined everything for everyone around him. He never did anything really horrible that we know about but he also never did anything good. He cared more about rules and theories than helping actual people. He was a Pharisee.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Maxwell Lord posted:

I imagine it's like griefing in an MMO; just because you can't lose anything of substance doesn't mean you're not annoying someone and ruining whatever they were doing at the time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oasx posted:

Either there is a twist to the story, or the requirements are actually really high if you want to get into the good place.

I think the requirements are just really, really high.

Ultimately I think this show, like all of Mike Schur’s shows, is really optimistic about human nature. I don’t think a dark twist would really work here. My guess is that it’s just super hard to get in and maybe even the Good Place architects/staff/etc agree with Michael’s belief that the system is deeply flawed and unfair to humans, but it isn’t up to them.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I don't think Chidi was a good person necessarily. He semi-willingly ruined everything for everyone around him. He never did anything really horrible that we know about but he also never did anything good. He cared more about rules and theories than helping actual people. He was a Pharisee.

Chidi was so indecisive because he did want to be a good and ethical person, but as we know the road to hell is paved with good intentions... Just a little more literally in his case.

That said, I don't think Chidi was a bad guy, but he definitely wasn't good either.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

there are accepted teachings in all of the world's major religions that are similar to this :ssh:

Well, right, and I think that's sort of why it'd be an odd fit for this show. Like it's all very Touched by an Angel, y'know? But I do think if any show could do a story like that without it being the kind of cloying "angels watching over us" plot we've seen before on other shows, it's The Good Place.

Though, one other thought about the "Simone is a Good Place agent" theory. I hope she isn't--I like the idea that she's just a really cool human--but if she is, I like what that says about what the Good Place (the place) is. Simone isn't cloyingly nice and boring and sweet all day long. She's sort of... aggressively well-adjusted. She's funny and smart and though she's very kind, she's kind in a no-nonsense, "the truth hurts" kind of way. She's self-assured and confident, and she's accepting of other people's foibles even as she helps them avoid hurting themselves by going too far down those paths. If she's an indication of what the Good Place is like, then it's not the boringly "everything is fuzzy and warm and don't think too hard" nice place that Michael's facsimile Good Place was. It'd be something a lot more interesting and a lot more human.

Another possibility is that the Good Place is boring and full of the sort of empty niceness that it looks like it might be, and Simone (again, if she's a supernatural being in the first place) is a rogue Good Place agent the same way Michael is a rogue Bad Place agent, who recognizes that the whole system is flawed and nobody is truly happy. That could be an interesting plot, too.

But again: I'd prefer it if Simone was just a regular human who happens to be a very good and cool regular human.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 13, 2018

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

NecroMonster posted:

I've said it before. The "good place people" set up the rules this way so no one would ever go to the good place and they would never have to do any work of any kind. The place isn't empty because the rules are dumb, the rules are dumb to keep the place empty.

I'm not sure this is right because we know the Good Place fought to get Mindy St. Claire and only begrudgingly accepted the Medium Place deal.

Thematically, I think it's better if everyone in the afterlife has good intentions but never stopped to question the system. They just assume that because it has always been there, it must be working, ignoring that 99% of humanity is suffering for all eternity because they didn't fluke into a Good Point boon like Mindy or grow up in an environment where good behavior was encouraged.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Maybe Simone's terrible accent is actually a clue that she's a good person agent pretending to be an Australian woman.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I saw an interview with Schur in which he mentioned doing more research into psychology this year instead of just ethics and he specifically cited the Milgram experiment that shows people are way too trusting of people in charge. People who "have lab coats and clip boards."

So I definitely think Simone is not everything she seems.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
She's probably still just a regular scientist, but we don't know a lot about her own ethics. It's possible that down the road, she might want to do some experiment a la Milgram that isn't ethical, and it gives the group reason for pause.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

thanks alot assbag posted:

She's probably still just a regular scientist, but we don't know a lot about her own ethics. It's possible that down the road, she might want to do some experiment a la Milgram that isn't ethical, and it gives the group reason for pause.

Especially if she gets her hands on fully operational Janet capabilities. :getin:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Actually thinking about it I'd like to watch a spinoff that's just Janet walking the earth and telling everyone what they need to know.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I see from context that $18,000 is actually a lot of money.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Harrow posted:

Well, right, and I think that's sort of why it'd be an odd fit for this show. Like it's all very Touched by an Angel, y'know? But I do think if any show could do a story like that without it being the kind of cloying "angels watching over us" plot we've seen before on other shows, it's The Good Place.

Though, one other thought about the "Simone is a Good Place agent" theory. I hope she isn't--I like the idea that she's just a really cool human--but if she is, I like what that says about what the Good Place (the place) is. Simone isn't cloyingly nice and boring and sweet all day long. She's sort of... aggressively well-adjusted. She's funny and smart and though she's very kind, she's kind in a no-nonsense, "the truth hurts" kind of way. She's self-assured and confident, and she's accepting of other people's foibles even as she helps them avoid hurting themselves by going too far down those paths. If she's an indication of what the Good Place is like, then it's not the boringly "everything is fuzzy and warm and don't think too hard" nice place that Michael's facsimile Good Place was. It'd be something a lot more interesting and a lot more human.

Another possibility is that the Good Place is boring and full of the sort of empty niceness that it looks like it might be, and Simone (again, if she's a supernatural being in the first place) is a rogue Good Place agent the same way Michael is a rogue Bad Place agent, who recognizes that the whole system is flawed and nobody is truly happy. That could be an interesting plot, too.

But again: I'd prefer it if Simone was just a regular human who happens to be a very good and cool regular human.

See, I don't think the "Simone is a Good Place Agent" theory works. The judge checked in on the 4 humans, and immediately recognized everyone who wasn't a human. If Simone was a good place agent, the Judge should be able to see that immediately and she would have been grabbed by the doorman as well. I think she's just a decent human being.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Koalas Massacre posted:

Chidi was so indecisive because he did want to be a good and ethical person, but as we know the road to hell is paved with good intentions... Just a little more literally in his case.

That said, I don't think Chidi was a bad guy, but he definitely wasn't good either.

I dunno. I feel like he has a clear mental illness that goes beyond merely choosing to be indecisive. We see a lot of examples of how much pain it brings him throughout his life and he's still unable to alter his behavior. Can we really attach a moral value to that? Perhaps it could be said that him not seeking therapy for it was immoral, but I don't know that that deserves eternal damnation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

I dunno. I feel like he has a clear mental illness that goes beyond merely choosing to be indecisive. We see a lot of examples of how much pain it brings him throughout his life and he's still unable to alter his behavior. Can we really attach a moral value to that? Perhaps it could be said that him not seeking therapy for it was immoral, but I don't know that that deserves eternal damnation.

Yeah I relate to Chidi alot but that's because I have an anxiety disorder so making decisions suuucks because I'm always examining the smallest choices from 73936 different angles. Therapy has helped a lot though!

Ironically I used to have a big problem with impulsivity 🤷🏾‍♀️